g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Trump and Brexit: What has happened to the world?

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Like Brexit it's a protest vote, and a sign that a large proportion of the respective countries don't feel the politicians are listening to them or representing their interests. I've not seen the backlash, but if it's anything like Brexit just calling voters stupid isn't going to help.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
One thing that the two elections definitely had in common (and that may well deserve a thread on its own) is the power of social media. Facebook and Twitter played a big role for both Trump and Brexit.

Neither campaign was particularly rooted in logic. In years gone by, TV or newspapers would have torn apart the flimsy premises that each was built on. But with Facebook and Twitter deciding what news you see, the Left only saw leftist news and the Right only saw right-wing news. Neither side got a big picture view of what was going on, and neither side saw their own favoured theories broken down in a meaningful way.

This may be the sign of things to come. Social media algorithms could be more influential than we'd ever considered.
Preach.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
One thing that the two elections definitely had in common (and that may well deserve a thread on its own) is the power of social media. Facebook and Twitter played a big role for both Trump and Brexit.

Neither campaign was particularly rooted in logic. In years gone by, TV or newspapers would have torn apart the flimsy premises that each was built on. But with Facebook and Twitter deciding what news you see, the Left only saw leftist news and the Right only saw right-wing news. Neither side got a big picture view of what was going on, and neither side saw their own favoured theories broken down in a meaningful way.

This may be the sign of things to come. Social media algorithms could be more influential than we'd ever considered.
Very apt point. The echo chamber effect is bad enough with people curating their own feeds by following and unfollowing, liking and disliking. But algorithms adapting to those behaviours magnifies it tenfold.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Things do look grim for young people right now but they looked plenty grim, plenty of times, for the older generation who have supposedly cruised their way through life without any adversity. For example, my parents had to raise a young family in the middle of a savage recession combined with spiralling interest rates and the imminent threat of nuclear armageddon. If you could put yourself in their shoes the future would have looked just as grim as it does for any millenial right now.
Yeah that's perfectly fair. The economic shitshow that was the UK in the 70's is a big part of why I'm so pro-EU.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Read the Letter Aaron Sorkin Wrote His Daughter After Donald Trump Was Elected President
The Oscar-winning screenwriter of The Social Network and mastermind behind The West Wing reacts to Donald Trump being elected the 45th president of the United States in a moving letter written to his 15-year-old daughter Roxy and her mother Julia Sorkin.
by
NOVEMBER 9, 2016

Sorkin Girls,

Well the world changed late last night in a way I couldn’t protect us from. That’s a terrible feeling for a father. I won’t sugarcoat it—this is truly horrible. It’s hardly the first time my candidate didn’t win (in fact it’s the sixth time) but it is the first time that a thoroughly incompetent pig with dangerous ideas, a serious psychiatric disorder, no knowledge of the world and no curiosity to learn has.

And it wasn’t just Donald Trump who won last night—it was his supporters too. The Klan won last night. White nationalists. Sexists, racists and buffoons. Angry young white men who think rap music and Cinco de Mayo are a threat to their way of life (or are the reason for their way of life) have been given cause to celebrate. Men who have no right to call themselves that and who think that women who aspire to more than looking hot are shrill, ugly, and otherwise worthy of our scorn rather than our admiration struck a blow for misogynistic shitheads everywhere. Hate was given hope. Abject dumbness was glamorized as being “the fresh voice of an outsider” who’s going to “shake things up.” (Did anyone bother to ask how? Is he going to re-arrange the chairs in the Roosevelt Room?) For the next four years, the President of the United States, the same office held by Washington and Jefferson, Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt, F.D.R., J.F.K. and Barack Obama, will be held by a man-boy who’ll spend his hours exacting Twitter vengeance against all who criticize him (and those numbers will be legion). We’ve embarrassed ourselves in front of our children and the world.

And the world took no time to react. The Dow futures dropped 7,000 points overnight. Economists are predicting a deep and prolonged recession. Our NATO allies are in a state of legitimate fear. And speaking of fear, Muslim-Americans, Mexican-Americans and African-Americans are shaking in their shoes. And we’d be right to note that many of Donald Trump’s fans are not fans of Jews. On the other hand, there is a party going on at ISIS headquarters. What wouldn’t we give to trade this small fraction of a man for Richard Nixon right now?

