g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transgender rights discussion

Macern

Pee pee pants
I read the books when I was around 10 and I've been watching the movies every 2-3 years since. I'm now 25, rereading the books for the first time and have to say I enjoy it possibly even more than I did as a kid. Great series.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You know what? I don’t think it’s about kids books or adult books. The weird thing is caring really passionately about any book. Same with films. Everybody has favourite films but if you’re planning to go along to comic con dressed as a superhero then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
You know what? I don’t think it’s about kids books or adult books. The weird thing is caring really passionately about any book. Same with films. Everybody has favourite films but if you’re planning to go along to comic con dressed as a superhero then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.
That example doesn’t work. I go to football games with 70,000 other people and most of us are dressed as if we’re the players.

Hughes35

Looks like I'm the only person of the Cafe that loves one of the best selling books of all time.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bore off you miserable old sod. That's perfectly reasonable behavior and probably the sign of someone quite well adjusted. It's basically nerd halloween.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I don't really care either way, but it's no different than buying football jerseys and wearing it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Looks like I'm the only person of the Cafe that loves one of the best selling books of all time.
They are great books and a mark of that greatness is it's appeal and ability to entertain people of a wide age range. I do think the final two were a bit worse than the others.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
She is already a billionaire, I doubt she even cares if Harry Potter books completely bomb out which is very unlikely for next 20 years at a minimum which you would know if you had any idea of the depth of its fandom amongst young adults.
I bought my daughter the Famous five series and I hate Enid Blyton now. It'll soon be regarded as a contemporary kids fantasy classic and rightly so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Are you over 13? Its sounds like you think it's still great. :p
I have two kids under 13. That’s how I know kids are into Harry Potter and Halloween! Actually the older one just turned 13 and definitely gave much less of a shit about Halloween last year than his wee sister. He’s also not a Harry Potter fan (she loves the books)

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I have two kids under 13. That’s how I know kids are into Harry Potter and Halloween! Actually the older one just turned 13 and definitely gave much less of a shit about Halloween last year than his wee sister. He’s also not a Harry Potter fan (she loves the books)
I know exactly what you mean. The older kids are only interested in the candy. They just throw on a mask or a unicorn onesie and collect as much candy as they can for their stash. Once their backpacks are full they're happy.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well it is different. We relate to sports stars because we play the same sports they do. Bit different to emulating someone who’s really really good at killing orcs or some shit.
That's pretty obvious though. Nobody should be dressing up as someone who kills orcs. They should be dressing up AS orcs.
Lok'tar ogar!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
…in a mirror, to check that you’ve got the Uber coolness down

shaky

I agree with you.

Apart from twitter users, I don't know anyone who wishes for her to be cancelled or have her life ruined over an opinion she's entitled to have.
I 'd like to see her cancelled and I don't even have a twitter account. People are entitled to hold any bigoted opinions they please. I don't think they should be entitled to spread those opinions in public without consequence though.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Halloween. Something else that anyone over 13 who gives a shit about probably has issues.
You've got this completely backward. Having hobbies is generally a sign of mentally healthy, well-adjusted adults. Whether it's a man that diligently watches a handful of strangers chase after a ball every weekend, a crafty girl that enjoys making costumes and wearing them to special events, or someone that likes to wake up early and spend hours trying to spot some animal with wings with binoculars, just because you aren't into that particular hobby doesn't mean you're "normal" and they "have issues." I think people that might go to a convention in costume are generally much better-adjusted humans than people that are so into a sports team that they get into fights with rival fans.

So if even I personally don't get it, I don't think people that go to any convention or watch streaming video gamers or watch golf automatically "have issues" simply because I am not into that hobby. There will be plenty of others that might think someone that has 115K posts on a footy forum needs to take a long hard look at themselves. There is certainly nothing more inherently healthy about being a dedicated sports fan than being a fan/collector/aficionado of something else.

I actually find it much stranger when I meet an adult that has no hobbies at all. I wonder what the heck do they look forward to in life? Another week of week? Sounds downright depressing and utterly boring.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You've got this completely backward. Having hobbies is generally a sign of mentally healthy, well-adjusted adults. Whether it's a man that diligently watches a handful of strangers chase after a ball every weekend, a crafty girl that enjoys making costumes and wearing them to special events, or someone that likes to wake up early and spend hours trying to spot some animal with wings with binoculars, just because you aren't into that particular hobby doesn't mean you're "normal" and they "have issues." I think people that might go to a convention in costume are generally much better-adjusted humans than people that are so into a sports team that they get into fights with rival fans.

So if even I personally don't get it, I don't think people that go to any convention or watch streaming video gamers or watch golf automatically "have issues" simply because I am not into that hobby. There will be plenty of others that might think someone that has 115K posts on a footy forum needs to take a long hard look at themselves. There is certainly nothing more inherently healthy about being a dedicated sports fan than being a fan/collector/aficionado of something else.

I actually find it much stranger when I meet an adult that has no hobbies at all. I wonder what the heck do they look forward to in life? Another week of week? Sounds downright depressing and utterly boring.
I get it. You’re into orcs. That’s ok. You’re perfectly entitled to have weird hobbies. And I’m perfectly entitled to find them weird. This is obviously just my personal opinion. I’m sure you’ll understand that I’m far too busy and important to type out a “this is just my personal opinion, other opinions are available” on every one of my 115k finely crafted posts on this site.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I get it. You’re into orcs. That’s ok. You’re perfectly entitled to have weird hobbies. And I’m perfectly entitled to find them weird. This is obviously just my personal opinion. I’m sure you’ll understand that I’m far too busy and important to type out a “this is just my personal opinion, other opinions are available” on every one of my 115k finely crafted posts on this site.
Not into "orcs" at all but I find it weird that you think that your hobby makes you mentally healthy and well-adjusted but other people have issues. Mate, you got 115K posts on a football forum. That's objectively "weird" too. You aren't any more normal than a girl that likes to dress like a slut on Halloween (although you both might be more normal than someone that watches or plays golf).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not into "orcs" at all but I find it weird that you think that your hobby makes you mentally healthy and well-adjusted but other people have issues. Mate, you got 115K posts on a football forum. That's objectively "weird" too. You aren't any more normal than a girl that likes to dress like a slut on Halloween (although you both might be more normal than someone that watches or plays golf).

Don’t get me started on golf.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moustaches.461413/#post-26930558

Nobody should be taking lectures from him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The fact that she can be on Twitter in the middle of the Ukrainian invasion and still be harking on incessantly about this just screams of an arrogant arsehole who doesn't like being told that she's wrong, or might be wrong. I mention the war in Ukraine because she's focusing on "feminist"* comments related to the war in some way shape or form, completely separate from the full on crisis going on.

It's the constant prodding and poking she does, like a bully who's trying to repeatedly push around the one kid who said something mildly insulting to her that made everyone else giggle. She's a thin skinned, overly proud, shitface and if she took her head out of her arse for one second she'd realise that the entire world isn't just hers.

*I say "feminist" but she's the kind of feminist who uses feminism purely to push people around for her own self centred agenda, just like feckwits do for every positive campaign out there. She's no more a feminist than I am a badger.

Last edited: