Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You'd expect Ten Hag to have his pick of the best young talents from the Dutch league. He's obviously watched Malacia a lot. United haven't had a manager for a while that has shopped in the market for players of that age and price range, that can be coached and improved. It's been big names and big prices. Recruitment had to change.
Yup. And with LB we at least do have someone who has at times been excellent (awful last season though). RB we genuinely don't have any quality whatsoever. So we can still shell out a bit more, if needed.

Red_toad

His shooting and crossing look better than it is in the compilation. He attempts a lot of them so he's bound to have a few screamers/assists in there.

He is capable of having an entire game where he fails to deliver a single good cross.

Malacia is better than our left backs this season. If Shaw plays like Shawberto (last season), then he'd force most left backs to the bench. Malacia's injury record is stellar. He's missed 1 out of 46 games this season with a minor knock.
How can you substantiate such a claim? One plays in a farmers league, the rest in the best league on the planet (in my opinion). The quality of opposition is and intensity is just poles apart. Pretty sure Telles would be able to put decent crosses in in the Dutch league, something he struggles to do here.
Best you can claim is he’s done well at a far lower level and performed more consistently at that level.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How can you substantiate such a claim? One plays in a farmers league, the rest in the best league on the planet (in my opinion). The quality of opposition is and intensity is just poles apart. Pretty sure Telles would be able to put decent crosses in in the Dutch league, something he struggles to do here.
Best you can claim is he’s done well at a far lower level and performed more consistently at that level.
Because Telles is one of the worst players I have ever seen at United. He's not fit to lace Buttner's boots. Shaw has been a disgrace this season. Him and Maguire looked like a slapstick sketch at times.

Simply put because our LBs have been dogshit this season and Malacia's put in good performances against German NT (Norway too, I think?), Atletico Madrid (Carrasco), Ajax (2x, Antony), Olympique Marseille, France U21 and PSV.

Being better than our LBs have been this season is a really low bar.

If you're happy with all our players (our LBs have been among our worst) because they are "in the best league on the planet" (your opinion), fine. Lets not get players from other leagues.

Your farmer league argument could be used against the claim that Antony is a better winger than Rashford has been this season, or Timber vs Maguire.

I have seen Shaw, Telles and Malacia play a lot this season. That's what I'm basing it on. What different answer were you expecting?

ManRed

YES! I was actually dreaming about this one!!!

Feyenoord's asking price when a French club (Lyon) was interested recently, was reported to be about 12-14 million or something. He'd be cheap and a massive improvement on Telles. It was also rumoured he was on Ajax's radar last summer.

Every time he's tested he seems to be able to adjust and make the step up. He's brilliant defensively (both one on one and in his positioning) and has a top mentality.

His problem is in the final 3rd. His cross and shot is a bit shit. He doesn't do a whole lot in the final 3rd, but he's okay at supporting a winger.

IMO Malacia is much better than WIjndal, because Wijndals defensive positioning isn't as good, he's only good one on one.

Despite not being a technical maestro, Malacia is very solid in the build up. Good short passing and often makes the correct decision even when pressed.

Again, Malacia's delivery is dreadful. There's a lot of work to be done in that area.
Another AWB but on the left wing

Rocknrolla69er

Fancy ever buying any players from any leagues apart from the prem, la liga and Italy.

The mind boggles.

I honestly trust Ragnick and ETH's eyes for a player, I trust they l also have a very in depth stat system to identify effective players for an effective system.

Or we could just go out and sign Pogba and Lukaku and hope for the best..........

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I wrote this on August on Malacia:

It really boggles the mind that they're not looking to extend with Haps and sell Malacia to Brugge. They've offered €6M.
Fair to say he's improved a lot since then.

Another AWB but on the left wing
Absolute not.

Malacia's defensive game is good all round, not just one on one like AWB.

Malacia's good in the build up. Knows who to pass to and where to position. AWB is clueless with the ball in his own half as well.