So what do we do?

First of all, we remember that we’re not alone. A hundred million people in America and a billion more around the world feel exactly the same way we do.

Second, we get out of bed. The Trumpsters want to see people like us (Jewish, “coastal elites,” educated, socially progressive, Hollywood…) sobbing and wailing and talking about moving to Canada. I won’t give them that and neither will you. Here’s what we’ll do…

…we’ll fecking fight. (Roxy, there’s a time for this kind of language and it’s now.) We’re not powerless and we’re not voiceless. We don’t have majorities in the House or Senate but we do have representatives there. It’s also good to remember that most members of Trump’s own party feel exactly the same way about him that we do. We make sure that the people we sent to Washington—including Kamala Harris—take our strength with them and never take a day off.

We get involved. We do what we can to fight injustice anywhere we see it—whether it’s writing a check or rolling up our sleeves. Our family is fairly insulated from the effects of a Trump presidency so we fight for the families that aren’t. We fight for a woman to keep her right to choose. We fight for the First Amendment and we fight mostly for equality—not for a guarantee of equal outcomes but for equal opportunities. We stand up.

America didn’t stop being America last night and we didn’t stop being Americans and here’s the thing about Americans: Our darkest days have always—always—been followed by our finest hours.

Roxy, I know my predictions have let you down in the past, but personally, I don’t think this guy can make it a year without committing an impeachable crime. If he does manage to be a douche nozzle without breaking the law for four years, we’ll make it through those four years. And three years from now we’ll fight like hell for our candidate and we’ll win and they’ll lose and this time they’ll lose for good. Honey, it’ll be your first vote.

The battle isn’t over, it’s just begun. Grandpa fought in World War II and when he came home this country handed him an opportunity to make a great life for his family. I will not hand his granddaughter a country shaped by hateful and stupid men. Your tears last night woke me up, and I’ll never go to sleep on you again.

Love,

Dad

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The reply:

ahahahahah feck off dad

Classical Mechanic

I'm not sure all this 'white-lash' and 'angry white men' talk we are hearing is especially helpful. It simply helps to cement the divide that partly enabled Trump to get into power in the first place.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very apt point. The echo chamber effect is bad enough with people curating their own feeds by following and unfollowing, liking and disliking. But algorithms adapting to those behaviours magnifies it tenfold.
A few more worryings trends for me.

1. How the herd mentality and dumbing things down to cheap gimmickery is clearly beating logic and reason. Less intelligence and more bravado. Less content and more headlines. Voting "against the system" is brainless if it isn't coupled with a genuine and honest analysis of the alternatives. I understanding de-intellectualising things is important as well, in order to connect to and simplify for people. But there's a limit beyond which it does serous damage.

2. The seeming vacuum of morality. I'm not American but it's a sad reflection on American society that this clown is their leader. Yes, there's often angst again the system. But this is hardly the kind of man who you should feel remotely inspired by. For me, a man who speaks the way he does about Mexicans, African Americans and women, not to mention the things he's done to them, deserves a prison cell rather than to be revered

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

1. How the herd mentality and dumbing things down to cheap gimmickery is clearly beating logic and reason. Less intelligence and more bravado. Less content and more headlines. Voting "against the system" is brainless if it isn't coupled with a genuine and honest analysis of the alternatives. I understanding de-intellectualising things is important as well, in order to connect to and simplify for people. But there's a limit beyond which it does serous damage.

2. The seeming vacuum of morality. I'm not American but it's a sad reflection on American society that this clown is their leader. Yes, there's often angst again the system. But this is hardly the kind of man who you should feel remotely inspired by. For me, a man who speaks the way he does about Mexicans, African Americans and women, not to mention the things he's done to them, deserves a prison cell rather than to be revered
I can't disagree with any of your points, and both are indeed very worrying trends.

