g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

How does everybody think the televised debate will go tonight?
BJ will come out on top I think. It looks like this is a Brexit election and to enough of the electorate Boris has a credible direction of travel whilst Jez is in absence of one. Boris will keep bringing the debate back to this single point and Jez will be isolated.

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

It'll be low quality. Fans of Corbyn will like what Corbyn says, fans of Boris will like what Boris says, but the majority of people will probably just feel depressed. Unless there's a major gaff from someone (which is more likely to come from Boris than Corbyn I would guess) I don't expect it to change that many minds.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I expect it’ll be garbage, but it has to be viewed by Corbyn as a massive chance to change the tide. He’s got to go for broke if he wants to win this election, I think the general public opinion of him is low enough that he needs the tv debates to change it. Johnson, on the other hand, just has to not feck up too bad. No guarantee of that though

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I expect it’ll be garbage, but it has to be viewed by Corbyn as a massive chance to change the tide. He’s got to go for broke if he wants to win this election, I think the general public opinion of him is low enough that he needs the tv debates to change it. Johnson, on the other hand, just has to not feck up too bad. No guarantee of that though
I think so too. A draw is no good to Labour. Well it's early enough in the campaign to get away with one now but at some time Labour has change things or they're out.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think so too. A draw is no good to Labour. Well it's early enough in the campaign to get away with one now but at some time Labour has change things or they're out.
I think it’s because there’s a general feeling of disenfranchisement with the whole thing, and if it stays that way with the public uninterested then things will fall with a Tory majority. Corbyn has to get people engaged with his vision and the tv debates have to be the way (as let’s be honest, he won’t get the support from the rest of the media)

Smores

I'm actually hoping Labour go boring tonight rather than trying to present themselves as radical. There's a huge bulk of people put off voting Tory by Boris so you need to let him embarrass himself and put a simple pitch out. Yes his idiocy is priced in but those on the fence don't like it.

Labour whether they like it or not need the Lib Dems to gain seats too so its as much about ensuring those thinking of swinging to Lib Dem actually do so.

Ibi Dreams

It will be a massive waste if Corbyn doesn't come out the clear winner. Not necessarily because I think he's really gonna change that many minds, but for the fact that he actually has policies, ideas and principles that are good for the vast majority of the country. Johnson has absolutely nothing to offer, so Corbyn should feel extremely disappointed in himself if he can't beat that

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
BJ will come out on top I think. It looks like this is a Brexit election and to enough of the electorate Boris has a credible direction of travel whilst Jez is in absence of one. Boris will keep bringing the debate back to this single point and Jez will be isolated.
Highly likely. Boris is viewed by some as having charisma but Jeremy has no charisma at all.
His only hope is that Boris continues to believe in his own publicity and makes a few mistakes and scores a few own goals.
Jeremy will be his usual self, keeping cool but boring.
We will learn nothing we didn't already know.
It will be an anticlimax.

Classical Mechanic

Highly likely. Boris is viewed by some as having charisma but Jeremy has no charisma at all.
His only hope is that Boris continues to believe in his own publicity and makes a few mistakes and scores a few own goals.
Jeremy will be his usual self, keeping cool but boring.
We will learn nothing we didn't already know.
It will be an anticlimax.
That's the problem with Jeremy, no matter how strong his points are he's very poor at delivering them with charisma and conviction. Like in comedy, to make it land, it's three quarters in the delivery and presentation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There is literally no scenario that could possibly happen where Corbyn will be viewed as the winner by anything other than a small minority of left leaning journalists.

Corbyn could have the audience on their feet in unanimous ovation with Boris blubbering on the floor completely lost for words and Kuessenberg would use it to compare Corbyn to Stalin and describe Johnson’s behaviour as the raw outburst of emotion of a man desperately fighting for the population he loves to serve so selflessly.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Personally, I think these TV debates are shite and prove nothing.

When they first started this nonsense, the LibDems told a pack of lies, enabling them to win a load of extra seats and giving them a way into Government via the coalition.

It's only got worse since then. Who wants to see a load of Question Time audience refugees ask a load of inane questions whilst 2 party leaders spout various amounts of bullshit.

Corbyn supporters will like everything he says, Johnson supporters will like everything he says and those in the middle will be none the wiser, reinforcing that they still haven't got a clue who to vote for.

Abizzz

They don't have to be terrible though. Look at what they used to have:

One can disagree with Edward Heath or Michael Foot but no one can say the discourse wasn't on an entirely different level than:

Ady87

There is a reason Johnson was kept out of sight in the Conservative election campaign. I actually think he's going to be found out tonight. He waffles complete drivel without substance and the way he delivers with constant pauses between words as his brain tries to formulate sentences is so, so painful.

This isn't about me being a Labour supporter either. There are plenty of Conservatives that can articular and deliver a message infinitely better than Boris, but they're not going to be on the stage.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Boris will act like a total arsehole but the media will make it look like he won for all the people who didn't watch it, which will be the majority of voters.

Smores

Personally, I think these TV debates are shite and prove nothing.

When they first started this nonsense, the LibDems told a pack of lies, enabling them to win a load of extra seats and giving them a way into Government via the coalition.