Malacia has a top mentality on and off the pitch. He reads books in his spare time and does charitable work, like promoting literacy. AWB is a proven idiot off the pitch.
One could maybe improve, the other is hopeless.

Both can't shoot/cross for shit, but the similarities end there.

flappyjay

No idea how good he is but sales to both Telles and Williams would easily fund the move, so wouldn’t be mad at it. Think RB is probably slightly more important, but both sides could be improved.
Shaw is always injured and Telles is horrible. An lb is welcome. Dalot ain't great but he is no where near as bad as telles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I wrote this on August on Malacia:

Fair to say he's improved a lot since then.

Absolute not.

Malacia's defensive game is good all round, not just one on one like AWB.

Malacia's good in the build up. Knows who to pass to and where to position. AWB is clueless with the ball in his own half as well.

Malacia has a top mentality on and off the pitch. He reads books in his spare time and does charitable work, like promoting literacy. AWB is a proven idiot off the pitch.
One could maybe improve, the other is hopeless.

Both can't shoot/cross for shit, but the similarities end there.
Nice to see someone other than me loving Malacia. He's such a brilliant lad.

Not sure he's as good as you think though. He is improving greatly over the last two seasons, but has had some very questionable performances as well this season. That's not something he can do at United.

You are right that he was great against the Germans though and especially against Antony (vs Ajax) who should've been send of after 15 minutes in the first game after smacking him out of frustration after losing duel after duel.

In the end it's hard to say. A guy like Dumfries whl was told he wasnt good enough at every step is now doing great at Inter and Malacia does have the same intensity, if not Denzel's physicality.

Red_toad

Because Telles is one of the worst players I have ever seen at United. He's not fit to lace Buttner's boots. Shaw has been a disgrace this season. Him and Maguire looked like a slapstick sketch at times.

Simply put because our LBs have been dogshit this season and Malacia's put in good performances against German NT (Norway too, I think?), Atletico Madrid (Carrasco), Ajax (2x, Antony), Olympique Marseille, France U21 and PSV.

Being better than our LBs have been this season is a really low bar.

If you're happy with all our players (our LBs have been among our worst) because they are "in the best league on the planet" (your opinion), fine. Lets not get players from other leagues.

Your farmer league argument could be used against the claim that Antony is a better winger than Rashford has been this season, or Timber vs Maguire.

I have seen Shaw, Telles and Malacia play a lot this season. That's what I'm basing it on. What different answer were you expecting?
Ah so it’s because you say so. Thanks for clearing that up.
:rolleyes:

valeron21

A left back that is good defensively but cross doesn’t sound appealing to me, a modern fullback needs to be able to positively contribute to the attack

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m cautious because fans will be on his back quickly due to his lack of end product in the opposition half

our fans seem to have a realistic expectation that we are going to uncover another TAA somewhere

gajender

I’m cautious because fans will be on his back quickly due to his lack of end product in the opposition half

our fans seem to have a realistic expectation that we are going to uncover another TAA somewhere
That's BS to be honest most of the fans would be ok if they can be decent footballers unlike some of our current options who hardly resemble professional players to be honest .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That's BS to be honest most of the fans would be ok if they can be decent footballers unlike some of our current options who hardly resemble professional players to be honest .
Is it? Why do the names TAA and Cancelo keep being raised in arguments then? Right on this very board. It seems it’s not enough to say “our RB/LB are not good enough going forward..”

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just thinking, whatever happened to that LB that was breaking through at Fulham and eventually joined Spurs ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

As long as he's able to recieve and move the ball forward under pressure (unlike AWB) then ouput might not be an issue.

Worth noting that in this Ajax side the left back Blind's principal role is often to come narrow into defence/midfield to help build possession and solidify their defensive structure while they're in possession rather than press forward into attacking positions himself. And it's interesting that the article posted above suggest a similar role for this lad:

He can be a 1v1 outlet maintaining width from the touchline, and he can also stretch the backline with runs in between the opposing fullback and center-back, but I think his most valuable and unique role is the position he takes up between the lines, almost like a quasi-center midfielder....

