UEFA Europa League 2013 Final

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We aren't in it i dont think. It would have gone to the fair play league club.

MUFCgal

For those who think its e, embarrassing to win the Champions league one season and the Europa league the next, if that is indeed embarrassing then I hope to god that next season is an embarrassing one as well!
It's not embarrassing, I don't think it is. As I said before, Chelsea have won a European trophy 2 years in a row - Champions League then Europa League. If it were us, I'd be chuffed.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Did anyone actually confirm if Everton in EL? Someone asked earlier.
Nope. The extra place just gets lost. You don't get additional CL place if a team that won it already qualified from your league, likewise in Europa League.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 40m
Someone just sent me a photo of John Terry lifting the UEFA Cup in full kit. It's really not funny anymore, enough of these memes.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Tonight was actually the first time since 1999 an English side has won a European trophy in normal time, out of 12 games.

The 3 most recent English CL wins were on Pens and Liverpool won their UEFA cup AET. Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United, Boro, and Fulham all lost their other finals, Arsenal losing both CL and UEFA finals since 1999.

Kingcon

For all the instability in the Chelsea camp they have made some miraculous cup runs in Europe. I'd love to win the Europa league, call it Mickey Mouse but it's still a trophy in the cabinet.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
The main reason it was important for us was to be the first English club to have all European trophies. Looks like it'll be another marathon season in 2013/14 though if we have to qualify for the CL and have a Super cup again as well!

vuc

First Team Serb
Yeah but in terms of scoring.
Eh? He scored an important goal last year against Napoli and has scored plenty for Chelsea over the years.

Very proud of Ivanovic tonight, especially since how last year he had to miss out on a final. Feel bad for Matic though, should have been on the winning side. He was really good at times tonight.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
for the next week or so Fernando Torres will be reigning World Cup, European Champion, Champions League and Europa League winner. What has this average player done to deserve such a unique record.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Fair dues Chelsea. Didn't think they were the better side, but they took their chances.

The contrast between how seriously each side were taken it was quite funny. Benfica players, staff, and fans seemed in agony at the final whistle. Had the result being the other way round I doubt Chelsea would have given too much of a flying feck.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fair dues Chelsea. Didn't think they were the better side, but they took their chances.

The contrast between how seriously each side were taken it was quite funny. Benfica players, staff, and fans seemed in agony at the final whistle. Had the result being the other way round I doubt Chelsea would have given too much of a flying feck.
That doesn't really speak well about English attitude towards Europa League if it's true. I doubt it though, Chelsea players would have been disappointed too.

Rory 7

That doesn't really speak well about English attitude towards Europa League if it's true. I doubt it though, Chelsea players would have been disappointed too.
disappointed yes.

gutted no.

forget about the whole 'it matters more when there's money on it' mentality of recent years. surely what made winning great was making history? how does Chelsea winning the Europa League under their 9th manager in 8 years (or whatever the stat is), with a team of mercenary cnuts even matter?

i really don't think that europa league matters. its been completely devalued.

KiD MoYeS

Doesn't speak for English attitude, speaks for Chelsea. A team of their quality shouldn't even be in the competition.

I don't think many of our fans batted an eyelid when Bilbao knocked us out last season.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Doesn't speak for English attitude, speaks for Chelsea. A team of their quality shouldn't even be in the competition.

I don't think many of our fans batted an eyelid when Bilbao knocked us out last season.
Matchday threads tell a different story. In fact it was still bring brought up this season!

KiD MoYeS

Matchday threads tell a different story. In fact it was still bring brought up this season!
That's the matchday thread, where it's doom and gloom if a games scoreless after twenty minutes.

Taking nothing away from Chelsea, fair dues to them, they went out and won the competition like they should have. Unlike United last season.

But I don't think tonight will live too long in the memories of Chelsea fans, will it? :nervous:

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
disappointed yes.

gutted no.

forget about the whole 'it matters more when there's money on it' mentality of recent years. surely what made winning great was making history? how does Chelsea winning the Europa League under their 9th manager in 8 years (or whatever the stat is), with a team of mercenary cnuts even matter?

i really don't think that europa league matters. its been completely devalued.
Except that we dont have a team or mercenary cnuts. We arent quite as crudely designed as City.

Theres a spine that have been with the club for nearly a decade now or longer and despite spending a lot of money we dont tend to get the Tevez's and Balotellis with us.

Lampard, Cech, Drogba last season, Ferreira, Even Terry and Cole despite their questionable personas in footballing terms have been close knit they deserved their success in recent seasons. Some of the new players that have come in Mata, Oscar seem generally likable people too, and they do create a team.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
That's the matchday thread, where it's doom and gloom if a games scoreless after twenty minutes.

Taking nothing away from Chelsea, fair dues to them they went out and won the competition they should have. Unlike United last season.

But I don't think tonight will live too long in the memories of Chelsea fans, will it? :nervous:
About the same as an FA cup win to me. Except that this matters more in terms of our history.

Its been another funny season with uncertainty and mad decision making, yet somehow we've pulled it around and got back into the top four and won a trophy. I would have ripped your arm off for that in January.

elisha27

Not because of the competition itself, moreso the manner of our exit and what it said about the team to be so outclassed.

Rory 7

Except that we dont have a team or mercenary cnuts. We arent quite as crudely designed as City.

Theres a spine that have been with the club for nearly a decade now or longer and despite spending a lot of money we dont tend to get the Tevez's and Balotellis with us.

Lampard, Cech, Drogba last season, Ferreira, Even Terry and Cole despite their questionable personas in footballing terms have been close knit they deserved their success in recent seasons. Some of the new players that have come in Mata, Oscar seem generally likable people too, and they do create a team.
Chelsea under Abramovich aren't a team of mercenary cnuts? Wow.

Yeah I guess if he keeps pumping in money long enough you'll eventually have a history!

KiD MoYeS

About the same as an FA cup win to me. Except that this matters more in terms of our history.

Its been another funny season with uncertainty and mad decision making, yet somehow we've pulled it around and got back into the top four and won a trophy. I would have ripped your arm off for that in January.
It's certainly something you can build on, anyway. Still some young players there, and with Mourinho coming in I wouldn't be surprised to see you win the real European competition in the next few years.

wr8_utd

:'(
There were people actually disappointed with the exit to Bilbao last year? I think it was more to do with the way they hammered us with their style of play than any disappointment at losing out on the Europa League.

KiD MoYeS

There were people actually disappointed with the exit to Bilbao last year? I think it was more to do with the way they hammered us with their style of play than any disappointment at losing out on the Europa League.
That's exactly what it was.

Rory 7

Not because of the competition itself, moreso the manner of our exit and what it said about the team to be so outclassed.
Quite. And because our standards were rightly so high under SAF. Playing Thursday night European football and winning the Europa league should not be what a too club aspires to..