Uefa to scrap away goals rule

shaky

Odd comparison. Why would one legged ties have an away goals rule? Now that would be daft.
The point was, teams don't automatically play for a draw /pens just because they can.

shaky

Plenty do though.You’d like to think less will in the CL due to the quality of teams involved, but it’ll make the EL an even more horrific little competition.
Anything seems fairer than getting knocked out despite scoring the same amount of goals as the other team. Can't think the EL could get much worse as a spectacle anyway!

Abraxas

It's not something I'll miss. For every game you get that is on a knife edge and made interesting by the prospect of away goals there is also the opportunity for boring first legs where the home team is more worried about clean sheets. It probably evens out in the end in terms of entertainment.

So then the question is more of whether away goals are necessary in terms of fairness. I would say, no, they're not. You should have to win the tie by a goal, or eventually by penalty shootout to go through. This is winning the game on the scoreboard rather than through a rule, which makes sense.

The counter argument is that the home team has an advantage in extra time but the stats on that would be interesting to see. If you have not differentiated yourself from the away side in 180 mins it seems it may not be such an advantage.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
How about this:

"In the event of a tie, the last team that scores goes through"

"However if both teams failed to score for 180 minutes they both go out"

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not something I'll miss. For every game you get that is on a knife edge and made interesting by the prospect of away goals there is also the opportunity for boring first legs where the home team is more worried about clean sheets. It probably evens out in the end in terms of entertainment.

So then the question is more of whether away goals are necessary in terms of fairness. I would say, no, they're not. You should have to win the tie by a goal, or eventually by penalty shootout to go through. This is winning the game on the scoreboard rather than through a rule, which makes sense.

The counter argument is that the home team has an advantage in extra time but the stats on that would be interesting to see. If you have not differentiated yourself from the away side in 180 mins it seems it may not be such an advantage.
For the point you being up, and also for the interest of reducing playing time to avoid fatigue related injuries in the sport, I'm all for scrapping extra time. If you can't decide the tie in 2 90 minutes games, go straight to PKs.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Pointless meddling, away goal works pretty well I think. What will this improve? Like the hand ball changes.

More extra time and penalties likely from this change. Is that what TV companies want?

Get In Scholesy

If they do this, then it would be logical to scrap extra time in 2 legged ties. Otherwise, they are scrapping one "advantage" of the away goals rule, while keeping the advantage of the home team in the 2nd leg, as they can play an extra 30 minutes in their stadium to decide the tie.

Both gotta go.

Dominos

There's no evidence that first leg of knockouts are disproportionately 0-0s.

Suedesi

Great, silly rule anyway. Though only scrapping it for extra time would've been fine too, since that gives one team a clear advantage.
The way it's presently amended then, it gives a clear advantage to the team playing the second leg at home.

Say the tie goes to ET, then the home team has home field advantage for 30 minutes! At least the away goal, kinda negated some of that advantage.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
If they do this, then it would be logical to scrap extra time in 2 legged ties. Otherwise, they are scrapping one "advantage" of the away goals rule, while keeping the advantage of the home team in the 2nd leg, as they can play an extra 30 minutes in their stadium to decide the tie.

Both gotta go.
Maybe that's the final conclusion. Be interesting what the pros think, penalties are such a lottery.

Anustart89

So basically no incentive for the away team to attack anymore. Great!

UEFA ruining football with shite decisions like this, the sport is already dying but they are accelerating it even further
And no incentive for the home team to aggressively chase a clean sheet. You see, it works both ways.

DizeeGorilla20

There are so many things about that game that are unfair. Away goals the least of them.

Had Bayern not been allowed to kick Rooney out of the game without punishment, had Rafael been judged less harshly by a biased referee, the list goes on.

Away goals did hurt as that night, as they've hurt us many a time in Europe. Leverkussen 2002 stands out to me....

But.

None of the alternatives seem preferable. We're just going to end up with longer games and more penalty shoot outs.
I don't agree that it will be as bad as people think. How many ties are broken by the away goals rule anyway? By the 2022/2023 season I reckon most people would have forgotten that the away goal rule even ever existed.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Without the away goal rule you can’t go from winning a tie to losing a tie with one goal which means a lot of games will be less tense.

