Uefa had ‘primary responsibility’ for Champions League final chaos, damning report finds

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
“The dangerous conditions on the concourse outside the turnstiles were compounded by the police deploying teargas at disorderly groups of locals, as well as using pepper spray on supporters trying to gain entrance with valid tickets,” the report states. “It is remarkable that no one lost their life. All the stakeholders interviewed by the panel have agreed that this situation was a near-miss: a term used when an event almost turns into a mass fatality catastrophe.”
The panel concludes that assertions regarding huge numbers of ticketless supporters, and those with fake tickets, have been wrongly inflated and have been stated as fact, to deflect responsibility for the planning and operational failures of stakeholders. This is reprehensible and has involved Uefa, Uefa Events SA [Uefa’s events organising arm], FFF, the Préfecture de Police, government officials and French ministers.
“Assertions that late, ticketless supporters were either the primary cause or contributed to the dangerous events have a particular resonance with Hillsborough, where similar allegations were made … and persisted for decades before being comprehensively disproved,” the report states.
The panel found that many Liverpool supporters’ experience of the Hillsborough disaster meant they had heightened awareness of the danger and collectively this helped to avoid a lethal disaster, but they were also vulnerable to increased trauma.

Kag

The whole thing was a disgrace, as were the accusations levelled at Liverpool supporters (not for the first time).

British-based journalists like Rob Draper and Kaveh Solhekol deserve credit, too. They knew that this stunk on the night and did a good job at highlighting this to the world.

Sylar

The whole thing was a disgrace, as were the accusations levelled at Liverpool supporters (not for the first time).

British-based journalists like Rob Draper and Kaveh Solhekol deserve credit, too. They knew that this stunk on the night and did a good job at highlighting this to the world.
It does seem the easy out for these organisations - just blame the british travelling crowds.
Police of other countries also have been heavy handed the same.

Ten Lasso

Harsh, but am I the only one on here that finds the image of them holding their tickets out through the gates somewhat funny :nervous:

Relevant

Harsh, but am I the only one on here that finds the image of them holding their tickets out through the gates somewhat funny :nervous:
Could be just you......perhaps because you haven't got a fecking clue? Or maybe you're going out of your way to be a complete James Hunt cos you're bored on a Monday night? There but for the grace of God go all football supporters, no matter their allegiance.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So what next? Are the people responsible for this getting sacked?

MegadrivePerson

Said this before, but this is exactly why the always the victim chant should never be sung and fans that sing it need educating.

This sort of thing could happen to any club in the country and we need to stand together as football fans on issues like this.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

This. Some of the posting on here at the time made me sick. You only need to watch one of the Hillsborough documentaries to see how so many aspects of the two situations overlapped, right down to the authorities covering up and blame-shifting using exactly the same words and phrases.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A lot of people should be losing their jobs over this, it really is disgraceful.

Red Star One

I actually feel bad for the unfairly blamed Liverpool fans and I genuinely hope they're never in a Champions League final again so that this never happens in the future.

djembatheking

It should be ok for the Liverpool fans in Istanbul this year, Uefa will have to get it right now.

Relevant

I actually feel bad for the unfairly blamed Liverpool fans and I genuinely hope they're never in a Champions League final again so that this never happens in the future.
It should be ok for the Liverpool fans in Istanbul this year, Uefa will have to get it right now.
It's these kind of messages, wrapped up as supposed amusement, that make people think that Manchester United fans are fookin gobshites. Have a bit of self awareness please you're letting the majority down.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Hope this can change some discourse for next time but who am I kidding. No one waits for the full story anymore and we’re quick to jump on our hidden agendas

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hope this can change some discourse for next time but who am I kidding. No one waits for the full story anymore and we’re quick to jump on our hidden agendas
I'm not even sure it was a case of not waiting for the full story, as the story we were getting from the journalists there as it was ongoing seemed quite clear and in-line with what this report has found. Some people/posters were just inclined to ignore that and blame the Liverpool fans anyway.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
there doesn't seem to be any mention of the Liverpool fans being attacked and robbed at knifepoint, who the attackers were and how they managed it?

Relevant

@FriedClams
WTF?

