U18s: Chelsea vs United | Champions of England! | Treble winners!

lysglimt

Scout
What about kicking City off their perch? Winning the League Cup Final? Come on, even Fergie and his best teams had some shock results in a cup competition.
For 95% of the season they have performed brilliantly - but that specific game worries me yes. As for Fergie and shock results ? It's impossible to compare the relative strength of youth teams the same way you can compare first-team clubs, but I think you would struggle to find a game where a Ferguson-team lost to an opponent relatively so much weaker than what we did that night in Swindon. The only game I can think of is Leeds at home in the FA Cup - maybe that was at that level. But that was still a B-side playing without Carrick, Nani, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher and Valencia to name some missing.

But hopefully that game was the kick in the face the players needed - because on that night, they were weak

Sgreddevil

I think as a reward to their effort, we should field majority of the key u18 players in the last home match. They deserve that and honestly we have nothing else to fight for. Results won't matter.
Brighton away may be too much for them and they should play at home and get the applause from the supporters for bringing small glory to the name after being tarnished heavily this season by the men's first team.

KjaAnd

I think as a reward to their effort, we should field majority of the key u18 players in the last home match. They deserve that and honestly we have nothing else to fight for. Results won't matter.
Brighton away may be too much for them and they should play at home and get the applause from the supporters for bringing small glory to the name after being tarnished heavily this season by the men's first team.
I know that won’t happen but I would love to see it as well. They are the only players at the club who deserves it and it would give them a big boost in morale.

stealthy

What about kicking City off their perch? Winning the League Cup Final? Come on, even Fergie and his best teams had some shock results in a cup competition.
Was pondering what you would rather win and I think the FAYC still carries all the prestige, if they hadn’t won that we would 100% have bragging rights. Knowing what big Sid would have said I checked their teams against us to FAYC final lineup and tit was vastly different.

should be a U18 super cup to settle it?

get Wilcox on the phone to his mates to organise a best v best at OT.

Sgreddevil

I know that won’t happen but I would love to see it as well. They are the only players at the club who deserves it and it would give them a big boost in morale.
Yes. It will be a morale booster and more importantly send out a message to the rest of the team that only those who put in 100% for the badge deserves to play for the team.
Unfortunately we won't likely to see that given ETH's job is hanging on thread and he will want squeeze every bit to prove himself (not that it may even matter at this point)

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Was pondering what you would rather win and I think the FAYC still carries all the prestige, if they hadn’t won that we would 100% have bragging rights. Knowing what big Sid would have said I checked their teams against us to FAYC final lineup and tit was vastly different.

Us winning the treble is far more bragging right-ish rather than FAYC.

In this tough times, praying for bigsid too.

stealthy

Us winning the treble is far more bragging right-ish rather than FAYC.

In this tough times, praying for bigsid too.
Ah ah I think Sid will be pretty happy tbh.

Great acheivement winning the league, but let’s be honest here no one talks about previous u18 league winners, but everyone talks about the class of 92,2012, 2022 because they won the FAYC. That’s the big one where teams put out their best available and why 62k turned up at OT

I think next year we will have a real shout in FAYC as so many of this years u18 will still be available. That’s exactly how they won it this year, with many of last years u18.

Class of 2025 in waiting

whitbyviking

Seems like quite a few in and around the edges of the first team squad and a couple more could make it.

The other slightly more mercenary upside is that if those who don't make it to the first team squad progress too then we should get some reasonable fees for some of them, as Chelsea and City have been doing recently, which will improve our FFP situation.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Caught a little of the game. Was pleasing to see the boys being so aggressive and proactive at winning the ball back.

Congrats to the team! Hope this kind of style of play is implemented at all levels of the club.

Gungerz

It wasn't a vastly different lineup though. 7 of City's players who started the PL Cup final against us also started the FAYC final. It would've been 8 but Dada-Mascoll, one of their best players, was injured for the Youth Cup game.

Bertie Wooster

Is it compulsory to have at least one on here trying to downplay our U18's brilliant season? In the absence of Bigsid, someone else taking over to make a poor attempt to undermine it.

