Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

This is the exact type of signing we’ve been missing for some time, yes we currently have 2 LBs but in the grand scheme neither are good enough for the long term so taking a flyer on this type of player could see us fill a gap at a decent fee.

You can’t build a team on Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane summers. The best clubs don’t handicap their transfer windows by making do, ffs we’ve just seen Pool sign Diaz a window earlier than initially planned, you’ve got to be flexible.

Elcabron

Opps you caught that part. It was left over from what was intended as a tongue in cheek joke.

Well scouted signings shouldn't need £50m spend, but badly scouted and assessed does end up with Dan James level signings.
We have made far worse signings than Dan James over the last 10 years. Yes he wasn't up to it ability wise but I can't think of any other player we sold over the last 10 years where we made a 50% profit on their transfer fees. It's usually a 50% loss so James was very refreshing in that regard.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Malacia looks very good from what I've seen, but in a very different way and different time so did Buttner. Telles should also have been a hit. Hard to tell till the physical test occurs, but I also think our midfield is making everyone worse. Well timed and judged passes and proper movement of the team in unison can really make full backs thrive.

Maguire is another problem. Not pushing up exposes further wingbacks who do push forward.
Agree, but Malacia played with slow centre backs last season as well. Malacia drives up, but he's a defense first type player. I think he'll adjust quickly. On what level remains to be seen, but I really doubt he's gonna be seen as a flop.

I remember when Büttner came to United I was just completely baffled. Yes, he had a pretty decent strike in him and some pace, but he wasn't on the level of Malacia that much is clear. Imo it's unfair to Malacia to compare him to Büttner. Malacia has proved himself at a higher level than Büttner had back then.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Really happy about this signing. Been a fan ever since I was researching Antony. Whilst watching one of those "player vs team" all touches videos, I saw Antony get dominated by Malacia. So much so it made me question whether Antony was ready for the next level.

I think Malacia is what we had hoped AWB would be. A dogged, athletic full back who carries the ball well, can pass and provides decent delivery. Shaw maybe able to hold him off for one year but not much more than that.

croadyman

As long as the signings are an upgrade and good enough then I don't care if he's signing his entire family let alone simply Dutch players.
He's about to (hopefuly) change our entire philosophy so I understand if he needs players that get it straight away and help him achieve it.

When it clicks it'll be much simpler to add new players and coach them into an already functioning setup.
Yeah my thoughts exactly

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We have made far worse signings than Dan James over the last 10 years. Yes he wasn't up to it ability wise but I can't think of any other player we sold over the last 10 years where we made a 50% profit on their transfer fees. It's usually a 50% loss so James was very refreshing in that regard.
The only reason we made such a profit on Dan James was because Leeds make very questionable transfer decisions, like Firpo. We were incredibly lucky we found a stupid buyer.
Mala
Sea

or

ma
Lacia

?
Ma la
See ya

Aretak

This is the exact type of signing we’ve been missing for some time, yes we currently have 2 LBs but in the grand scheme neither are good enough for the long term so taking a flyer on this type of player could see us fill a gap at a decent fee.

You can’t build a team on Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane summers. The best clubs don’t handicap their transfer windows by making do, ffs we’ve just seen Pool sign Diaz a window earlier than initially planned, you’ve got to be flexible.
I mean, it's not like the club hasn't made those sort of signings. There have been a bunch of defenders signed relatively cheaply as a bit of a gamble.

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

None of them were/are even close to good enough. That's doesn't mean it isn't still worth taking a punt for that of money, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Muh-Lass-Ear?

At least that’s how I thought it was pronounced. It almost sounds like molasses.
I don't understand the English fascination with putting an R at the end of every name ending with an A :lol: Borussiur Dortmund. Pogbur, Barcelonur etc. There's no R in Malacia.

Ma-lá-sia

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don't understand the English fascination with putting an R at the end of every name ending with an A :lol: Borussiur Dortmund. Pogbur, Barcelonur etc. There's no R in Malacia.

Ma-lá-sia
[/QUOTE]

it’s not an /r/ it’s a weak-form of an ‘a’. In American English you would probably get an /r/

PoTMS

Ma-lá-sia
No one pronounces any of those like that.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
No one pronounces any of those like that.
It's something me and my Dutch friends have noticed. Maybe I'm not writing it the correct way phonetically but I clearly hear a soft R often when a foreign name is pronounced that ends with a vowel. Not all the time, but with Pogba I'm 100% sure and the same goes for Borussia.

I think it's called an "intrusive R"

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's something me and my Dutch friends have noticed. Maybe I'm not writing it the correct way phonetically but I clearly hear a soft R often when a foreign name is pronounced that ends with a vowel.
Just because speakers of different languages will put the stress on their pronunciation in different ways that reflects how words that seem similar in their own language are pronounced. There aren't really any words with that quick, unenunciated -ia sound at the end of a word in English so the end of Malacia's name will be spoken the way people say the end of the word 'media' or 'phobia' etc.

Basically the same as how the 'th' sound doesn't exist in Dutch, so a Dutchman speaking English will just pick either 't' or 'd' and go with that, and we get 'others' being pronounced as 'udders'. :D

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Just because speakers of different languages will put the stress on their pronunciation in different ways that reflects how words that seem similar in their own language are pronounced. There aren't really any words with that quick, unenunciated -ia sound at the end of a word in English so the end of Malacia's name will be spoken the way people say the end of the word 'media' or 'phobia' etc.

Basically the same as how the 'th' sound doesn't exist in Dutch, so a Dutchman speaking English will just pick either 't' or 'd' and go with that, and we get 'others' being pronounced as 'udders'. :D
I do understand what you're saying, but media and phobia don't have an 'r' either. Yet some English folk will sometimes, (not consistently) add an R. I just think it's funny.

I cannot pronounce Three (tree) or third (turd) for the life of me btw :lol:

Hawks2008

My background is Greek so his name alone means he is worth signing :D

On a serious note though he can't be worse than Telles.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Reminds me more of Jetro Willems rather than Buttner, highly rated at one of the bigger clubs in Eredevise, around the same number of games, similar build, eye for a pass.

I remember really wanting Willems back then, Fifa legend! Let's hope Malacia turns out a little better.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I mean, it's not like the club hasn't made those sort of signings. There have been a bunch of defenders signed relatively cheaply as a bit of a gamble.

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

None of them were/are even close to good enough. That's doesn't mean it isn't still worth taking a punt for that of money, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
Well we’ve made some expensive signings in defenders too and they have been shambles past season:

Maguire - £80m
AWB - £49m
Lindelof - £31m

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

Depends how you're looking at it. In terms of our ambition to reach title winning levels, none of those players will meet the standard. However keeping in mind that we were a 4th to 6th placed team at the time, Blind at 14 million was a really good addition. For a top 4 challenger or even squad player at a top side, he was great. The others I agree were mostly nothing footballers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Really happy about this signing. Been a fan ever since I was researching Antony. Whilst watching one of those "player vs team" all touches videos, I saw Antony get dominated by Malacia. So much so it made me question whether Antony was ready for the next level.

I think Malacia is what we had hoped AWB would be. A dogged, athletic full back who carries the ball well, can pass and provides decent delivery. Shaw maybe able to hold him off for one year but not much more than that.
tbf one would have expected AWB to be better going forward when we got him considering he was a converted right-winger.

I also watched the Malacia v Antony video. Had the same takeaways as you did about Antony. You could see Antony being locked down by Malacia. And was getting very frustrated and eventually lost his rag. The other video of Malacia in the Roma final was insightful in that he was pretty good going forward. Decent cross on him.

If Antony was a 20-30milion fee, it would be worth the punt. Flair players are always re-selleable. But at 50-60million?

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He looks fat and exudes laziness, is constantly injured and has had only one United worthy season which was the previous year.
funny. I'm pretty sure he was your player of the season 18-19 and had another excellent season 20-21 where he was pipped to player of the season by Bruno, he was voted best left back of Euro 2020 by BBC viewers (he got 48% of the vote which was by far the highest vote percentage for any winner in any position)

Yes he's had some pretty poor times as well, specifically under Mourinho who treated him like sh*t and of course last season, but everyone in your squad was appalling last season.

The writing off as Shaw as a player is a bit harsh imo and I would not be surprised if, with a good bit of competition from Malacia and the need to reclaim his place for the world cup, you'll see him hit top form again this season, which will of course make a massive difference for whoever plays in front of him be it Rashford or Sancho.

Ibi Dreams

It's something me and my Dutch friends have noticed. Maybe I'm not writing it the correct way phonetically but I clearly hear a soft R often when a foreign name is pronounced that ends with a vowel. Not all the time, but with Pogba I'm 100% sure and the same goes for Borussia.

It's called a schwa and it's the most common vowel sound in English. It's the "uh" sound, and you're right that it's at the end of Pogba (usually pronounced more like Pogbuh) and Borussia (Borussiuh).

Chicharo

No, intrusive /r/ is in some dialects added when a word ends with a vowel and the second word begins with a vowel, since it is easier to pronounce it.
"Australia s all the way!" is an example our professor used to reminds of

NoPace

I hope we can find buyers for Telles and Williams.
I think we could probably get 6M or so for Williams. He's young and can play both wings, beat out a decent but struggling player in Aarons.

Telles is tough because of his salary, but maybe a Serie A club for about the same amount? He can cross a ball and has an Italian passport.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
1v1 defensively he'll pocket the best wide forwards in the league imo. But he's also got the ability/potential to grow further as a player both defensively and offensively.

And from what i've read about him, he has a fantastic attitude.

prateik

Not a good look for Antony tbh :lol:
Antony does look like the kind of player who'll get labelled as a diver and wont get freekicks even when he is fouled..
Also.. wtf was the ending. Antony got hurt.. he came back onto the pitch and Tadic threw him down (to waste time?) and poor guy gets sent off..

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
1v1 defensively he'll pocket the best wide forwards in the league imo. But he's also got the ability/potential to grow further as a player both defensively and offensively.

And from what i've read about him, he has a fantastic attitude.
This sounds remarkably like AWB when you bought him. Apart from the price does he show more attacking potential?

I really think the key to getting the best out of Rashford and Sancho is strong attacking fullbacks behind them. It’s no coincidence that some of Rashford’s best form coincided with Shaws.

Teja

Antony does look like the kind of player who'll get labelled as a diver and wont get freekicks even when he is fouled..
Also.. wtf was the ending. Antony got hurt.. he came back onto the pitch and Tadic threw him down (to waste time?) and poor guy gets sent off..
Yeah I noticed that too, no idea who got sent off there / why.

Status
Not open for further replies.