UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Latest trick from the Lib Dems: Party literature disguised as a bona fide newspaper.

Kaos

Predictably Trumpian:

Boris Johnson ‘to curb legal challenges over Brexit’ in extraordinary attack on the courts
Gotta love the Brexiteers - leave EU for more 'sovereignty', complain when judicial sovereignty is enacted within our shores.

I'm just glad our judges aren't appointed by our executive.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
While it is valid that Labour aren't guilt-free of antisemitism within their party.
You need to put context into all forms of racism as well - for example Islamophobia just isn't given the equal treatment it should do as antisemitism.
The Muslim Council of Britain have asked the EHRC to investigate the Conservatives since 2018 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49763550
The EHRC actually gave the Tories 1 month to respond to complaints of Islamophobia in May https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...aints-ehrc-watchdog-theresa-may-a8918576.html

BJ promised to investigate Islamophobia when he was elected PM, he has since delayed the investigation.
Dozens of Conservative MP's have posted Islamophobic content online.
The list goes on & on - and that's before we get into, 'n****r in a woodpile', 'letterboxes' and windrush.
And yet - nothing has happened, why? Because Islamophobia isn't treated in the same way antisemitism is.

So yes, Labour are the only party that is under a formal EHRC investigation. However, Labour are far from the only institutionally racist political party (they all are), and discrimination against Jewish people is given priority over other forms of discrimination - in my opinion.
It's pretty crazy how much more criticism Labour get, obviously it's not unfounded but watching QT the other night and it Corbyn is getting grilled about antisemitism and absolutely nothing is said to Johnson about some of the racist stuff he has said, without even getting into his party.
Then Corbyn is criticised for pretty much saying he's happy the EHRC are able to do their job, meanwhile the Tories seem to be obstructing an investigation and nothing is said.

Kaos

It's pretty crazy how much more criticism Labour get, obviously it's not unfounded but watching QT the other night and it Corbyn is getting grilled about antisemitism and absolutely nothing is said to Johnson about some of the racist stuff he has said, without even getting into his party.
Then Corbyn is criticised for pretty much saying he's happy the EHRC are able to do their job, meanwhile the Tories seem to be obstructing an investigation and nothing is said.
This is what makes it clear to me the Tories aren't the remotest bit interested or concerned by anti-semitism itself, but rather see it as a convenient muddy stick to beat Corbyn with. If they were genuinely appalled by the notion of anti-semitism or any form of bigotry, they'd start by actually taking the serious allegations within their own party seriously.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The headline Joe Swinson: The Prime Minister Britain Deserves is not necessarily a ringing endorsement.

DFreshKing

Tbh it’s the same on all social media - you’ll see similar results on Twitter where Labour poll consistently higher than the Tories. It’s hardly surprising either, the most common demographic of social media consumers are the 16-40 age group who are more heavily inclined towards progressive politics.

It’s perhaps the one positive to take away from an otherwise bleak future - future generation of voters are likely to turn away from traditional conservative politics championed by the generations that preceded them.
It doesn't tend to work like that. Have you not heard the saying?

"If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain".

Life changes you, Having children is another thing that tends to move you to the right.....

SteveJ

Scout
"If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain".
That figures, seeing as the brain begns to deteriorate around that age...

SteveJ

Scout
Good grief.

'I set trends dem man copy': Michael Gove mocks Stormzy Labour support

Michael Gove has mocked Stormzy for expressing his support for Labour and Jeremy Corbyn in the forthcoming election. Gove told Talk Radio: “I think we again know that Stormzy, when he took to the stage at Glastonbury wearing a stab vest, he made clear what his political views were then.”

During his headline set at the 2019 festival, Stormzy wore a stab vest painted with a monochrome Union Jack. The garment was customised by Banksy and hailed as “a perfect image of our moment” by the Guardian’s art critic, Jonathan Jones. “Stormzy’s tense and provocative stage-garb exploited the flag’s visual strength in a new way. Amid all the stage razzmatazz, he wore the banner of a divided and frightened nation.”

Gove added: “He is a far, far better rapper than he is a political analyst.”

Labour’s Angela Rayner tweeted: “And Michael Gove is crap at both”, adding a winking emoji. Gove responded: “I set trends dem man copy.”

In a long note posted to Twitter on Monday, Stormzy urged fans to register to vote and said that he would be voting for Jeremy Corbyn and Labour.

“In my 26 years of life I have never trusted politicians or relied on them to be the bearers of hope and righteous people that we’ve needed them to be,” he wrote. “And for me, he is the first man in a position of power who is committed to giving the power back to the people and helping those who need a helping hand from the government the most.”

