U18s: United vs. Newcastle

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Players like Love, Rowley, Weir and Grimshaw amongst others have have improved so much over the last year and its great to see. They go under the radar a bit I suppose but are all becoming quality players and great prospects in their own right.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
When people say Daehli 'needs to bulk up' what you'd hope they mean is 'patiently wait for 17 year old to grow'.

Stojan Stamenic

So much focus on bulking up. Nobody complaining about Messi (Not comparing the two ability wise, obviously). We're not Stoke, we're Manchester United, and if a player is good enough, we will find a place for him no matter his size.
Fair argument. I hope we will see him on right side also.

I think he's really fast, but he just needs more muscles to run on players with more ease.

Brightonian

Fair argument. I hope we will see him on right side also.

I think he's really fast, but he just needs more muscles to run on players with more ease.
Not sure I agree. I don't know what you mean by 'run on players' but everything he's doing at this level he's doing 'with ease'. He certainly isn't being held back in any way by his physique. He may not be tall or broad but he's stocky and wiry enough, never seems to lack the strength to hold a man off.

Personally, if I never see the phrase 'bulk up' again I'll be happy. It's been a long time since I've seen a player in the premier league suffer because they're not strong enough. Hell, Oscar looks like you could blow him over with a puff of air but he's doing well enough isn't he.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
So much focus on bulking up. Nobody complaining about Messi (Not comparing the two ability wise, obviously). We're not Stoke, we're Manchester United, and if a player is good enough, we will find a place for him no matter his size.
To be fair, Warren Joyce highlighted Mats' need to improve his strength not long ago. But that will come.

mo0

huge difference imo between 'bulking up' and 'improving strength'. latter is so much more applicable in modern football.

Brightonian

huge difference imo between 'bulking up' and 'improving strength'. latter is so much more applicable in modern football.
Yes but Daehli doesn't seem to need either. He's plenty strong enough. People just say it about everyone now, apparently without any reference to the evidence on the pitch.

Brightonian

Not sure about that. I mean, they're a ridiculously talented set of players, and I think a lot of them will make the step up. Januzaj and Barmby have essentially already done so, and there'll be more on the way soon.

But it's harsh to pick out Pearson and Pereira but not Daehli. He was certainly equally good, and possibly more influential that Pereira. Pearson is absolutely vital to this side, but I think his small size and also his tendency to fly into rash tackles sometimes when it's not necessary might keep him at this level for a little longer. There were plenty of those yesterday, and he'd be unlikely to get away with so many of them at U21 level.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I just think Pearson is ready to play against bigger players because if his tenacity coupled with his quality. I don't think Daehli did much of note yesterday, which sounds crazy because he got 2 assist. I think it was a bit of a steady performance from him. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights last year when he got given a chance in the reserves, they need to make sure he makes the step up when he's ready. He's not like Ravel Morrison where he just seemed to take it all in his stride, he's going to take time.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yes but Daehli doesn't seem to need either. He's plenty strong enough. People just say it about everyone now, apparently without any reference to the evidence on the pitch.
For the u18s, yes, but we don't know too much about how he handles himself when he's up against bigger lads. Warren Joyce does and lately he's twice stated Mats' need to get stronger, but also that it'll come naturally with time.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I just think Pearson is ready to play against bigger players because if his tenacity coupled with his quality. I don't think Daehli did much of note yesterday, which sounds crazy because he got 2 assist. I think it was a bit of a steady performance from him. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights last year when he got given a chance in the reserves, they need to make sure he makes the step up when he's ready. He's not like Ravel Morrison where he just seemed to take it all in his stride, he's going to take time.
:lol:

You can't be serious.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Daehli was quality. Very close between him and Pereira for man of the match, but I'd have given it to Daehli.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Which of his moments in particular were quality? He seemed to dribble around a bit then turn around and roll the ball back to someone else. He wasn't really that penetrative with his running today. He's not really a overly creative passer anyway, but today he just seemed more content to keep possession I felt.