We won three trophies, pipping City to most of them. As Gungerz says, City put out a strong team in that PL Cup Final that we won - and actually it was us who had to take off 3 of our key players at HT, for benchwarming duty in the first team, and still managed to win!

It's been a great effort. And, combined with our Youth Cup win in 2022, means we've won all of them in the last couple of years. And we seem to be winning trophies / reaching finals at many different levels. Really highlights how all the hard work has got our youth levels in a good place - even if our first team remains an awful mess for now.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Lawrence:
"[I'm] very proud [of the development of the team]. If you look at this season as a whole, it genuinely has been an amazing experience for everybody involved. So whether you're a coach, a member of the staff, all the support team around the squad, all the players - it's been one of them memorable years. So a big credit for everybody and a big "well done".

"That [being involved with the first team] is essentially what the lads and the players are aspiring to. So when we play in these type of games and you come to Stamford Bridge to experience that type of game, whether you win, lose or draw, what you want the players to do is to get a feel and a flavour for it. They should be wanting more, they should be playing firstly in these type of games and at these type of arenas. The more experiences we can give them of these high level games, the better off our players are going to be for it. They should definitely be coming away from this wanting more.

"I thought we started the game really well and deservedly went ahead. I thought Chelsea from probably minute 20 to half-time were the better team. They had some territory and looked like they were on the cusp of scoring. We said to the players that there's going to be periods in the game where you're going to have to suffer and you're going to have to stick together and I thought we did that in that period of the first half.

"I thought that the first couple of minutes were actually okay in the second half, but then the sucker punch comes and the lad scores the header at the back post. Quite easily when that happens, when you've conceded a goal so soon in the second half, it's easy for your tails to go down and then to find it difficult again. But I thought the players responded really well and we slowly clawed our way back in to the game.

"I thought at the end we had some very, very good chances to kill the game off and the third goal should've happened, which would've made my heart a lot better as well. It obviously didn't happen and then probably similar to the City game where you're in those last stages of the game you've got to understand what it takes to get yourself over the line. So again, it's pretty special that the lads have been able to achieve that. It can't be an accident, can it?

"It's an amazing achievement by the players. Working with them every day on the pitch - myself, Colin [Little], Wolfie [gk coach Kevin Wolfe], the analysis team and all the support staff around it, obviously Phil Jones has been with us as well - it's just been a genuine pleasure. Obviously it's very challenging working with young players and there's a lot going on in their lives and in their football careers that you've got to try and help them with. But they've just been genuinely a joy to work with.

"I think what's been really nice it has genuinely been a group effort. Lots of players, all playing their part. Different types of games throughout the season. Coming in and out of the squad in these games. So I think it's even more satisfying because everybody's been involved and the team has achieved it, so it's been really nice."

stealthy

Top season, great achievement, you have to admit though super cup with best v best would be interesting watch and probably a great test for both sides.

blackgoku

I can’t wait for our performance at the next UEFA Youth League. Maybe some good prospects like Amass, Williams, Wheatley, Lacey or McAllister will be permanently promoted to the U21 team, but they are still eligible for this tournament I guess. We haven't gone far in european football.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
A shame there is no ceremony for the women's team and these lads.
They definitely should’ve arranged the End of Season Awards for them. Let the men’s team keep a low profile and celebrate the ones who have deserved it.

KM

Top season, great achievement, you have to admit though super cup with best v best would be interesting watch and probably a great test for both sides.
Dude just shut the feck up.

The best two youth sides in England played yesterday. Nobody gives a feck if you for some reason rate FAYC higher than a domestic treble.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
For 95% of the season they have performed brilliantly - but that specific game worries me yes. As for Fergie and shock results ? It's impossible to compare the relative strength of youth teams the same way you can compare first-team clubs, but I think you would struggle to find a game where a Ferguson-team lost to an opponent relatively so much weaker than what we did that night in Swindon. The only game I can think of is Leeds at home in the FA Cup - maybe that was at that level. But that was still a B-side playing without Carrick, Nani, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher and Valencia to name some missing.

