UK House Prices

Mihai

There are different levels of survey though. Structural is quite invasive.
Absolutely, but since the talk in this thread is mostly regarding houses, structural is usually required.
It's the buyer's right to inspect the property how they want. And, if the agent has something against it, then probably there's something wrong with the house.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah it's lovely but it needs *so* much doing to it. It's damp everywhere, from the roof and the walls, layout is terrible but lots of land etc.
A doer upper as they say
I renovated a house once and never never again... it just eats up all your time and you are living in a construction site for a couple of years
That said if you don't get caught out with any big unforseen bills and you can stick to your budgets and are in a rising market... ker-ching
the last 2 houses i have brought have been new builds... so much easier

Xeno

A doer upper as they say
I renovated a house once and never never again... it just eats up all your time and you are living in a construction site for a couple of years
That said if you don't get caught out with any big unforseen bills and you can stick to your budgets and are in a rising market... ker-ching
the last 2 houses i have brought have been new builds... so much easier
Yeah that cottage was sold for £380k a few years back, been neglected ever since and so it's going to sell for ~£180k. It probably needs £50k minimum spending on it but still some massive returns there for someone.

I sort of wished I'd learned a trade rather than dicking around on computers.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
The gap between north and south growing as well. I went home at weekend, seriously tempted to cash the equity in on my house and move back north, the only issue is selling the idea to my missus.

Xeno

You guys pay insane high propriety taxes like here in NJ? That's a killer when looking for a new house.
Nothing up to £125k, 2% of the amount between £125k and £250k, 5% between £250k and £1m, 10% of anything above that.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah that cottage was sold for £380k a few years back, been neglected ever since and so it's going to sell for ~£180k. It probably needs £50k minimum spending on it but still some massive returns there for someone.

You don't have to learn a trade. This is my third tile job and I learned just from watching reno shows on TV, reading and watching YouTube vids. Turned out pretty good. Although I'm fecking knackered today. Tiling is really hard on the back.

Stupid fecking cnuting pic keeps saving upside down.

Last edited:

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole

I wish I could do some renovation, love to do diy like that, but the wifey won't let me.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I wish I could do some renovation, love to do diy like that, but the wifey won't let me.
Get her on board maybe. My wife cut all the slabs for the patio last week. She was brilliant. I was basically just a laborer.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You don't have to learn a trade. This is my third tile job and I learned just from watching reno shows on TV, reading and watching YouTube vids. Turned out pretty good. Although I'm fecking knackered today. Tiling is really hard on the back.

Stupid fecking cnuting pic keeps saving upside down.

What is the hole in the ground