U21s: Manchester United vs Manchester City

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
Crowd Trouble? When have we ever had that at OT.

Plus it's a u21 game for god sake :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wilson looks great, really hope to see him a lot more next season. Januzaj too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just seen the highlights thanks @GifLord

Wilsons goal was fantastic, we really lack a player with that speed and movement up top, I really hope he can translate that to the first team very soon. Great to see him also running the channels and setting up a fellow striker with a great ball.

Kakeru

It was played on Sky Sports 1, was it? I hope I'll find a place to download the match unless someone is kind enough to put up the links.

Anyway, nice win. :devil:

Djemba-Djemba

Just got back from the match.

Sat behind a guy who spent most of the match asking me questions about football but apart from that it was a fun night. Some lovely goals. Missed the opening half an hour as we were locked out, the whole thing seemed to be a bit of a shambles in terms of organisation.

Got a free bottle of water too on the way out. Good stuff.

RB7N

Over on BlueMoon they are seething with irrational rage as usual (calling us rags, the England first team's lack of success is Utd fault etc.).
However, I thought it was interesting that they are all very quick to blame the age difference and the physical difference between the two sides. As far as I could see, there wasn't much of a physical difference, but it made me curious to find out if they were right about the age thing.
When watching the match I also thought there was a significant difference, but after a quick look that's not the case at all. Starting age of the United team was 20,53 while the City team was 20,51. Maybe it's just me, but I always think it's funny how it's never "the other team was simply better" with that lot.

Red Stone

Send Wilson and Januzaj on loan top a good club in one of the top leagues next season, and hopefully they'll come back ready to shine.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Over on BlueMoon they are seething with irrational rage as usual (calling us rags, the England first team's lack of success is Utd fault etc.).
However, I thought it was interesting that they are all very quick to blame the age difference and the physical difference between the two sides. As far as I could see, there wasn't much of a physical difference, but it made me curious to find out if they were right about the age thing.
When watching the match I also thought there was a significant difference, but after a quick look that's not the case at all. Starting age of the United team was 20,53 while the City team was 20,51. Maybe it's just me, but I always think it's funny how it's never "the other team was simply better" with that lot.
Tbf there was a bunch of people on here going on about Chelsea last year being older, more physical and all being foreign when they were actually younger and I think had more English players than we did.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
They are known as 'the bitters' for a reason. City fans are generally very bitter people, especially when it comes to United.

If you don't know any city fans personally and think I'm exagerrating just have a look on bluemoon.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Might have to do with Januzaj and Wilson starting, both had time in the first team, although it makes very little difference as neither are over 21 yet regardless.

Sir A1ex

Tbf there was a bunch of people on here going on about Chelsea last year being older, more physical and all being foreign when they were actually younger and I think had more English players than we did.
They were certainly bigger. I went to that one, and thought there had been some mix-up and we'd put our U18s out!

prarek

Oh wow surprised and impressed at the scoreline. I was under the impression City had much better youths.

thelemon

That was fecking great. I was in Albert square for Fergie's last victory parade and I thought never would I be in a better atmosphere (consider that we were right in the middle of the square for about 3 hours) but that was absolutely mental. We were on the edge of the "crowd trouble", a few people near us did rush forwards a little (the furthest we went was to stand on the chairs and bang on the roof, coz we're 'ard!). I can say that the trouble has been exaggerated.

Sid234

Rothwell's been immense since he's returned from that disaster of a loan at Blackpool..

Devil may care

I didn't know the game was on Sky Sports so I missed the first 15 minutes, but I thought we played well and were intelligently set up by Joyce given the lack of quality we had in midfield as far as trying to play a possession based style requires.

Thorpe marshaled the defense really well and for all their possession we really didn't give City any clear openings. Up top Wilson took his chances clinically with a quality finish that showed his composure and quick thinking, and a superb ball for Fletcher's goal. Januzaj had some good moments and it was nice to see him running at player5s with more confidence, although obviously they were youth players, still a ncie goal though. Willock's strike was class with virtually no backlift.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I was at the game tonight........nearly 17,000 for a U21 game is fantastic!!!

The City fans are so pathetic.....they have started the "trouble" inside and outside of the stadium.

Anyway to win the match was fantastic (To win a derby is always a great feeling) and all of our goals were just beautiful :drool:

Hopefully Chelsea are winning their both games so we can the title in the Academy Stadium.
Anyone has a clue when we are playing our last match against Manchester City (Nothing on manutd.com or premierleague.com)??

khoazany

There is a serious lack of character in their squad.Everyone of their supposedly "best" or "more senior" players went totally hiding in this match and only the 17 years old who I believe starting for their U21s for the first time (Nemane) actually tried to make a difference.

What I'm more impressed about is how tactically naive Viera is.Watching the match after the first 30 min I already knew who's the winner.City is so vulnerable at the back with the way they set up defensively.Won't help their lads to develop tactically (which should be one the main development focus at this age) especially the defenders by playing that way.

The City fans who sprouted those "physical difference" arguments are clueless as feck.I've seen countless of more physically tough matches at this level.If you can't even cope physically against this United side then you're definitely not ready for this level as most of the teams have first teamers playing from times to times to get match fitness (and most of them are not 19/20 years old like Januzaj/Wilson).

Last edited:

khoazany

is there any way to watch a reply of this?
There are replays of the game at 7 am and 11 am (BST) on MUTV.Swim your way to the Cricfree river if you don't have it on your TV.

I was at the game tonight........nearly 17,000 for a U21 game is fantastic!!!

The City fans are so pathetic.....they have started the "trouble" inside and outside of the stadium.

Anyway to win the match was fantastic (To win a derby is always a great feeling) and all of our goals were just beautiful :drool:

Hopefully Chelsea are winning their both games so we can the title in the Academy Stadium.
Anyone has a clue when we are playing our last match against Manchester City (Nothing on manutd.com or premierleague.com)??
Not confirmed yet.I hope Chelsea screwed up 1 of their last 2 matches so that we won't have an excuse of not giving some of our youth players a chance vs Hull because "they have to play for the U21s title". (Chelsea didn't play RLC in the last U21s match despite they desparately need to win it to keep up with us).It would be fantastic feeling for the lads to win it but I personally feel indifferent as we've won it too many times in recent years and not many out of those U21s winning side could step up to the first team.

Last edited: