U21s: Liverpool vs. United

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lawrence, Weir and Harrop and Joel Perreira have done fairly creditably, disappointed in everyone else.

FromTheBench

I was impressed most by Andreas Pereira today tbh. Didn't do anything special but had some good touches and close control and switched play playing as a striker pretty well which he is not.

Liverpool were better 2nd half and probably edged it overall but fair result tbh considering the chances we had first half.

Really lacked a striker again. With Wilson would have been a completely different game.

Ivor Ballokov

I thought that was a thoroughly entertaining match played between too decent teams looking to play football.

Don't think there could have been too many complaints if Liverpool had nicked it but we were hampered by having no natural striker. McLaughlin, Ojo and Wilson looked good for them.

Brightonian

As is often the case these days, I thought we probably had the better individual players but didn't play an overall better game because we didn't have a striker. All these gifted creative players like Harrop, Pereira and Lawrence are only properly effective with a striker ahead of them. With Wilson, we would have won this comfortably. As it is, 1-1 is a fair result.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nah we lacked both width and control of the midfield. Thought Lawrence acquitted himself well despite long periods of little support. Obviously having a top class striker like Wilson wouldn't have hurt though.

Dan_F

Yeah the lack of a striker is so obvious, also the wing backs needed to get up the pitch quicker.

FromTheBench

Nah we lacked both width and control of the midfield. Thought Lawrence acquitted himself well despite long periods of little support. Obviously having a top class striker like Wilson wouldn't have hurt though.
Lawrence wanted to roam and barely held up a play or provided a outlet. Most of the time it ended up being Pereira chasing the ball and competing with their 2 CB's.

Lawrence really isn't a lead the line striker. He is best from the left or just behind a striker. Same with Pereira.

Missed Varela on the left. Evans was solid defensive. Weir better attacking wise but neither offered a complete package. Weir was totally at sea defensively.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Being harsh, I'm not sure there are any future first team regulars there. Rothwell has looked a prospect to me in the past, today not the best example. And I've always liked Thorpe but not much sign that he's progressing.

Brightonian

Not really. It's just that not playing a proper striker pulls everyone out of shape and makes it difficult for them to do their jobs properly. This set of players consistently rips opposition apart when Wilson plays, but he's a key piece of the puzzle. You can't just swap him for someone playing out of position and expect everyone else to be as good as ever.

Not that it was anyone's fault. We didn't have a striker available. Hopefully the apparently imminent signing of Obi suggests that they're aware of the striker deficit we have in several age groups and are looking to do something about it finally.

In Rainbows

I don't rate him at all.
Can't blame him. He's a rb who isn't that great going forward. I feel like he should strictly play as a rb to see the best from him. It's a bit obvious that he's getting by on his physical superiority in attack. We all know he sees himself as a rb too.

Thought Pereira was the best of the bunch. Wasn't exactly a star performance, but better than the rest and could have had two assists.

khoazany

Being harsh, I'm not sure there are any future first team regulars there. Rothwell has looked a prospect to me in the past, today not the best example. And I've always liked Thorpe but not much sign that he's progressing.
People always said that after a bad match.Why don't just accept we didn't play well and moving on?

FromTheBench

Janko was poor today I think.Really clueless in attack.
Was poor in defense as well tbh vs Ojo.

And i know Joel Pereira made a error for their goal, but he looks commanding more and more. I think he is a very good prospect.

charleysurf

People always said that after a bad match.Why don't just accept we didn't play well and moving on?
This is hardly the first time I've watched these players. Just my opinion, others are available.

khoazany

This is hardly the first time I've watched these players. Just my opinion, others are available.
I'm not saying that my point is people's judgement too often being influenced by the most recent events that they witnessed.Last time when we thrashed some teams 3-0 4-0 somebody here said they're sure at least 4-5 of them will end up in the first team.

At the end of the day it's your opinion so let's just agree to disagree.

FromTheBench

There Were no certainties out there today.

But 4/5 with a shot i'd say. First team regular these days applies to very few players anyway.

Ekeke

Saw large chunks of the game but had to keep going in and out, so can anyone let me know where Vermijl was playing tonight? He seemed to pop up in a bunch of places

FromTheBench

Saw large chunks of the game but had to keep going in and out, so can anyone let me know where Vermijl was playing tonight? He seemed to pop up in a bunch of places
Left of the back 3 and then switched to the right for a while too.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The one time we our left wing-back wing-backed and our striker got in the box, we scored. They were the better balanced side - and bringing on fresh legs towards the end certainly didn't hurt them - but player-for-player I still fancy us. Harrop and A. Pereira were marvelous.

FromTheBench

Good performance from us. Rossiter, Ojo and McLaughlin were all really good
Rossiter gave the ball away in dangerous positions few times and got caught out positionally as well in that role. He was neat but Okay today.

Ojo, Peterson were good.

Johan77

Warren Joyce confirmed James Wilson is with the first team after the Under-21s' draw with Liverpool. #mufc

charleysurf

There Were no certainties out there today.

But 4/5 with a shot i'd say. First team regular these days applies to very few players anyway.
I'm not seeing anyone there today with a good shot at it. But I'd love to be proven wrong. I certainly didn't see Blackett breaking through like he has.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I thought that was a thoroughly entertaining match played between too decent teams looking to play football.

Don't think there could have been too many complaints if Liverpool had nicked it but we were hampered by having no natural striker. McLaughlin, Ojo and Wilson looked good for them.
Lawrence is a natural striker.

Brightonian

I'm not seeing anyone there today with a good shot at it.
They put in a mediocre performance because they were playing without a striker. If the first team played 3-7-0, which is how it looked for big chunks of the match tonight, no-one would be drawing conclusions about the quality of individual players from it. (In fact, if the first team played without a forward away at Liverpool and emerged with a 1-1 draw, I reckon most people would be pretty impressed.)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What would people think of a striker signing for the U21 side? Something like Veseli a couple years back where they really don't have a future with the first team but to help the U21s with the lack of a striker. I know it means they'd be taking up playing time from someone with more potential but as some of you have said above it affect the game so much. Too often we control possession in matches and play great football in the middle of the park but then when the likes of Andreas, Rothwell, Harrop etc. get up they have no one to pass to. Andreas picks the ball up from 30 yards out and when he should be looking for a ball through he looks up to find he is the furthest man forward. It is disrupting our play and consequently could be disrupting our players development not playing in a 'proper' system.

Devil may care

The goal we scored was a fantastic piece of play from Weir and Lawrence did well to get in the classic 9 position to tuck it away as it's clearly not his favoured position. Interesting to see the idea of Pereira playing as a deeper CM, I think that might end up being the case.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He was a Support striker and now more a wide forward. He has never been proper #9 really even though he has played there.
he looked great as a lead striker when he was promoted to the U21s the season before last, when we won the Cup. without him, who was our only striker, we never win it, i thought he was great. for my money he's much better as a striker than out wide.