Uefa Youth League - last 16 - United v Borussia Dortmund

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As the commentator said, if only he’d used the same technique with the onside chance as he did with the two offside ones. Strange decision to go near post after two beautiful far post finishes.
I wonder if he was worried the keeper might have read him a third time? Either way this game had some good lessons the lads can take away and build upon.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wonder if he was worried the keeper might have read him a third time? Either way this game had some good lessons the lads can take away and build upon.
Maybe? I thought their keeper was excellent. I think the fact he slipped might have got in Gamacho’s head. He was up like lightning though and closed him down very well.

0le

United played well, particularly for 20 mins at the beginning of the second half. Mejbri in the second half was everywhere, it reminded me a little bit of the Beckham vs Greece performance. Iqbal was also pretty silky.

VDG17

I think the whole team showed they belong amongst the best at this level with the performance.
I am a little bit surprised that Hannibal has taken so many plaudits though. He was very good second half but in the first I thought Iqbal was much better. His passing into the final third was top quality. Much of what we made went through him for a long period.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think this is the game that i enjoyed the most this season. Some really lovely play from our youngsters.

Garnacho and Mcneill are great together. They press quite intensely and do it in sync with each other. And both can finish well ( although Garnacho missed one but had two excellent finish for offside goal)

Shoretire is quite talented also but his first touch can be bit erratic at times. But he has bit of everything. Need to be patient with him though as he is still quite young. But very promising ( although he wasnt that great throughout but had his moments)

Mjebri is just pure class. He glides on the pitch and he has quick turn of pace.Has to be on the bench for every game and get some game time.

Savage may not make here but has good technique. Iqbal has an outside chance to make it here as he looks like a player who will do very well when he is paired with better players. Fernandez is another great prospect but his defending at FB position has still not convinced me. Maybe we can find some other position for him because his on the ball attributes are way too good to be ignored

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think the whole team showed they belong amongst the best at this level with the performance.
I am a little bit surprised that Hannibal has taken so many plaudits though. He was very good second half but in the first I thought Iqbal was much better. His passing into the final third was top quality. Much of what we made went through him for a long period.
Yeah, Iqbal was much better in the first half. I think Savage deserves more praise too. He put in a really mature and composed performance. That’s what pleased me so much about the game. It wasn’t the usual story at this age with a couple of obvious stars and load of also rans. We had legitimate talent all over the pitch.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I went last night and was really impressed with the team. Unlucky to lose and ref really had it in for us and Hannibal in particular.

Fernandez at left back is absolutely brilliant. Luke Shaw won't be our main left back for much longer. He looks streets ahead in terms of on the ball and decision making.

Really promising signs.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
From all the hype and some people saying they’ve got several of the next group for the first team… me too.

we’ve been better team this half. Hannibal and Garnacho good to watch… hope they can kick on
They may have a couple of players who could step up, they certainly have the physicallity, a lot of United players seemed very skilful, good on the ball, and creative, just lacking the physical side of things. I would love to see a few of these step up over the next two or three seasons.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
We concede too much at this level, and when you do that, it's difficult to win even if you score two times or three. We played a good game but have some weaknesses in the team, the center backs are one and I never understand why Emeran is playing.
Defending is the most difficult part of a team to get right, players have to not only see where the ball is, but to watch the opponent's runs and also where their team mates are, that is why good defenders don't mature until late twenties, and can go on into late thirties.
Mengi could have made a difference, but realistically, our defenders didn't have a lot to do after the first 20-25 minutes, and the first 10 minutes of the second half.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Still, a good match, against a normally excellent academy conveyor belt, and we were robbed by the ref in injury time.
Apart from the first 20 minutes, I thought we controlled the game.

VDG17

Fernandez at left back is absolutely brilliant. Luke Shaw won't be our main left back for much longer. He looks streets ahead in terms of on the ball and decision making.

Really promising signs.
He has a lot of potential and I am very excited about him but I do really worry about him against a counter attack. Less than 20 minutes in somebody left him for dead on his blindside and he didn’t see it. He was also unable to do anything to prevent their first goal(perhaps slightly harsh). I worry that at the top level until he develops his positional awareness the quicker players will exploit him. That said he is very proactive defensively higher up the pitch which we do need in the first team.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I thought Savage actually had a great game. He links play well from the backs to the forwards, always available. Hannibal was everywhere 2nd half, but although he gets fouled a lot, he does lose his head at times. I think older players would know this and provoke a reaction from him - I would have done in my day

Yagami

Good post resistant
I went last night and was really impressed with the team. Unlucky to lose and ref really had it in for us and Hannibal in particular.

Really promising signs.
I'm assuming this is the first time you've seen Fernandez? If so, I can see why you're mistaken.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm assuming this is the first time you've seen Fernandez? If so, I can see why you're mistaken.
No it's not the first time. Seen him a few times. He's a really classy player so what are you even on about?

