Tyrell Malacia image 12

Tyrell Malacia Netherlands flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

bstb3

Yeah it sounded to me like that too - essentially the season is running out and although he is back on grass he's nowhere near ready and likely won't be. He also said he had been assured by the medics in December that Malacia and Shaw would be ready and available in Jan, which was why the decision to let Reguilon go was made. I don't think ETH is particularly happy with them for that.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

• Tyrell Malacia is not expected to play for Manchester United this season, potentially leaving Erik ten Hag without either of his recognised left-backs for the remainder of the campaign.
  • Malacia has not played since undergoing surgery on a knee injury last summer. The 24-year-old then suffered a setback during his rehabilitation which required a further procedure.
  • United said in December that Malacia was expected to return to action “in the new year”, but Ten Hag revealed on Friday that although the Netherlands international is back in training, he is unlikely to be in contention for selection between now and the end of May.
  • “I think it’s going to be difficult for him this season to be available,” Ten Hag said.
  • “He will fight, he’s back on the pitch, but not in the team and the process had some setbacks for him and he’s still going forwards really slowly, and the season is coming to an end.”
  • Malacia’s absence has been keenly felt in recent weeks as United are currently without first-choice left-back Luke Shaw, who suffered a muscle injury last month that is likely to keep him out until at least the final weeks of the season.

jem

Hopefully not
I’ve never understand the negativity towards Malacia. For a young player in his first year in a new league, I thought he was ok last year. I reminder he had one glaring mistake in a game in the later stages of the season, but on the whole, I thought he acquitted himself quite well.

Remember the geese

I’ve never understand the negativity towards Malacia. For a young player in his first year in a new league, I thought he was ok last year. I reminder he had one glaring mistake in a game in the later stages of the season, but on the whole, I thought he acquitted himself quite well.
My comment wasn't a completely accurate portrayal of my thoughts on the player. You're right, Malacia did ok last season. Aggressive and tenacious, which is good. He did however, offer next to nothing going forward. My original remark was born out of frustration for these ridiculous injuries we keep picking up. One serial offender being Luke Shaw. Therefore, we need to sign a top left back and Shaw can fill in here and there when available. That leaves Malacia as being fairly redundant, in my eyes. Even more so when Amass gets given an opportunity to step up in the next year or two.

What we can't do, is think that we can get by fine with Shaw and Malacia.

ShinjiNinja26

Feck sake, these injuries are brutal. Feels like an age ago that he last made an appearance for us. Very unfortunate, we could really have done with him coming back right now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's weird that they hid saying that he had surgery? Doesn't make sense at all

iKeano

Stinks doesn't it? Keane was back in less time when he did his ACL 20+ years ago. There's something rotten I the Utd Medical team and has been for years - no other club has these ongoing, secretive vague injuries.
Malacia isn't the answer anyway, just another bang average player taking up a spot in the squad (on the physio table).
Shaw, Malacia, Williams... the list goes on. Get fit or get out.

jem

My comment wasn't a completely accurate portrayal of my thoughts on the player. You're right, Malacia did ok last season. Aggressive and tenacious, which is good. He did however, offer next to nothing going forward. My original remark was born out of frustration for these ridiculous injuries we keep picking up. One serial offender being Luke Shaw. Therefore, we need to sign a top left back and Shaw can fill in here and there when available. That leaves Malacia as being fairly redundant, in my eyes. Even more so when Amass gets given an opportunity to step up in the next year or two.

What we can't do, is think that we can get by fine with Shaw and Malacia.
fair enough

Sniper007

I’ve got a hunch he’s been kidnapped by Dutch Mafia, but the club are trying to keep it under wraps.

Paddymcc

I don't understand why they don't just say he has 'insert generic injury' and will be back in so many months barring any complications.

It just leads to speculation by fans and trolls.

There have been people back quicker with double leg breaks FFS.

LordSpud

The disappearance of this kid is weird as hell to say the least. You'd have expected someone of his age to pop up on socials or something

Matt851

I don't get how through clubs silence in injuries is meant to help in anyway, just makes us seek more dysfunctional

AndySmith1990

If he never returns we should start a myth about him being buried under the new stadium

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
At this point you have to ask is he alive, has the medical team made a huge mistake during his surgery and everyone is told to keep it cool till they figure a way out?

Ekeke

With how Lisandro has come back and not looked right, then got injured again came back and did well oly to get injured again... imagine how bad Malacia's situation must be for us not to just throw him in.

GMoore23

Looking more and more like this could be another Jones/Hargreaves situation.

izec

As i said in the matchday thread, hope Ineos take a control of our medical department and do a shake up. Something is fishy. Cant be bad luck all these years

lex talionis

The secrecy surrounding Malacia is bang out of order. If it is a serious knee injury with rehab going badly what’s the downside in being forthcoming about it?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Is he, you know...alive?
Has he been seen publicly? :S

Ljungster

There is a theory on Twitter that Malacia has been in witness protection regarding Quincy Promes... And Quincy just got arrested in Dubai so if Malacia all of a sudden appears then that theory might be correct..

Paddymcc

At this rate of going Sancho and Greenwood will back playing for United before him.

Stadjer

There is a theory on Twitter that Malacia has been in witness protection regarding Quincy Promes... And Quincy just got arrested in Dubai so if Malacia all of a sudden appears then that theory might be correct..
That sounds totally ridiculous. He could just be... you know, injured.

tomaldinho1

There's also a theory he's dead...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

Rojofiam

That was a joke, but would be funny if he actually guessed the truth

IMO they messed up Malacia's operation, so then he had to get another one

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That was a joke, but would be funny if he actually guessed the truth

IMO they messed up Malacia's operation, so then he had to get another one
Hes obviously not in witness protection as I think he's still been in some media. But yeah the setback on his injury is a broad umbrella term for anything. It's a shame.