U21s : Manchester United vs Liverpool

FromTheBench

Mcnair did quite well today as well. Not sure why people bunch him with Blackett.

That finish was class too. He even did well late on in the holding role.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Total domination in the 2nd half. Liverpool were never able to really get going in this match, though they did have quite a young team out there.

Pereira, Lingard, Janko, McNair, and Thorpe were good for us throughout the match. Pereira, in particular, looked very comfortable and composed in the deeper areas in midfield. Lingard started to tire off in the 2nd half but does look sprightly and sharp. I hope we get to see him more often in the first team. Thorpe looked comfortable throughout the match and showed why he was so highly rated. He really should get some first-team football to further develop his game. Blackett was quite sloppy and careless in his game, and Vermijl doesn't want to play for us anymore and seems like he wants to leave us. Anderson, at least, tried and played his best. I don't know why Vermijl has this sort of an attitude for us at the moment.

Powell started off quietly, but as the match went on, he grew in influence. He's quite good on the ball and is more suited to playing behind the striker in midfield rather than up front. Janko is still quite good on the ball, and he is showing more defensive maturity, which is good to see. He's progressing quite well at the moment.

It was a comfortable, easy win for Man. Utd. We made it quite easy for ourselves and saw the match off the way our first team should more often.

Boycott

Blackett always looks behind the pace. His languid look doesn't help him in fairness.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
It's just weird that Thorpe hasn't gotten a chance of note yet.

I've always thought he's a classy player. Much better than Blackett for example.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Men against boys (literally!). A younger, less experienced side was put out by us. Thought we were good in the first half, but you lot were comfortable in the second. Ojo was completely wasted at wing back. Don't think either side was anything special, but you edged it and it was probably a fair result.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
No.Obviously he's only there if/when we play Thorpe in the holding midfield role.
..in one half and CB in the other.

Lingard was surprisingly sharp tonight given that he usually needs a few games to get up to speed. Bodes well.

khoazany

Men against boys (literally!). A younger, less experienced side was put out by us. Thought we were good in the first half, but you lot were comfortable in the second. Ojo was completely wasted at wing back. Don't think either side was anything special, but you edged it and it was probably a fair result.
Very baffling decision IMO unless you're trying to develop his defensive awareness.

Decotron

We don't need to promote anymore defenders.
We do if Blackett is good enough to be in our squad.

Im sick and tired of saying it about Thorpe. He'll end up leaving and being a great signing for someone else. Such a shame.

Thought we did v well nullifying Ibe. Hes a v good prospect who'll make their first team sooner rather than later.

kundalini

Thorpe was asleep for their goal. Admittedly Vermijl got us in terrible trouble but Thorpe was marking Sinclair when Blackett dealt with the initial long ball then failed to track him, or for that matter, the runner from the midfield. No idea what he was doing positionally when all the threat was on Liverpool's right. Needed to be further across.

Last edited:

khoazany

We do if Blackett is good enough to be in our squad.

Im sick and tired of saying it about Thorpe. He'll end up leaving and being a great signing for someone else. Such a shame.

Thought we did v well nullifying Ibe. Hes a v good prospect who'll make their first team sooner rather than later.
I actually don't rate Ibe that much having watched him a few times.I think he will make it with them but a well-organised defence can easily nullify him.Not sure if it's due to game intelligence or what but Sterling was far better even at a younger age.They have a young squad tonight so I wouldn't judge any of the others.Like what I've seen of Ojo before though.

FromTheBench

Thorpe was asleep for their goal. Admittedly Vermijl got us in terrible trouble but Thorpe was marking Sinclair when Blackett dealt with the initial long ball then failed to track him, or for that matter, the runner from the midfield. No idea what he was doing positionally when all the threat was on Liverpool's right. Needed to be further across.
I am bit confused here. Vermijl gave the ball away and then Sinclair moved to the left in Blackett's area who was very weak and awkward in his defensive attempts.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He didn't fail to track any runner from midfield. When Liverpool won the ball, Blackett was out of position (through little fault of his own, it was a shocking pass from Marnick) and Thorpe was left trying to deal with Sinclair and the runner from deep. Had he left his area to cover Sinclair, Sinclair could easily have played midfield-guy in one-on-one with Valdes. He kept his position as Blackett was on his way over to Sinclair as soon as Liverpool won the ball, and Blackett might have gotten there, too, had he been proactive and sprinted as soon as Liverpool gained possession, rather than reactive by jogging until the pass was played.

Decotron

He didn't fail to track any runner from midfield. When Liverpool won the ball, Blackett was out of position (through little fault of his own, it was a shocking pass from Marnick) and Thorpe was left trying to deal with Sinclair and the runner from deep. Had he left his area to cover Sinclair, Sinclair could easily have played midfield-guy in one-on-one with Valdes. He kept his position as Blackett was on his way over to Sinclair as soon as Liverpool won the ball, and Blackett might have gotten there, too, had he been proactive and sprinted as soon as Liverpool gained possession, rather than reactive by jogging until the pass was played.
Was about to post that same thing. It had nothing to do with Thorpe. Strange analysis.

Blackett could have done more, if he reacted straight away and sprinted back he could have got goal side of the attacker. He nearly got there anyway but the slight delay in reacting caught him out.

Decotron

I actually don't rate Ibe that much having watched him a few times.I think he will make it with them but a well-organised defence can easily nullify him.Not sure if it's due to game intelligence or what but Sterling was far better even at a younger age.They have a young squad tonight so I wouldn't judge any of the others.Like what I've seen of Ojo before though.
I thought he stood out for Derby this season. He isnt as talented as Sterling I agree but he has a physical presence that Sterling never had. I reckon he'll get some games in the first team before the end of the season. Ojo was wasted in that position tonight.