UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDeSchmikes

That seems possible.....though wouldn’t it totally undermine the whole “get brexit done” line the Tories have sold this election on? Suppose once they’re in power it doesn’t matter
First thing is Corbyn will be gone (so that's a win for Johnson and Swinson), second a referendum of Johnson's deal (which Remain will win imo).

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I miss 'This Week' on the BBC. Andrew Neil is still around doing his serious stuff, but there's a definite lack of piss-taking this election, and all the factions seem determined to set themselves up for it.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
I can’t get my head around my auntie mate. Vegan, goes on anti fox hunting marches. Voting Tory.
If she’s bought into it there’s no amount of persuasion going to change that. There’s a lot of people indoctrinated unfortunately. This is the first thing they told us when canvassing. If you see that there’s no logical argument coming back from the person in front of you, thank them for their time, throw a “I hope you change your mind” and mark it down to never visit again.

I on the other hand have my own theory which I’ve been testing on Facebook. If lies and half truths is what they respond to just feed them more lies. Start with a big lie and then end with a truth of sorts to make the focus shift from the rest. Tell her Boris killed a fox with his own bare hands. He slapped his vegan girlfriend with a pork chop and told her to eat proper food. Then throw some element of truth in there to reinforce the lie and say that’s why the police went round to his flat that time it was in the papers.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
So they’ve got a high tax rate and a brilliant economy.

Sorry mate I’m really struggling with this.
It's very possible. Path dependency and what a country is good at is also very important.

Singapore and Germany have been two of the greatest economic success stories in the past 50 years, and they've done it in completely different ways because the country had different strengths.

If you think we can raise taxes and suddenly get a German or Norwegian economy I disagree, I don't think it's possible and it doesn't play to our strengths as a nation.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
the two things are not related.

no one is asking for sympathy.

I’m just explaining, and I understand that it’s counterintuitive that an increase in the tax rate can decrease the overall tax that HMRC receive.

of you said to me would you rather work an extra 2 weekends this month and get taxed at 60% or spend it with your family, I choose family. But if you said I’d only get taxed at 40% I would work. Because of the tax rate, o decide not to work, HMRC take less tax and the government can’t spend as much on public services.

it’s looking at the actually effect of the policy. If the effect of a tax increase actually results in less tax overall - how is that a good policy?
It's definitely true that the hump in taxes between 100k - 125k has to disincentivise work at that level to at least some extent. IMO the best way of removing the disincentive would be to start the clawback of the personal allowance earlier - at say 50k per year and at a rate of £1 lost for every £6 earned. Still means your dude earning £125k gets taxed pretty much the same, just removes the level he can point to and proclaim - "here lieth the disincentive."

Rafaeldagold

This is such an important election. Hoping for the best, realistically expecting the worst & Brexit to be confirmed.

If it does it’s just the last throes of the boomers, so keep fighting remainers & we’ll be back in the EU soon & the Tories will forever be tainted by Brexit

Dante

Average bang
At a very superficial level, it looks like Labour have sucked up Lib Dem voters and the Tories have sucked up Brexit Party voters. The Greens have remained consistent.

You could pretty much stick a line of reflection at y=21.

It could come down to whichever of Lab/Con is better at convincing their mirror party voters to switch allegiance.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
you are a tool - I even stated in my post that this was in relation to pensions in this example. I’ve not claimed it was income tax.

One would have though you could understand an example where groups of people are disincentivized to work due to taxes shows that increasing income tax can stop people working.

Did you read the FT article?
Oi, I'm not a tool...... Tools are useful.

The whole NHS consultants issue is because some are, due to the absolute mess of the way their scheme works, being charged over 100% of what they earn. The pension system itself is a mess that hasn't been fixed for three years.

I can't read the FT article as it's behind a paywall but this isn't what we were discussing. You were equating a 60% income tax rate putting people off making more money with consultants refusing to take on more work because of a even higher taxation rate than 60%. That's where you were being disingenuous. That was my point.

It's definitely true that the hump in taxes between 100k - 125k has to disincentivise work at that level to at least some extent. IMO the best way of removing the disincentive would be to start the clawback of the personal allowance earlier - at say 50k per year and at a rate of £1 lost for every £6 earned. Still means your dude earning £125k gets taxed pretty much the same, just removes the level he can point to and proclaim - "here lieth the disincentive."
Finally have a sensible suggestion that actually looks to solve the issue of the cliff edge. Although it does increase the tax burden on those earning £50k plus?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I would have basic income coupled with reverse thresholds.

Everyone gets 15k per year but then everyone's first 60k in earnings are taxed at 40%. Between 60k-100k 30% and above 100k 20%. Solves the problem of people not having anything and always an incentive to earn more.

SuperiorXI

Im confused... the Conservatives have had such a terrible campaign. Why are they in the lead?

It's like giving the league title to Scunthorpe United under 8s.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
At a very superficial level, it looks like Labour have sucked up Lib Dem voters and the Tories have sucked up Brexit Party voters. The Greens have remained consistent.
That and the Brexit Party decided to stop being a real political party and more of a lobby group by declaring to back the Conservatives instead.

Rafaeldagold

Im confused... the Conservatives have had such a terrible campaign. Why are they in the lead?

It's like giving the league title to Scunthorpe United under 8s.
Not sure, it’s because people buy the Sun & believe what it tells them. It’s poor education, apathy. People have this weird thing of voting against their own interests too- like it’s more sensible or some bollocks ‘ oh yes Rich Tory please give me more austerity!! It’s the only possible way forward’

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
the two things are not related.

no one is asking for sympathy.

I’m just explaining, and I understand that it’s counterintuitive that an increase in the tax rate can decrease the overall tax that HMRC receive.

of you said to me would you rather work an extra 2 weekends this month and get taxed at 60% or spend it with your family, I choose family. But if you said I’d only get taxed at 40% I would work. Because of the tax rate, o decide not to work, HMRC take less tax and the government can’t spend as much on public services.

it’s looking at the actually effect of the policy. If the effect of a tax increase actually results in less tax overall - how is that a good policy?
Well, surely there's a middle ground amongst all of this?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Finally have a sensible suggestion that actually looks to solve the issue of the cliff edge. Although it does increase the tax burden on those earning £50k plus?
Yeah, it would - equating to an extra 3.3% on the marginal rate. It would also make for a bigger overall tax take. If you wanted to keep the revenue equivalent you could do the maths and drop the rate accordingly (e.g. say £1 in 12 up to 80k, £1 in 6 thereafter).

I guess the Thump manifesto would be hoping folk earning over £50k wouldn't mind paying a teensie-weensie bit more as long as it came with heaps of praise and a begging bowl.

SuperiorXI

Not sure, it’s because people buy the Sun & believe what it tells them. It’s poor education, apathy. People have this weird thing of voting against their own interests too- like it’s more sensible or some bollocks ‘ oh yes Rich Tory please give me more austerity!! It’s the only possible way forward’
My Dad is voting Tory. I have had endless debates with him and he believes I have been corrupted by the media... no matter the factual data I use to back up my arguments.

He thinks the BBC are left wing, completely blind to all of the obvious bias that has been going on.

The thing is, my Dad is not stupid, he's an intelligent man. I am perplexed as to how he has been convinced to vote for them.

A few people I have spoken to have said they like Boris, they like his straight talking. How have they been tricked into liking this pantomine character? It's the biggest con in living memory.