But hopefully that game was the kick in the face the players needed - because on that night, they were weak
That's what happens when you are dealing with young players...they can be inconsistent. We had an off night against Swindon Town and paid the price in getting knocked out. You also need to give Swindon some credit as they made decent progress in the FA Youth Cup.

We have had plenty of upsets in the FA Youth Cup over the years, and that's football. Watford, Mansfield, Brentford, Bradford, Barnsley, Carlisle all come to mind.

I'm not concerned or worried about losing that game given the context of winning the league, the play-off and the PL Cup against much stronger competition.

Borninthe80ts

An excellent effort from the whole squad and the management team. Everyone contributed either with goals, assists or even just determined performances.

There were times in the league games where we struggled in certain games and had to dig deep to get wins. Those are the games which will benefit them and have led to the success. Shows strength of character.

Also to see the development of individuals over the season has been pleasing to see, especially from those under the radar at times. It’ll be exciting to see the integration of next years intake and if we can build on this in European competition. Wonderful experiences hopefully for this generation.

top1whoisman

Scout
An excellent effort from the whole squad and the management team. Everyone contributed either with goals, assists or even just determined performances.

There were times in the league games where we struggled in certain games and had to dig deep to get wins. Those are the games which will benefit them and have led to the success. Shows strength of character.

Also to see the development of individuals over the season has been pleasing to see, especially from those under the radar at times. It’ll be exciting to see the integration of next years intake and if we can build on this in European competition. Wonderful experiences hopefully for this generation.
Couldn’t agree more. Those are the ones you look back to.

top1whoisman

Scout
Character is the quality I’m looking for in those that may be next up and or have impressed me most. Create a culture.
Absolutely. That’s also what usually is the decisive factor in becoming a United player or a professional footballer in general.

pascell

Just got brought out at OT, at HT whilst the majority are on the concourse lining the Glazers pocket. Should have been before KO, they deserved more than what they got

stealthy

And here’s me thinking a forum is a place for balanced debate, no worries I’ll take my ball home

stealthy

Dude just shut the feck up.

The best two youth sides in England played yesterday. Nobody gives a feck if you for some reason rate FAYC higher than a domestic treble.
and here’s me thinking a forum is a place for balanced debate, what a nob

KM

and here’s me thinking a forum is a place for balanced debate, what a nob
I'm not the one trying to undermine this team's achievements by lying that City played a vastly different lineup in the FAYC Final and their match against us though and also for implying that CIty are somehow the best youth team in the country when this season they are not.

khoazany

Everyone plays their strongest possible line-ups in the matches that matter the most, subjected to injuries, international/senior team commitment and rotation between players that are close to each other on levels considering you usually have 20-25+ players that are eligible without counting the schoolboys. Whether it's us, City, Chelsea, Arsenal or others, it's the same.

We have been without Lacey and Fritzegald, who are among our best players, for the whole second half of this campaign. Plus players like Missin, Munro, Mantato, Ibragimov etc have been in and out for different reason (I don't even count Moorhouse). Same things happened with other clubs as well. Implying City has been playing a weaker side by any mean is just pure lie. The only time someone has pulled a weaker side among us and them are during our 1-4 lost when we already secured the title.

There's some weird worshipping of FA Youth Cup on here just because our best generation of youth graduates won it. It doesn't have a magical power to ship out a generational group if you win it or not if you don't win it, it's just a cup. There's a massive difference between "approaching the competition with the mindset to win it" and "if you don't win it you are crap and weak".

In Rainbows

I thought it was pretty clear United had more younger players for most of the season apart from like Williams, and now Wheatley coming back to the u18s for the big matches. And that's with Lacey being out for most of the season, and now Fitzgerald being out for the 2nd half holding back the number of minutes to younger talents compared to City. I went through the list a while ago and that was the case. And as Khoazany stated, that's also with Ibragimov being injured, so it didn't allow him to add to that number from natural progression to the u18 side.

stealthy

I did not intend to undermine this achievement those lads should be very proud to have won and with only 2 defeats all season is very impressive.

oh and I’m not big Sid don’t think I ever met the fella in all my years in football. Not that I’m aware of anyway.

I’ve said enough clearly, so long