Abizzz

2... For me, a man who speaks the way he does about Mexicans, African Americans and women, not to mention the things he's done to them, deserves a prison cell rather than to be revered
I've thought about this a bit now (because it goes so contrary to my experiences in the states) and actually now think it does make a little sense. Suppose you really believe Hillary is constantly lying, perceive all her talk about the middle class/ blue collar classes to be something she says just to appeal to you, her talking about latino's and blacks simply a play for their vote... Maybe we too would rather have the honest asshole than the smiling lying cheat?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Everyone laughed at me when I couldn't understand how preposterous it was to trust a computer generated model.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-wrong-predict-modern-democracy-a7406456.html
Yes, because you seemed baffled by the actual concept of it. The fact that polls aren't always accurate (which we all already knew anyway) doesn't make the concept itself preposterous in the slightest. We use computer generated models in so many other areas that the idea of someone viewing it as some kind of mad witchcraft was pretty hilarious. It was like you'd only just landed in this century.

Ainu

I've thought about this a bit now (because it goes so contrary to my experiences in the states) and actually now think it does make a little sense. Suppose you really believe Hillary is constantly lying, perceive all her talk about the middle class/ blue collar classes to be something she says just to appeal to you, her talking about latino's and blacks simply a play for their vote... Maybe we too would rather have the honest asshole than the smiling lying cheat?
You mean honest as in showing a complete disregard for any factual basis for the arguments he puts forward?

Abizzz

You mean honest as in showing a complete disregard for any factual basis for the arguments he puts forward?
Well he never really did make a secret out of his learning disabilities...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
She isn't always lying though. And Trump isn't honest at all. In fact, its pretty evident that she's about as honest as your regular political. Trump is a lying machine. Half the time he makes it up as he goes.

The whole "he tells it like it is" is a complete con job. Being a wacko who says ridiculous things isn't being honest.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
The sobering reality is that the decades of being ruled by generally terrible politicians has resulted in a disenfranchised electorate who feel they are being ignored/left behind. This makes people upset and angry. Upset and angry people often do stupid things without neccesarily thinking things through.

Result = Brexit and President Trump

Politicians of the world hang your collective heads in shame.
Not trying to be pedantic but you mean disenchanted, right?

Abizzz

She isn't always lying though. And Trump isn't honest at all. In fact, its pretty evident that she's about as honest as your regular political. Trump is a lying machine. Half the time he makes it up as he goes.

The whole "he tells it like it is" is a complete con job.
Yeah I agree with you. I'm just trying to construct some kind of rational thought as to why so many people voted for that excuse of a New Yorker.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The whole "he tells it like it is" is a complete con job.
I think people sometimes confuse telling it like it is with saying terrible things.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
My mother told me she's buying me mouthwash for Christmas for repeating the very same things as the guy she voted for.
Given that 55% of white American women voted for Trump, is it now acceptable for me to ask a white American woman if I can grab her by the pussy?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not trying to be pedantic but you mean disenchanted, right?
I think that he means that they feel excluded, marginalized, not represented by the establishment.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Yes, because you seemed baffled by the actual concept of it. The fact that polls aren't always accurate (which we all already knew anyway) doesn't make the concept itself preposterous in the slightest. We use computer generated models in so many other areas that the idea of someone viewing it as some kind of mad witchcraft was pretty hilarious. It was like you'd only just landed in this century.
And yet I was on the money.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And yet I was on the money.
About Trump getting elected? Sure, you might have been for all I know. It doesn't doesn't make your confusion at the idea of polling any less funny though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever floats your boat dude. I'm not the one who put any faith in an absurd computer program.
Right. Just so we're clear though, you do understand that computer models have been part of things like physics, chemistry, biology, climatology, medicine, engineering, psychology, economics, flight, astronomy, ecology and social sciences since around the mid 20th century?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I was very much against Brexit but I think Trump is a good thing.

Big brash idiot Republican to counteract Obama's wussiness on the international stage, Putin might welcome Trump now but I see them becoming huge rivals over time, if Putin thinks he can ride roughshod over American interests with only monetary punishments with redneck Trump in charge backed by his tub thumping hillbilly support he has another thing coming. Trump is someone who will actually address problems he sees without any thought for stepping on shoes or political correctness, a quality we never see with actual politicians.

He's been very positive about a post-Brexit trade deal to boot.
Doesn't that just end in World War 3?