Transgender Athletes

Charlie Foley

Did I say that? I'm thinking not.

So is skin colour and religion. Just because you can categorise something doesn't mean you should divide people in that way. Usually when you do it you do it to advantage and showcase people and not exclude them. However, I'm not advocating for or against inclusion of transgender people in elite sport as there is an obvious issue with transgender women having a physical advantage in many/most cases.

Only to you but life is more nuanced than that. The fact that the world is struggling with the issue suggests that it isn't that simple. Nobody seems to have an issue with transgender men competing in elite male competition for example. So we are really talking about only creating a separate competition for transgender women to compete against each other. Given that this is in effect a ban it has to considered and deliberated upon as you are formalising discrimination in a couple of ways and if you have to do this you want to be very certain it is the best, or least shit, option. Or if you go down the regulating testosterone level route it strikes me that mandating such an intervention for non-medical reasons has significant ethical issues attached.

I can see both perspectives as I have a son playing elite sport and a transgender nephew, and it is a hard life especially as you transition and given that being recognised as the gender you are (not the sex) is a major step in healing the damage your gender dysphoria the world treating all transgender women as other in the way you suggest is harmful to all, and not just the odd person prevented from competing. It could be argued that the wellbeing of transgender women is more important than mere sport. I wouldn't argue this as I don't think sport is "mere" anything and at the elite level the time, effort and dedication is not only admirable but something we need to retain the integrity of. My son plays his sport at a fairly elite level. If he transitioned he would be easily the best female player in the world, by a significant margin. Such whataboutisms are however dangerous if that is all you consider.

As I have said repeatedly I don't know (or see) an easy solution and it may well be that the least shit option is not allowing transgender women to compete at the elite level. But I think the issue deserves more discussions and debate than "Its obviously a bloke".

And there is also far more to sport than the elite level. This is an interesting read.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/trans-athletes-win-boys-sports
Really not the point and I don’t want to rest on it too long but fecking hell, good for your son that he’s doing whatever at the level he’s at.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I also think viewing this as transgender men are ok because we allow kids to play in older age groups but transgender men aren't because they may have a physical advantage is a rather simplistic way of thinking about it.
Well, for me is a very simple situation. A woman, or a transgender man, doesn't have an athletic advantage so there isn't so much of a problem or at least people won't consider something unfair.

I brought the case just to illustrate the perception on how different the reactions have been in comparison with Lia Thomas. In his case I see no problem with him competing against women, although I think he does plan to compete with men eventually.

So what do you do about intersex people? Merely banning transgender people from participating in sport seems like a very blunt instrument just so that we don't have to look for a more complex or nuanced approach. Certainly at non-elite levels I think the harm far outweighs the benefit. The issue that needs to be resolved is really at elite levels of sport IMO.
I don't see it as a ban, they still could compete but not in the women division of the sport.

As for intersex I don't know much about it, but if it's something you're born with, like a genetic condition, then I think it depends; like if they wanted to participate in the women division and is determined they don't have an athletic advantage because of their condition then there shouldn't be a problem with them participating in the category they want.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Really not the point and I don’t want to rest on it too long but fecking hell, good for your son that he’s doing whatever at the level he’s at.
Thanks. He plays water polo, is almost 2m tall, 215kgs, quick in the water and a left handed centre forward, so a bit unique. Paris 2024 is his aim. In terms of male vs female performance in a very physical sport, the U16 junior male Australian team easily beat the national women's tean when they trained together and the AU women are usually close to medaling at most Olympics. And to show how hard this subject is he both loves and wants to support his cousin (not thst he is an athlete) but also recognises how dominant transgender men could be.

Last edited:

stepic

for those who would argue trans women should compete with men, would you be OK with trans men competing with women then?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They do, but where sports are using testosterone limits it can mean they have to come off their testosterone supplements to compete. Not a good situation for the athlete, but practical in sporting terms.
I was just wondering this - to what extent are the drugs prescribed to those fully transitioning in violation with athletics drugs/doping regulations? If there's X amount of testosterone you aren't allowed to be taking whilst competing, is there a female equivalent?

MadMike

I was just wondering this - to what extent are the drugs prescribed to those fully transitioning in violation with athletics drugs/doping regulations? If there's X amount of testosterone you aren't allowed to be taking whilst competing, is there a female equivalent?
As far as I know in elite level competition for sports where strength or speed are crucial, there's a 0 tolerance policy towards exogenous testosterone. That means testosterone that isn't naturally produced by your body. It's considered an anabolic drug and modern tests can detect presence of exogenous testosterone. Because once you allow for that you open a whole can of worms about how much testosterone everyone is allowed and policing that would be even harder.

