UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

You see, thats very convenient.
Not that Pep needs an excuse but now they'll flood the midfield, over recycle the ball and end up with 2 shots on target or something stupid.
Its his style of defensive football.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
You see, thats very convenient.
Not that Pep needs an excuse but now they'll flood the midfield, over recycle the ball and end up with 2 shots on target or something stupid.
Its his style of defensive football.
Imagine a manager setting up his team to win a tie over two-legs? Is a 2-1 defeat better than 0-0?

cyberman

@el magico
Im not criticising him here, but it is his style of defensive football.
Saying that, he doesn't have an impressive record away from home in CL. He tends to over manage in these sorts of games.
The only chance they have is if City slow it down, I hope you're not over cautious.

Cezzine

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid oficial lineup for today:

Keylor Navas
Carvajal
Varane
Sergio Ramos
Marcelo
Casemiro
Kroos
Modric
Isco
Cristiano Ronaldo
Benzema

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
@el magico
Saying that, he doesn't have an impressive record away from home in CL. He tends to over manage in these sorts of games.
The only chance they have is if City slow it down, I hope you're not over cautious.
I haven't seen much evidence of it so far (at City) but I think it would be prudent for City to play a more defensive/controlled game initially. Jesus suits this style more than Aguero, however, I would be really disappointed if City don't create chances/score goals. I'm kind of expecting a Liverpool onslaught, inspired by the tannoy playing YAWN. Should City survive this then I would hope to see City gradually dominate. 0-2 or 1-3 hopefully.

Jacko21

@el magico
Agreed. He does on occasion get inside his own head during these ties - its cost him before now.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Bayern starting with Ulreich - Bernat, Boateng, Hummels, Kimmich - Martinez - Vidal, Thiago - Robben, Müller - Lewandowski.

Surprised James is not starting, guess Heynckes wants a more controlled approach.

DonFerguson

I haven't seen much evidence of it so far (at City) but I think it would be prudent for City to play a more defensive/controlled game initially. Jesus suits this style more than Aguero, however, I would be really disappointed if City don't create chances/score goals. I'm kind of expecting a Liverpool onslaught, inspired by the tannoy playing YAWN. Should City survive this then I would hope to see City gradually dominate. 0-2 or 1-3 hopefully.
Liverpool will get one or two of those stretches where they go full-on with the press; if City survive those onslaughts, they'll win the tie.

If you think back to the match at Enfield, besides that 12 minute or so period where Liverpool ravaged City, I think the latter were much better throughout the match.

They won't want to be conceding 3 goals in one of those stretches here. At this level, in the champions league quarters, even a disastrous 15 minute spell could cost them.

But Guardiola is a master tactician. I expect him to slow the match down a bit and go for control. They'll create many chances, but I don't expect a disiplineless end-to-end laden match. The sensible thing to to come out with a controlled appoach and try to get a score draw, to take it back to the Eitihad.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern starting with Ulreich - Bernat, Boateng, Hummels, Kimmich - Martinez - Vidal, Thiago - Robben, Müller - Lewandowski.

Surprised James is not starting, guess Heynckes wants a more controlled approach.
Yeah, strange about James. Maybe he wants to reserve some firepower if we can't score in the first half. Bernat in for Alaba, who is out with back problems.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
I know I am (very) late into the party over the Liverpool vs City QF Draw, however what I will add that if there is ever a period were our lack of strength in depth is more likely to be exposed more than any other time it is the next 4 games (United, Liverpool, Spurs, Liverpool again). A period were I fear we are going to be forced to chose between breaking the points/goals/wins records in the PL and progressing into the SF of the CL, not helped by the injury to Aguero during this time.

So fingers crossed we can win the league against United, get past Liverpool over the 2 legs and avoid losing to Spurs at Wembley...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah that's a very easy choice to make actually. Guardiola will send the U12 to get slaughtered by United and Spurs if it guaranteed City went through in CL

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Now that the appetizers are out of the way here comes the main course. The game all neutrals have been waiting for.

No not Barca v Roma. :rolleyes:

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah that's a very easy choice to make actually. Guardiola will send the U12 to get slaughtered by United and Spurs if it guaranteed City went through in CL
For me there is too much local pride at stake (1) to avoid putting a weakened side, in fact I rather (given the idiotic circumstances) parked the bus (2) against Liverpool in Anfield, went all out against United in the Derby, went all out against Liverpool in the Eithad and then field a weakened side against Spurs.

You can see why I am a stronge adovocate for City to have 2 World Class XI's within our squad....

(1) I respect Manchester United to a higher degree than most City fans, but even I want to see City winning not only the derby, but also the league against United

(2) For the one and only time this season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's you. The club on the other hand won't give a crap about local pride in a league already won with the CL on the line

Theonas

Scout
For me there is too much local pride at stake (1) to avoid putting a weakened side, in fact I rather (given the idiotic circumstances) parked the bus (2) against Liverpool in Anfield, went all out against United in the Derby, went all out against Liverpool in the Eithad and then field a weakened side against Spurs.

You can see why I am a stronge adovocate for City to have 2 World Class XI's within our squad....

(1) I respect Manchester United to a higher degree than most City fans, but even I want to see City winning not only the derby, but also the league against United

(2) For the one and only time this season
I am not sure what you mean by world class but no club in the history of the game had two world class XIs in the sense that they would be interchangeable without losing quality. There are very good reasons for that.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
I am not sure what you mean by world class but no club in the history of the game had two world class XIs in the sense that they would be interchangeable without losing quality. There are very good reasons for that.
Mainly due to the vast financial cost involved in making it possible, hence why its no surprise that the team that has come closest to this goal has been the 2016-2017 Real Madrid side.

