UEFA Euro 2020 Main Draw

Gonçalo Motta

France are the favourites followed by Portugal and England imo. Those 3 NT are probably the NTs most stacked with top talent right now.

Both Germany and Spain are a shadow of what they used to be and I don't rate the Belgium squad that highly for some reason.

Surprises can happen though

Robertd0803

How did Garcia get called up for Spain? Hasnt he basically been exiled from City or is he on loan somewhere?

PoTMS

What kind of lunacy is it to only call up 24 players when you're allowed 26 especially when you have the riches Spanish possess in terms of talent? Apparently it's so they don't have too many players that aren't playing but it's utter stupidity.

saivet

How did Garcia get called up for Spain? Hasnt he basically been exiled from City or is he on loan somewhere?
He's been sitting on the bench for City all season. Given they didn't sell him last summer and he made it clear he'll leave on a free transfer to Barca, Pep and City have had no reason to play him this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Sarabia got in the forwards section over Asensio, has he even played much for PSG this season?

And looking at their defenders Azpilicueta looks the only real RB in there.

Seems QF will be their limit, would expect Italy to get further than them in the euros.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What’s happened to Saul’s career?

Lee565

ITV's team:

feck that, I will definitely be skipping the build up and half time/full time analysis, how did they come to conclusion that souness should be a host, could they not come up with a better, more modern and credible scotsman than him

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He's been sitting on the bench for City all season. Given they didn't sell him last summer and he made it clear he'll leave on a free transfer to Barca, Pep and City have had no reason to play him this season.
He's played more than he deserves to.
He may improve at another club but has been a liability for us when given the chance.

Robertd0803

He's been sitting on the bench for City all season.
Cheers I thought that alright but started doubting myself when I saw he had been picked.

And yeah given it was clear since last summer he was going Im surprised he even made the bench.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Peter Walton.
Got to admire him or his agent for making a little knowledge go a long way.
The guy's clueless and has been for years.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Enrique should consider playing a 3-5-2 formation with the players he's chosen, it will suit them more because it covers their weakness and also a player like Ferran Torres who's a good goal scorer and plays better centrally, can play upfront with Morata. And you can use Adama and Gaya/Alba as wing backs since there aren't really great wing forwards in that squad.

I think their normal 4-3-3 will leave them very exposed and highlight their weaknesses.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
France are the favourites followed by Portugal and England imo. Those 3 NT are probably the NTs most stacked with top talent right now.

Both Germany and Spain are a shadow of what they used to be and I don't rate the Belgium squad that highly for some reason.

Surprises can happen though
Portugal as second favorites? I'm not even sure we're going beyond the group stage. We have several players out of form and others who had very long seasons, and our manager is very cautious.
Seriously doubt we can take anything good from this competition.

saivet

Portugal as second favorites? I'm not even sure we're going beyond the group stage. We have several players out of form and others who had very long seasons, and our manager is very cautious.
You should get through in 3rd place at least. Surely you won't finish below Hungary?

Gonçalo Motta

On paper Portugal's NT is one of strongest NT's.

Ruben Dias - Best player of the Premier League 20/21
Cancelo - Had a great season and developed a lot
Bernardo Silva - Had a season of ups and downs but he is an incredible player
Bruno Fernandes - Top 3 player in the world in his position
José Fonte - One of the main reasons why Lille won the French League
Ronaldo - well, its Ronaldo
André Silva - 2o top scorer in the bundesliga, only behind Lewa and 1 more goal than Haaland.
Renato Sanches - Years later started to justify the hype with a great season at Lille
João Félix - Inconsistent but when he is on, he is incredible.

And you still have guys like Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, Raphael Guerreiro, Nuno Mendes, etc.

Hard not to rate Portugal as one of the main contenders with that squad although Fernando Santos has a track record in playing cautious and I don't feel like that is the right move with the firepower in this squad

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You should get through in 3rd place at least. Surely you won't finish below Hungary?
We have been playing like crap, basically. Unless there's some magic done by the technical staff to make a good preparation for the competition, can see us easily draw or loose against Hungary.

antk

Not sure how easy it'll be for France, Germany or Portugal to grab one of the 3rd place spots. Wouldn't they be disadvantaged by having 2 very hard games out of 3?

bakalhau

We have been playing like crap, basically. Unless there's some magic done by the technical staff to make a good preparation for the competition, can see us easily draw or loose against Hungary.
I think that's our most important game to be honest. We need a win there. Then we should only need a draw out of the other 2 games to pass through.