That means you won't find transmale athletes at Olympic weight-lifting events (as an example) because they need exogenous testosterone to even get to the male testosterone spectrum. Never mind the high end of that, which is where you will find most elite athletes of strength-based events.

And that is also the flipside of this. While we are allowing transwomen who use t-blockers to take part in elite competition for women, transmen are de facto excluded from elite level sport due to the drug regulations by WADA. So it's a one way street and also unfair to half the trans population. It's just a mess really.

The Purley King

Only to you but life is more nuanced than that.
Its really not in this instance it is extremely straightforward.
If you are born a male and transition to become a female you cannot compete in professional/elite level sports against other females.
Its a completely unfair advantage and it should not be permitted. Would you allow performance enhancing drug users to compete? Same answer and for the same reason, "No, because its an unfair advantage".

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If you are born a male and transition to become a female you cannot compete in professional/elite level sports against other females.
Its a completely unfair advantage and it should not be permitted. Would you allow performance enhancing drug users to compete? Same answer and for the same reason, "No, because its an unfair advantage".
In this case the opposite occurs. Performance limiting medication is often required. As I've said before the issues are nowhere near as simple as you say even if the end result is a least shit decision that does exclude transgender men. To dismiss such a significant decision so easily further diminishes transgender people imo.

Which most people don't seem to care about at all.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
As far as I know in elite level competition for sports where strength or speed are crucial, there's a 0 tolerance policy towards exogenous testosterone. That means testosterone that isn't naturally produced by your body. It's considered an anabolic drug and modern tests can detect presence of exogenous testosterone. Because once you allow for that you open a whole can of worms about how much testosterone everyone is allowed and policing that would be even harder.

That means you won't find transmale athletes at Olympic weight-lifting events (as an example) because they need exogenous testosterone to even get to the male testosterone spectrum. Never mind the high end of that, which is where you will find most elite athletes of strength-based events.

And that is also the flipside of this. While we are allowing transwomen who use t-blockers to take part in elite competition for women, transmen are de facto excluded from elite level sport due to the drug regulations by WADA. So it's a one way street and also unfair to half the trans population. It's just a mess really.
So difficult to navigate without giving cause to justifiable discontent one way or another.

I guess one solution would be to ban the us of t-blockers in athletics, but then you open up the possibility of having women participants with their original - or close to - testosterone levels competing.

From a sporting perspective it would seem the fairest solution to only permit trans competitors who transitioned pre-puberty to compete, but that opens a whole new can of worms in itself as there would be potentially more and more people pushing for the procedures at an early stage/puts those who transition later on in life on the periphery.

Charlie Foley

Thanks. He plays water polo, is almost 2m tall, 215kgs, quick in the water and a left handed centre forward, so a bit unique. Paris 2024 is his aim. In terms of male vs female performance in a very physical sport, the U16 junior male Australian team easily beat the national women's tean when they trained together and the AU women are usually close to medaling at most Olympics. And to show how hard this subject is he both loves and wants to support his cousin (not thst he is an athlete) but also recognises how dominant transgender men could be.
215kg?!? Do you mean pounds? Or does he block out the sun?

left handed is interesting. I am both left handed and footed which was interesting in a number of sports.

stepic

it's only straightforward to you because you don't care about discrimination against trans people, who are already one of the most marginalised groups in society. whether you agree with transgender women in sports or not, to categorise it as 'straightforward' is just inaccurate.

Carolina Red

Staff
it's only straightforward to you because you don't care about discrimination against trans people, who are already one of the most marginalised groups in society. whether you agree with transgender women in sports or not, to categorise it as 'straightforward' is just inaccurate.
“the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.”

One could just as easily argue that what’s happening to biological female athletes is unjust and prejudicial.

JohnZSmith27

How do you know he/she doesn't care about discrimination against trans people. I don't think trans women should compete in events where on average males will have an advantage. But that doesn't mean I am ok with discrimination against them. In this case aren't they marginalizing themselves somewhat? They made the decision to transition and in the case of Lia Thomas could have continued to compete with the other males. Instead she's decided she wants to compete with the females where she has an advantage and we expect the biological women to be ok with it or be called bigots.

