Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Time is a flat circle and shit.
That's a good looking sandwich, missed that in the first episode.

Eplel

It was expected that they would renew.

1. It had relatively good watch ratings
2. If they cancelled, they would be labelled sexist/racists etc, which they will probably want to avoid.

We're never going to get anything like season 1 again, we have to live with that.

Baneofthegame

Just finished watching the finale, thought the whole series barring a few moments was terrible.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It was expected that they would renew.

1. It had relatively good watch ratings
2. If they cancelled, they would be labelled sexist/racists etc, which they will probably want to avoid.

We're never going to get anything like season 1 again, we have to live with that.
Point 2 is utter nonsense.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I do feel quite cheated with this one, only reason I watched was because of the reviews and hype. Episode one was decent, then it just went to shit. Reviewers must have been paid off. It's the only explanation.

I only ever watched season 1, when it came out, which was excellent. Are the others any good? I vaguely remember not great reviews hence I never watched.

hobbers

I do feel quite cheated with this one, only reason I watched was because of the reviews and hype. Episode one was decent, then it just went to shit. Reviewers must have been paid off. It's the only explanation.

I only ever watched season 1, when it came out, which was excellent. Are the others any good? I vaguely remember not great reviews hence I never watched.
I think in light of watching this abomination, 2 and 3 look like world class tv in comparison.

3 is genuinely quite good in my book. Only got mediocre reviews because it was very similar in topic/tone to season 1 while not being as good. But it was at least coherent and had actual detective work in it by someone with more than 7 brain cells.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not a very satisfying conclusion at all. A better script and a couple more episodes and they could have made this very good. But they didn't. So many things unexplained, even things that could have been easily explained. Not to mention so many relationships build to a point where you thought there might be a resolution but then they just disappear in the final episode. Not as bad as many are saying but sadly nowhere near what it could/should have been.

By far the biggest flaw was that the symbol from S1 featured heavily, so there must have been a link as such a specific symbol can't occurred in such linked places by chance alone. Yet an explanation wasn't even vaguely hinted at.

Last edited:

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Had to check to make sure I wasn't misremembering. Season 2 had its moments.

Roosney

Not a very satisfying conclusion at all. A better script and a couple more episodes and they could have made this very good. But they didn't. So many things unexplained, even things that could have been easily explained. Not to mention so many relationships build to a point where you thought there might be a resolution but then they just disappear in the final episode. Not as bad as many are saying but sadly nowhere near what it could/should have been.

By far the biggest flaw was that the symbol from S1 featured heavily, so there must have been a link as such a specific symbol can't occurred in such linked places by chance alone. Yet an explanation wasn't even vaguely hinted at.
Yeah they just sprinkled season 1 all over the place without any thought or intent to make it make sense.
Also I have to admire your ability to rate season 4 so highly. To me it was laughably bad, a show written by middle school kids.

Bole Top

I watched the first episode after our game yesterday but gave up in the middle of the second episode today. just to be clear, it certainly isn't bad to the point where even 6 episodes is too much. I could easily watch this and finish it. I simply won't, as I watch too much stuff already and I'm not wasting time when I don't see the effort.

what I got from first two episodes are uninteresting and weak characters with all of them falling apart since the start and of course, every one of the being utterly unlikeable. going from McConaughey & Harrelson combo and Farrell to this is... holly shit. obviously, male characters are basically officer Doofy from the Scary Movie. I feel pretty much all of the modern audience cliches have been thrown at me already and the atmosphere isn't really there which shouldn't be the case given the darkness and location. even the music is utter shit as well. if the goal was to make the most forgettable theme ever seen in TV shows, they succeded. if you have zero inspiration left, just use any classic song that you can bet majority will be glad to hear, not this crap.

but I'll be honest, even the very good S1 wasn't enough to put this show on my all time list or something close to that. it was always just an interesting, mostly good crime show that I don't really analyze that much or even think about once I finish the season. that's why I'm not so fussed about this season being so shit and I'll certainly try the next one regardless of this experience.

Last edited:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
The whole season was awful. Season 1 was exceptional, but since then its just been downhill.

FireballXL5

Thought I'd give it a go after all the hype...gave up after 45 mins. Pure garbage.

‘Some of the sloppiest writing I’ve ever watched’: how True Detective’s creator turned on his own show

Nic Pizzolatto’s reposted negative comments, publicly distanced himself and created a dedicated space for criticism on his Instagram – despite viewing figures getting better and better …

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...rue-detectives-creator-turned-on-his-own-show

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Had a glimpse at that article but that‘s some very sloppy writing on its own. It‘s always been a staples of the series to extent the detectives obsession to their private lifes and family affairs. In fact it‘s a main point in each season so not sure how someone can say it‘s something Issa Lopez introduced with a straight face.

hobbers

Had a glimpse at that article but that‘s some very sloppy writing on its own. It‘s always been a staples of the series to extent the detectives obsession to their private lifes and family affairs. In fact it‘s a main point in each season so not sure how someone can say it‘s something Issa Lopez introduced with a straight face.
Just the standard sort of Guardian bird brain who gets triggered by men complaining on the internet so wrote an article to complain about it.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Just the standard sort of Guardian bird brain who gets triggered by men complaining on the internet so wrote an article to complain about it.
Shame on you Paul MacInnes!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I finally watched the full season after waiting for it to have aired, and yeah, that wasn't great at all. Season 1 was top notch, I actually enjoyed season 3, never watched season 2 cos of the bad things I heard, and season 4... so much meh.

lsd

The Oracle
Just watched the first episode of the fourth season and without doubt a big improvement over the last two seasons.

Looks like this one will have it's scares too which i should have known growing up near Enniskillen and watching the first ten minutes here of Matthew Broderick in Ferris Bueller.

No good was going to happen as a result of that

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I didn't mind the finale but it's not a great look when a show peaks with its first episode. The fact they're bringing the same showrunner back doesn't fill me with hope for the next one but hopefully improvements will be made in response to the backlash. And if they don't, they'd better hope they can find somebody as awesome as Jodie Foster to carry the thing.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Held back watching it till all the episodes dropped. it can't possibly be worse than S2. I refuse to believe it.