U18s: Manchester United vs. Middlesbrough

George Beast

Buffonge makes it 5-1 with another really good goal. Very impressive display from United.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our U18 team is looking incredible. Fair fecks to Nicky Butt for this.

DeOddi

Safe to say that this team will be a bit more entertaining and score quite a few more goals compared to last season.

DeOddi

The team is like Amir Khan with sensational offensive qualities but fragile defensive qualities. That mix always makes for exciting stuff.
When Warren comes back from injury and Williams down from the U21 for the FA Youth Cup even the defense looks super good.

dichinero

Where do the likes of Gribbin, Chong, Burkart and Bohui fit into this team?

KM

I doubt Butt has much to do with this performance. Mckenna is the one you should be praising.
He's the one who's been bringing the changes in academy after been given command over it 6 months ago.

bdecuc

The no 4 was definitely O'Conner? He was very good. Gomes is some player and really influencing the game these days. Buffonge and Boonen have really improved. Like the look of Tanner too. Fair play to Kanu he did well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I doubt Butt has much to do with this performance. Mckenna is the one you should be praising.
I think if Nicky was instumental in getting McKenna to come here and if he has been involved in getting some of these kids to the club, then he deserves a lot of praise.

Prodigal7

Without trying to be disrespectful to our former coaches, I think Mckenna has shown he is levels above them and this kind of appointment should have been made a long time ago.

This is the best I've seen our U18s since the Pogba/Morrison group and probably the best team performance I can remember seeing. The craft and organisation going forwards was so so much better.

Nicklas

Some exciting talent in this team with Gomes being the one that stands out. Good start for the new coach as well.

DeOddi

Will be very interesting to see O'Connor at right back, his natural position, when he can put on very good performances like that even at centre-back.

Prodigal7

I think if Nicky was instumental in getting McKenna to come here and if he has been involved in getting some of these kids to the club, then he deserves a lot of praise.
True, but I'd reserve most of the praise for the guy actually doing the job. Nicky can take some credit for a good appointment, but Mckenna is the one making it happen.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
FFS i thought there is no game today because of international break :o:o:o

Leonard17

True, but I'd reserve most of the praise for the guy actually doing the job. Nicky can take some credit for a good appointment, but Mckenna is the one making it happen.
Butt is the one bringing the players into the club, making the changes that need to be made, like changing McGuiness. He identified McKenna and also brought him into the fold. I think he should get credit. Its still early either way, but the signs are promising.

Prodigal7

He has been here only for a week now, I'm not sure how much impact he made.
Did you see the game? We've chipped and changed managers a few times over the recent years, but we've never looked as slick and organized as that since I can remember. Definitely not a coincidence.

KM

Butt is the one bringing the players into the club, making the changes that need to be made, like changing McGuiness. He identified McKenna and also brought him into the fold. I think he should get credit. Its still early either way, but the signs are promising.
That's what I wanted to say. Deserves huge credit in booting out the old guard and bringing in new blood. The likes of Andy Mitten criticised the club heavily when they sacked McGuinness.

Leonard17

Did you see the game? We've chipped and changed managers a few times over the recent years, but we've never looked as slick and organized as that since I can remember. Definitely not a coincidence.
I'm sorry, we haven't chipped and changed, we had one manager for years upon years, then had an interim and now permanent in the space of 6months. We went on a decent run at the tail end of last season, we beat Everton 5-1 last weekend. Don't think that's all down to McKenna. It's a very good start, but it's still early.

khoazany

Where do the likes of Gribbin, Chong, Burkart and Bohui fit into this team?
Promote a few to the U23s.I would say we should play Gomes,Boonen and Buffonge together whatever the lineup is.They look entertaining together last season too especially that 7-1 win over Newcastle.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Mckenna's been here a week. We beat Everton away 5-1 last weekend. Butt and Tommy Martin, amongst others, deserve the credit.

Prodigal7

Not saying he shouldn't get any credit, I just feel if we are going to praise someone after that performance it should be McKenna, as the teams coach. I love and respect what Butt has done for the club over the years and hope he will do a good job. He's started off really well by apponting McKenna IMO but as the director of the academy, I would measure his success on the number and quality of players we bring through to the first, that's his remit. He won't be involved in any coaching.

If you were at work and a department manager hired someone who closed a massive business deal, would you praise the manager or the guy that actually got the deal done?

dichinero

Promote a few to the U23s.I would say we should play Gomes,Boonen and Buffonge together whatever the lineup is.They look entertaining together last season too especially that 7-1 win over Newcastle.
That would make sense to promote/fast track the more physically matured striker and winger of that lot given the lack in the U23's. Bohui, Gribbin and Chong perhaps?

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Boonen has done some fantastic work on the wing. Would love to see him cameo for the first team some point in a dead fixture because hes just got it.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Quite a strong group. Would be a shame to break them up. Possibly a good number could move up together.

The boy Kanu could be a useful pickup.

jb8521

Not saying he shouldn't get any credit, I just feel if we are going to praise someone after that performance it should be McKenna, as the teams coach. I love and respect what Butt has done for the club over the years and hope he will do a good job. He's started off really well by apponting McKenna IMO but as the director of the academy, I would measure his success on the number and quality of players we bring through to the first, that's his remit. He won't be involved in any coaching.

If you were at work and a department manager hired someone who closed a massive business deal, would you praise the manager or the guy that actually got the deal done?
Butt actually does get involved in the coaching side as well.