Unfortunately for most sheeple this is true.....thing is I'm guessing that you don't and neither do I so that's a start. Possibly. And it's also a choice.
I'm not even sure it was a case of not waiting for the full story, as the story we were getting from the journalists there as it was ongoing seemed quite clear and in-line with what this report has found. Some people/posters were just inclined to ignore that and blame the Liverpool fans anyway.
Beliefs built on a litany of false accusations perpetrated by those in charge and which have subsequently morphed into 'facts' over the years. In some ways it's not surprising the way some people respond....but it doesn't take a great deal of effort to actually uncover the truth for yourself.
Cheers ......and unfortunately this is where the 'facts' have led us.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Hidden agenda’s? Every stakeholder imaginable wanting change at UEFA and FIFA is hardly hidden. Nothing will change from this UEFA will be fined and may or may not contest it but for sure it will be swiftly swept under the rug.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Uefa and Mr Richard Arlison have a lot to answer for regarding that night.

Fluctuation0161

Said this before, but this is exactly why the always the victim chant should never be sung and fans that sing it need educating.

This sort of thing could happen to any club in the country and we need to stand together as football fans on issues like this.
Absolutely. It goes beyond club rivalry, as did Hillsborough. Any football fan who doesn't recognise that is punishing themselves through ignorance, because only through fans working together can conditions be improved and we can stop it happening again. Could be any club, could be any set of fans.

It goes beyond club rivalry.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Hidden agenda’s? Every stakeholder imaginable wanting change at UEFA and FIFA is hardly hidden. Nothing will change from this UEFA will be fined and may or may not contest it but for sure it will be swiftly swept under the rug.
Just meant we all have our biases and its human nature

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
https://theathletic.com/4196713/2023/02/14/liverpool-uefa-champions-league-final-report/

On Tuesday, Liverpool supporters’ group Spirit of Shankly said it also welcomed the report’s findings into “horrendous situations that occurred in and around Stade de France that night”.

It added: “With the publication of the report it is clear, the fans bear no culpability, the panel concluding ‘overarching organisational failures’ were the root of what went so badly wrong.

“A remarkable absence of joint working between the major stakeholders – UEFA, the French authorities and French Football Federation – from when the final was moved to Paris, in February last year, up to and including the day of the match itself, resulted in pandemonium.”

It concluded: “We would expect UEFA and the authorities to act upon each of these. We also expect an apology for the lies and smears UEFA so quickly aimed at supporters, without whom their competition and showcase final would be nothing.”

What about this as well, the absolute fecking cnuts. It took them about five seconds to decide to bring out the Hillsborough playbook and peddle the same lies to cover their arse. They should all hang.

RoyH1

And Ceferin ain’t gonna do a thing and keep doing as usual and getting all his big bonuses.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
UEFA has been getting away with horrendous organisation of events for ages. Europe league final had also massive issues with fans not having access to water for hours in 35 degree Celsius.
It’s proper laughable, all that profit they pocket and their events have Fyre festival vibes, a disaster waiting to happen.

Pintu

And Ceferin ain’t gonna do a thing and keep doing as usual and getting all his big bonuses.
He has to act. He can't afford the bad PR in the months leading to ECJ final rule on his conflict with the rebellious clubs driving the Super League project. I expect him, for once, to do the right thing...

whitbyviking

The fans of the English clubs in Europe are treated like animals, based solely on the hooligan history. My old fellar followed Middlesbrough and Rome was like a war zone when they played Roma, people getting stabbed. Then you have the incidents with our fans, Leeds fans, Liverpool fans etc. This is aside from things such as racism and fireworks in grounds. UEFA do nothing except cash their fat Cheques.

RoyH1

He has to act. He can't afford the bad PR in the months leading to ECJ final rule on his conflict with the rebellious clubs driving the Super League project. I expect him, for once, to do the right thing...
I'll hold my breath. Maybe if his Qatari masters think it's bad PR for them too he'll act. But to be honest I don't think he cares about fans. Not one little bit.

FreckBarca

Supports
Espanyol
Real Madrid just made a "Comunicado Oficial" regarding this:
https://www.realmadrid.com/noticias/2023/03/09/comunicado-oficial

"Our club trusted at all times that the solutions would be proportionate to the seriousness of the facts, the scope of the damages caused and UEFA's responsibility for all of this.

Unfortunately, our club considers UEFA's proposal, officially communicated last Tuesday and that consists exclusively of the reimbursement of the price of the tickets, insufficient. It is also conditioned by the fulfillment of a series of requirements, among which is included demonstrate the time of access to the stadium.

For this reason, Real Madrid has decided not to collaborate in the limited compensation procedure promoted by UEFA, to which we ask to rectify and assume full responsibility"

They were responsible for the mess and now they are trying to act cheap...

Last edited: