Trent Alexander Arnold

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He's awful at defending. Was hilarious seeing his position for both AC Milan's goals. Just ball watching and casually jogging back.

Going forward he's great, but a lot of teams are going to start targeting the space he leaves behind. Also, he looks like a cnut.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Have you even watched him play in our other games this season? He’s been one of our best players.
No, I haven’t. I’ve hardly seen any football this season, so you are right that I can’t comment on this season. I’m basing it off his previous seasons.

He is a talented player without question, he just doesn’t seem to have a position. RWB would possibly be his best position, with a CB / RB hybrid as the right centre back (like Walker sometimes does for England).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
So would we swap Wan Bissaka for TAA?
Based on quality, yeah. But AWB is a Man United player and Trent is a Liverpool player. Other than that, Trent is a much much better player.

Siorac

To be fair it's extremely tedious to write or say Alexander Arnold
Yes but his midfielder teammate never seems to get called 'Alex'. I bet at first you had no idea who I was even talking about.

cyberman

Based on quality, yeah. But AWB is a Man United player and Trent is a Liverpool player. Other than that, Trent is a much much better player.
Here’s the question. Why? AWB is every bit a better defender over Trent as Trent is over AWB going forward

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Here’s the question. Why? AWB is every bit a better defender over Trent as Trent is over AWB going forward
Not really, AWB is mainly a lot better in 1 vs 1, one of the best tacklers I seen. In the air, positionally he is also very poor. He is mainly good at a few aspects of the defensive game. Trent gets found out from time to time, but he's still a unit and isnt getting Rashford'd on weekly basis, far from. We could barely even hurt him last season.

On the flip side, Trent creates an awful lot of chances, brings the ball into dangerous positions for his team so often, has a fantastic long passing which is needed to break teams down. His value that he adds on a weekly basis far exceeds AWB's, especially as we arent up against the Mbappe's and Grealish's weekly.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
TAA wins us football games. AWB, well... At the very best partly makes sure you can't lose them.

No, I haven’t. I’ve hardly seen any football this season, so you are right that I can’t comment on this season. I’m basing it off his previous seasons.

He is a talented player without question, he just doesn’t seem to have a position. RWB would possibly be his best position, with a CB / RB hybrid as the right centre back (like Walker sometimes does for England).
He has won the Premier League and Champions league at right-back whilst being one of our best and most influencial players. How is that not his position then? He's barely, if ever, played another position for us.

cyberman

Not really, AWB is mainly a lot better in 1 vs 1, one of the best tacklers I seen. In the air, positionally he is also very poor. He is mainly good at a few aspects of the defensive game. Trent gets found out from time to time, but he's still a unit and isnt getting Rashford'd on weekly basis, far from. We could barely even hurt him last season.

On the flip side, Trent creates an awful lot of chances, brings the ball into dangerous positions for his team so often, has a fantastic long passing which is needed to break teams down. His value that he adds on a weekly basis far exceeds AWB's, especially as we arent up against the Mbappe's and Grealish's weekly.
Whatever flaws AWB has he is still leagues above what Trent brings. It’s well over 18 months of this now but it was put down to no VVD etc. If AWB had Trents defending he would be crucified every single week

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Yeah in terms of positional awareness I don’t think there’s that much difference between them. It’s just TAA is caught up high up the pitch much more often because he’s much more valuable up there. When tracking runners, AWB’s pretty loose. The recovery pace and determination does make up for a fair bit that TAA doesn’t really offer to be fair.

TAA is so much better at passing than AWB, in the same way AWB is better at slide tackling. But the other attacking output TAA offers (crossing, shooting, touch) is much superior, in a way that AWB’s other defensive output (tracking runners, defending crosses, interceptions). He’s in another league, for me.

Thats a lot of 3 letter abbreviations

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Are there actually people in here rating AWB over Trent ? :eek:

EtH

But the gulf between the two going forward is actually immense compared to the difference defensively. It’s like a Pool fan saying that Henderson is better defensively just as Pogba is better offensively.

Davie Moyes

Don't get to watch him much so not sure how poor he is defensively is. Would I swap him for AWB? Hell yes!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think I've heard pundits call him that, the way they regularly refer to TAA as Trent. But then I often just mute the streams during half time breaks.
Could have sworn I've heard it a time or two, but you're spot on that it's not nearly as pervasive as Trent!

