UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
They gained 5% in 2017. That's my point - they gained a lot but it was masked by greater Labour gains, which have now evaporated. That's why looking at their smaller gain tonight doesn't tell the whole story.
They only gained what they’d lost to the kippers from 2015. People went to kippers then and Conservatives won a majority. Kippers collapsed and people went back to their own parties in 2017. Brexit was the factor for all of this, it cannot be denied. It couldn’t be brushed under the carpet because the people voting for it were duped to unbelievable inception levels and have made the EU scapegoat for all Tory ills inflicted upon this country. Now they’ve voted Tories to push through with it. As I said, inception levels of deception.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
This has been a great night. Not quite as good as the referendum but fantastic nonetheless.

Abizzz

The good news is those water cannons Boris bought can finally be made legal and will likely get some use too :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A *lot* of places with the total failure of tactical voting, especially since Labour's voteshare has held up better than the seats would indicate.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They only gained what they’d lost to the kippers from 2015. People went to kippers then and Conservatives won a majority. Kippers collapsed and people went back to their own parties in 2017. Brexit was the factor for all of this, it cannot be denied. It couldn’t be brushed under the carpet because the people voting for it were duped to unbelievable inception levels and have made the EU scapegoat for all Tory ills inflicted upon this country. Now they’ve voted Tories to push through with it. As I said, inception levels.
Tory 2010 vote - 36.1%
Tory 2015 vote - 36.9%
Tory 2017 vote - 42.4%

So your idea doesn't stack up, as they're going to have 7/8% more vote-share compared to 2010, when there was minimal UKIP vote.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They gained 5% in 2017. That's my point - they gained a lot but it was masked by greater Labour gains, which have now evaporated. That's why looking at their smaller gain tonight doesn't tell the whole story.
Sometime later I'd like to see the "flow" charts or from 2010-15-17-19, showing not swings but from where voters have gone where.

Ubik

Sometime later I'd like to see the "flow" charts or from 2010-15-17-19, showing not swings but from where voters have gone where.
Yeah the churn will be crazy, and somehow the Tories have managed to skim off the economically conservative Lib Dems (allowing them to rout the south west) and the socially conservative Labour voters (doing the same to the midlands and north) whilst giving away little of their own outside of London.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So how many seats were won through 'tactical voting' then?

I've just seen a bunch of results and the takeaway is awful. The LD+Lab voteshare decline is about 4%, while the Tory +BXP voteshare gain is about 3%. A 7% swing in votes has produced a 45-seat gain for the Tories and a remarkable 60+ seat loss for Labour, with only 1 Lib gain.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Yeah the churn will be crazy, and somehow the Tories have managed to skim off the economically conservative Lib Dems (allowing them to rout the south west) and the socially conservative Labour voters (doing the same to the midlands and north) whilst giving away little of their own outside of London.
not trying to be a fool but the situation is more recoverable for labour going forward than 2015 imo. in terms of voteshare, looks like Labour will end around 33%, while in 2015 it was 30%. The problem is what you described (the consolidated Tory vote) compared to 2015, but there is a seemingly-solid floor to build from here.

hobbers

All the deluded noises from momentum and corbyn and thornberry must be pretty terrifying for all sane labour members.

Im surprised so many working class areas voted conservstive, talk about shooting yourself in foot.

Ubik

not trying to be a fool but the situation is more recoverable for labour going forward than 2015 imo. in terms of voteshare, looks like Labour will end around 33%, while in 2015 it was 30%. The problem is what you described (the consolidated Tory vote) compared to 2015, but there is a seemingly-solid floor to build from here.
Not sure about solid floor. There's lot of wasted votes in there and a lot of former marginals with now massive Tory majorities. Question is how permanent those new Tory voters are, or whether it was just a toxic combination of Corbyn and Brexit for this election.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure about solid floor. There's lot of wasted votes in there and a lot of former marginals with now massive Tory majorities. Question is how permanent those new Tory voters are, or whether it was just a toxic combination of Corbyn and Brexit for this election.
ya i'm not sure who can win back the voters while keeping the party together. idelogically left or centre, and remain or leave, i'm not sure which would work at all. i personally think momentum shouldn't try this time, they'll tie the next momentum candidate to corbyn and finish her off.

Dr. StrangeHate

If it was again people voting against their interests then I hope there are proper consequences this time. Scale back of benefits, NHS privatisation, increase land lord protections, buy-to-let tax relief, spending cuts for the police, road maintenance, libraries, courts, prisons and housing assistance for seniors, reduced immigration to completely decimate the already short staffed NHS, etc. I really hope the Torries come through this time with what they stand for.

Can't wait for Trump 2020.

Zlatattack

If it was again people voting against their interests then I hope there are proper consequences this time. Scale back of benefits, NHS privatisation, increase land lord protections, buy-to-let tax relief, spending cuts for the police, road maintenance, libraries, courts, prisons and housing assistance for seniors, reduced immigration to completely decimate the already short staffed NHS, etc. I really hope the Torries come through this time with what they stand for.

Can't wait for Trump 2020.
I'm glad work pay for private healthcare.

caid

Pretty surprised by the scale of the win. I'd say bad luck but ... it seems you want this? I guess not this forum specifically which is obviously really unrepresentative. I feel very, very out of touch with the thinking that gave that much support to the Conservatives. It feels a lot more significant than one single issue and I think dismissing voters as stupid is probably the biggest mistake you could take from this result. Really don't know what to make of it really. Certainly makes me question how moderate the Irish population is on some of these issues. Or what moderate is these days.

DavidDeSchmikes

Tories gain Dudley North
Tories win Buckingham

DAGENHAM & RAINHAM
Lab hold

Dennis Skinner has lost

Gauke didn't make it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
ya i'm not sure who can win back the voters while keeping the party together. idelogically left or centre, and remain or leave, i'm not sure which would work at all. i personally think momentum shouldn't try this time, they'll tie the next momentum candidate to corbyn and finish her off.
There was a geezer, forgot his name (not a good start I know) but he was definitely knighted. Thought he was impressive whenever I heard him speak. Dunno, just a feeling it could be him.

Hephaestus

There was a geezer, forgot his name (not a good start I know) but he was definitely knighted. Thought he was impressive whenever I heard him speak. Dunno, just a feeling it could be him.
Guessing you mean Sir Keir Starmer. He's one of the favourites if I remember correctly.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
I have just seen the result in MK North & South. No fecking chance even with all the other parties added. Momentum and Labour has wasted my time and money for no reason. This election was lost from the get go. I won’t be getting involved in politics anytime soon.

One thing I should say for those cnuting Lib Dems that in Wycombe with their fecking bar charts they managed to sway 6000+ votes and if they had been honest people would have backed Labour and got rid of Stebe Baker who managed to win on a 4000 vote majority.

Swinson losing her seat makes this terrible day bittersweet.

P.S. Guido PM me where I need to donate your £130 as I won’t be reading politics shite for a while so don’t fancy trawling this thread.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Gone 5am is a decent time to call it. I've mostly lurked on the thread because to be honest I'd rather not get into the political cut and thrust on the caf. For me it's clear there are a multitude of factors at play in Labour's awful election. Brexit (and the party's messy journey towards an imperfect position) and Corbyn's leadership are paramount but I'd also add
a general failure to get the Labour vote out in numbers outside of big cities and some nasty ideological factionalism that has by all accounts been going on behind the scenes since 2016. There have been various ructions about democracy in the party (trigger ballots, elected General Sec. etc.) but as with anti-semitism what proportion of blame Corbyn personally should cop for it is open to debate, which is why I feel it deserves a separate mention. Also a mention must go to the failure to get decent tactics in place between Labour, Lib Dems and Greens in certain seats, which would by no means have avoided the Tory majority but would have at least spared us the disgraceful spectacle of the Tories sneaking in in the same constituency as the Grenfell tower disaster.

Overall a complete mess for Labour (I've just seen Dennis Skinner lose by more than 5,000 votes for Christ's sake) and I would guess a long road back, which will be most painful for the most vulnerable in our society with Boris's Tories in full control.

Status
Not open for further replies.