Stormzy criticised Boris Johnson’s “long record of lying and policies that have absolutely no regard for the people that our government should be committed to helping and empowering”.

He continued: “I also believe it is criminally dangerous to give the most powerful role in the country to a man who has said that the sight of a ‘bunch of black kids’ makes him ‘turn a hair’, compared women in burqas to letterboxes and referred to black people as ‘piccaninnies’ with ‘watermelon smiles’. I think it’s extremely dangerous to have a man with those views as the sole leader of our country.”

(Guardian)

Sweet Square

Life changes you, Having children is another thing that tends to move you to the right.....
Simply getting older doesn't make someone conservative. The reason people tend to get more conservative the older they get is because they require more wealth - property for example but the millennial generation(And younger generations) will be first generation that won't be better off than their parents.

EwanI Ted

Yeah having kids in particular changes your outlook a lot. Suddenly the impact of what you would lose if things go wrong magnifies 100 fold.

Kaos

Simply getting older doesn't make someone conservative. The reason people tend to get more conservative the older they get is because they require more wealth - property for example but the millennial generation(And younger generations) will be first generation that won't be better off than their parents.
This is a key point. The current and future younger generations won’t enjoy the economic prosperity the generations before them took for granted. It’s easy to dignify that tired trope when you’re living in a million pound house you bought in the 80s for 90k with a teachers salary and your healthy pension locked down.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Social norms change as well - what was considered liberal in the 60s may end up being conservative now. Someone who was for civil partnerships but against gay marriage in the 60s would've probably been quite liberal compared to their parents; someone with that position now would rightfully be seen as conservative. There's a hint of truth in the fact that a lot of people become more conservative as they age but a lot of people mistake that as being a linear approach wherein someone completely abandons all left-wing ideals they had for a set of right-wing views. And even if young people now do become more conservative, the extent to which a lot of them in the UK aren't conservative at the moment is surely a worry for the Tories, who just aren't offering them anything attractive policy-wise.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

The age people become conservatives is moving older.

Pretty obvious why when you look at how are economy is now structured. Check the demographic breakdown from 2017, Labour win all age groups under 49...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election

Kaos

Yeah having kids in particular changes your outlook a lot. Suddenly the impact of what you would lose if things go wrong magnifies 100 fold.
I don’t have kids so perhaps the sentiment is lost on me, but I’d still counter by suggesting having kids would only make you apprehensive towards Tory economic policy, especially if you’re already struggling to get by. I don’t see how you wouldn’t be concerned by austerity, lack of child support subsidies or a lack of investment into state education. If you’re among those lucky few who’ve managed to accrue a fair bit of wealth then fair enough, but then you’d hardly be the norm.

SteveJ

Scout
It's a matter of mindset, not just material concerns. Most people lead unfulfilled lives and so have less tolerance/patience for many things as they get older; this translates to a propensity for self-concern over the good of the community locally and at large.

Basically, most people are unhappy, and this affects us all.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
if those seat estimates are true, then there is no real battle here or anything. What are/were the remainers thinking?!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opini...ted_Kingdom_general_election#Seat_predictions

Tories expected share of seats in last 5 estimates (in ascending order): 298, 349, 359, 361, 376-379
Firstly imo, none of the parties can claim to be delivering "Brexit" as it were, except the Brexit party who probably won't even get a seat.

Secondly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opini...dom_general_election#UK-wide_seat_projections

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Kaos

if those seat estimates are true, then there is no real battle here or anything. What are/were the remainers thinking?!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opini...ted_Kingdom_general_election#Seat_predictions

Tories expected share of seats in last 5 estimates (in ascending order): 298, 349, 359, 361, 376-379
You have the UK's parliamentary electoral system to thank for that - unfortunately the number of votes a party receives doesn't proportionally translate to the number of seats they get. It also doesn't help that the remain vote is split between Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Greens etc, whereas the Brexiteers have pretty much all rallied around the tories. Remainers can offset this somewhat if they commit to tactical voting, but then you still have Lib Dem voters who refuse to vote for a Corbyn government, or Labour voters who refuse to trust the Lib Dems, and thats not even factoring in the Scottish nationalists.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The age people become conservatives is moving older.

Pretty obvious why when you look at how are economy is now structured. Check the demographic breakdown from 2017, Labour win all age groups under 49...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election
Indeed, for all the stereotyping of Labour voters as young people who just want free stuff, the stats show that for the most part people in the working population are now opting for Labour or at least for anti-Tory parties now for the most part. Indeed, the people keeping the Tories afloat insofar as government is concerned are older voters no longer in the workforce.

