UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Safe in the knowledge that he can’t get his commie hands on that big ass villa in Oz hey Pidgy!
I haven't read into it but I'd imagine I'll need to pay some sort of fees here onto top of whatever needs to be paid in Kangaroo Land. Haven't read into it because it would frankly be a morbid thing to do.

That info must've been redacted from the Pigeon Papers.
Clearly someone is on the labour payroll
Both of you are asking questions that you should probably stop asking. Those photos of me at Hitler's penthouse were photoshopped.

Crikey, you can become an evil landlord.

Labour have to be realistic though- their manifesto is radical enough for most without actually commandeering your inherited property.
I would were it not for my severe dislike of landlords. And I imagine that tenants are arseholes too. Actually, I dislike people in general tbf.

But if taking a big chunk of my inheritance means that the wealth gets shared and it can go towards helping people who need it more than I do then, yes, I genuinely don't give a shit because at the end of the day I'll still have enough to pass down to my kids. That's not altruistic, it's just fair. I've benefitted from free prescriptions and education in this country, and the roads are only 80% covered in potholes, and the daily giant wasp armies now only come once a week. Plus my dad would come back to life and throttle me for being a, I imagine in his words, "a Tory cnut".

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I haven't read into it but I'd imagine I'll need to pay some sort of fees here onto top of whatever needs to be paid in Kangaroo Land. Haven't read into it because it would frankly be a morbid thing to do.

Both of you are asking questions that you should probably stop asking. Those photos of me at Hitler's penthouse were photoshopped.

I would were it not for my severe dislike of landlords. And I imagine that tenants are arseholes too. Actually, I dislike people in general tbf.

But if taking a big chunk of my inheritance means that the wealth gets shared and it can go towards helping people who need it more than I do then, yes, I genuinely don't give a shit because at the end of the day I'll still have enough to pass down to my kids. That's not altruistic, it's just fair. I've benefitted from free prescriptions and education in this country, and the roads are only 80% covered in potholes, and the daily giant wasp armies now only come once a week. Plus my dad would come back to life and throttle me for being a, I imagine in his words, "a Tory cnut".
One issue I have with inheritance tax is that we have one of the worst pension systems in the developed world and you need a crazy amount to have anything approaching a mediocre retirement.
Inheriting their parents' property is many people's only hope on that front.

No matter how often some views are bebunked, they keep coming back.

I'm not going to write an essay, but the short version is that if a service is underfunded, it will get worse. This is generally what happens whenever we get tory governments. Those same Tories then say 'look how rubbish it is, it must be privatised'. Then the service levels may go up slightly, but the costs go up far more. Had the same expenditure been put into the railways under the nationally owned model, improvements would have been greater. It is a myth that the private sector is more efficient than the public sector.
Underfunded can also come about from a massive hike in costs, as usually happens under state ownership.

Like @MikeUpNorth said, it's unlikely to make much difference. UK railways are about equal with Europe aside from cost, which is purely down to the level of subsidies.

Flying high

Underfunded can also come about from a massive hike in costs, as usually happens under state ownership.

Like @MikeUpNorth said, it's unlikely to make much difference. UK railways are about equal with Europe aside from cost, which is purely down to the level of subsidies.
Costs like fair pay for staff and adequate safety standards? Worth paying.

Costs like profit for shareholders and directors who have squeezed every penny they can at the expense of staff/safety/environment etc? Not as worth it.

finneh

One issue I have with inheritance tax is that we have one of the worst pension systems in the developed world and you need a crazy amount to have anything approaching a mediocre retirement.
Let's be honest... It's criminal how generations of pensions over the last few decades were hijacked to fund current day political promises.

We should have a trillion pound ring fenced sovereign wealth fund funded via hypothecated pension contributions since WW2 whereby people are being paid their own pensions.

The worst is yet to come of course as we have a 14 figure black hole.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is probably where we divert paths because I'm public sector and pay into a private pension that'll end up being more than the basic government one. Sure, I get paid less for my job compared to the private sector but I'm the long term I might be better off.

Unless I get hit by a bus tomorrow, which would be kind of shit tbh.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
:lol:
Look at Mr Pigeon with his two houses, and living in colour and black & white.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is probably where we divert paths because I'm public sector and pay into a private pension that'll end up being more than the basic government one. Sure, I get paid less for my job compared to the private sector but I'm the long term I might be better off.

Unless I get hit by a bus tomorrow, which would be kind of shit tbh.
A bus paid for by your taxes :mad:

Sweet Square

Seems a couple of cafe members in this thread have twitter accounts.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
And with his final salary pension scheme.
I wish it was final salary. It was until about 2013 before they decided to say "haha not for you young man, you're not getting that deal". But ach, shit happens.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Stop moaning, Goldfinger.

TheReligion

Abusive
The issue I have with inheritance tax is why should anyone take away something which is legally yours and your families. It has been paid for on a salary that has already been taxed. It's really no bodies business to take anything left to you from your parents from you.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The issue I have with inheritance tax is why should anyone take away something which is legally yours and your families. It has been paid for on a salary that has already been taxed. It's really no bodies business to take anything left to you from your parents from you.
So inheritance tax should be skipped by a generation? E.g. if your parents inherited it then you have no claim to it as your parents didn't pay for it via their own salary

TheReligion

Abusive
So inheritance tax should be skipped by a generation? E.g. if your parents inherited it then you have no claim to it as your parents didn't pay for it via their own salary
I wasn't really thinking that no but it's a fair point. Essentially I don't think ramping up taxes or forcing people to sell homes they have inherited at a cut price, is fair. I get who they are trying to target however you'll capture a lot of everyday working class people who as mentioned earlier will take home a pittance of a pension which their inheritance would be used to bump up.

There's enough taxation elsewhere.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I wasn't really thinking that no but it's a fair point. Essentially I don't think ramping up taxes or forcing people to sell homes they have inherited at a cut price, is fair. I get who they are trying to target however you'll capture a lot of everyday working class people who as mentioned earlier will take home a pittance of a pension which their inheritance would be used to bump up.

There's enough taxation elsewhere.
I agree that ramping up taxes and forcing people out of their homes is not what anyone wants. We just need to find a happy medium somewhere and it's not quite as simple as just having great parents who are nice little savers in a lot of cases.

We currently have over half the land in the country owned by 1%. So they're perhaps is some room for more taxation to even it out.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've received far more bloody Brexit Party literature through the post than from any other party. Fuhrer Farage has invaded Wales.
They knocked on my door the other day, at least Labour only send me mail.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Because some of us realise that all has to be paid for.

Some of us also remember when things like the railways were last nationalised, and they were a damn sight worse than they are now. A lot of people in here think nationalisation is a magic pill.
Aren't the government subsidising the railway industry anyway?

We also have foreign governments running train companies in the UK.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There was a successful intervention in Sierra Leone too wasn't there?
Indeed - for as much as the Iraq War was clearly disastrous and a terrible idea in retrospect interventionism didn't have the same stain it does now and Blair undoubtedly felt buoyed by his previous successes at the time. While I think he has to take culpability for his mistakes and for his complete misjudgment of Iraq and the US regime he was dealing with, I don't think the initial entry into Iraq was necessarily cynical on his part, even if the methods achieved to ensure invasion often were; I think he genuinely thought he was doing good. It will forever be the main stain on his spell as PM in general, but as far as intentions went there were probably domestic policies that were more ill-intentioned at their point of introduction.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd argue inheritance tax is fine but that it should have a fairly high starting point. I don't necessarily think it should hit moderately well-off people who nevertheless aren't what you'd describe as rich, and who could potentially be left in a difficult situation with a heavy tax; when it gets to genuinely rich, high-earners though, I think it's absolutely fair game; plenty of rich families coast off their wealth for generations without having to really earn it at all, and while I don't think they should be stripped of that wealth entirely, they should be expected to contribute substantially to maintaining an upholding a system which benefits them massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.