His season’s heatmap shows just how much central space he occupies. The amount of time he spends in that left half-space in the opponent’s half is highly noticeable.

It’s also intriguing to see how little time he spends near the opposing endline near the corner flag, especially when you think about a typical fullback’s responsibility in the attack. Instead of getting to the end line and putting in crosses, Malacia leaves that to the winger. More often than not, he finds himself moving into central areas either in or just around the box
Blind has just 1 goal and 2 assists in the league this season, this guy 1 goal and 4. Being good enough on the ball is vital but that isn't the same as providing high output.

Another example would be Kyle Walker. A fullback with low final third output but who has still been a mainstay in that City side while being good enough in possession. There's more than one way to use a fullback.

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Part of me would really prefer someone like Grimaldo who is better technically. But can understand this move due to how poor we've been defending the left side (to the point teams are actually targeting this area).

Castia

Lack of end product is concerning, it’s arguably the most important trait of a modern full back these days

I mean AWB is a great defender but offers feck all going forward so it a mediocre right back

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Lack of end product is concerning, it’s arguably the most important trait of a modern full back these days

I mean AWB is a great defender but offers feck all going forward so it a mediocre right back
It depends how they are used mainly in comparison to the wingers. City don't get a lot of end product from Walker for example, although they do with Cancelo.

We've seen with Telles that being a 'good crosser' is completely irrelevant if you are dire in every other aspect. We need stamina, aggression and workrate in our full backs as much as quality on the ball.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Crossing a football is just one trait to being a good fullback. Pace, ball progression, and the ability to run up and down the flank for 90 minutes are all far more important.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ah so it’s because you say so. Thanks for clearing that up.
:rolleyes:
Sorry if you're opinion of "it's the farmers league", didn't convince me to change my informed opinion that was based on having seen all 3 players in action this season.

Nice to see someone other than me loving Malacia. He's such a brilliant lad.

Not sure he's as good as you think though. He is improving greatly over the last two seasons, but has had some very questionable performances as well this season. That's not something he can do at United.

You are right that he was great against the Germans though and especially against Antony (vs Ajax) who should've been send of after 15 minutes in the first game after smacking him out of frustration after losing duel after duel.

In the end it's hard to say. A guy like Dumfries whl was told he wasnt good enough at every step is now doing great at Inter and Malacia does have the same intensity, if not Denzel's physicality.
He's clearly not the finished product and isn't great technically, but he's already better than Telles in every area other than whipping a cross in, and unlike Shaw, always available (missed 1 out of 47 games this season). He'd obviously sit on the bench if Shaw is in form.

I don't think there are better LBs available under 20 million. We desperately need to replace Telles in addition to signing 3-5 other players.

gajender

He isn't a great defender and he is mediocre right back because he struggles under any sort of pressure and is bomb scare on the ball , while being abysmal when it comes to progression of play his lack of end product is least of his concerns .
He is just a limited player who has no business being at the Club which has any notion of being Big Club .

Last edited:

FeyenoordUK

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm a Feyenoord fan, have watched him play weekly for the last 4.5 years. First of all, despite this being originally reported by the Sunday Mirror, it seems to be legit. There's this Feyenoord clubwatcher who doesn't work for any media but is part of the fanbase. He has all the scoops. He confirms that this is correct. It is also unsurprising, given that Erik ten Hag has previously in press conferences confirmed that he's a big fan of Malacia. Together with Wijndal, he was on Ajax's list for a new leftback.

Club Brugge went in for him with a bid of around 8 million pounds last year, which Feyenoord rejected. Club Brugge is no longer interested, but Lyon, Bournemouth and West Ham are currently interested. He is 100% on the move this summer, as he has admitted that Feyenoord hasn't invited for the photoshoot with next seasons jersey. Among supporters, the expectation is that we would sell him for about 12 million pounds, but this may increase with the surging interest. He'll definitely be available for 20 million pounds or less.