It's only got worse since then. Who wants to see a load of Question Time audience refugees ask a load of inane questions whilst 2 party leaders spout various amounts of bullshit.

Corbyn supporters will like everything he says, Johnson supporters will like everything he says and those in the middle will be none the wiser, reinforcing that they still haven't got a clue who to vote for.
They may not be ideal but It's better than just seeing Boris do his social media videos where lies go completely unopposed and unchallenged.

There needs to be some mechanism for direct scrutiny especially with a PM who refuses to sit before committees.

Saying that I'm sure the audience and their questions will infuriate me. I'd much rather they get some kind of industry experts rather than Gammon who demand we nuke everyone.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
What I don't get about Boris is that his academic records suggests he is highly intelligent (Kings Scholarship at Eton and scholarship at Balliol, Oxford and got a 2:1, despite what you lot think, you can't actually buy those). I just don't get why he acts like a complete and utter dunderhead, it's neither big nor clever. You may not like the likes of Rees-Mogg or Gove, but their ability to get over a point in an intelligible an intelligent manner is unquestionable.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What I don't get about Boris is that his academic records suggests he is highly intelligent (Kings Scholarship at Eton and scholarship at Balliol, Oxford and got a 2:1, despite what you lot think, you can't actually buy those). I just don't get why he acts like a complete and utter dunderhead, it's neither big nor clever. You may not like the likes of Rees-Mogg or Gove, but their ability to get over a point in an intelligible an intelligent manner is unquestionable.
Being good at academics doesn't mean you have a sound idea on how a country should be run, or how good you might be at public speaking.

All the people you named are still closed minded bellends, likely because of their rapsheet you just named.

Kaos

Because his buffoon act is all a deliberate ploy. Boris isn’t an innate fool, he just puts on a cunning, ‘lovable’ act that deflects any notion of debate and allows the media and public to fallback on the whole “oh it’s just Boris being Boris” angle. It also helps people momentarily forget about the nasty, excessively privileged aura that hovers over the Tory party. And depressingly it works all too well - it’s the reason he managed to win the London mayoral election as a Tory, twice.

Watch him go at it tonight - the second Corbyn attempts to flag any uncomfortable talking point for him or the Tories he’ll revert to his usual circus act, responding with jester insults, cue laughs and applause from the audience.

Member 39557

Being good at academics doesn't mean you have a sound idea on how a country should be run, or how good you might be at public speaking.

All the people you named are still closed minded bellends, likely because of their rapsheet you just named.
Doesn't seem to make his lies any better either.

NWRed

I'm not joking here, this is the road to facism, and it's a pretty direct route:

Smores

Because his buffoon act is all a deliberate ploy. Boris isn’t an innate fool, he just puts on a cunning, ‘lovable’ act that deflects any notion of debate and allows the media and public to fallback on the whole “oh it’s just Boris being Boris” angle. And depressingly it works all too well - it’s the reason he managed to win the London mayoral election as a Tory.
This exactly.

If anyone is still unaware of Jeremy Vines tale about BJs clown act at various awards ceremony read here, https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/my-boris-story/

ZupZup

Boris will do well at playing to his base support... he'll throw the usual soundbites 'get Brexit done'. Several lies about how much they will spend on public services and housing. He'll be sure to get some anti-immigration stuff in there too. The 'points based' system he mentions which will poll well with the older "I'm not racist but..." contingent.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Are you familiar with mental illness and its many forms?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Personally, I don’t understand why Corbyn doesn’t just come out and say I voted leave, but it’s a mess, the public were lied to and we need a second referendum to clear it up.

Everyone knows his personal opinion on the EU and I don’t think he’d be putting off remain voters. The honesty might be a breath of fresh air, instead of him avoiding the question.
didnt he say he voted remain before ... im not sure its a viable option to say he lied about that

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You have actually completely missed the point of my post.
My reply was in relation to this part too:

You may not like the likes of Rees-Mogg or Gove, but their ability to get over a point in an intelligible an intelligent manner is unquestionable.
I don't think either know how to get a point over in an intelligent manner.

Smores

well boris has pretty much laid out his debate strategy which will be to ask these 4 points over and over again
I hope so because those would be a poor set of attack lines. Apart from the EU budget question i think the answers are already in the public domain and we already know the budget cost but more importantly the governments own figures on what benefit that brings.

Nice to see he can sign his name!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I hope so because those would be a poor set of attack lines. Apart from the EU budget question i think the answers are already in the public domain and we already know the budget cost but more importantly the governments own figures on what benefit that brings.

Nice to see he can sign his name!
Aren't the answers

1. wont tell you
2. have to wait and see
3. that will form part of the negotiation that i wont tell you about in point 1
4. none of your business

I'm not entirely sure that will do much to help corbyn but i guess we will see in a few hours

will be interesting to see if either can get under the others skin and wind them up - I think their dislike for each other is pretty genuine but letting that boil to the surface would (I think) play badly

Zlatattack

Have you guys heard about #ArronBanksLeaks?

Apparently someone has hacked his Twitter and is leaking his private DM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.