g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Evidently not given the majority we're going to get with what is quite literally a complete fecking idiot at the helm.
Whether you like BJ or not, if you compare him with JC he is a far more accomplished Leader and on the world stage I have no doubts about who would ensure we remain friends with our friends.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Whether you like BJ or not, if you compare him with JC he is a far more accomplished Leader and on the world stage I have no doubts about who would ensure we remain friends with our friends.
He’s currently getting his ass handed to him but Andrew Marr of all people.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Boris is a shambles. Marr is ripping him apart. If he does man up and go on Andrew Neil he’s going to get victimised.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
On the world stage he's a complete failure and by all accounts had to be kept in check because of things like what happened to nazanin zaghari ratcliffe.

Fluctuation0161

Totally disagree. Boris Johnson is the most incompetent world leader after Trump.

43 lies, gaffes and scandals that make Boris Johnson unfit to rule
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/37-lies-gaffes-scandals-make-18558695

What do you think after reading those?

These are also worth a read...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ran-libya-muslims-europe-sacked-a9016666.html

https://www.politico.eu/article/11-boris-johnson-diplomatic-gaffes/

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What has he accomplished? His persona is compared to Trump and we all know what his reputation is like around the world.

Volumiza

On the world stage he's a complete failure and by all accounts had to be kept in check because of things like what happened to nazanin zaghari ratcliffe.
I wasn’t championing his statesmanlike perfection, far from it, I agree the man could be a liability. It was just a straight comparison with JC and my view on who would be better dealing with geopolitical issues.

Shamwow

I wasn’t championing his statesmanlike perfection, far from it, I agree the man could be a liability. It was just a straight comparison with JC and my view on who would be better dealing with geopolitical issues.
He couldn't be any worse. He's got numerous feck ups on his record already. You aren't arguing from a place of logic. Just like how you believe he's secretly a moderate. Its just naivety.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth

Shamwow

I just get my head around how anybody could support this clown.

I mean, corbyn is far from perfect but in a straight choice between the two I’d choose Corbyn 100 times out of 100.
He at least looks like he can tie his own shoe laces.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I don't think he's accomplished anything as leader besides consistently getting voted down in commons and then proroguing parliament. He's a laughing stock and is just pure Trump-lite.

Depends who you class as our friends, really. Boris will keep us friendly with the Saudi regime and Trump, no doubt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...arliament-vote-mep-group-europe-a8535511.html

Stuff like the Tories being the only governing party in Western Europe to support far right politicians isn't exactly what I'd class as ensuring we remain friends with our friends, though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Eh? He's already demonstrated he's fecking terrible on the world platform with his abysmal role as foreign secretary.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think manifesto policies are only a small part of the decision voters have to make, as these plans are based on the assumption that everything goes smoothly. The much bigger part is weighing up how a government will react to events when they're in power - economic events, geopolitical events and domestic political events.

What happens if there's another huge recession in the next couple of years? All the manifesto pledges go out the window, so it's important to vote for a government you think is competent, adaptable and hopefully with values that broadly align with your own.

Richard Feynman said it well:
I think FDR showed how one can use a crisis, during a time when the workforce was already organised and angry, to do mass redistribution, and I think Corbyn's quoting of FDR shows he would do likewise. Contrast with Obama who's handling of the 2008 crisis has meant continued wage supprression and inequality.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol: who Boris? No he doesn’t!
He literally looks the opposite of that. If I saw him walking down the street I'd instantly look down at his feet and assume he's going to be wearing Velcro.

Fluctuation0161

Do you still hold that view after watching his "Diplomacy" constantly talking over Andrew Marr?

Imagine him taking that approach with other world leaders when dealing with serious geopolitical issues! Scary!

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Boris Johnson world stage leader :lol:

I have heard it all now.

He’s afraid to have a fecking Neil interview can you imagine holding talks with Putin or even Trump :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
During a 2017 select committee hearing the then-foreign secretary erroneously said Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe – still detained in Iran – was training journalists in the region. After Mr Johnson’s comments the 38-year-old Briton was hauled in front of an Iranian court and told her sentence could double.

He later faced calls to resign and issued an apology 12 days after his remarks. But his cabinet colleague Liam Fox had insisted that people should not overreact to “slips of the tongue”.
Mr Johnson raised eyebrows at the last hustings of the leadership contest after brandishing a smoked kipper on stage.

He waved the fish during a rant about “pointless, expensive, environmentally damaging” EU regulations, claiming that Brussels bureaucracy had "massively" increased costs for fish suppliers because of rules saying that their products must be transported in ice.

However, it later emerged that the regulations had, in fact, been introduced by the UK government, not by the EU.
Came under fire for describing Muslim women in burqas as looking like “bank robbers” and “letter boxes”.
In 2016, Boris Johnson won a £1,000 prize for a rude poem about the Turkish president having sex with a goat.