EwanI Ted

I don’t have kids so perhaps the sentiment is lost on me, but I’d still counter by suggesting having kids would only make you apprehensive towards Tory economic policy, especially if you’re already struggling to get by. I don’t see how you wouldn’t be concerned by austerity, lack of child support subsidies or a lack of investment into state education. If you’re among those lucky few who’ve managed to accrue a fair bit of wealth then fair enough, but then you’d hardly be the norm.
I don’t think that the current Tory party is the only expression of conservatism, just as the current Labour Party isn’t the only flavour of social democracy. Plenty of Tories right now are as torn over Bozo as I am over Corbyn.

From my own point of view it’s not about not wanting change. Rather it’s that there’s a certain reckless abandon (so it seems to me) to Labour right now, as though there’s nothing to lose so we may and roll the dice and see what happens because things couldn’t get worse. I already worry about what would happen if me or my wife lose our job, or interest rates increase and we can’t afford the mortgage or whatever. Perceived recklessness in Government just exacerbates that worry because those things are so directly affected by Government decisions.

SuperiorXI

Can someone help me out here as I'm not that invested in politics?

Where do poll results come from? Do they only conduct polls in so-called "swing" states?

The reason I ask is I've never seen nor heard of anyone participating in them which suggests they're not accurate.

EwanI Ted

Can someone help me out here as I'm not that invested in politics?

Where do poll results come from? Do they only conduct polls in so-called "swing" states?

The reason I ask is I've never seen nor heard of anyone participating in them which suggests they're not accurate.
This is a great overview. Also explains why you probably won’t have come across many people who’ve done them, and why that doesn’t matter.

http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/opinion-polls-guidance-for-journalists/

Maticmaker

The political system is a hundred years out of date, the two major parties are at least fifty years out of date. You have poor people voting for Tories, young people voting for the oldest out of date Boomer of all. People voting for parties they don't really support for tactical reasons and swing voters who do decide the results of the election being treated as having no values. What a mess.
This is one of the reasons I feel that Brexit will (with hindsight) become recognised as a watershed in UK politics.

Because following on from Brexit the value of continuing with an unwritten constitution is likely to be challenge; when it becomes the norm when a weak opposition is operating, for the best way to oppose the government of the day will be for pressure groups to resort the to courts. When Speakers change the accepted rules (Erskine & May); when political driven proroguing of Parliament, etc. are all issues needing to be covered by a written constitution for the future. Whatever Sovereignty may be returned to the UK Parliament as a result of Brexit will be lost in a unstable political environment.

It's not the negotiation of a Trade Agreement with the EU that will take up and create momentum after we leave because such things can be done as fast or as slowly as both sides want; it will be the political turmoil left over in the UK, including the possible break up of the Union, that will cast the shadow. If one party, whichever, is returned with a large majority, then they may be able to steady the ship and enforce a way forward; however a divided parliament will do for us all, because the system currently is set up for winner to take all and as we've seen with the opposition fragmented and unable to agree, political inertia follows.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
This is one of the reasons I feel that Brexit will (with hindsight) become recognised as a watershed in UK politics.

Because following on from Brexit the value of continuing with an unwritten constitution is likely to be challenge; when it becomes the norm when a weak opposition is operating, for the best way to oppose the government of the day will be for pressure groups to resort the to courts. When Speakers change the accepted rules (Erskine & May); when political driven proroguing of Parliament, etc. are all issues needing to be covered by a written constitution for the future. Whatever Sovereignty may be returned to the UK Parliament as a result of Brexit will be lost in a unstable political environment.

It's not the negotiation of a Trade Agreement with the EU that will take up and create momentum after we leave because such things can be done as fast or as slowly as both sides want; it will be the political turmoil left over in the UK, including the possible break up of the Union, that will cast the shadow. If one party, whichever, is returned with a large majority, then they may be able to steady the ship and enforce a way forward; however a divided parliament will do for us all, because the system currently is set up for winner to take all and as we've seen with the opposition fragmented and unable to agree, political inertia follows.
If scotland leaves then with the existing constituencies i think it would take a massive blair like swing to see anybody but the conservatives in power for the forseable
except for blair and just after WW2 would the conservatives have won every election since WW2 without scottish MP's included? - im not sure but i wouldnt be surprised

Maticmaker

If scotland leaves then with the existing constituencies i think it would take a massive blair like swing to see anybody but the conservatives in power for the forseable
except for blair and just after WW2 would the conservatives have won every election since WW2 without scottish MP's included? - im not sure but i wouldnt be surprised
Yes exactly, with a UK made up of truly independent countries, England, Scotland and Wales having their own independent Parliaments and still being referred to as GB and with NI in a Confederation of Irish States with the Republic, and with some affiliation to the (new) UK then you could say there is likely to be a Tory Government elected in England in perpetuity. Labour is too far left now to reconstitute a Blairite second coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.