Transgender Athletes

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
One theory is that's it's evolution and providing everyone with the equal ability to survive. This makes a lot of sense.
Sexual dimorphism in humans isn't just because of mate attraction though. Given the timeline late evolution would have been mostly as we were hunter-gatherers, but as now our babies require much more time in nurture than in other species. You can gather with a baby on your back or a toddler at your feet, but hunting would be a different matter, so I'd look to that for an explanation of a fair chunk of sexual differentiation. Only musings, I'm no expert.

Tarrou

I can't believe people even attempt to defend this.

It's ridiculously unfair on biological women.
Genuinely speaking though, what percentage of the population do you actually think would defend this? I'd guess, honestly, less than 2%.

I mean, it just seems like such a minority view-point to me compared to the amount of coverage it gets in the media. In my small world at least. I've never spoken to a single person who thinks trans-women should be competing in women's athletic events.

But there are surely a lot of people like myself (I'd like to think a majority) who do genuinely want a more equitable and accepting society for trans people. I think the media and politicians deliberately conflates the two groups.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Genuinely speaking though, what percentage of the population do you actually think would defend this? I'd guess, honestly, less than 2%.

I mean, it just seems like such a minority view-point to me compared to the amount of coverage it gets in the media. In my small world at least. I've never spoken to a single person who thinks trans-women should be competing in women's athletic events.

But there are surely a lot of people like myself (I'd like to think a majority) who do genuinely want a more equitable and accepting society for trans people. I think the media and politicians deliberately conflates the two groups.
Yeah this is the thing. That race on the last page is not right, but then when you have people using such an issue to then discredit the whole trans movement, naturally you get people pushing back. The twitter page that posted the race is clearly run by someone who hates transpeople and seems to present small incidents as if they were the the norm.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Yeah this is the thing. That race on the last page is not right, but then when you have people using such an issue to then discredit the whole trans movement, naturally you get people pushing back. The twitter page that posted the race is clearly run by someone who hates transpeople and seems to present small incidents as if they were the the norm.
This is it in a nutshell. Some crazed trans-identifying individual, who looks like a man wearing mascara, is posted on twitter screaming that it's their right to use the ladies toilet, and thousands of people pile on. We see it with the far right in Ireland on social media, too. A foreign looking chap is filmed fighting in Dublin city centre and it's portrayed as an invasion of criminals trying to wipe out the indigenous population. Everyone starts whipping each other into a frenzy. Extremes get amplified. Attitudes get polarised. Someone gets hurt. But most people just want a quiet life and to be happy.

I got sent loads of tweets by an account called Males in Disguise a while back. There were loads of screenshots from reddit subforums, centred around trans issues, where the OP posted pics of themselves, asking if they 'passed' as a woman. They clearly didn't, leading to much derision and nastiness from the people who replied to the tweets.

I went to the subreddits myself, expecting nearly every post to be a picture of an individual who didn't appear very feminine, asking if they looked like a woman. And there were some. But they were in the very tiny minority. You'd have to scroll through 30 or 40 posts to find one. But, if you only knew about trans issues via this Males in Disguise account, you'd be forgiven for thinking that every transwoman had male-patterened baldness and 5 o'clock shadow.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
There's like 3 or 4
Yeah, social media will make it seems like its happening every day rather than the rare occurrence.

While it is rare, I recall a lot of people did push back, claiming that concerns around this was "it will never happen" rather than understand that it could happen and that concerns weren't all based around bigotry (conceding some are).

Now it's gone from "it will never happen" to "it's rare"

Then it will be "...well, it happens but it isn't a big deal..."

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yeah, social media will make it seems like its happening every day rather than the rare occurrence.

While it is rare, I recall a lot of people did push back, claiming that concerns around this was "it will never happen" rather than understand that it could happen and that concerns weren't all based around bigotry (conceding some are).

Now it's gone from "it will never happen" to "it's rare"

Then it will be "...well, it happens but it isn't a big deal..."
trans women are getting banned from womens sports, and with the general bans on early transition, they will soon be totally gone. happy days!