UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
There's definitely discussion to be had. But I think the obvious excuses cover 80% of the actual reasons.
Someone will do an analysis of where BXP stood / stood down and how this affected Con/Lab. In some examples it's really obvious where the shifts were, but a full picture when all the results are in will be interesting.

Every single one of them are blaming it and banging on about "reflection".

They've got this completely wrong, of course Brexit was the biggest factor, but it's a complete lack of awareness to use it as an excuse. They screwed it up, big time. Totally missread the public opinion on that, Corbyn's popularity and god knows what else.

That's not a party who look to be actually "reflecting" with a view to change it's the same old soundbites and nothing more. Now we are fecked, and for a long time too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
But...but...it's ok for Corbyn not to have an opinion, nor details of his great plan.

It just makes a mockery of a lot of opinions on this.

The Labour party need to look at just how they got this so drastically wrong, not just use it as an excuse. Add to the list things like not getting through their skulls how unpopular Corbyn actually is, and the lack of dealing with the anti-semite issues quickly.
As an individual I can relate to Corbyn's position, but as a popular message it seemed profoundly stupid. Brexit is complicated enough as is, what was required was a simple message. It's not a simple problem but there's obviously no point in passing on that complexity to the voters. It just seemed like a denial of the fundamental reality of politics.

He wanted change and he's going to get it, just in a different way. Interesting to see how Labour re-position from this point. I suppose by the next election Brexit will still be there, but just an irrelevant nuisance, and they'll go back to the old battle grounds. But it'd be very surprising if they don't move much closer to the centre as a result.

Redlambs

I'm not saying you are, I just think we need to keep these issues in the minds of people because changing out Corbyn won't stop them. We really need to do something about the way press run the elections and campaigns of disinformation because they are anti-democratic in nature.
How are we going to do that without Labour in power, or at least a leadership ready to take them on? Or at least have some kind of idea about how to try!

These clowns have failed, what for the fourth time on the trot now? This time they've been absolutely humiliated.

Excuses cannot be allowed to cut it. Real hard changes are needed and Corbyn should absolutely not be involved in it. But he will, for a while yet. We are screwed.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hopefully Boris keeps to his word and backs the NHS rather than privatising it.
I’m definitely worried for the future though, brexit shouldn’t have been as big a factor as it seem to have been.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
They've got so much wrong. You and the others who were out deserve praise for trying though on our behalf.

Meanwhile another Labour guy talking reflection and blaming brexit. This is never going to end is it ffs.
To be fair it’s not difficult to see there’s not much swing to the Conservatives, it’s Brexit Party taking votes which has caused for the seats to change hands.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How will SNP force a Scottish independence referendum? They are legally bound to the constitution aren’t they?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
To be fair it’s not difficult to see there’s not much swing to the Conservatives, it’s Brexit Party taking votes which has caused for the seats to change hands.
The swing to the Tories happened in 2017. This time they kept what they gained and built on it, Labour crumbled.

Redlambs

As an individual I can relate to Corbyn's position, but as a popular message it seemed profoundly stupid. Brexit is complicated enough as is, what was required was a simple message. It's not a simple problem but there's obviously no point in passing on that complexity to the voters. It just seemed like a denial of the fundamental reality of politics.

He wanted change and he's going to get it, just in a different way. Interesting to see how Labour re-position from this point. I suppose by the next election Brexit will still be there, but just an irrelevant nuisance, and they'll go back to the old battle grounds. But it'd be very surprising if they don't move much closer to the centre as a result.
All night long I've been told they shouldn't and won't. It's frankly depressing people can't at least see this cannot go on.

There's even talk of brexit fecking the cons, but really? They'll just make their own excuses when it fecks up and people will lap them up. Meanwhile momentum will make another shit choice and Labour will be just as ineffective.

I’m worried for Labour. This isn’t going to be pretty.
They are well and truly fecked.

RK

Every single one of them are blaming it and banging on about "reflection".

They've got this completely wrong, of course Brexit was the biggest factor, but it's a complete lack of awareness to use it as an excuse. They screwed it up, big time. Totally missread the public opinion on that, Corbyn's popularity and god knows what else.