Now as to his quality. He came through Feyenoord youth's rank and played for national youth teams. He wasn't considered one of the best talents in the academy, but he got his chance when the first team had several injuries. He made his debut in a Champions League game against Napoli at the age of 18. He played amazingly and Feyenoord won. Since, he has managed to become an important player and obtain a place in the starting eleven. He also has three caps for the Netherlands now, including a start against Germany. He is definitely a Premier League level leftback, although Manchester United may be a bit high. I think a club like Leicester or West Ham would make most sense, I reckon he would be a starter for them (or a back up at United).

He's a very fast and, although short, also a strong player. He is defensively very good, which is the reason why he always plays well in big games where you're put on the back foot for certain phases of the game. He has a brilliant sliding tackle. I think that he carries a resemblance to N'Golo Kanté, despite playing a different position. The only downside of his defensive capabilities is that sometimes he can sometimes be a bit wild. He sometimes picks up cards or may concede a penalty because of a rough challenge, although that's gotten better this year.

His pace also helps him offensively. He gets forward whenever he can and is quite good in his short passing and dribbling. Feyenoord's head coach has said that sometimes he should not dwell on the ball as much as he's inviting challenges, but generally he's good on the ball. His crosses are however not good, don't expect him to feed balls to the strikers. His long shots are also often off target, but he does have an incredibly hard shot. If they're on target, they're goals.

All in all, a physically really strong player with a strong tackle and decent dribbling. He's not better than Shaw but he's definitely a Premier League level leftback

SER19

Never seen him play but the first video reminds me of evra in terms of footwork and those little bursts of pace. If he was even 2/3rds Evra we'd be doing well. Right back a greater priority for me but hopefully ten hag gets whatever he wants

Devil may care

cant cross or shoot ? so hes a left back version of wan-bissaka ??
That's what it sounds like from the description, string defensively but offers nothing going forwards, seems odd that Ajax would have targeted him.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Solid player. Always impresses me. Is young and has some caps for the NT in which he plays really well.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
This is getting some traction, is he actually any good?
He is really good. Most promising fullback we have in the Eredivisie. Insane stamina, really good on 1vs1 defending. Technically very good. Only part he sucks at is crossing. Good dribble and insanely good 1vs1 and a great passer. He creates space for attackers.

Hope you guys sign Timber, Malacia and Sangara for about 70/80m. It would improve your squad dramastically.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He is really good. Most promising fullback we have in the Eredivisie. Insane stamina, really good on 1vs1 defending. Technically very good. Only part he sucks at is crossing. Good dribble and insanely good 1vs1. He creates space for attackers.

Hope you guys sign Timber, Malacia and Sangara for about 70/80m. It would improve your squad dramastically.
Is he that big of a talent that we'd be looking to replace shaw with? Thats some High praise your giving the lad here so hopefully your right if we did end up getting him.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Is he that big of a talent that we'd be looking to replace shaw with? Thats some High praise your giving the lad here so hopefully your right if we did end up getting him.
Yes. This kid is just 22. He will be bought to replace Shaw eventually but I see ETH doing it gradually. Give him gametime in the first year in the easier games/EL etc. Be a starter from 2023.
I am always impressed by him, has the most stamina of any Eredivisie player. Van Gaal loves him as well and he will be the future of the Dutch NT leftback position.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From what I've read about the player (on the Caf and elsewhere), he's technically good with high stamina levels and plays the game with a real intensity for 90 minutes. His crossing needs work but as a tucked in fullback he has potential and is defensively already sound. And at 22 years of age, he seems to be someone that has room for further improvement in the coming years.

And this is the type of profile that we do need to take a chance on from time to time, which represents potential value in the mid to long-term. I don't think we need to worry about crossing with him, but rather about how he combines/links play with his team mates going forward. And if he can combine well with team mates as well as provide a high level of intensity for 90 minutes, then we've signed a potentially very good LB who can progress play occupying the half spaces, but also provides recovery pace and a intensity that is absent amongst our current fullbacks.

Below tweet is from over a week ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.