Uefa to scrap away goals rule

Siorac

Lovely stuff, about time.

I'd say scrap extra time as well. If it's still a draw after 180 minutes, go straight to penalties.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Great. The rule was simply idiotic.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So in the 30 minutes ET the home team will have home advantage but is that advantage neglible?

Kaizane

The fallout of the ESL begins, UEFA now scrambling to "modernise" the game while taking away the traditions that have upheld the game for decades and were adamant the ESL would take away. Not an advocation for the ESL by any means, merely proof big decisions will only ever be made when there's money riding on it. They know VAR ruins the game but because the margins are so fine and there's so much money involved, they simply can't leave it down to human reasoning anymore.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Another extra playing minutes for footballer, nice. Told you UEFA is as croocked as ESL.
I think that's the motive for Uefa, yes, more TV time, more advertising revenue which will filter through to them.

As for the fans, I can only think most of those that support the idea can't remember what a difference away goals made when it was introduced, and don't want to listen to those that do.

saivet

This encourages more boring games to me
I think it goes both ways really, we've often seen how one away goal can kill a 2nd leg completely.

I think that's the motive for Uefa, yes, more TV time, more advertising revenue which will filter through to them.

As for the fans, I can only think most of those that support the idea can't remember what a difference away goals made when it was introduced, and don't want to listen to those that do.
When was it introduced? I'm not sure I was old enough or even born to remember the CL without away goals.

cyberman

Good. It froze the home teams a little too much. Sir Alex wasnt a fan so neither am I.
Scoring that first away goal is just too powerful.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think it goes both ways really, we've often seen how one away goal can kill a 2nd leg completely.

When was it introduced? I'm not sure I was old enough or even born to remember the CL without away goals.
The first was apparently the cup winners cup in 65, but I think it must have taken a while for it to be in the other competitions as well, as I remember it being discussed more (very positively) as a teenager, so later 60s I would think.

Siorac

What difference did it make?
Between 1955-56 and 1961-62 there were 3.71 goals per game in the European Cup from the round of 16 onwards. From 1962-63 to 1969-70, the last season before complete adoption of the away-goals rule, there were 2.94.

But what’s striking is what followed. In the 21 seasons before the change of format and the introduction of group stages, there were just 2.53 goals per game. In other words, the introduction of the away-goals rule coincided with a fall in the number of goals per game.

Now, of course, it is possible that the situation would have been even worse without the away-goals rule, but what is clear is that the rule was never an effective solution to the problem of away teams, in modern parlance, parking the bus.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...l-off-illogical-and-arbitrary-away-goals-rule

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s a bad idea. The rule makes European ties a lot more interesting.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Go away old man.

largelyworried

Away goals are kind of pointless these days. They were introduced at a time when it was difficult and time consuming to travel abroad and teams had a genuine physical disadvantage playing away from home. These days, when players travel first class, take their own chefs, and stay in 5 star hotels, is there really any difference between playing in London, Paris or Madrid?

But... some part of me will be a little bit sad. Yes away goals are illogical and yes it ruined some games. But there were times when the away goals rule introduced a fascinating knife edge into games. That situation of chasing a goal, but knowing that conceding would essentially mean game over, made for some fascinating tactical situations. And as a fan, that feeling of scoring an away goal - a sort of double goal - was incredibly sweet.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd love to know why people think this is a good idea, will result in better games, and its not based in bitterness about past away goal moments that didn't go our way.

Siorac

I'd love to know why people think this is a good idea, will result in better games, and its not based in bitterness about past away goal moments that didn't go our way.
It will result in fairer games, that's the point. A team going through after a couple of draws is simply wrong - they should at least win a penalty shootout.

From the entertainment aspect: home teams will be less paralysed by fear of conceding the magical away goal. It's become accepted wisdom these days (though the actual stats don't really support it actually) that a 0-0 home draw in a first leg is a good result. That's fecked up.