The poem, published by the Spectator magazine, offered the following limerick: "There was a young fellow from Ankara, Who was a terrific wankerer.

"Till he sowed his wild oats, With the help of a goat, But he didn't even stop to thankera."
Suggested that a rise in the number of Malaysian women attending university was down to their desire to find a husband. The comments came after the country’s prime minister had proudly told people at the World Islamic Economic Forum at City Hall, London, that 68% of women in Malaysia would be entering higher education that year. Johnson then interrupted him to suggest the female students “have got to find men to marry”.
Fired by the then Tory leader, Michael Howard, from positions as shadow arts minister and party vice-chairman for lying about his extramarital affair with Spectator columnist Petronella Wyatt. When it transpired that tabloid reports, which Johnson had dismissed as an “inverted pyramid of piffle”, were true, he had refused to resign.
Condemned for publishing an article as editor of the Spectator in which Liverpool fans were blamed for the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. While the article says the event was “undeniably” a tragedy, it adds: “That is no excuse for Liverpool’s failure to acknowledge, even to this day, the part played in the disaster by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground that Saturday afternoon.” It also claimed that people in Liverpool “wallow” in their “victim status”.
Compared same-sex marriage to polygamy and bestiality in his debut book, Friends, Voters, Countrymen. “If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men, or indeed three men and a dog,” said Johnson. Four years before, Johnson described gay men as “tank-topped bumboys” in his infamous Telegraph column.
The year after becoming the MP for Henley in Oxfordshire, Johnson used his Telegraph column to mock a visit to Africa by the then prime minister, Tony Blair. It predicted that when Blair “the tribal warriors” would “all break out in watermelon smiles”. He added that the Queen loved the Commonwealth “partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies”.
Caught on camera reciting a colonial-era poem by Rudyard Kipling in front of local dignitaries while on an official trip to Myanmar. Johnson, who was accused of “incredible insensitivity”, had been inside the sacred Buddhist site the Shwedagon Pagoda when he began murmuring the first verse of The Road to Mandalay, which includes the line: “The temple bells they say / Come you back you English soldier.”
Writing in 2017, Johnson said the Libyan city of Sirte — large parts of which were destroyed during a brutal civil war — could be the new Dubai, adding: "All they have to do is clear the dead bodies away."

He subsequently refused to apologise for the comments.
Johnson was described as "out of touch" after discussing the export of Scotch whisky during a visit to a Sikh temple.

He told gathered worshippers: "Whenever we go to India, to Mumbai or to Delhi, we have to bring 'clinkie' in our luggage.

"We have to bring Johnnie Walker, we have to bring whisky because as you may know there is a duty of 150% in India on imports of Scotch whisky so we have to bring it in duty free for our relatives. But imagine what we could do if there was a free trade deal with India – which there will be."

Some Sikh teachings consider alcohol to be prohibited. A worshipper at the temple shouted at Johnson, saying that his comments were "absolutely outrageous" and said alcohol "is against our religion."
In a speech reflecting on his first three months as foreign secretary, Johnson referred to Africa as "that country."

"Life expectancy in Africa has risen astonishingly as that country has entered the global economic system," he told an audience at the Conservative Party conference.
In 2015, the Mayor of London Boris Johnson managed to flatten an opponent in what was supposed to be an informal game of rugby in Tokyo.

The player he tackled was a ten-year-old Japanese schoolboy Toki Sekiguch.

"I'm so sorry," Johnson told the shocked child afterwards.

As an MP, Johnson was forced to issue a grovelling apology to the country of Papua New Guinea after he linked it to "cannibalism and chief-killing" in his newspaper column.

Johnson wrote in the Telegraph: "For 10 years we in the Tory party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing and so it is with a happy amazement that we watch as the madness engulfs the Labour party."

He was later forced to apologise.

In 2005, Johnson wrote in the Spectator that he believed it was only "natural" for the public to be scared of Islam.

"To any non-Muslim reader of the Koran, Islamophobia — fear of Islam — seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke," he wrote.

In 2005, when he was campaigning to become the MP for Henley-on-Thames, Johnson said: "Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3."
In a piece marking his resignation from the Spectator, Johnson wrote: "Once the fire is going well, you may find your eyes drifting to the lovely striped chesterfield across the room. Is it the right size, you wonder, for a snooze. . . ?"

"You come round in a panic, to find a lustrous pair of black eyes staring down at you. Relax. It's only Kimberly [Quinn, then the Spectator's publisher] with some helpful suggestions for boosting circulation."

He advised his successor to "pat her on the bottom and send her on her way."
Johnson waded into a debate over sexism in 2005 to defend Tim Hunt, a scientist who called for single-sex laboratories because "girls" are more likely to cry.

