Twelve Miserable Flops

RustyS

We have another thread for the sh*thouses but that thread seems to include good players who have flopped (Casillas) or are in the process of flopping as well as players who are just sh*t (Altidore...I mean what were we really expecting?).

I thought we can make a thread to monitor only good players who have been absolute flops at this world cup and make a starting 11. The 12th spot is for a manager who has flopped.

So far, there's been an impressive list of not-so-impressive performers. My potential 11 would have:

Casillas
xx - Pepe - xx - xx
Gerrard - Song - Alonso
xx - Costa - xx

By the end of this world cup, there will be an outstanding team, on paper, that was actually shocking in reality.

I predict that at least one poster will say England!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pique Ramos Baines, Dani Alves

Banana007

Ronaldo has flopped in the first match but he has 2 matches left in the group and probably more, I'm not a big Ronaldo but you can't call him a fop after 1 game.

RustyS

major flops SO FAR:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Pepe
Casillas
Pique
Xavi
Xabi Alonso
Silva
Diego Costa
A.Song
Sturridge
Gerrard
Rooney
Henderson
Baines
Cassano
Pirlo
Balotelli
Benaglio
Ronaldo is injured so I didn't want to put him in there. I think Balotelli, Rooney, Henderson, Pirlo, and Sturridge are all harsh to different extents.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't include Spain in the flops. They've won three major tournaments in a row, I give them a pass.

Jammydodger7

major flops SO FAR:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Pepe
Casillas
Pique
Xavi
Xabi Alonso
Silva
Diego Costa
A.Song
Sturridge
Gerrard
Rooney
Henderson
Baines
Cassano
Pirlo
Balotelli

Benaglio
I really don't know why some are on that list, Ronaldo wasn't great but it was against Germany where he wasn't 100% fit, I wouldn't call it a flop.
Sturridge has been decent I think and Pirlo was brilliant against England, not great against Costa Rica but one bad game doesn't mean he's a flop and I'm not a big fan of Pirlo. Same goes for Balotelli, was poor against Costa Rica but didn't get enough of the ball, He also scored the winner against England.

Jammydodger7

I wouldn't include Spain in the flops. They've won three major tournaments in a row, I give them a pass.
Which should be more of a reason to call them flops? Going from winning 3 tournaments in a row to getting knocked out of the WC after 2 games.

Moby

Dick
You can't really call someone who had one bad game a flop, tbh.

I can see these lists being dominated by England and Spanish players.

Blackwidow

Ronaldo is injured so I didn't want to put him in there. I think Balotelli, Rooney, Henderson, Pirlo, and Sturridge are all harsh to different extents.
If Ronaldo is injured he should not play. If he plays he was fit, or - everything else is just an excuse for a bad performance... He was normally running in the match and never looked like anything would really hurt him...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
major flops SO FAR:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Pepe
Casillas
Pique
Xavi
Xabi Alonso
Silva
Diego Costa
A.Song
Sturridge
Gerrard
Rooney
Henderson
Baines
Cassano
Pirlo
Balotelli
Benaglio
One goal and one assist while playing out of position Rooney?

I don't like him, I'd rather we sell him but let's have a bit of perspective eh? Major flop, fecking hell.

KYcinco

If Ronaldo is injured he should not play. If he plays he was fit, or - everything else is just an excuse for a bad performance... He was normally running in the match and never looked like anything would really hurt him...
does this apply to rooney too?:wenger:

MUFCpiffgawd

major flops SO FAR:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Pepe
Casillas
Pique
Xavi
Xabi Alonso
Silva
Diego Costa
A.Song
Sturridge
Gerrard
Rooney
Henderson
Baines
Cassano
Pirlo
Balotelli

Benaglio
These players aren't flops.

KYcinco

who expected Cassano to perform?

i dont know why he's on the list....

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
How can we say players are flops when they have played 1/2 games? Ronaldo etc could hit a hattrick next game.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How on earth can rooney be a flop? A goal and an assist in 2 games, whilst being englands best player in the second game. People really will believe anything they read in the papers.

Jaytay

major flops SO FAR:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Pepe
Casillas
Pique
Xavi
Xabi Alonso
Silva
Diego Costa
A.Song
Sturridge
Gerrard
Rooney
Henderson
Baines
Cassano
Pirlo
Balotelli
Benaglio

Why are Pirlo, Balotelli, Sturridge or even Cristiano Ronaldo in their?

Jaytay

Suarez played and he wasn't fit either, you can tell he wasn't fit but fortunately he managed to score goals. Teams play unfit player get off your high horse, England have played Rooney when he wasn't clearly fit to in tournament so how can you say if he isn't fit he shouldn't play? He's their best player of course he's going to play

Eila

---------------Casillas-------------
Lichsteiner---Pique---Pepe---Baines
-----------Song-----Alonso--------
---Xavi------------------Kagawa---
---------Hernandez---Costa--------
United players have been disappointing so far. Hernandez and Kagawa being subs is just so bad. Microphone head is also a sub, but at a least he scored.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Excuses already in for Ronaldo, go out the tournament and he's not 100% fit, injured, team mates rubbish etc. Go past the group stage and score a couple and he's a genius, one man team, did it on one leg etc. Ronaldo's PR team are quite something.

Eriksen

major flops SO FAR:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Pepe
Casillas
Pique
Xavi
Xabi Alonso
Silva
Diego Costa
A.Song
Sturridge
Gerrard
Rooney
Henderson
Baines
Cassano
Pirlo
Balotelli
Benaglio

Pirlo?! What the hell are you smoking ffs. Excellent vs. England, controlled the game. Pressed well vs. Costa Rica but still played some absolutely brilliant balls that Balotelli contrived to screw up. Was still Italy's best player in that game from what I could see.

MoskvaRed

Depends what your expectations are. Did anyone expect brilliant performances from Baines for example when he was widely seen as a good PL player but not much more ("widely" excludes Moyes of course who was willing to waste around 25m on a decent 28 year old left back)?

Eriksen

Depends what your expectations are. Did anyone expect brilliant performances from Baines for example when he was widely seen as a good PL player but not much more ("widely" excludes Moyes of course who was willing to waste around 25m on a decent 28 year old left back)?
Brilliant performances? No. Not looking like a total liability every game? Yes.

RedFish

Gerrard still annoying the crap out of me for his non-performances so far. I'll remember him for 2 things. Never winning the Premier League and spectacularly failing at every European or World Cup he ever played in. Well done Stevie G!

Eriksen

But he has rarely played at that level for club or country so it was an unknown whether he could step up. Unfortunately he couldn't.
He plays against Premier League players better than the ones Uruguay put on and Candreva who he got destroyed by, so its pretty surprising to see him look that poor.