Transgender rights discussion

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
There’s no proposal they could make that people wouldn’t protest against.
That is true, but I think that this proposal genuinely might cause more protests. Sometimes consistent and complete injustice is better than half-measures.

But I don't have the solution to this so I'll leave the discussion to the very thick-skinned and (hopefully) wise.

Duafc

Village Lemon
To encourage more women to play chess
Yep fair - is it only recent they've added this category or has it always been split?

Why don't women like chess!?

Cause male players are far better at chess than females. There has been no female who was a world champion in open category, and only one ever in top 10.
Yeahhhh, but there's nothing that makes a male inherently better at a game like chess, it's just about interest/access surely?

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeahhhh, but there's nothing that makes a male inherently better at a game like chess, it's just about interest/access surely?
I guess almost surely, yes. Same how males in general are more successful scientists, politicians, or company owners. Probably to do a lot with encouragements kids get, so a social construct engrained in our society.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Why don't women like chess!?
For the same reason women "don't like" video games and coding. Once a space becomes too male dominated, particularly by the nerdy kind, it's not very tempting to join. For various reasons.

Laurencio

Republicans trying to score political points with evangelicals by attacking a minority is pretty much their core ideology at this point.

They desperately want liberals to move from Texas and Florida so that they don't end up losing every future presidential election. Those states have been trending towards Democrats for a good while. Their politics is very blatant and cynical.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Republicans trying to score political points with evangelicals by attacking a minority is pretty much their core ideology at this point.

They desperately want liberals to move from Texas and Florida so that they don't end up losing every future presidential election. Those states have been trending towards Democrats for a good while. Their politics is very blatant and cynical.
Unfortunately it is also the Hispanic vote that is assisting Republicans in those two states (more pronounced in FL).

Attacking a marginalized minority also helps in both states with Hispanics the same way the right is trying to woo evangelicals. Thumping has a receptive audience in those two states.

jeff_goldblum

Regardless of whether it's found to be motivated by transphobic hate, the killing of Brianna Ghey clearly demonstrates the cost of all this bad-faith hand-wringing about self-ID.

Brianna's deadname is currently being splashed across the press and her death certificate will misgender her as a matter of public record as long as those records exist. Self-ID has never been about toilets or prisons, it's about trans people being afforded basic dignity.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
feckin hell, conservatives are obsessed with other people's genitals and what they do with them.

Mike Smalling

The whole "problem" related to trans women in bathrooms is so artificial from a legal standpoint. I mean, isn't there only stalls or other individual locked spaces in women's bathrooms anyway? That should make sure no-one sees anything they don't want to, if everyone behaves. And if someone wanted to show their genitals in a bathroom that would a) Probably already be illegal, and b) Not exactly require anyone to be transgender.

These bigots seem to think that there are swarms of people out there willing to go through the process of changing their gender, just so they can wander into a women's restroom to flash their dick.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
fecking sadists, I have to stop coming to this thread, it just pisses me off.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Most dangerous midget in my country right now - for what credible reason would the state of Florida need such information?