UEFA Europa League 2013 Final

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Very nice consolation prize and celebrations for Chelsea.

And yet the Arse and Spurs - EVEN SPURS - will be praying they miss out on following in their footsteps next season. Football, bloody hell.

togg

It's not embarrassing, I don't think it is. As I said before, Chelsea have won a European trophy 2 years in a row - Champions League then Europa League. If it were us, I'd be chuffed.
Absolutely. I have to congratulate Chelsea. If it was us playing last night, with the chance for the only trophy left in the season for us, I would have been over the moon to have won it!

togg

About the same as an FA cup win to me. Except that this matters more in terms of our history.

Its been another funny season with uncertainty and mad decision making, yet somehow we've pulled it around and got back into the top four and won a trophy. I would have ripped your arm off for that in January.
So are you a Rafa fan now?

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Except that we dont have a team or mercenary cnuts. We arent quite as crudely designed as City.

Theres a spine that have been with the club for nearly a decade now or longer and despite spending a lot of money we dont tend to get the Tevez's and Balotellis with us.

Lampard, Cech, Drogba last season, Ferreira, Even Terry and Cole despite their questionable personas in footballing terms have been close knit they deserved their success in recent seasons. Some of the new players that have come in Mata, Oscar seem generally likable people too, and they do create a team.
:lol:

Did you really throw Ferreira in everyone's face as the sign of stability?

I agree with your general point though. The reason that Chelsea have been successful despite the managerial circus is because they have been able to keep the core of the squad together. The chopping and churning in the squad has been kept to minimal, and longevity breeds success.

Europa is equivalent to the COC of Europe. You still have to go out and win it. Congratulations!

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
For those who think its e, embarrassing to win the Champions league one season and the Europa league the next, if that is indeed embarrassing then I hope to god that next season is an embarrassing one as well!
So, the super cup next year then?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
For those who think its e, embarrassing to win the Champions league one season and the Europa league the next, if that is indeed embarrassing then I hope to god that next season is an embarrassing one as well!
Don't want to read the whole thread, but are people really saying that? That's one stupid thing to say. Going out in the group stages was embarrassing, but winning a competition never is, no matter how you got there. That doesn't make sense at all.

United's campaign in europe last season was embarrassing, going out in a weak group as english champions, then getting outplayed by a spanish midtable team in the round of last 16. Chelsea fecked up their group games, no one is denying that. Making the best out of it, is pretty much what football should be about. No crying about we're too good for the EL, there's not enough money in the EL, the games might cost us points in the league. That was embarrassing stuff on the Caf last year. Calling the EL a penalty was a horrific statement by Ferguson and disrespectful to the game. Now belittleing Chelsea for winning it, that would be embarrassing.

Though I've read lots of posts saying it's a great thing. I agree, congratulations for winning it.

Shinjisan

Don't want to read the whole thread, but are people really saying that? That's one stupid thing to say. Going out in the group stages was embarrassing, but winning a competition never is, no matter how you got there. That doesn't make sense at all.

United's campaign in europe last season was embarrassing, going out in a weak group as english champions, then getting outplayed by a spanish midtable team in the round of last 16. Chelsea fecked up their group games, no one is denying that. Making the best out of it, is pretty much what football should be about. No crying about we're too good for the EL, there's not enough money in the EL, the games might cost us points in the league. That was embarrassing stuff on the Caf last year. Calling the EL a penalty was a horrific statement by Ferguson and disrespectful to the game. Now belittleing Chelsea for winning it, that would be embarrassing.

Though I've read lots of posts saying it's a great thing. I agree, congratulations for winning it.
United campaign in champions league was embarrassing, not in Europa.

We were blighted by injuries last season. Were neck-in-neck in the league with our bitter rivals. Our captain was ruled out for the entire season. The defense and midfield were threadbare at times. There is no shame in focusing in the league instead of a competition for Europe's rejects. The league always was the priority under Sir Alex's reign. I hope it remains under Moyes' too.

Playing on Thursday nights in Eastern Europe and then come back to compete in the league is a penalty mate. Whichever way you may want to look at it.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea

Did you really throw Ferreira in everyone's face as the sign of stability?

I agree with your general point though. The reason that Chelsea have been successful despite the managerial circus is because they have been able to keep the core of the squad together. The chopping and churning in the squad has been kept to minimal, and longevity breeds success.