Jev

First major rule change in ages that I actually believe will improve football.

redshaw

We'll just have to see if this results in more teams going for draws extra time and pens, they can always revert back. There's pros and cons, I feel away goals are good way to wrap up a game in 90mins and the CL drama is more intense. With players playing too much, an increase in CL games coming with the potential of more extra time it could result in a lot more boring games but I'm intrigued to see if that's actually the case.

hobbers

Finally a good bit of common sense in rule changes.

Makes absolutely no sense to have away goals counting more in this day and age.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is a terrible decision that will rob football of some truly iconic moments. I think back to how I felt when I saw Rashford's last minute penalty hit the net against PSG. Moments like that will just lead to extra time now, probably penalties.

There's no perfect system to decide ties in football. But away goals have contributed some magic moments. Who can forget Spurs vs City ending 4-4 with Spurs going through in the Champions League on away goals? When you're on the wrong end of it, as we have been, it hurts like hell. But it sure as s-t makes the stakes higher and creates more drama.

All I can see coming from this decision are more penalty shoot outs.

shaky

I don't see why people think it will lead to duller games. if anything, it will make the first legs far less dull. Does anyone find FA cup games dull because they don't have an away goals rule?

Nick7

Good, I think losing or winning a tie when you scored the exact same amount of goals as the opposition is completely and utterly idiotic.

Scottynaldinho

No need to complicate the discussion. It gave away team an advantage in return of playing with an attacking mindset and risk conceding in doing so.

Scraping the rule takes that away and will make the games linear emotionally. We saw yesterday what exiting knockout scenarios does to football.

DizeeGorilla20

I still remember how we dominated Bayern at Old Trafford and seemed to be crusing to the next round, only for a single goal (and red card) to completely flip the tie on it's head. Suddenly we were facing the exit door and it was Bayern looking to progress. I still feel sick thinking about it all these years later.

It's then that I realised that the away goals rule was wrong and unfair. I'm glad it's gone.

DizeeGorilla20

This is a terrible decision that will rob football of some truly iconic moments. I think back to how I felt when I saw Rashford's last minute penalty hit the net against PSG. Moments like that will just lead to extra time now, probably penalties.

There's no perfect system to decide ties in football. But away goals have contributed some magic moments. Who can forget Spurs vs City ending 4-4 with Spurs going through in the Champions League on away goals? When you're on the wrong end of it, as we have been, it hurts like hell. But it sure as s-t makes the stakes higher and creates more drama.

All I can see coming from this decision are more penalty shoot outs.
It's manufactured drama. There are no away goals in other competions yet we still see plenty of dramatic and magical moments.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I still remember how we dominated Bayern at Old Trafford and seemed to be crusing to the next round, only for a single goal (and red card) to completely flip the tie on it's head. Suddenly we were facing the exit door and it was Bayern looking to progress. I still feel sick thinking about it all these years later.

It's then that I realised that the away goals rule was wrong and unfair. I'm glad it's gone.
There are so many things about that game that are unfair. Away goals the least of them.

Had Bayern not been allowed to kick Rooney out of the game without punishment, had Rafael been judged less harshly by a biased referee, the list goes on.

Away goals did hurt as that night, as they've hurt us many a time in Europe. Leverkussen 2002 stands out to me....

But.

None of the alternatives seem preferable. We're just going to end up with longer games and more penalty shoot outs.

SirAF

Ageist
There are so many things about that game that are unfair. Away goals the least of them.

Had Bayern not been allowed to kick Rooney out of the game without punishment, had Rafael been judged less harshly by a biased referee, the list goes on.

Away goals did hurt as that night, as they've hurt us many a time in Europe. Leverkussen 2002 stands out to me....

But.

None of the alternatives seem preferable. We're just going to end up with longer games and more penalty shoot outs.
More drama and entertainment!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
When their team gets drawn a couple of times to play the second leg away the same whingers that whinge about everything will soon be whinging about how unfair it is.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't see why people think it will lead to duller games. if anything, it will make the first legs far less dull. Does anyone find FA cup games dull because they don't have an away goals rule?
Odd comparison. Why would one legged ties have an away goals rule? Now that would be daft.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You can guess the first team to go out under the new rule, after having gone out the last two times with the old rule?? :wenger: