U18s: Manchester United vs. Middlesbrough

Leonard17

What would suggest I'm angry. The media have not covered our academy a lot from what I've seen. Make no mistake, Chelsea and City are ahead of us in the lower age groups and the margin is considerable. Hopefully this is the start of that being corrected.
The media hasn't covered our academy? It's either you missed the whole of last season or you're just saying whatever to fit your agenda. How would you know how big the margin is? Where did you get your info?

In Rainbows

The media hasn't covered our academy? It's either you missed the whole of last season or you're just saying whatever to fit your agenda. How would you know how big the margin is? Where did you get your info?
The media coverage regarding our academy was really small. Something like they lost by this big margin, United are in trouble. They don't really cover it in detail.

datura

To get back on track, I thought Hamilton had a very good game and O'Connor. Hamilton isn't the flashiest but his hard work and passing gave the more talented offensive players the platform to perform.

Prodigal7

I'll ignore the Chelseagraph as they always write shite about United but the DM article was good. You can see in numbers the difference in levels of investment at grass roots level. That's what the difference comes down too and it translates into facilities recruitment and coaches lower down the age groups.

jb8521

To get back on track, I thought Hamilton had a very good game and O'Connor. Hamilton isn't the flashiest but his hard work and passing gave the more talented offensive players the platform to perform.
I agree Hamilton offers a good physical presence in there as well which the rest of our midfielders lack to a degree,much prefer to see him there rather than lb where he can get caught out a bit by pace. He seems to be highly rated by the coaches as well since he got a pro deal at 17. O'Connor looks like the type of young player who you could put in any position on the pitch and he'd excel, so far I've seen him play rb, cb, lb, rm and cm and he's been among the best players on the pitch no matter where he's been played.

khoazany

Hamilton and Whelan are both decent players.Sound passers and has composure on the ball but they are not difference makers.I don't get what's the complain about them.Throughout the years we have had the likes of Ekangamene,Rudge,Weir,Willock,Redmond... who were not any better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree Hamilton offers a good physical presence in there as well which the rest of our midfielders lack to a degree,much prefer to see him there rather than lb where he can get caught out a bit by pace. He seems to be highly rated by the coaches as well since he got a pro deal at 17. O'Connor looks like the type of young player who you could put in any position on the pitch and he'd excel, so far I've seen him play rb, cb, lb, rm and cm and he's been among the best players on the pitch no matter where he's been played.
Is he the Irish lad who joined us over the summer?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Excellent. Sounds quality. Been too long since we've had young Irish talent to get excited about.
I think there are two or more excellent Irish talents in our younger teams.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Good stuff. Is this U16s and younger? So O'Connor would be the oldest Irish player on our books? I'm struggling to think of any in the U23s?
Yes, I meant U16's and younger.

Prodigal7

AKA. The BG's ;)
I'd love to see:

-----------------Sebataou-- ----------
O'Connor---Williams--Dunne---Kenyon
------------Gomes---Hamilton----------
Buffonge---------Gribbin---------Boonen
---------------Chong/Burkhart------------

Dearnley could play on either wing it up front too if we are looking to be a bit more direct.

WhoDaGOAT

Excellent. Sounds quality. Been too long since we've had young Irish talent to get excited about.
Sam Byrne was quite impressive with us, and then he was randomly released in May 2014. He's at Everton now.

His record at all Irish youth levels is very good. Hopefully he can move on from Everton soon and get back on track. He's 21 now.

City have two good prospects in Jack Byrne (who impressed on loan in Holland last season) and Ian Lawlor. Two young Dubs.

Christoper Forrester (23 and captain of Peterborough) only made the move to England last summer and is captain already.

These are the type of lads that O'Neill should be calling up for friendlies and looking to integrate into the squad, as the likes of Walters, Murphy, Whelan and even Wes won't be around by the time of the next World Cup. We need to phase them out over the next 12 months.

Gerald G

I don't think we should see Gribbin or Williams back with the U18s. It doesn't do much for them and it's better for them to be in the U23s, playing at a higher level and where they're needed. Dearnley should go with the U23s too, we have enough attacking talent in the U18s and they need enough games.

Redo91

Sam Byrne was quite impressive with us, and then he was randomly released in May 2014. He's at Everton now.

His record at all Irish youth levels is very good. Hopefully he can move on from Everton soon and get back on track. He's 21 now.

City have two good prospects in Jack Byrne (who impressed on loan in Holland last season) and Ian Lawlor. Two young Dubs.

Christoper Forrester (23 and captain of Peterborough) only made the move to England last summer and is captain already.

These are the type of lads that O'Neill should be calling up for friendlies and looking to integrate into the squad, as the likes of Walters, Murphy, Whelan and even Wes won't be around by the time of the next World Cup. We need to phase them out over the next 12 months.
Jesus he's captain already?! I saw him playing for Pats once and he really impressed me. Shame he didn't get a call up for the Oman game at least.

WhoDaGOAT

Jesus he's captain already?! I saw him playing for Pats once and he really impressed me. Shame he didn't get a call up for the Oman game at least.
Yeah, he had an excellent debut season by all accounts and was rewarded with a new contract to go with the captaincy.

jb8521

There's a huge amount of talent coming through in the younger age groups as well, Tyreke Wilson a 16 year old left back at City, Sean Brennan a 15 year old midfielder who has moved over to Southampton a year early, Glen McCauley who signed for Liverpool and Troy Parrott a striker for the Ireland u15s who has already had offers to join all the big clubs in England, Thomas O'Connor at Southampton, Conor Masterson doing really well at Liverpool too. United are also signing an excellent young striker from Ireland but I don't want to put his name on here because I'm not sure if the deal is completed yet.

WhoDaGOAT

There's a huge amount of talent coming through in the younger age groups as well, Tyreke Wilson a 16 year old left back at City, Sean Brennan a 15 year old midfielder who has moved over to Southampton a year early, Glen McCauley who signed for Liverpool and Troy Parrott a striker for the Ireland u15s who has already had offers to join all the big clubs in England, Thomas O'Connor at Southampton, Conor Masterson doing really well at Liverpool too. United are also signing an excellent young striker from Ireland but I don't want to put his name on here because I'm not sure if the deal is completed yet.
I saw Masterson vs our lot a few weeks ago. They spoke highly of him on TV.

That's encouraging to hear. We need as many Premier League success stories as possible. Brady needs a move in January.

jb8521

I saw Masterson vs our lot a few weeks ago. They spoke highly of him on TV.

That's encouraging to hear. We need as many Premier League success stories as possible. Brady needs a move in January.
Yeah I was surprised Brady didn't get his move after the Euros