Europa is equivalent to the COC of Europe. You still have to go out and win it. Congratulations!
I meant in terms of players staying the course. I don't rate him highly as a player at all, but he has stuck it out and during our successful period we've had some very talented players who werent always known to be class before they came and who have stuck with us. Mata, and Oscar look similar in that respect, and whilst Hazard is clearly a top talent, he would be the only one I would watch in the future in terms of staying if we go through a rough patch.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea

We were blighted by injuries last season. Were neck-in-neck in the league with our bitter rivals. Our captain was ruled out for the entire season. The defense and midfield were threadbare at times. There is no shame in focusing in the league instead of a competition for Europe's rejects. The league always was the priority under Sir Alex's reign. I hope it remains under Moyes' too.

Playing on Thursday nights in Eastern Europe and then come back to compete in the league is a penalty mate. Whichever way you may want to look at it.
Our last 16 tie was in Bucharest and quarters were in Russia, I was very concerned how we would cope with that, but somehow we did fine. Our fitness levels must have bene better than that of Spurs and Liveprool who both seemed to suffer after thursday nights away.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Interesting stat: Chelsea have won as many European club trophies in the past 12 months as German football has won in the past 15 years :cool:

Did I imagine John Obi Mikel saying that the Europa League was a bag of cock only recently?

Nonetheless, you always enjoy your team winning a trophy, be it the League or Euro Cup.

Shinjisan

I meant in terms of players staying the course. I don't rate him highly as a player at all, but he has stuck it out. During our successful period we've had some very talented players who werent always known to be class before they came and who have stuck with us. Mata, and Oscar look similar in that respect, and whilst Hazard is clearly a top talent, he would be the only one I would watch in the future in terms of staying if we go through a rough patch.
Or it could be that no one wanted to pay a fees for him and the accompanying wages. He may someone who is happy to train and earn a fat paycheck.

You definitely have a gem in Mata. He is a terrific player and sounds like a terrific person too.

Our last 16 tie was in Bucharest and quarters were in Russia, I was very concerned how we would cope with that, but somehow we did fine. Our fitness levels must have bene better than that of Spurs and Liveprool who both seemed to suffer after thursday nights away.
Your squad isn't the biggest either. It is quite an achievement.

I thought Benitez's quest to shore up his resume is going to cost you a top 4 finish (not going to lie, was hoping too). Kudos to your team for securing a top 4 finish before the last day and winning the Europa last night.

mufcwarm92

I just think it's a waste of time and the mere fact that they had to play in it is embarrassing. It was clear to everyone that the 6th best team in England last season was far from the best in Europe, but they're the first champions to go out in the group stage. Chelsea are trying to spin this as a great achievement - holding both titles at once - but in reality, of they were worth their salt they'd never be there in the first place.

Winning a final is always nice, especially a European one, but the mere fact that most teams would rather not be in it proves how much of a tin pot it really is. Last year I felt the same - obviously I wanted to win the games but equally when we were out it was more a feeling or relief than disappointment.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting stat: Chelsea have won as many European club trophies in the past 12 months as German football has won in the past 15 years :cool:

Did I imagine John Obi Mikel saying that the Europa League was a bag of cock only recently?

Nonetheless, you always enjoy your team winning a trophy, be it the League or Euro Cup.
The problem is that bigger teams hardly ever win it. By big I mean the known top 3-4 in the top leagues.

You have to go back to 2001 and Liverpool to the last time a United, Arsenal, Barca, Real, Ac Milan, Juventus, Inter, Bayern etc won it, and before that Inter in 1998.

There have been some huge names in there since then too including Bayern Munich and AC Milan, not to mention United and Liverpool.

Because of this when you are fighting on other fronts you tend to expect not to win it so want to get out of it at the last 32.

When you get to the semis though you revert to the true value of it which is imo joint with the fa cup, in 3rd place out of 5.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Nonsense, Bilbao had to play league games on the weekend as well and for sure had neither the individual quality nor the squad depths United had. Yeah, injuries were a problem last season, still United should have done better. And your rival for the league title had to play those thursday night games as well.

If you can't see that publicly calling the EL a penalty is disrespectful to all the teams who fight for playing in it, try to win it, then it's really sad. United doesn't have the right for CL football and advantages against your opponents. That attitude is embarrassing.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
When you get to the semis though you revert to the true value of it which is imo joint with the fa cup, in 3rd place out of 5.
It is much the same as the League Cup. Once you get to the semis you want that trophy. Team selections often reflect that.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
It is much the same as the League Cup. Once you get to the semis you want that trophy. Team selections often reflect that.
Except that in the league cup you arent travelling as far. I prefer to stay in the league cup early stages more than the EL early stages but would rather win the EL than the League cup if you get to the semis.