That's not a party who look to be actually "reflecting" with a view to change it's the same old soundbites and nothing more. Now we are fecked, and for a long time too.
I'm not really sure what you're saying, that Labour should've ran on a Leave platform?
In hindsight that might have improved tonight's results but realistically they've been in a lose-lose situation for years.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
How depressing this is - Wolverhampton gone from 3 out of 3 labour to 1 labour and 2 Tories.a Tory majority for the first time in 30 years!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Blair had the media.
If people think it's all just a coincidence then yeah it's going to be a struggle.
But either way I'm not sure how they'd approach changing that.
It’s upto political parties to have a message that the media will support. What’s so hard to understand about that?

UK media has not supported a true left minded Labour leader for 50 years! Why would that happen in 2019?!

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
The swing to the Tories happened in 2017. This time they kept what they gained and built on it, Labour crumbled.
Where was the swing, Labour greatly increased their majorities in 2017 on the back of the kipper collapse. Now BXP has taken back the kippers and more.

DavidDeSchmikes

Why didn't Labour (and Richard Burgon, Shadow Justice Secretary) highlight stuff like this more

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Caroline Lucas has been on the whiskey tonight. She sounds like my pisshead Aunt Annie.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
All night long I've been told they shouldn't and won't. It's frankly depressing people can't at least see this cannot go on.

There's even talk of brexit fecking the cons, but really? They'll just make their own excuses when it fecks up and people will lap them up. Meanwhile momentum will make another shit choice and Labour will be just as ineffective.

They are well and truly fecked.
I think it's normal to go through denial after this kind of loss in fairness. Let's let the dust settle and give people some time to reflect! The message from momentum and others is very jarring, and it does feel like people are living more firmly in their bubbles than ever before...but let's stay optimistic!

Redlambs

I'm not really sure what you're saying, that Labour should've ran on a Leave platform?
In hindsight that might have improved tonight's results but realistically they've been in a lose-lose situation for years.
Christ, I'm not going through this again. I've a hell of a lot of posts since last night, I might not always have been the clearest, but my thoughts are pretty consistent I feel.

Read some of them if you fancy it mate, I'm too tired to keep going round in circles. No disrespect to you meant by that btw, just been a long frustrating night.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’m done. Was fun wallowing in the blood bath with you all.

Viva la Boris :wenger:

Good night!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Where was the swing, Labour greatly increased their majorities in 2017 on the back of the kipper collapse. Now BXP has taken back the kippers and more.
They gained 5% in 2017. That's my point - they gained a lot but it was masked by greater Labour gains, which have now evaporated. That's why looking at their smaller gain tonight doesn't tell the whole story.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Another Tory cnut out but letting another in by the back door.
It's worse even than that, the 500-odd Green votes for Labour would have held the seat. I hate to be sniffy about smaller parties but honestly without PR voting if you're inclined to vote for the Greens outside of Brighton Pavilion you should vote Labour.

RK

Christ, I'm not going through this again. I've a hell of a lot of posts since last night, I might not always have been the clearest, but my thoughts are pretty consistent I feel.

Read some of them if you fancy it mate, I'm too tired to keep going round in circles. No disrespect to you meant by that btw, just been a long frustrating night.
Fair enough, it's a fast-paced thread.

Redlambs

I think it's normal to go through denial after this kind of loss in fairness. Let's let the dust settle and give people some time to reflect! The message from momentum and others is very jarring, and it does feel like people are living more firmly in their bubbles than ever before...but let's stay optimistic!
That's exactly right mate, they are in their bubble. But I'm not interested in giving them time, they've had plenty of that. And my frustrations, like most I guess, come from what we all knew would happen and what they all would say if they lost. You literally could write the script for every single one of them.

I have no faith they are actually going to reflect, and neither will their core base. But I guess we've got 5 years to watch them do nothing now.

Sorry, that's as positive as I get right now :lol:

DavidDeSchmikes

"I'm going to lose badly and this is the start of 20 years of Tory rule."
Gareth Snell lose his seat in Stoke-on-Trent Central before the result in Stoke was announced

Status
Not open for further replies.