Trans people deserve the opportunity to compete just like they did before their decision to transition. But it seems unfair to me that they should be allowed to compete with the opposite sex because they choose to identify as such.

stepic

One could just as easily argue that what’s happening to biological female athletes is unjust and prejudicial.
hence it's not straightforward.

but there is no evidence to suggest trans women are systematically taking over women's sports - and most of the outcry here and elsewhere is what 'might' happen in the future. As someone else rightly stated, Lia's time has been bettered by other cis women. there is never an equal playing field when it comes to sports, trans or cis. it's alarm bells to me when people only have an issue when a trans woman wins, and ignores it when they lose. it's just confirmation bias. you will argue well no trans woman should ever win a race because that meant they had an advantage, ignoring the fact that every man or woman who competes has natural advantages over others.

what you are proposing is that no trans woman should ever be allowed to compete in sports, which is clearly a line that many think is too far, and is obviously massively discriminatory.

i'm not even saying we have it correct right now. but the answer shouldn't just be - ban trans women from competing.

But that doesn't mean I am ok with discrimination against them. In this case aren't they marginalizing themselves somewhat? They made the decision to transition and in the case of Lia Thomas could have continued to compete with the other males. Instead she's decided she wants to compete with the females where she has an advantage and we expect the biological women to be ok with it or be called bigots.

Trans people deserve the opportunity to compete just like they did before their decision to transition. But it seems unfair to me that they should be allowed to compete with the opposite sex because they choose to identify as such.
why would a trans woman - a woman - want to compete with men? have you heard of gender dysphoria? you make it sounds like she's made a calculated decision to compete with women because she's got a better chance of winning that way. no, she's choosing to compete against women because she's a woman.

Carolina Red

Staff

but there is no evidence to suggest trans women are systematically taking over women's sports - and most of the outcry here and elsewhere is what 'might' happen in the future. As someone else rightly stated, Lia's time has been bettered by other cis women. there is never an equal playing field when it comes to sports, trans or cis. it's alarm bells to me when people only have an issue when a trans woman wins, and ignores it when they lose. it's just confirmation bias. you will argue well no trans woman should ever win a race because that meant they had an advantage, ignoring the fact that every man or woman who competes has natural advantages over others.

what you are proposing is that no trans woman should ever be allowed to compete in sports, which is clearly a line that many think is too far, and is obviously massively discriminatory.

i'm not even saying we have it correct right now. but the answer shouldn't just be - ban trans women from competing.
I don’t care that an Olympic gold medalist has bested Lia Thomas’ time. I care that two Olympic silver medalists didn’t, I care that multiple women are not an All-Americans in their events now, and I care that other women aren’t national qualifiers. Lia Thomas doesn’t have to break world records to still break the sport and have huge knock on effects for other swimmers competing against her.

I’ve been posting against this sort of thing for a long time now. The reason folks bring up when the trans athlete wins is because initially the defense was “well they’re not winning anything” and the response was “yet”… well, “yet” has come, and it is going to be pointed out. Your alarm bells notwithstanding.

What I have proposed is that no transwomen should compete against biological women. It would be nice if you avoided putting words in my mouth in the future.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I said to myself I wasnt going to reply to this thread again because people don't listen. But what % of performance decrease would be acceptable over a period of time to make the competition fair (for those who think that trans woman shouldn't compete?) Surely it should be on average the difference between men's and women average category performance? So lets say if I performed in a sport at a 12/16 scale as a male (10 being the highest anyone could score regardless), and the average for the same ranking female was 8/16, then if I took 3 years of HRT and my performance decreased to 8/16. Surely that should be seen as fair? Regardless of anything else. This also leaves out the fact less females than males compete in the first place, so rank 50 for female would probably not be as strong in comparison to male because of less competition.

stepic

What I have proposed is that no transwomen should compete against biological women. It would be nice if you avoided putting words in my mouth in the future.
i've done nothing of the sort. asking trans women to compete against men is a non-starter, because they're not men, so yes, you are therefore saying to ban trans women from sports.

The Purley King

In this case the opposite occurs. Performance limiting medication is often required. As I've said before the issues are nowhere near as simple as you say even if the end result is a least shit decision that does exclude transgender men. To dismiss such a significant decision so easily further diminishes transgender people imo.

Which most people don't seem to care about at all.
I think we'll disagree on this one. It is a very easy decision to make in my opinion.
You cannot reverse the natural advantages you get from being a male whilst going through puberty. It doesn't "diminish" anyone to recognise that fact, its just a fact.

JohnZSmith27

why would a trans woman - a woman - want to compete with men? have you heard of gender dysphoria? you make it sounds like she's made a calculated decision to compete with women because she's got a better chance of winning that way. no, she's choosing to compete against women because she's a woman.
I don't know her motivations and I don't claim

Because in the interest of fairness, whether she wants to compete with females rather than other males should not come into it. Some sports are separated by sex for a reason. Lia is male as you are well aware. We rightly refer to her as she/her/woman out of respect for how she identifies but it doesn't mean we have to pretend biology doesn't exist.

