Uefa to scrap away goals rule

Giggs86

Porto 2004 wasn't on away goals. Can't remember Real ever knocking us out on away goals.

Glad the rule's gone though because of 2010 alone.
You're right, my bad. Vs Porto we were about to go through on away goals until the last minute. And vs Real for some reason I thought we were getting knocked out on away goals after we beat them 4-3 at Old Trafford.

reuben290

That golden goal thing was shite as well. Glad that went.
Imagine the golden goal with VAR now... holy shit. The pressure on referees to literally decide if your team's getting knocked out or not :O

Reactions: 711

atkar83

So it wasn't working well before, and they made a rule to correct it. Some people didn't like it so they fix it by going back to the original method that wasn't working well? Jose Mourinhos play style just got a whole lot more relevant

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I like this. The away goal rules never made sense to me. There was never gonna be a perfect system so it never made sense to me why they tried to change it

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It doesn't make sense to play extra time, it gives unfair advantage for the team that plays at home in the second leg. Why should they get extra 30 mins in their home ground when away team has no advantage at all.

If they want to scrap the away goal rule then both games should be played for 90 mins and then straight to penalties.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It doesn't make sense to play extra time, it gives unfair advantage for the team that plays at home in the second leg. Why should they get extra 30 mins in their home ground when away team has no advantage at all.

If they want to scrap the away goal rule then both games should be played for 90 mins and then straight to penalties.
Easy solution, two 90 minute matches, extra time at neutral venue. Think of all the extra UEFA income!

roonster09

Scout
Easy solution, two 90 minute matches, extra time at neutral venue. Think of all the extra UEFA income!
Don't give them silly ideas, won't be surprising if they went ahead with that plan.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The away goal rule was better than what was before imo. At least the away team tried to score

stevoc

You're right, my bad. Vs Porto we were about to go through on away goals until the last minute. And vs Real for some reason I thought we were getting knocked out on away goals after we beat them 4-3 at Old Trafford.
Yeah that's probably stuck in some people's minds. I believe it would have been the first time we went through on away goals until their jammy late equalizer.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

They’re still having penalties at their home ground, which is obviously a huge advantage when it comes to pressure situations like that.

roonster09

Scout
They’re still having penalties at their home ground, which is obviously a huge advantage when it comes to pressure situations like that.
Yeah but you need some solution to end the game. Can't ask them to take penalties in neutral ground.

This change is good but should have removed extra time too.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah but you need some solution to end the game. Can't ask them to take penalties in neutral ground.

This change is good but should have removed extra time too.
Or just keep the away goal rule. Why remove extra time for the home advantage but not the penalties? Makes no sense really does it.

roonster09

Scout
Or just keep the away goal rule. Why remove extra time for the home advantage but not the penalties? Makes no sense really does it.
Because game should be concluded and they can't go in search of neutral ground for penalties.

Even with away goal rule, when it goes to penalties, home team has advantage. So you want them to go to neutral ground to finish the penalties?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because game should be concluded and they can't go in search of neutral ground for penalties.

Even with away goal rule, when it goes to penalties, home team has advantage. So you want them to go to neutral ground to finish the penalties?
Yes I get that, they need penalties to decide the game and going to a neutral ground for that is a stupid idea but you want to scrap extra time because the home team as an advantage there while wanting to ignore the advantage they have for penalties.

Hughes35

It's no wonder some teams want a breakaway league. Rule Uefa / Fifa introduce are always a joke.

Well done on killing yet more tension / excitement.

How do they come to these stupid decisions so often?

OmarUnited4ever

I know the away goals adds that element of tension and excitement to the CL, but for me, i would rather have the away goals scrapped, we might see some tasty games like a United vs Bayern going to extra time in the allianz stadium and we coming out on top in a extra time goal or penalties..

roonster09

Scout
Yes I get that, they need penalties to decide the game and going to a neutral ground for that is a stupid idea but you want to scrap extra time because the home team as an advantage there while wanting to ignore the advantage they have for penalties.
Even now they have advantage of taking penalties at home ground, there is nothing anyone can do about that, unless UEFA wants to play third game in neutral venue.

Scrapping away rule gives unfair advantage to home team as they get extra 30 mins at home ground. With away goal rule, that was neutralized as away team got 30 mins to score one more goal which makes it near impossible for home team to mount a come back. There was at least fairness in that rule.

Away goal rule - Home team advantage as they get 30 mins in their home ground, away team advantage as one goal can knock the home team out, home team advantage as they will take penalties in their home ground.

This rule - Home team advantage as they get 30 mins in their home ground, home team advantage as they will take penalties at their home ground. Away team has 0 advantage.

The rule I said - Home team advantage as they take penalties in their home ground. Apart from that, there is nothing in that.

So it should be either 1 or 3, not 2.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Even now they have advantage of taking penalties at home ground, there is nothing anyone can do about that, unless UEFA wants to play third game in neutral venue.

Scrapping away rule gives unfair advantage to home team as they get extra 30 mins at home ground. With away goal rule, that was neutralized as away team got 30 mins to score one more goal which makes it near impossible for home team to mount a come back. There was at least fairness in that rule.

Away goal rule - Home team advantage as they get 30 mins in their home ground, away team advantage as one goal can knock the home team out, home team advantage as they will take penalties in their home ground.

This rule - Home team advantage as they get 30 mins in their home ground, home team advantage as they will take penalties at their home ground. Away team has 0 advantage.

