UEFA considering cap on fees that clubs pay to agents

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That would be welcome, those leeches don't deserve those kind of amounts.

They used to take 10% of the fees, now on top of the fees skyrocketing they are taking 20 to 30%. I'm not paying for football to line their pockets.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think the main issue here is not the amount earned, but the completely wrong rules. There is such a thing as conflict of interest. An agent is hired by a player and is responsible for finding him the best possible deal. He should never be paid (and contacted) by the other side of contract (a club), because the club has different target than the player.

It’s as if either a club tries to “bribe” an agent who will act, because of the money, with different aim than just finding the best deal for his client, or an agent forces a club to pay, saying there will be no deal without such payment.
This is a very good point.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's not an ownership because he didn't own Pogba's rights that's a crucial point. Juventus owed them money on a previous move and the date to pay it was the next transfer.
Point is it had nothing to do with agent fees related to our transfer but a prior agreement to get a 40% cut on his future transfer. Seeing as people still confuse it with an agent fee it is easier to think of it as part ownership, even if arranged in such a way it wasn't that.

And it's illegal everywhere.
It's still a regular thing, just dressed under various euphemisms like image rights.

Pass and Move

Perhaps this idea has already been discussed elsewhere, but how about agents fees being capped in relation to appearances?

If an agent was to be paid per appearance during the course of a player's contract then it would encourage talent to be more evenly distributed amongst teams. Top players wouldn't just sit on the bench for PSG or City as agents would encourage players to go to teams where they are likely to be in the starting 11.

Thoughts?

Revan

Assumptionman
This would be a welcome move.
UEFA should act in bringing policies that make it difficult to take money 'away' from football. I will rather see the large chuck of 'the agent fees' paid to selling club or to the player himself rather than some agent taking money away. And some of the recent agent fees cited , its getting ridiculous.
Agent fees in Pogba - 23M ( some reports mention we have to pay agent every year meaking the total of 41M!)
Pogba's wages - 290,000 . So it takes Pogba one and half year to earn the same amount! Thats just ridiculous.
Players will get much more money and the move they want when they have a good agent, instead of doing the negotiations themselves. Can you imagine young players negotiating with experienced CEOs like Levy, Perez and co. They will leave the room with far less money than a super agent like Raiola would.

So nope, I don't see what agents are doing wrong. They do the same thing that they do in every profession.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This would be a welcome move.
UEFA should act in bringing policies that make it difficult to take money 'away' from football. I will rather see the large chuck of 'the agent fees' paid to selling club or to the player himself rather than some agent taking money away. And some of the recent agent fees cited , its getting ridiculous.
Agent fees in Pogba - 23M ( some reports mention we have to pay agent every year meaking the total of 41M!)
Pogba's wages - 290,000 . So it takes Pogba one and half year to earn the same amount! Thats just ridiculous.
It's obvious agent won't get complete money in the Pogba deal. It's a sell on clause and player and agent will have a good share of that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Players will get much more money and the move they want when they have a good agent, instead of doing the negotiations themselves. Can you imagine young players negotiating with experienced CEOs like Levy, Perez and co. They will leave the room with far less money than a super agent like Raiola would.

So nope, I don't see what agents are doing wrong. They do the same thing that they do in every profession.
Zlatan even mentioned in his book how hard it was to deal with clubs without agent.

Swift Football

I dint say players should not have their agents and neither does the thread OP. It's just about limiting the money agents receive , not eliminating the agents altogether.

Even if there were cap on agent fees, I am sure Pogba would have found a agent who would try to get the best move for him for $1M instead of bagging whole $23M!

Swift Football

It's obvious agent won't get complete money in the Pogba deal. It's a sell on clause and player and agent will have a good share of that.
I also felt that $23M was more of share between player and agent. But looks like it's just agents' share. In the books , I believe Raiola would be paying tax on that money and I doubt it's legal to just give share out of it to Pogba, without paying tax on his share.

drdoityourself

Agent fees shouldn't be a part of any transfer. When the agent is pocketing millions of pounds it's obvious the best scenario for him is moving the player as much as possible.
10% of a players' salary would make more sense to me.

Revan

Assumptionman
I dint say players should not have their agents and neither does the thread OP. It's just about limiting the money agents receive , not eliminating the agents altogether.

Even if there were cap on agent fees, I am sure Pogba would have found a agent who would try to get the best move for him for $1M instead of bagging whole $23M!
Why in a sport (business) when there are no caps for anything whatsover (transfer fee, salaries, image rights, signing on fee, TV deals, commercial deals, dividends, loans etc), there should be a cap about agent fees? Why that is just, and why is that legal?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People should stop misrepresenting the Pogba deal. The only reason why Raiola got that amount was because Juventus agreed to that clause when they signed him and was probably one of the bigger reasons why he joined Juve in the first place. It wasn't a case of "game going mad" but smart business by Juve and Raiola.

Oooh_aaah_cantona

People should stop misrepresenting the Pogba deal. The only reason why Raiola got that amount was because Juventus agreed to that clause when they signed him and was probably one of the bigger reasons why he joined Juve in the first place. It wasn't a case of "game going mad" but smart business by Juve and Raiola.
Yup. That is clearly the game plan between Raiola and Pog. Leave Man Utd on a free and sign with a club who would agree on a future transfer fee share with Raiola/ Pog.

Swift Football

Why in a sport (business) when there are no caps for anything whatsover (transfer fee, salaries, image rights, signing on fee, TV deals, commercial deals, dividends, loans etc), there should be a cap about agent fees? Why that is just, and why is that legal?
I do not know why you have this notion that regulating agent fees and regaulating salaries, tv deals, etc should go hand in hand. Like in any other sports/business, regulations are introduced to achieve specific things and it can be standalone.

Normally, I am not a fan of regulations and I belive market takes care of itself, but in this case, I can see there are advantages to football as a whole if UEFA levies cap on agent fees. Most importantly, it makes sure that the money earned through football stays in football instead of going to lawyers. Some of the agent fees cited are equivalent to player's annual salary, so i think thats way too much!

There should be some restriction like agent fees cannot exceed 10% of player's annnual salary or something like that. The agent fees being paid these days gives wrong incentives to agents to move their clients. If i am agent of Donnaruma, I would move him from Milan to Juventus, and then Juventus to United, rather than Milan to United.

ti vu

Agent fees shouldn't be a part of any transfer. When the agent is pocketing millions of pounds it's obvious the best scenario for him is moving the player as much as possible.
10% of a players' salary would make more sense to me.
Agents deal with more matter concerning the player than just playing salary. Image right, sponsor deal negotiate, tax. Some clubs want to save money while offering competitive wage so they need to work with agent in those tax scheme too. Legality ain't simple especially you're talking about player who can build a global brand themselves. These brands with partnership with the right club generate huge amount of money. You can't cap income. Capping agent fee doesn't sound enforceable in that way if UEFA statement about improving quality of agent is to be concerned. Why would you want to work more doing a better job when in the end some luck dudes finding quality player can get pay the same while doing bad job all around.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wasn't really going to make a new thread, but this really should be dealt with immediately. We're currently rumoured to be put off by excessive agent demands for the Sancho deal, during a global pandemic and subsequent economic meltdown.

Can they not get fecked once and for all?