UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
How in the absolute feck can nearly half of working class people vote Tory? It genuinely boggles the mind.
To be fair, the referendum has already shown us how many people are willing and eager to vote against their own interests.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How in the absolute feck can nearly half of working class people vote Tory? It genuinely boggles the mind.
Mad isn't it? 10 years of austerity and they still think Brexit is more important.

I wonder who people will blame when the post-Brexit economic downturn comes about.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I would interpret the trend as people tactically switching from the small parties to the main 2, with Brexit Party completely collapsing and Tories picking almost all of them up, while Lib Dems are also on a downtrend that is mirrored by a Labour uptrend, probably the issue of splitting the vote. Very surprising poll regarding class, but might be due to inclusion of pensioners as working class, and the working class leave vote going Tory. And Corbyn doing terribly personally in all polls. All pointing towards a significant Tory majority.
Brexit Party down is the main story, as you say. Farage does seem to have the ability to whip up support when he goes on the attack though, which would skew the Con/Lab split once again one way or another, I'd have thought. If he still has the enthusiasm for it he once had, which is starting to look a bit doubtful.

I can't believe people still go on about class. Is a train driver on £70k+ a year working class? Is it money or education, when we're set to have millions of graduates on average salaries or less? How many people in the south east are going to inherit the best part of a million, or more, when they sell their dead parent's house? Do they suddenly become middle class if they weren't before. It's bollocks for me.

edit: sorry, the Tory lead is really the main story, as you conclude.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Brave Sir Boris has swerved his Glastonbury visit, because of protesters.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Either piddock didn't get the memo or Abbott is leaking the manifesto
Labour accepting free movement though... Might as well stay in the single market... Plus they want to be in the customs union
Should probably have joined the remain alliance

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
When Daily Mail and The Sun are favoured publications across the country. You can see why.
I dare you to go in to Waitrose and shout 'Daily Mail readers are working class', they'd rip you apart limb from limb. There's two groups of people very sensitive to class distinction, far lefties and Daily Mail readers.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Because Brexit isn't all about economics, and that's something many on the Remain side fail to grasp.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Because they don't like foreigners, I thought that had been made clear about 40 pages ago.
That is one reason. Another is aspiration. Despite being a lifetime Labour voter, unfortunately most of their policies are routed in the past.
People want to improve their standard of living. That is natural. And it appears that the Tories policies resonate with aspiration.
They are also far better at the way they put their policies over - by being perfectly happy to lie their way to power.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Why should the government, any government care about how high the minimum wage is? It doesn't cost them anything, in fact the tax take increases.
Because the minimum wage law can also be properly described as a law saying that employers must discriminate against people who have low skills.

Let's keep increasing it and see how many companies we can put out of business.
:houllier:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That last graphic seems to imply that labour needs to appeal to more affluent people to win...
You know a centrist approach... Socially liberally but financially prudent... Erm blairish
Instead we have comrade jezbollah... Can see labour getting hammered and that graphic just reinforces the madness of the current approach

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
That is one reason. Another is aspiration. Despite being a lifetime Labour voter, unfortunately most of their policies are routed in the past.
People want to improve their standard of living. That is natural. And it appears that the Tories policies resonate with aspiration.
They are also far better at the way they put their policies over - by being perfectly happy to lie their way to power.
I disagree, they are a bunch of xenophobic racists who don't like foreigners.

DavidDeSchmikes

Who does actually decide what does go in the manifesto? Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell & Pidcock don't seem to know what is going to be in it and what was voted for at conference doesn't decide it either.

Is there some evil Mini-me behind the scenes manipulating democracy?
Len McCluskey?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Based on what they did with the last election numbers, they would be defining working class as DE+C2. DE votes Labour, while C2 (which I think refers to skilled labour like, say, building contractors) vote heavily Tory. That gets flipped in C1 (low/middle white collar workers?). AB is of course Tory.

Worth noting that the above are Yougov numbers, different from Ipsos - where DE voted Labour and everyone else was Tory.
https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2017-election

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Also, if retirees are included under E that will skew things massively (any excuse to re-post my favourite polling graph):

Maticmaker

Who does actually decide what does go in the manifesto? Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell & Pidcock don't seem to know what is going to be in it and what was voted for at conference doesn't decide it either.

Is there some evil Mini-me behind the scenes manipulating democracy?
Dominic Cummings on a job share scheme!

TheGame

What, by supporting international law?

What a bastard!
Does he not know he is seen as weak on defence and is in a media war which he is losing? He needs to be selective of what he says and how he says it. Look how this is being spun? Surely a media adviser should be advising him. The Tories are getting away with murder and he needs to keep the attention on their weaknesses.

MoskvaRed

Does he not know he is seen as weak on defence and is in a media war which he is losing? He needs to be selective of what he says and how he says it. Look how this is being spun? Surely a media adviser should be advising him. The Tories are getting away with murder and he needs to keep the attention on their weaknesses.
Corbyn is tone deaf to public opinion on certain issues. Same as when he started questioning May’s response to the Salisbury incident. He’s not necessarily wrong but it’s what happens when a backbencher in his late 60s who had never had to worry about PR has been suddenly put in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.