Carolina Red

Staff
i've done nothing of the sort. asking trans women to compete against men is a non-starter, because they're not men, so yes, you are therefore saying to ban trans women from sports.
Taking hormone therapy does not change the fact that Lia Thomas was born a biological male and spent the better part of 2 decades physically developing as a male. I’m sorry, but that’s a simple biological fact.

Socially and psychologically, is Lia Thomas a woman? Sure.

Biologically? No… and that affects the issue of fairness in athletic competition.

The Purley King

I have no issue at all with transgender people. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through that process and have people look at you weirdly and suffer discrimination as a result of it and I have every sympathy. However, I do have an issue with transwomen competing against biological women, because they have an clear unfair advantage. It is an entirely straightforward decision and to claim otherwise is disingenuous.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The way I see it it's already a problem, it doesn't need to be hundreds or thousands of transgender women winning stuff. Having just one competing at the elite level already goes against the integrity of the sport. When competing as a man she wasn't getting the same results and she doesn't need to win first place to disrupt the whole event. She's already displacing girls for the finals who already feel they were done dirty.

Then you have the fact that even if allowed to compete like Lia Thomas people would just refuse to accept the results of the competition. Everyone was cheering for the second place, Emma Weyant, and calling her the true winner. There's just going to be an asterisk next to every mark and time she registers and her achievements won't be recognized as the ones of a woman but of a transgender woman.

Also there is nothing 'natural' about consuming hormones, blocking them, or whatever. The 'natural' thing instead would be to have people compete according to their biological sex.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I said to myself I wasnt going to reply to this thread again because people don't listen. But what % of performance decrease would be acceptable over a period of time to make the competition fair (for those who think that trans woman shouldn't compete?) Surely it should be on average the difference between men's and women average category performance? So lets say if I performed in a sport at a 12/16 scale as a male (10 being the highest anyone could score regardless), and the average for the same ranking female was 8/16, then if I took 3 years of HRT and my performance decreased to 8/16. Surely that should be seen as fair? Regardless of anything else. This also leaves out the fact less females than males compete in the first place, so rank 50 for female would probably not be as strong in comparison to male because of less competition.
I've no idea how you would run that experiment. On the face of it, sporting "fair" would be finishing tenth in the men's event and following transition coming tenth in the women's - though how that allows for better/worse, technique/training and commitment as an athlete matures, I don't know. Over time you might be able to build a dataset for that in some timed/measured athletics and swimming events - we're years away from having that kind of data though. I've no idea how you'd get that data at all for an elite tennis player or footballer.

Elite is important in this context. Broadly, if you were in intense training prior to taking testosterone suppressants and continue training through transition you can carry a lot of that testosterone-fed muscle forward.

If you aren't in hard training during transition, you will lose significantly more muscle mass and will find it much harder to rebuild it. Inclusivity below the elite level, and looking for ways to support trans-women who want to participate is a much simpler matter or should be. In most sports and most categories, it should be possible to allow equal participation in those levels. That said, I know some like rugby are drawing up policies to say that it only applies to non-contact forms of the game.

There are also questions around why some sports are divided at all. Horse riding events in general are mixed, but they're the rarity. It's not obvious why most shooting disciplines are divided by sex for example. Some sports are divided primarily for marketing reasons or to encourage more female participation (like darts!). I don't see any reason why the default policy in those sports can't be inclusion.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think that's going to fly, or a good approach to handle this. The performance difference isn't something you can measure, or calculate, accurately. It's not the same for every sport and the differences in performances don't come solely out of the different levels in testosterone.

No matter how you put it they would still been seen as biological males, so regardless of what you do people won't see it as fair, specially the women competing against them.

MadMike

I guess one solution would be to ban the us of t-blockers in athletics, but then you open up the possibility of having women participants with their original - or close to - testosterone levels competing.
T-blockers are not an issue because they are not a performance enhancer. They are a performance inhibitor. A transwoman not taking T-blockers is unfortunately biologically and hormonally still a man, thus competing in female only competitions would be a gross injustice to biologically female competitors.

From a sporting perspective it would seem the fairest solution to only permit trans competitors who transitioned pre-puberty to compete, but that opens a whole new can of worms in itself as there would be potentially more and more people pushing for the procedures at an early stage/puts those who transition later on in life on the periphery.
Yes it would create even more of a minefield.