The rule I said - Home team advantage as they take penalties in their home ground. Apart from that, there is nothing in that.

So it should be either 1 or 3, not 2.
Sorry, I just disagree.

The away goal rule balanced the fact that the home team had extra time and penalties at their ground. I don’t like splitting the advantage of extra time and penalties as you are doing. The advantage is still there.

now they’ve got rid of the away goal rule, the home team in the second leg will always have an advantage whether it’s extra time and penalties or just penalties.

The best one has got to be AC Milan beating Inter Milan on away goals with both games in the same stadium :lol:
brilliant :D

I think this is a good evolution of the game. The game has changed. Home advantage is not as important as it once was.

I’m surprised that they didn’t go the half way house route, and scraping the away goals in extra time. But you cant please everyone.

I don’t think it will change the intent of teams too much, but will be fairer - the winner goes through because they scored more than the opposition
- be that in normal time, extra time or in pens. That’s fundamentally fairer.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I think it goes both ways really, we've often seen how one away goal can kill a 2nd leg completely.

When was it introduced? I'm not sure I was old enough or even born to remember the CL without away goals.
I believe it was introduced in the late 60s, so I’m pretty sure most people on here would not be able to remember two legged European club ties without the away goals rule.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry, I just disagree.

The away goal rule balanced the fact that the home team had extra time and penalties at their ground. I don’t like splitting the advantage of extra time and penalties as you are doing. The advantage is still there.

now they’ve got rid of the away goal rule, the home team in the second leg will always have an advantage whether it’s extra time and penalties or just penalties.

That's what I said, they made it worse by removing the away goal rule and not removing the ET, this gives too much advantage for home team. That's the point I made, after all the posts, you repeated the same thing.

This is the post you replied to, not sure how your post is any different than what I posted.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's what I said, they made it worse by removing the away goal rule and not removing the ET, this gives too much advantage for home team. That's the point I made, after all the posts, you repeated the same thing.

This is the post you replied to, not sure how your post is any different than what I posted.
Ah I don’t know :lol:

my first post to you I thought was me saying there’s still an advantage even if you remove extra time.

Ok we agree, I don’t think the away goal rule should be scrapped as now there’s no offset to a clear advantage.

Giggs86

Home advantage nowadays is not what it used to be a decade ago anyway.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I never found the away goal rule to be that jarring, to be honest. I think it is the right decision, as long as they make sure time-wasting is not allowed to keep the draw in the tie.

What my worry with this abolition now is that teams will try to play for penalties and we have a lot more scenarios where this might be the case.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Im sooo looking forward to 30 minutes of extra time all the time....

MUFC OK

Just had a thought. Surely with away goals scrapped we will see a rise in pen shootouts in the CL/EL. It used to only be when 1st and 2nd leg were the exact same score. Now any aggregate draw will will be sufficient.

A GK who is good on pens is surely a must for teams aiming to win either competition?

Cant wait to continue my tally of shootouts won by team kicking first. We’re on 6 in a row currently.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
After so many years I had gotten used to this so I don't like this change.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I've been thinking about this and have decided any two-legged tie shouldn't have extra time.

You've already had 180 minutes to find a winner, you shouldn't be adding 30 more on top of that.

Reinstate away goals, scrap extra time.

MUFC OK

I've been thinking about this and have decided any two-legged tie shouldn't have extra time.

You've already had 180 minutes to find a winner, you shouldn't be adding 30 more on top of that.

Reinstate away goals, scrap extra time.
Would love to see Golden Goal return instead.

Abizzz

My concern is a huge increase in pen shootouts.
Think this is inevitable. Everyone starting with an away game will play for a 0:0 (when the teams are on the same level) and everyone playing their second game away will try to get a draw at least... The away goal rule added urgency which is generally great for the game in my opinion.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Would love to see Golden Goal return instead.
Would that really change much?

Teams that are fairly evenly matched tend to play out very dull, cagey extra times, and when there's a clear favourite, the underdog just sits back soaks up pressure trying to get to penalties.

MadMike

Would that really change much?

Teams that are fairly evenly matched tend to play out very dull, cagey extra times, and when there's a clear favourite, the underdog just sits back soaks up pressure trying to get to penalties.
feck penalties. They should be the last resort for cup draws.

There should be a points system (beyond goals) based on chances created, shots on goal and xG. A bit I guess like the points system of Boxing or MMA. In the event of a cup draw, the team that has more points qualifies. If neither team has done enough to win on goals or points, only then it goes penalties.

That would disincentivise teams to sit back and soak up pressure if it's a draw but they are behind on points because they done feck all game.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
feck penalties. They should be the last resort for cup draws.

There should be a points system (beyond goals) based on chances created, shots on goal and xG. A bit I guess like the points system of Boxing or MMA. In the event of a cup draw, the team that has more points qualifies. If neither team has done enough to win on goals or points, only then it goes penalties.

That would disincentivise teams to sit back and soak up pressure if it's a draw but they are behind on points because they done feck all game.
I would much rather see a game decided on penalties than fecking xG

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You do you. Just don't complain about teams parking the bus for 120mins and playing for pens though.
Eh? I literally just said reinstate away goals and scrap extra time.

180 minutes of football to find a winner, if there isn't one, the team that scored the most away goals wins, if they're tied there too, penalties.

I'd much rather that than going into who had the most shots or highest xG.