Bear in mind, I live in Wythenshawe which is historically Labour. There exists these opinions even here and I don't understand it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Final Survation is an 11 point lead, which is a gain for Labour since the previous one but still daunting.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

If true could be key for depriving the Tories of seats in Scotland.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
In what sense would you get a lower tax revenue?
Well you have to start with the basic premise that government policies influence human behaviour, and therefore that higher tax rates on individuals (and businesses) do not automatically result in higher revenues for the government. Indeed, history shows that high marginal tax rates on those in the highest earning bracket produces less revenue from said earners for the government. At a certain point, high tax rates on those with high incomes simply led to those incomes being invested in various tax-free schemes, with the revenue from them being completely lost to the government, and the investments lost to the economy.

It all depends on what the rate actually is in other words. The question that should be asked is whether people really prefer the symbolism of higher tax rates, or the substance of higher tax revenue?

All in all, I'd just prefer it if people were much more aware of facts. Then the rhetoric from either side wouldn't hold as much sway.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive

Everyone gets 15k per year but then everyone's first 60k in earnings are taxed at 40%. Between 60k-100k 30% and above 100k 20%. Solves the problem of people not having anything and always an incentive to earn more.
What?!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Absolutely feck off.

“the best and brightest won’t put any extra in if we tax over 100k”

two posts later @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg is himself suggesting he stops working as hard and “spends time with his family” when he gets to 100k. We’ve seen your posts. You’re not the best or brightest at anything mate. The very idea that innovation won’t occur unless the rich pay smaller tax is mental.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

So the poorest in the country get taxed out of their arse? Yep I can see why you vote Tory.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Absolutely feck off.

“the best and brightest won’t put any extra in if we tax over 100k”

two posts later @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg is himself suggesting he stops working as hard and “spends time with his family” when he gets to 100k. We’ve seen your posts. You’re not the best or brightest at anything mate. The very idea that innovation won’t occur unless the rich pay smaller tax is mental.
I like the idea of somebody earning 100k wanting to deliberately not spend time with their family if they can earn a bit more.
Their family must be a proper sour bunch.

pacifictheme

Surely a wum. What an awful post if not.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well you have to start with the basic premise that government policies influence human behaviour, and therefore that higher tax rates on individuals (and businesses) do not automatically result in higher revenues for the government. Indeed, history shows that high marginal tax rates on those in the highest earning bracket produces less revenue from said earners for the government. At a certain point, high tax rates on those with high incomes simply led to those incomes being invested in various tax-free schemes, with the revenue from them being completely lost to the government, and the investments lost to the economy.

It all depends on what the rate actually is in other words. The question that should be asked is whether people really prefer the symbolism of higher tax rates, or the substance of higher tax revenue?

All in all, I'd just prefer it if people were much more aware of facts. Then the rhetoric from either side wouldn't hold as much sway.
Where did you get that it produced lower? I found that it produces more, just not as much as governments tend to estimate they will raise, again though if you shut loop holes to stop people avoiding paying the tax they should then you will prevent a lot of this.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Time to take a stand against the greed and the lies spouted by a vicious tory party whose sole aim is to destroy the weakest in society, the sick, the disabled, the homeless, the poor. Make your vote count and get rid of these wankers.

Virgil

My personal take on why JC's message is not hitting home is that, other than the young, most folks do not believe his vision can be delivered any more than the other sides can. Now how does it go. All we have to do is hit the rich a damned sight harder and we can solve all of our ills with those of us on 50K or less not feeling one iota of financial pain. What utter tripe. How can anyone seriously think (yet they do if I read this thread correctly) that the problems of the NHS, Social Care, Disabled, Poor and Police to name 5 off the top of my head. Plus give free bus transport to a swathe of young folks, refund the WASPI's, Renationalise the utility companies and part of the railways etc etc can be achieved without increasing the tax take on us all is beyond belief. And once you accept that truth what those on the left of the political spectrum are up against is that most folk, without being nasty, are generally speaking inward looking. What counts the most for all of us is 'me and mine' and to be honest I find nowt wrong with that opinion at all. Actually its a view I subscribe to on the basis that if I don't look out for myself then no bugger else will. Blair knew it thats why he positioned the party as he did. Corbyn just like Foot never learnt. Utopia exists only in our imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.