Yagami

Good post resistant
No it's not the first time. Seen him a few times. He's a really classy player so what are you even on about?
Fernandez is a really promising player. One of my favourites in the academy. However, he is not "streets ahead of Luke Shaw" at anything.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Fernandez is a really promising player. One of my favourites in the academy. However, he is not "streets ahead of Luke Shaw" at anything.
As an overall player he might not be yet but on the ball he is. That was my point. Fernandez drops his shoulder and moves elegantly with the ball. He also had a great range of passing. Far better than what Shaw has.

Obviously he's still got a lot of development in him given his age which is only natural but he's got every chance of being in our first team within the next 18-24 months.

MDFC Manager

I like Savage too. Always ready to receive the ball and good technique. Essential for a CM

Yagami

Good post resistant
As an overall player he might not be yet but on the ball he is. That was my point. Fernandez drops his shoulder and moves elegantly with the ball. He also had a great range of passing. Far better than what Shaw has.

Obviously he's still got a lot of development in him given his age which is only natural but he's got every chance of being in our first team within the next 18-24 months.
Like you, I rate him highly and hope to see him around the first team eventually, but I disagree with your rating of Shaw's ability on the ball. Shaw has showcased very good passing range, and is one of our only players capable of playing - and keeping the ball - in tight spaces. The (rare) times he decides to carry the ball he's pretty graceful in doing so, too.

I'm not saying Fernandez won't surpass him, though. I dunno if you remember him, but, a while back, I likened Fernandez to Filipe Luis who used to play for Atletico, and it's mainly because of his impressive ability on the ball. For me, Luis was an elite LB who was unfortunate he had an even better LB in Marcelo to compete with at International level, but I digress! He can definitely surpass Shaw but it won't be easy because I still think Shaw is a good player.

Mickson

Like you, I rate him highly and hope to see him around the first team eventually, but I disagree with your rating of Shaw's ability on the ball. Shaw has showcased very good passing range, and is one of our only players capable of playing - and keeping the ball - in tight spaces. The (rare) times he decides to carry the ball he's pretty graceful in doing so, too.

I'm not saying Fernandez won't surpass him, though. I dunno if you remember him, but, a while back, I likened Fernandez to Filipe Luis who used to play for Atletico, and it's mainly because of his impressive ability on the ball. For me, Luis was an elite LB who was unfortunate he had an even better LB in Marcelo to compete with at International level, but I digress! He can definitely surpass Shaw but it won't be easy because I still think Shaw is a good player.
I have to agree with this. I'm far from Shaw's biggest fan but he is really good on the ball and one of the few who can keep it under pressure and in tight spaces. Fernandez's final ball is much better than Shaw's though. However, Shaw's problems are in his head and mentality, not the footballing side.

RPT_Reddevil

My takeaways from the game:
  1. Mejbri was a class apart, specially in the second half. The way he just glided past players was such a joy to watch.
  2. Been really impressed by Garnacho's progress this year. Looks like a promising prospect. Strong & direct in attack. Has that aura of confidence around him at the moment. He was involved in majority of our attacks throughout the game.
  3. Savage had a pretty good game too. Spraying passes all around. Linking up the defense and the attack quite intelligently. Doing the simple things effectively and consistently. Really looking forward to how he develops.
  4. Fernandez could develop into something special. Still some things in his game need to be sorted out defensively, but attacking wise as a wingback he had an amazing game.
  5. Iqbal, Shoretire, McNeil too were decent throughout the game.
  6. The substitutions could have been a little earlier but can understand why they were delayed. Hanson- Aaroen looked good as well.
  7. Overall we can hope that this loss would serve as a big learning curve for a lot of these players in their careers, as this was not the result we deserved.

Reactions: SilentWitness

Demaw

I think we paid 2 million for Emeran and never saw much in his game.

Demaw

Him and Mateo Mejia were so unlucky with injuries. 2 years of development lost.
Same now with Willy.
Agree Lenny, I am so sad about Mateo as he really came with huge wraps. Big, tall and fast. I saw his first game on 18's on MUTV and I remember going he looks really good and then bang, injuries. Same with Willy. Might have been against Everton?? He looked a man among boys in every facet and then injured. Noah reminded me of Ramazani etc good solid kid but never thought he would kick on. However, if we said 3 years ago Elanga would win us a game in the PL I would have said no. Anthony each season we watched got better and better, but honestly, he got a chance and took it. I wish Hannibal would get a run as well.

Mickson

Let's not pretend that Emeran has ever shown serious potential, injuries or not. I thought he was highly mediocre from day one. Elanga was always much better, same with Mejia and Willy from what I've seen. Emeran is one of the oldest players in the academy too and he is surely not here next season.