UK raises concerns after teenager convicted of lying about Cyprus rape

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The UK government is to raise concerns with the authorities in Cyprus over the fairness of a trial in which a British teenager was found guilty of lying about being gang-raped.

A judge ruled on Monday that the 19-year-old wilfully indulged in public mischief in claiming she was raped by a group of Israeli males aged between 15 and 22 while she was on holiday in Ayia Napa in July.

The ruling by Michalis Papathanasiou at Famagusta’s district court in Paralimni was immediately and strongly condemned by the defence team and rights groups. They claimed the trial was full of legal irregularities that called the verdict into question and suggested a desire to protect relations with Israel may have influenced the process.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “The UK is seriously concerned about the fair trial guarantees in this deeply distressing case and we will be raising the issue with the Cypriot authorities.”

The case against the student hinged on a statement retracting her original accusation that she signed while alone in the police station and without a lawyer, following questioning by detectives that was not recorded. She said in court that police forced her to change her story, telling the judge she was “scared for my life”.

“We believe there have been many violations of procedure and the rights of a fair trial,” her defence lawyer, Nicoletta Charalambidou, said. Moments earlier, the defendant and her mother had emerged from the courthouse wearing masks with images of sewn-up lips on them, brought by protesters from the Network Against Violence Against Women (NAVAW), who filled the court and demonstrated outside.

Charalambidou said: “We are planning to appeal the decision before the supreme court, and if justice fails … take our case to the European court of human rights.”

“The judge has been very strict,” Charalambidou told the Guardian. “He has rejected all the witnesses of defence and our repeated requests to expedite the case.”

The legal aid group Justice Abroad said the trial had been far from fair because Papathanasiou had refused to consider evidence on whether the defendant had been attacked.

“We are not surprised by the result given the frequent refusal during the trial of the judge to consider evidence which supported the fact that the teenager had been raped,” said Michael Polak, a barrister with the group.

“Shutting down questioning from our Cypriot advocates and the production of evidence into the trial on a handful of occasions, the judge stridently stated, ‘This is not a rape case, I will not consider whether she was raped or not.’”

The way court proceedings had been conducted violated Cypriot, European community and European human rights law, he claimed.

Among those called to testify was Dr Marios Matsakis, a prominent forensic pathologist who told the court he was entirely convinced “violence was exercised” during the alleged incident. Scratch marks and bruising on the teenager’s body were “consistent with rape having taken place”, he said.

But Papathanasiou insisted the young woman had fabricated an imaginary offence. “The guilt of the accused is proven. She has confessed,” he pronounced.

The Briton looked visibly stunned, as the judge announced that sentencing would be deferred until 7 January. Her mother burst into tears.

The student, who has already spent a month in prison, could be jailed for up to a year and fined in excess of €1,000 (£850). Although released on bail from Nicosia general prison, she has been forced to relinquish her passport, moving from safe house to safe house ever since.

Describing the verdict as “absolutely astonishing”, her mother told ITV News: “It would be an absolute injustice if they decide to imprison her for any more days than the four and a half weeks she’s already spent in prison.

She is resolute to see justice, she’s absolutely resolute that she’ll fight it, she wants to appeal and I will fully support her 100%, as will her lawyers. So we’ll continue on with appeal and go down that route. If we end up in the European court of human rights, that’s great.”

The case has made headlines in Cyprus, Israel and the UK because the young woman, who was in the country on a working holiday, reported the alleged gang rape. She told police how she had been having consensual sex with one of the Israelis when the others came in, pinned her down and attacked her.

The men, most of whom were about to enter the army as conscripts, were rounded up and remanded in custody. The woman revoked the criminal complaint weeks later, issuing a statement thatchanged her status from victim to suspect overnight. The alleged assailants were allowed to return home the next day.

The defence team later described the confession, extracted after eight hours of police questioning, as the product of coercion. They argued its poor English and grammar made clear that the “highly educated” teenager had not written it.

Ritsa Pekri, defending, asked the judge on Monday to mitigate her sentence, saying the young woman suffered from psychological problems and was taking antidepressants.

With its frequent adjournments and unexpected twists, rights groups have described the trial as a travesty of justice. Senior officials in Cyprus’s criminal justice system have also voiced objections, saying privately that the island’s attorney general should have dismissed court proceedings.

Local protesters gathered at the court in a display of solidarity with the defendant for the first time on Monday. Holding banners aloft in the rain, the women, young and old, accused the Cypriot authorities of submitting to a deeply conservative society, one in which reports of rape are all too often ignored.

They said court officials and police were neither trained nor sensitised in matters of gender, and alleged that national interests had influenced the verdict.

“We are here to defend a 19-year-old girl who has been horribly punished because of political interests,” said Andri Gioakatzi, who works in one of the sovereign UK base areas in the former British colony. “She has had to pay the price of Cyprus’s desire to have good relations with Israel. That is why she has been through this and they let all the Israeli boys go.”

Filing into the packed courtroom for the morning hearing, the protesters angered assembled police and the judge by donning masks with the image of sewn-up lips. The masks symbolised the enforced silence women were often subjected to when they encountered violence, activists said. Papathanasiou ordered them to uncover their faces or face arrest for contempt of court.