Chief123

Trent is brilliant.

The way I evaluate it is…..On a scale Trent is a better defensive player than AWB is at attacking. And Trent is a better attacking if not equal player than AWB is at defending. So overall Trent would be the better pick for me.

AWB
Defending - 9 out of 10
Attacking - 5 out of 10

Trent
Defending - 7 out of 10
Attacking - 9 out of 10

cyberman

But the gulf between the two going forward is actually immense compared to the difference defensively. It’s like a Pool fan saying that Henderson is better defensively just as Pogba is better offensively.
It’s not. AWB is an excellent defender, Trent’s standard of defending is at Arsenal level.
Look, if we had an actual midfield and deceive solidity we wouldn’t need such an extreme player in AWB. If Liverpool had actual creativity through the middle and didn’t have 2 of their front 3 regress in an alarming rate then they wouldn’t be so reliant on Trent going forward. Both suit needs but having teams with obvious deficiencies isn’t a good enough reason why both teams have RBS that are so limited in one direction.
Look at Trent for England. All that creativity and 1 assist to his name to the point he has been dropped. Does he suddenly freeze up for England or do England have so much attacking variety that his attacking input isn’t needed as much so his lack of defensive fundamentals override his contribution to the team?
There’s an alarming amount of defensive blunders being overlooked here that is so important to the position that has to be overlooked to claim Trent as a RB great. Look at Shaw who is excellent in all departments. It’s he and Trippier types who are the gold standard of fullbacks.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It’s not. AWB is an excellent defender, Trent’s standard of defending is at Arsenal level.
Look, if we had an actual midfield and deceive solidity we wouldn’t need such an extreme player in AWB. If Liverpool had actual creativity through the middle and didn’t have 2 of their front 3 regress in an alarming rate then they wouldn’t be so reliant on Trent going forward. Both suit needs but having teams with obvious deficiencies isn’t a good enough reason why both teams have RBS that are so limited in one direction.
Look at Trent for England. All that creativity and 1 assist to his name to the point he has been dropped. Does he suddenly freeze up for England or do England have so much attacking variety that his attacking input isn’t needed as much so his lack of defensive fundamentals override his contribution to the team?
There’s an alarming amount of defensive blunders being overlooked here that is so important to the position that has to be overlooked to claim Trent as a RB great. Look at Shaw who is excellent in all departments. It’s he and Trippier types who are the gold standard of fullbacks.
Care to explain why Scholes and Carrick weren't excellent for England as the prime examples of world-class midfielders they were?

What's important to his position at Liverpool is creating, going forward, contributing offensively. No one at the club gives a feck that he's caught out on a long ball as long as he does his primary job well, which, spoiler alert, is not defending.

I'm gonna stay out of this discussion if you really think that Trippier is the gold standard of fullbacks. He isn't fit to lace Alexander-Arnold's boots.

Spaghetti

Mom's
TAA wins us football games. AWB, well... At the very best partly makes sure you can't lose them.

He has won the Premier League and Champions league at right-back whilst being one of our best and most influencial players. How is that not his position then? He's barely, if ever, played another position for us.
I didn’t say he had played in other positions. This is part of the problem though; he doesn’t have a suitable one. United won the Premier League / Champions League double with Wes Brown at right back, so I think we can skip passed that little argument.

As I said before, he is a good footballer and he can do some good things but his flaws are really obvious and is the clear weak link in the team when things aren’t going well. Whenever Liverpool have a bad result or concede a couple of goals, there’s always a focus on Alexander Arnold and I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

EtH

I disagree with pretty much all of that. The point of the matter is that TAA’s creativity and delivery going forward is levels above anything any other player you mentioned has to offer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don’t think either brings an overall package. They’re as both as extreme to one side as the other.
TAA is superb player in transition, plays some excellent passes in the build up play.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nope! Maybe it’s horses for courses but AWB is the better defender and we need them to defend first and foremost.
For those who want or claim for Walker or Trippier, just remember how they’ve been trashed on here due to their perceived poor defending.
Like Shaw was rejuvenated by Telles signing, we could do with an experienced back up though

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bias aside, you'd have to be braindead not to.