CL football was perfect as it was, wouldn’t be surprised if they change the rule again in a few years

DoomSlayer

Having the chance to play 30 minutes more as extra time on your own stadium is definitely a big advantage for the home side. More thought should be put into this, in my opinion.

FizzyWomack

I thought they already scrapped it?

I was very confused during the EL final because we were the away team and won the game 2-1 (away goals count double), so I was very confused when the game restarted instead of seeing our players celebrating a magical European win.
Hahahah!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have we ever gone through a European knockout round on away goals? Remember going out to Monaco, Leverkusen and Bayern like this.

Poltophagy

The way it's presently amended then, it gives a clear advantage to the team playing the second leg at home.

Say the tie goes to ET, then the home team has home field advantage for 30 minutes! At least the away goal, kinda negated some of that advantage.
Having your goals count twice as much in a game where the typical score line is just a few goals is a much bigger advantage than being at home for a mere 30 minutes.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Without the away goal rule you can’t go from winning a tie to losing a tie with one goal which means a lot of games will be less tense.

CL football was perfect as it was, wouldn’t be surprised if they change the rule again in a few years
That’s the best point I’ve seen made. I’m not liking the change to be honest

Bollocks, the worst thing was how a tie could be 0-1 to the away side after losing 0-1 at home, 1-1 on the scoreboard with 20-25 minutes left to play and they make it 2–0.
Game is over even, erm… shit maths shit maths shit maths, something about 3 goals, stupid RAB.

fecking rubbish rule.

The amount of teams leading the tie but playing cowardly football for the final 15-20 incase of a sucker punch that would suddenly require them scoring 2 goals will be gone also. Tense more often than not meant a cowardly team.

Last edited:

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Bollocks, the worst thing was how a tie could be 0-1 to the away side after losing 0-1 at home, 1-1 on the scoreboard with 20-25 minutes left to play and they make it 2–0.
Game is over even with a barnstorming 2 goal comeback, cause now they stupidly need 3 goals.

fecking rubbish rule.

The amount of teams leading the tie but playing cowardly football for the final 15-20 incase of a sucker punch that would suddenly require them scoring 2 goals will be gone also.
Maths clearly ain't your strong point. :lol:

Schneiderman

This is the key point. There's been some crazy turnarounds in the last few years because of away goals, like that Ajax v Spurs game.

Suedesi

Having your goals count twice as much in a game where the typical score line is just a few goals is a much bigger advantage than being at home for a mere 30 minutes.
They don't count twice, they never have.

The rule is, if the score is tied on aggregate, the team that has scored more away goals goes thru. That's it.

Poltophagy

PSG in 2019. Struggling to think of another time.
Away goal rule benefits weak and defensive teams looking to progress with draws and lucky wins. Mourinho loves it. Not the type of team United was under Fergie.

People saying it is easier to stage a comeback, you just flipped the odds for the other team. It doesn't really change anything. United might have managed to stage a comeback against Real Madrid when we were 3 down if we didn't need 4 goals to do it. In the end we got 2 before we gave up. You almost never get extra time or penalties with this rule either. Most of the classic World Cup and Euro games are those that went to the limit. If two teams want to draw fine, then you get punished with extra minutes and maybe the randomness of a penalty shootout. That promotes attacking play. Either in normal time, or with tired legs in extra time. Where is the evidence the away rule does this better?

Reactions: Invictus

Giggs86

I swear we've been fecked by this rule more than any other team in Europe. Monaco, Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto, Bayern, every single time we got fecked by this rule.

Edit: Feck Leverkusen and feck Neuville.

stevoc

I swear we've been fecked by this rule more than any other team in Europe. Monaco, Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto, Bayern, every single time we got fecked by this rule.

Edit: Feck Leverkusen and feck Neuville.
Porto 2004 wasn't on away goals. Can't remember Real ever knocking us out on away goals.

Glad the rule's gone though because of 2010 alone.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Stupid decisions ruining football once more. Just keep things the way they are.