Reguardless the fact remains that if you are going to reach the sort of success levels that the El Classico clubs have achieved in the last 10-15 years while playing in a much harder/competitive league (despite City's excellent form this season) and 2 domestic cups (1) is going to end up requiring a team that has both more quality and (especially) strength in depth than the great El Classico sides in resident years (2), hence the need to go down the level of having 2 World Class XI's

(1) Both of contain of teams which are highly motivated to perform giant killing against teams such as yourself and which add to the fixture congestion at times (especially in the business end of the season).

(2) And do so without players such as Ronaldo and Messi.

Retrokicks

Personally, I think Liverpool will tonk City :(

The general consensus is that City will win comfortably, yet that's just playing into Liverpool's hands, as they always play better when written off.

Could see it ending 3-0 with all of the front three on the score sheet.

Theonas

Scout
Mainly due to the vast financial cost involved in making it possible, hence why its no surprise that the team that has come closest to this goal has been the 2016-2017 Real Madrid side.

Reguardless the fact remains that if you are going to reach the sort of success levels that the El Classico clubs have achieved in the last 10-15 years while playing in a much harder/competitive league (despite City's excellent form this season) and 2 domestic cups (1) is going to end up requiring a team that has both more quality and (especially) strength in depth than the great El Classico sides in resident years (2), hence the need to go down the level of having 2 World Class XI's

(1) Both of contain of teams which are highly motivated to perform giant killing against teams such as yourself and which add to the fixture congestion at times (especially in the business end of the season).

(2) And do so without players such as Ronaldo and Messi.
I am not disputing whether it is a good idea to have two world class XIs. I am saying that it's impossible and money is only half of the reason why. The other reason is that world class players simply do not want to be rotated. You look at the big games each season and all the top teams will have 7 or 8 regulars in them. What you are suggesting would lead to a situation where the likes of Silva and De Bruyne having to sit out CL knockout games because their replacement if they're world class too, will most definitely not be happy otherwise.

It is not just about the number of games per se. It is about the psychological need to know you are first choice. Real got world class performances from James and Morata for one season where you could argue they were as good as the first choice players and what happened afterwards? The players were simply not happy and looked to move elsewhere.

As for Real Madrid and Barcelona, with the exception of 2009-2011 which was something else, Ronaldo and Messi have been the main reason those two stood out of the rest. Their careers are ending however and things will be on a more even level after that. Neymar might come close to that level of influence but apart from him, there is no one good enough to be as influential as those two.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
[
I know I am (very) late into the party over the Liverpool vs City QF Draw, however what I will add that if there is ever a period were our lack of strength in depth is more likely to be exposed more than any other time it is the next 4 games (United, Liverpool, Spurs, Liverpool again). A period were I fear we are going to be forced to chose between breaking the points/goals/wins records in the PL and progressing into the SF of the CL, not helped by the injury to Aguero during this time.

So fingers crossed we can win the league against United, get past Liverpool over the 2 legs and avoid losing to Spurs at Wembley...
My heart goes out to you, not knowing which world class player to rest and which one to play!
Our problem at the moment is which youth player to select in order to fill the bench quota for tonight!!
By comparison, what you have is a Champagne Problem !!!:smirk:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

The general consensus is that City will win comfortably, yet that's just playing into Liverpool's hands, as they always play better when written off.

Liverpool will not keep a clean sheet. They almost fecked up after a 4-1 lead against City in the league.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.

Tough times. How you must miss the heady days in the third tier of English football when you took 300000 loyal fans to the away game at Stockport County. ;)

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.

I just cant call it. Theres a part of me that thinks City could could wrap it up tonight. On the otherhand.

My arse is starting to twitch and its only 8.00am.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I just cant call it. Theres a part of me that thinks City could could wrap it up tonight. On the otherhand.

Gonna be a long day, I wonder off every five minutes thinking about tonight.

Even a 3-0 win wouldn't make me confident to go to the Etihad next week though. I think we might nick it at home but they'll definitely score tonight as well.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool

Any semblance of logic will tell you that any team with Lovern at CB, God know who at RB, a midfield full of Henderson, Milner, Wyn or Ox has absolutely no chance against a team of City’s undoubted quality and consistancy. But who wants logic when you can have the pre-match freedom of irrationality and so, blinded by Love, and a football crowd as passionate as they are starved, a belief in a manager and in the impossible takes hold and suddenly you find yourself believing that Lovern can become Bobby Moore and Karius - DDG, and so on until you have yourself in a frenzy and are found wandering, twitching and ranting until some kind men in white coats come and take you away!!
Come on you Reds!! We can do it!!

MUFC OK

Expect Liverpool to steam roll City tonight, 3-1 is my prediction, I have £20 on Liverpool -1.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

I've been shitting myself all week. Just glad the day is finally here.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Gonna be a long day, I wonder off every five minutes thinking about tonight.

Even a 3-0 win wouldn't make me confident to go to the Etihad next week though. I think we might nick it at home but they'll definitely score tonight as well.
Iam self employed and decided to start at 8.00am and work to 2.00pm. The way things are going I'll be heading the offy soon and fecking it all off.

Retrokicks

Liverpool will not keep a clean sheet. They almost fecked up after a 4-1 lead against City in the league.
They've been really solid of late though and I'm not sure about City in the CL, could bottle it.

Klopp's got a very good record in the CL and they always play well in these types of games.

Looks like it's all playing into their hands!

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Liverpool will need a sizeable win tonight if they are going to survive Etihad and qualify. I don't really see it happening. They'll concede for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.