Unless you already know you are going to take both completely seriously, in which case EL takes precedence.

kf

Hazard and Ba in suits....Terry in full kit.

You couldnt make it up :lol:
I didn't watch the trophy being presented, knew he was going to do that. My son said Terry was wearing a suit at the start of the match, is that right? Did he have his shin pads on like last time?

What a wanker!

Shinjisan

Nonsense, Bilbao had to play league games on the weekend as well and for sure had neither the individual quality nor the squad depths United had. Yeah, injuries were a problem last season, still United should have done better. And your rival for the league title had to play those thursday night games as well.

If you can't see that publicly calling the EL a penalty is disrespectful to all the teams who fight for playing in it, try to win it, then it's really sad. United doesn't have the right for CL football and advantages against your opponents. That attitude is embarrassing.
:)

Where did Bilbao finish in the league last season?

From the Europa third round onwards Bilbao's record in the league after their Europa matches was P7 W1 L6.

City bowed out of the competition at the same stage us.

Smaller teams like Bilbao try to win it as they have possibly no chance to compete in their domestic leagues and competitions. There league is so skewed towards the top two teams that it is their only chance of glory. I am not demeaning them. They are free to focus on whatever they want.

I never said that United had any right to CL football or advantage against out opponents. I don't know what you are talking about there. Though it is well within our rights to pick our focus and concentrate on the competitions that matter to us. I am baffled as to why you think that attitude is embarrassing?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
The problem is that bigger teams hardly ever win it. By big I mean the known top 3-4 in the top leagues.

You have to go back to 2001 and Liverpool to the last time a United, Arsenal, Barca, Real, Ac Milan, Juventus, Inter, Bayern etc won it, and before that Inter in 1998.

There have been some huge names in there since then too including Bayern Munich and AC Milan, not to mention United and Liverpool.

Because of this when you are fighting on other fronts you tend to expect not to win it so want to get out of it at the last 32.

It's not though. Above the league cup for sure, but give me a FA Cup over a Uefa cup any day.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Heh was EssexRob seriously on the Caf seconds after his team scored an injury time winner in a European final?

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Terry once again strips of his track suit top to make appear that he was actually involved in the final.

Just how sad is this guy.

Desperate to cling to any hint of glory, as he watches the end of this career loom large on the horizon.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not embarrassing, I don't think it is. As I said before, Chelsea have won a European trophy 2 years in a row - Champions League then Europa League. If it were us, I'd be chuffed.
This is a refreshing attitude. The reason I support the underdog in these competitions is because it usually means a hell of a lot more to Benfica, Porto, Bilbao, Rangers, Alaves or any other second-tier club to win a UEFA/Europa than it does to many of the spoiled supporters of the first-tier clubs. Similarly any club which prioritises a 8th-place league finish and wimping out of the Europa over a 10th-place league finish and a challenge at the Europa has simply forgotten the point of the game. It also undermines the fans who would no doubt relish the once-in-a-generation chance of a European title as opposed to receiving an extra £750k for finishing one spot higher in the table. Until the Champions League becomes less bloated and protectionist, this situation will continue.

The Neviller

Stop talking rot. Big clubs don't want to win it because big clubs don't want to be in it. We have the right for Champions League football as long as we finish in a high enough league position, which we do consistently.

What advantages against opponents are you talking about? Thursday night games being a penalty? They are, especially when it's in a two bit competition that nobody in football actually gives much of a feck about.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is a refreshing attitude. The reason I support the underdog in these competitions is because it usually means a hell of a lot more to Benfica, Porto, Bilbao, Rangers, Alaves or any other second-tier club to win a UEFA/Europa than it does to many of the spoiled supporters of the first-tier clubs. Similarly any club which prioritises a 8th-place league finish and wimping out of the Europa over a 10th-place league finish and a challenge at the Europa has simply forgotten the point of the game. It also undermines the fans who would no doubt relish the once-in-a-generation chance of a European title as opposed to receiving an extra £750k for finishing one spot higher in the table. Until the Champions League becomes less bloated and protectionist, this situation will continue.
In 10 years or so no one is going to remember if you finished 5th or 8th, people however will remember all the European finals from that period of time. I vividly remember all CL and Europa League (previously UEFA Cup) finals since I started watching football in mid to late 90s. For the likes of Zenit, Shakhtar or Sevilla winning this competition was the best achievement in their history. While it has lost some glamour since 90s simply because these days most top clubs enter Champions League whereas then you had the runners-up from top league playing in UEFA Cup, it's still an important and valuable trophy to play for. Sides like Middlesbrough and Fulham probably also look back at their UEFA Cup campaigns with nostalgia.

