Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

Jack-C20

Can’t say I even noticed a supposed ‘girl power’ theme like others did. Maybe I was too busy trying to work out what the feck was going on. Actually enjoyed it for the most part. The ending felt really messy though. There’s a lot of things unexplained and it kind of feels like there isn’t a logical explanation. It’ll just be accepted that logic got pushed aside for the ending that they wanted.

Withnail

There was only one decent guy in it, Navarro's fella.

Prior was a dumb puppy until that line out of nowhere about "You hate me for making you have the baby." or something like that, pushed him into cnutish territory.
That was a bit weird. It seemingly came out of nowhere. Did I miss a set up for that line earlier in the season?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That was a bit weird. It seemingly came out of nowhere. Did I miss a set up for that line earlier in the season?
Not that I recall. I thought it was just Danvers putting a strain on their relationship but apparently it was more than that.

Then we had the cliché kiss and "Please come back..." between them at the end.

hobbers

This was my biggest issue. Absolutely ridiculous :lol:
The amount of time Dumbfeck Danvers was running around with a map in the last 3 episodes you'd think she'd have noticed that the cave system of their new/old murder scene was literally a stones throw from the research station. Guess not.

wr8_utd

:'(
I've not been critical of the rest of the season but that was an awful finale.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
The amount of time Dumbfeck Danvers was running around with a map in the last 3 episodes you'd think she'd have noticed that the cave system of their new/old murder scene was literally a stones throw from the research station. Guess not.
Two different maps probably - and it was established very early on that she‘s just not a good detective.

Although we don‘t know for how long they‘ve walked through the cave system until Navarro heared voices in her head again. Could have been hours. I found it more funny that the half starving suspect who appeared some mere meters in front of them totally outruns her into his secret lap and can push that drawer back into place, getting up that metal ladder, closing the hatch totally unnoticed and without making any kind of noise. Fun thing is, this could have been super easily solved by showing the detectives quite badly hurt from falling down a hole a couple of meters but nope, they were totally fine.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
True Detective hasn't been good since it's first season, not sure i understand why people have high expectations.

Herman Toothrot

Can’t say I even noticed a supposed ‘girl power’ theme like others did. Maybe I was too busy trying to work out what the feck was going on. Actually enjoyed it for the most part. The ending felt really messy though. There’s a lot of things unexplained and it kind of feels like there isn’t a logical explanation. It’ll just be accepted that logic got pushed aside for the ending that they wanted.
There isn't one. It's a really thick argument and undermines the very valid criticism of the series. Sadly, the insecurity of some men has turned this into a culture war issue. Well done.

Ultimately it didn't stick the landing, the set-up was great, but the explanation was a silly disappointment. You can't evoke The Thing and all these supernatural elements and deliver an empty mystery box wrapped in Series One paper. The reuse of the symbol and lines from the first series felt like the guiltiest excesses of JJ Abrams. The final shots had series 'Rey Skywalker' energy.

Great actors, setting, premise but completely fell apart in the final two episodes, the signs were probably there earlier, I watched the first five in one go and assumed we were only just over half way.

Bole Top

True Detective hasn't been good since it's first season, not sure i understand why people have high expectations.
judging from this thread, when people say they love this show, what it really means is that they love only the first season. the same people bash S2 and the S4, and they usually say S3 is level below the first season anyway. so...

nimic

something nice
Scout
I liked the second season. The third season started out very well, but was a bit too predictable in the end. This was on another level of bad writing (but not because of the "female empowerment" culture war angle that some have taken).

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Being a level below S1 is not saying it‘s not good though, it just may not be brilliant. I liked S3 a lot after finally coming around to watch it. But where S1 sped it up and introduced some proper action scenes it went completely the opposite way and slowed it down even further which I‘d guess most didn‘t like but I thought it great nonetheless- acting was top notch.

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
How was it suggested? Or is that the only remaining iption
It‘s been said, that the corrupt cop (edit: Clark) staged the murder scene - implying that he also cut the tongue. It was never really established that more cops/officials were involved (which is a pity since why leave that possibility out of the equation) except very vaguely and it never had any consequences.

If you ask about who put the tongue into Tsalal station: no, idea and every possible explanation sounds pants to me.

hobbers

Good point in one of those comments.

So the cleaners cut the power to the station.

Why does the recording smart phone cut out at the same moment?

mu4c_20le

Good point in one of those comments.

So the cleaners cut the power to the station.

Why does the recording smart phone cut out at the same moment?
The scientist guy stepped on the phone when he ran over to save her

nimic

something nice
Scout
The scientist guy stepped on the phone when he ran over to save her
He's talking about the second time.

My question is why didn't the power get cut when Annie K was being killed, which it did in the recording (and they made a point about it)? I don't want to go back and watch the episode again, but I don't remember it happening.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I liked the second season. The third season started out very well, but was a bit too predictable in the end. This was on another level of bad writing (but not because of the "female empowerment" culture war angle that some have taken).
I think the second enjoyable for what it is too.
First viewing was a big let down but that‘s like coming in first after Fergie.
Albeit a bit predictable for the final solution I thought the ending very satisfying in S3 - no huge twist but it made sense, how they wrote it with the alzheimer playing a big part, almost a bit heartbreaking imho, and how Ali acted in it. The racial theme was so much better written in it than now the natives / environmental / female angle.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think the second enjoyable for what it is too.
First viewing was a big let down but that‘s like coming in first after Fergie.
Albeit a bit predictable for the final solution I thought the ending very satisfying in S3 - no huge twist but it made sense, how they wrote it with the alzheimer playing a big part, almost a bit heartbreaking imho, and how Ali acted in it. The racial theme was so much better written in it than now the aboriginal / female angle.
Absolutely. One of the great acting performances.

Eplel

Just finished it.

Wow. What a shitshow.

There were a few red flags here and there in the first 2 episodes, and episodes 3 and 4 were simply boring fillers, but I didn't expect such a let down.
From the fetishisation of mental health issues to the tokenistic approach to the local natives, the themes of this season were a huge miss. The plot ended up being completely nonsensical, with huge plot holes, and the characters were almost caricatures of what they were trying to be.

0/10 from me.

Roosney

Also, what the hell was the Annie K video about that they found on her phone? She was killed twice? :lol:

In addition to being next to the research center the ice caves grow back each winter. They were 30cm beneath the ice ffs. :lol:

Oh my god, such an unbelievably silly show.

Mike Smalling

Was there ever any explanation as to why that Raymond Clark fella had a seizure just before the lights cut out?

Eplel

Was there ever any explanation as to why that Raymond Clark fella had a seizure just before the lights cut out?
There is an explanation, but it's even worse than not having an explanation.

He basically time travelled to the future, where he saw Navarro in episode 6.

arnie_ni

There is an explanation, but it's even worse than not having an explanation.

He basically time travelled to the future, where he saw Navarro in episode 6.
Howd you come up with that?

Eplel

Howd you come up with that?

Time is a flat circle and shit.