It's one heck of a group though. I think we overperform on harder groups (WC 2018, WC 2010, remember Euro 2000 group?), and I think just speaking of individual players, we got one hell of a squad, but France and Germany are always so tough to face.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
On paper Portugal's NT is one of strongest NT's.

Ruben Dias - Best player of the Premier League 20/21
Cancelo - Had a great season and developed a lot
Bernardo Silva - Had a season of ups and downs but he is an incredible player
Bruno Fernandes - Top 3 player in the world in his position
José Fonte - One of the main reasons why Lille won the French League
Ronaldo - well, its Ronaldo
André Silva - 2o top scorer in the bundesliga, only behind Lewa and 1 more goal than Haaland.
Renato Sanches - Years later started to justify the hype with a great season at Lille
João Félix - Inconsistent but when he is on, he is incredible.

And you still have guys like Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, Raphael Guerreiro, Nuno Mendes, etc.

Hard not to rate Portugal as one of the main contenders with that squad although Fernando Santos has a track record in playing cautious and I don't feel like that is the right move with the firepower in this squad
He knows no other way of assemble a team. We will be condemned to play the narrow 4x4x2ish variations with this man. That Euro win was a lottery ticket: so many poor exiitions and luck on the way, and Éder scoring the goal was the cherry on top of the lucky cake.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think that's our most important game to be honest. We need a win there. Then we should only need a draw out of the other 2 games to pass through.

It's one heck of a group though. I think we overperform on harder groups (WC 2018, WC 2010, remember Euro 2000 group?), and I think just speaking of individual players, we got one hell of a squad, but France and Germany are always so tough to face.
The quality is huge, you could make an high press oriented team with the amount of players available, except against top teams because either Pepe/Fonte will be outpaced. But we all know how are we going to play with Santos.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Portugal didn't overperform in Euro 2000 group stage, they were above Germany and Romania in quality.
The only surprise was probably winning the group over England...but hey, it's England, underperforming in big tournaments it's their motto since the 80s.

Also i don't think Portugal overperformed in WC 2018, as they almost got eliminated by Iran in the last minute.If something i believe they heavily underperformed, as they had the quality to qualify without suffering that much.

Portugal always do well in Euros, i think they will be fine.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Doel: Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Tim Krul (Norwich City), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax)

Verdediging: Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Aké (Manchester City), Daley Blind (Ajax), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Jurriën Timber (Ajax), Joël Veltman (Brighton & Hove Albion), Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale), Owen Wijndal (AZ)

Middenveld: Donny van de Beek (Manchester United), Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Teun Koopmeiners (AZ), Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Aanval: Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Cody Gakpo (PSV), Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Donyell Malen (PSV), Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyon), Quincy Promes (Spartak Moskou) en Wout Weghorst (VfL Wolfsburg).

We won’t go much further then the group stage.

Gonçalo Motta

Doel: Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Tim Krul (Norwich City), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax)

Verdediging: Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Aké (Manchester City), Daley Blind (Ajax), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Jurriën Timber (Ajax), Joël Veltman (Brighton & Hove Albion), Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale), Owen Wijndal (AZ)

Middenveld: Donny van de Beek (Manchester United), Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Teun Koopmeiners (AZ), Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Aanval: Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Cody Gakpo (PSV), Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Donyell Malen (PSV), Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyon), Quincy Promes (Spartak Moskou) en Wout Weghorst (VfL Wolfsburg).

We won’t go much further then the group stage.
It doesn't look that awful tbf but I don't know how over the years the dutch squad had such a massive drop in quality overall.
The first 11 is pretty decent but it really lacks offensive power but I could be wrong since there are a few offensive players there that I have never seen play.

It seems more than enough to win against the likes of Austria, North Macedonia, and Ukraine though.