But honestly I don't really understand this at a fundamental level. Sport that requires strength, speed & endurance has always been something that only a very small percent of the population could practice at elite level due to genetics. I couldn't be an elite swimmer however much I tried. Because I'm 5' 9" and the wrong body-shape, when and the average height for male swimmers is 6' 2" with wide a chest and slim legs. It's not a limitation that ultimately bothers me, because y'know there's thousands of other things I can do professionally and I can still swim recreationally whenever I feel like.

It seems to me that choosing to not be a professional sportsperson post-transition (just for the specific sports where your pre-transition biology will grant you an advantage) out of both fairness to the other athletes and to avoid courting controversy, is a tiny teeny sacrifice to make in the grand scheme of things. You're literally no worse than someone who was not genetically gifted to compete at that sport, at elite level.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
There are also questions around why some sports are divided at all. Horse riding events in general are mixed, but they're the rarity. It's not obvious why most shooting disciplines are divided by sex for example. Some sports are divided primarily for marketing reasons or to encourage more female participation (like darts!). I don't see any reason why the default policy in those sports can't be inclusion.
I think there's also a psychological element to it. For example I think in gaming, or esports, there aren't gender categories, in theory both men and women have the same opportunity to compete and be part of the best teams but still the scene is complete dominated by men, although there have been some girls here and there is something extremely rare for them to compete at the highest level.

So like I was saying there might something else other than physical abilities, like shooters and other genres of gaming are more about you're coordination and reflexes; which also explains why the scene is also dominated by men in their early 20s. Something similar could be interpreted for diverse categories of car racing but even in chess the men perform better than women. There have been some studies about it and like I said there was a psychological element about male competing in sports against women. Like in chess the girls would perform worse against men of their same ELO, while the men would become more stubborn if they know their playing against a woman.

So take that the elite level where the differences are the smallest margins. If the girls are aware they're competing against a biological men that in itself could be defeated even before the competition begins just by the lingering notion that it is an unfair matchup.

It's really a very complicated issue to try to determine and measure exactly the performance differences sadly.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
215kg?!? Do you mean pounds? Or does he block out the sun?

left handed is interesting. I am both left handed and footed which was interesting in a number of sports.
Typo. 115kg :)

Being a lefty in water polo is valued. It makes you better able to shoot from the right side of the pool (less acute angle on the shot) and in his position, centre forward, it tends to make you harder to defend as defenses train to mark and block right-handers.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Am I misunderstanding or is someone saying that because one of thee best women swimmers of all time has a faster time than Thomas, thats an argument for Thomas not dominating other women?

stepic

Am I misunderstanding or is someone saying that because one of thee best women swimmers of all time has a faster time than Thomas, thats an argument for Thomas not dominating other women?
Plenty of cis women have faster times than Thomas. She finished 8th in the 100 yard freestyle like 3 days ago. Funnily enough no one cares about that, the end of women’s sport as we know it only happens when a trans woman wins something.

Carolina Red

Staff
Plenty of cis women have faster times than Thomas. She finished 8th in the 100 yard freestyle like 3 days ago. Funnily enough no one cares about that, the end of women’s sport as we know it only happens when a trans woman wins something.
You realize that’s 8th out of the entirety of the NCAA Division I?

Do you even know what that means?

arnie_ni

8th Out of how many?

Even at that, what do you say to comfort those women that have trained all their lives and are now 9th and below?

stepic

You realize that’s 8th out of the entirety of the NCAA Division I?

Do you even know what that means?
No place would be good enough for you, though. Even if she finished 100th that would mean a cis woman somewhere down the line missed out.

You basically just want to ban trans women from women’s sports. It’s not even about them being successful or dominant. If you don’t see how problematic that sounds I don’t know what will.

Carolina Red

Staff
Just asked this, can you explain the numbers please
Division I of the NCAA are the biggest collegiate athletic programs in the country. They get the best recruits, have the best facilities, the most funding, etc. There are 200 NCAA D1 women’s swim teams, all with a scholarship allotment of 14. Those 14 scholarships are frequently divided up and given as partials to increase roster size.

The NCAA tournament is the end of the season and you have to qualify for it. 281 women qualified for the tournament out of those 200 D1 programs. There were a total of 60 women in the 100 freestyle event.

No place would be good enough for you, though. Even if she finished 100th that would mean a cis woman somewhere down the line missed out.

You basically just want to ban trans women from women’s sports. It’s not even about them being successful or dominant. If you don’t see how problematic that sounds I don’t know what will.
So the answer is no. You have no clue what the NCAA tournament is. (See above)

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I dont think this is fair on women. Maybe have a transgender category as others have said.