Writing in the Telegraph, Johnson wrote: "Is there any foundation to this casual assertion that women cry more readily than men?

"Well, yes, there is."

In 2001, while he was editor of the Spectator magazine, Johnson published a piece suggesting a former friend and colleague had worked for the British secret service.

Johnson published a piece alleging that Agent Smallbrow, an MI6 agent, was Dominic Lawson, who was then editor of the Sunday Telegraph.

Lawson, who denied ever having been an agent, accused Johnson of putting journalists' lives at risk.

As for ensuring we remain friends with the Americans:

Describing Hillary Clinton in his column, he wrote: “She’s got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital.”
Suggested the “part-Kenyan” US president Barack Obama had an “ancestral dislike” of the UK.
This is the guy that is accomplished on the world stage and will be fine with geopolitical issues...

Smores

With respect you must be incredibly ignorant of past events to reach that conclusion. Our own civil servants had serious concerns about him during his role as foreign secretary and so did other nations.

America under Trump and maybe Hungary and Saudi are the only ones who might prefer him.

Smores

Anyone able to give the rundown on Marr and sunday politic interviews?

Reading liveblogs it seemed like a good one for Corbyn and average to poor for Boris. Aware they don't provide accurate context.

I think Corbyn fell into the trap in saying they shouldn't as a rule serve full term the papers will love that. He answered the trap of shoot to kill well and anti-semitism his answer was much better.

I just get my head around how anybody could support this clown.

I mean, corbyn is far from perfect but in a straight choice between the two I’d choose Corbyn 100 times out of 100.
mans yet there are many who would vote Boris 100 times out of 100 over Corbyn. At least you have acknowledged that Corbyn is an issue, many cannot and just blame the media as propping up the Tory government.

the reality is that neither leader is good enough, but a Corbyn government would be a disaster and the sooner he goes, the sooner we can have a credible opposition that will hold the govt. to account and offer a genuine choice. For the middle ground (where the majority of rational people sit), Corbyn and McDonnel would be a disaster. If you just want some noise and to be a protest group, then the incumbent is perfect, a leader he will never be.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Labour policies are very or overwhelmingly popular, and the #1 reason cited by labour voters in 2017 was their policies (for Tories it was either Brexit it keeping corbyn out).

Classical Mechanic

Boris Johnson world stage leader :lol:

I have heard it all now.

He’s afraid to have a fecking Neil interview can you imagine holding talks with Putin or even Trump :lol:
To be fair, Putin or Trump wouldn't ever put themselves into an interview with someone like Andrew Neil either. Boris has actually copied Putin's public 'scrutiny' technique by answering prearranged questions on a medium they control, in his case on the Tory Facebook page. The worrying thing is that the Boris and the Tories are trying to behave like these strongman autocratic (in Trump's case wannabe) leaders.

Anyone able to give the rundown on Marr and sunday politic interviews?
it wasn’t good, but the sort of typical interview you see all the time these days. Marr talking over Boris, and the Boris generally ignoring the question and talking rubbish, and even if he had a coherent point Marr would interrupt him and talk over him. We have reached a point where these interviews are largely pointless.

Volumiza

With respect you must be incredibly ignorant of past events to reach that conclusion. Our own civil servants had serious concerns about him during his role as foreign secretary and so did other nations.

America under Trump and maybe Hungary and Saudi are the only ones who might prefer him.
I’m not endorsing him or ignorant of his past errors of judgment or choice of words, more a case of which pile of shit I’d prefer.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This is the guy that is accomplished on the world stage and will be fine with geopolitical issues...
Piling up that much twattery would be an astonishing feat for a small party, let alone one man. And it's just selected examples.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is an absolute shambles at world stage.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
To be fair, Putin or Trump wouldn't ever put themselves into an interview with someone like Andrew Neil either. Boris has actually copied Putin's public 'scrutiny' technique by answering prearranged questions on a medium they control, in his case on the Tory Facebook page. The worrying thing is that the Boris and the Tories are trying to behave like these strongman autocratic (in Trump's case wannabe) leaders.
If he cannot stand up to a journalist how can you expect him to stand up to someone with real power?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
mans yet there are many who would vote Boris 100 times out of 100 over Corbyn. At least you have acknowledged that Corbyn is an issue, many cannot and just blame the media as propping up the Tory government.

the reality is that neither leader is good enough, but a Corbyn government would be a disaster and the sooner he goes, the sooner we can have a credible opposition that will hold the govt. to account and offer a genuine choice. For the middle ground (where the majority of rational people sit), Corbyn and McDonnel would be a disaster. If you just want some noise and to be a protest group, then the incumbent is perfect, a leader he will never be.
Miliband offered that and you guys still voted the Tories in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.