The Neviller

In 10 years or so no one is going to remember if you finished 5th or 8th, people however will remember all the European finals from that period of time. I vividly remember all CL and Europa League (previously UEFA Cup) finals since I started watching football in mid to late 90s. For the likes of Zenit, Shakhtar or Sevilla winning this competition was the best achievement in their history. While it has lost some glamour since 90s simply because these days most top clubs enter Champions League whereas then you had the runners-up from top league playing in UEFA Cup, it's still an important and valuable trophy to play for. Sides like Middlesbrough and Fulham probably also look back at their UEFA Cup campaigns with nostalgia.
It's important for lesser clubs. Simple fact is, big clubs don't want to be in it. Would I have liked United to have won the Europa League this season? Not particularly, because it would have meant we either didn't qualify for the champions league or got knocked out at the group stage.

Kingcon

It's important for lesser clubs. Simple fact is, big clubs don't want to be in it. Would I have liked United to have won the Europa League this season? Not particularly, because it would have meant we either didn't qualify for the champions league or got knocked out at the group stage.
But we were knocked out so why not try and win it? We got worked in Europe last year, surely winning the Europa would have been better than a trophy less season topped by a last second league defeat.

MUFCgal

I know we take the piss out of the Liverpool fans by singing 'Thursday nights channel 5', but that's just banter to the scouse scum. When we were knocked down into the EL, I would have liked us to win it. It's a European trophy and it's a trophy we've never won. It would have given us the full set as we've won everything else.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Winning a final is always nice, especially a European one, but the mere fact that most teams would rather not be in it proves how much of a tin pot it really is. Last year I felt the same - obviously I wanted to win the games but equally when we were out it was more a feeling or relief than disappointment.
You mean most PL teams, and even the PL teams try and qualify for it.

This idea that the Europa is somehow below the English teams dignity is bizarre and, in my opinion, entirely driven by how much TV money PL clubs have. If a team really doesn't want to be in it, or whose squad really is too thin to play in it, maybe we should give their place to a team that cares.

Trophies are big things - you only had to see what the Cup meant to Wigan fans, the LC to Swansea and what the Europa meant to Atletico or even to Chelsea to see that silverware matters.

Not everyone's in with a chance of winning a CL. Even fewer are in with a chance of winning a big league. Dismissing every other trophy as unimportant is missing out on a significant part of the pleasure of football.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The top five Premier League teams would view the Europa League as a hindrance.

Thursday night games, so close to the weekend. Doubled with the fact the team is either fighting for the title or a top four spot.

That and the recognition you receive domestically, it's very little in comparison to other trophies.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Stop talking rot. Big clubs don't want to win it because big clubs don't want to be in it. We have the right for Champions League football as long as we finish in a high enough league position, which we do consistently.

What advantages against opponents are you talking about? Thursday night games being a penalty? They are, especially when it's in a two bit competition that nobody in football actually gives much of a feck about.
But you were in it. No one is saying the goal for United before the season should be to win the EL. Of course not, because you have to fail to be in it. If you weren't good enough for the CL or the CL knock out rounds in one season, it's embarrassing to say, we don't care about it. It's one of two european competitions you can win each year, that's not a lot of opportunities and winning trophies is what football should be about.

All that crying about Thursday night games before the weekend is plain stupid anyway. Usually english teams play Thursday - Sunday - Thursday when they are in the EL. German teams play often Wednesday - Saturday reguarly when they play CL, that's exactly the same and it's no problem at all. Dortmund had to play Wednesday - Saturday - Tuesday twice for the CL quarter and semi finals this season. That's even worse and no one was complaining.

Spoiled fans of big clubs who think the competition isn't good enough for their elite club make up excuses to belittle the competition and ridicule the winners. That's embarrassing.

Jaap

It became a farce ever since the third-placed team of the Champions' League group stages was moved to the Europa League.