AWB is a fullback who is very limited in attack and has some defensive flaws. TAA is a fullback who is very limited in defence but is one of the best attacking players in the league. The value you get from TAA's extra attacking output and ability in possession massively outweighs the defensive value AWB brings over TAA. Massively.

Inigo Montoya

I disagree with pretty much all of that. The point of the matter is that TAA’s creativity and delivery going forward is levels above anything any other player you mentioned has to offer.
Where was Trent’s creativity last season when even Scouse fans were doubting him and his confidence was pretty low by his own admission?
His delivery is good because that’s what Klopp
Likes to do and encourages. During their bad rid of defeats. That’s all they did and it was easily read… or were you not around last season?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I didn’t say he had played in other positions. This is part of the problem though; he doesn’t have a suitable one. United won the Premier League / Champions League double with Wes Brown at right back, so I think we can skip passed that little argument.

As I said before, he is a good footballer and he can do some good things but his flaws are really obvious and is the clear weak link in the team when things aren’t going well. Whenever Liverpool have a bad result or concede a couple of goals, there’s always a focus on Alexander Arnold and I don’t think it’s a coincidence.
His performance level goes down if there are other deficiencies in our starting XI, e.g. Fabinho being out or other injuries. If the rest of the team is set up well and we play to his strenghts, he nigh on always delivers with quality performances. So yeah in less than ideal circumstances his weakness is displayed more than otherwise, but I don't see why that's a problem. We should (and we do) make it our aim to play to his strengths because when he performs, the whole team usually does.

Inigo Montoya

Bias aside, you'd have to be braindead not to.

AWB is a fullback who is very limited in attack and has some defensive flaws. TAA is a fullback who is very limited in defence but is one of the best attacking players in the league. The value you get from TAA's extra attacking output and ability in possession massively outweighs the defensive value AWB brings over TAA. Massively.
There’s a Bertie if ever I saw one :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where was Trent’s creativity last season when even Scouse fans were doubting him and his confidence was pretty low by his own admission?
His delivery is good because that’s what Klopp
Likes to do and encourages. During their bad rid of defeats. That’s all they did and it was easily read… or were you not around last season?
Only Bruno, KDB, Mount and Grealish created more chances in the league than him last season. A season in which he was indeed very poor by his standards.

Spaghetti

Mom's
His performance level goes down if there are other deficiencies in our starting XI, e.g. Fabinho being out or other injuries. If the rest of the team is set up well and we play to his strenghts, he nigh on always delivers with quality performances. So yeah in less than ideal circumstances his weakness is displayed more than otherwise, but I don't see why that's a problem. We should (and we do) make it our aim to play to his strengths because when he performs, the whole team usually does.
Yeah I get that, and it’s fair enough. He has a lot to improve though if he’s to go to the “next level”.

Liverpool could play to his strengths, but possibly more worryingly from a Liverpool perspective, is that other teams can play to his weaknesses (United have done this a few times).

spiriticon

I've no idea why he can't adapt to being a midfielder and let someone else who can defend to do the defending.

It's like playing David Beckham at right back. What's so hard about moving a few yards up the pitch?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I've no idea why he can't adapt to being a midfielder and let someone else who can defend to do the defending.

It's like playing David Beckham at right back. What's so hard about moving a few yards up the pitch?
He basically is a midfielder or even right winger for us most of the times. We play with a trio in center midfield, so where would he go? He isn't gonna replace Salah up front, is he...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Where would you play him? At CM, where his positional sense would be (even more of) a liability? Or at RW, where he devalues the team by taking the place of a prolific inside forward?

I've never understood this idea of playing TAA in midfield. Being good on the ball doesn't automatically make you a better midfielder than fullback, particularly in an era when fullbacks are so vital to a team's attack.

spiriticon

He basically is a midfielder or even right winger for us most of the times. We play with a trio in center midfield, so where would he go? He isn't gonna replace Salah up front, is he...
I was actually thinking more about his England role than his Liverpool one, and particularly Klopp's comments. I rate him as the best right sided attacking player that England has at this time, but Southgate clearly doesn't.

In Liverpool he has a system that works extremely well for him, no doubt.