“It is extraordinary that the court felt threatened by this piece of cloth and should demand that we remove it,” said Zelia Gregoriou, who teaches gender studies at the University of Cyprus and is a member of the newly created NAVAW.

“This is certainly not the first case of rape in Cyprus and certainly not the first time that a rape complaint is ignored, but it also takes place at a very significant time when Cyprus is trying to reinvent its relationship with Israel both economically and as a partner in defence.”

As the race to tap gas deposits in the eastern Mediterranean has intensified in recent years, the partitioned island’s internationally recognised Greek Cypriot government has worked hard to forge ever better ties with Israel.

The protesters said Monday’s verdict also spoke of the desire of authorities to “look good” at a time when Cyprus’s police force is facing unprecedented scrutiny for a string of perceived failures, including in detecting a serial killer who has since admitted killing seven women and girls on the island.

“There is no doubt that this young British woman is a victim of the need to seal that political friendship,” said Gregoriou. “She was an essential sacrifice. We have come to help her belatedly, but help her we will.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ound-guilty-over-ayia-napa-false-claim-cyprus

Outrageous stuff. The world is a pretty shit place for women generally but rape victims in particular are treated horrendously.

The UK government is to raise concerns with the authorities in Cyprus over the fairness of a trial in which a British teenager was found guilty of lying about being gang-raped.

A judge ruled on Monday that the 19-year-old wilfully indulged in public mischief in claiming she was raped by a group of Israeli males aged between 15 and 22 while she was on holiday in Ayia Napa in July.

The ruling by Michalis Papathanasiou at Famagusta’s district court in Paralimni was immediately and strongly condemned by the defence team and rights groups. They claimed the trial was full of legal irregularities that called the verdict into question and suggested a desire to protect relations with Israel may have influenced the process.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “The UK is seriously concerned about the fair trial guarantees in this deeply distressing case and we will be raising the issue with the Cypriot authorities.”

The case against the student hinged on a statement retracting her original accusation that she signed while alone in the police station and without a lawyer, following questioning by detectives that was not recorded. She said in court that police forced her to change her story, telling the judge she was “scared for my life”.

“We believe there have been many violations of procedure and the rights of a fair trial,” her defence lawyer, Nicoletta Charalambidou, said. Moments earlier, the defendant and her mother had emerged from the courthouse wearing masks with images of sewn-up lips on them, brought by protesters from the Network Against Violence Against Women (NAVAW), who filled the court and demonstrated outside.

Charalambidou said: “We are planning to appeal the decision before the supreme court, and if justice fails … take our case to the European court of human rights.”

“The judge has been very strict,” Charalambidou told the Guardian. “He has rejected all the witnesses of defence and our repeated requests to expedite the case.”

The legal aid group Justice Abroad said the trial had been far from fair because Papathanasiou had refused to consider evidence on whether the defendant had been attacked.

“We are not surprised by the result given the frequent refusal during the trial of the judge to consider evidence which supported the fact that the teenager had been raped,” said Michael Polak, a barrister with the group.

“Shutting down questioning from our Cypriot advocates and the production of evidence into the trial on a handful of occasions, the judge stridently stated, ‘This is not a rape case, I will not consider whether she was raped or not.’”

The way court proceedings had been conducted violated Cypriot, European community and European human rights law, he claimed.

Among those called to testify was Dr Marios Matsakis, a prominent forensic pathologist who told the court he was entirely convinced “violence was exercised” during the alleged incident. Scratch marks and bruising on the teenager’s body were “consistent with rape having taken place”, he said.

But Papathanasiou insisted the young woman had fabricated an imaginary offence. “The guilt of the accused is proven. She has confessed,” he pronounced.

The Briton looked visibly stunned, as the judge announced that sentencing would be deferred until 7 January. Her mother burst into tears.

The student, who has already spent a month in prison, could be jailed for up to a year and fined in excess of €1,000 (£850). Although released on bail from Nicosia general prison, she has been forced to relinquish her passport, moving from safe house to safe house ever since.

Describing the verdict as “absolutely astonishing”, her mother told ITV News: “It would be an absolute injustice if they decide to imprison her for any more days than the four and a half weeks she’s already spent in prison.

She is resolute to see justice, she’s absolutely resolute that she’ll fight it, she wants to appeal and I will fully support her 100%, as will her lawyers. So we’ll continue on with appeal and go down that route. If we end up in the European court of human rights, that’s great.”

The case has made headlines in Cyprus, Israel and the UK because the young woman, who was in the country on a working holiday, reported the alleged gang rape. She told police how she had been having consensual sex with one of the Israelis when the others came in, pinned her down and attacked her.

The men, most of whom were about to enter the army as conscripts, were rounded up and remanded in custody. The woman revoked the criminal complaint weeks later, issuing a statement thatchanged her status from victim to suspect overnight. The alleged assailants were allowed to return home the next day.

The defence team later described the confession, extracted after eight hours of police questioning, as the product of coercion. They argued its poor English and grammar made clear that the “highly educated” teenager had not written it.

Ritsa Pekri, defending, asked the judge on Monday to mitigate her sentence, saying the young woman suffered from psychological problems and was taking antidepressants.

With its frequent adjournments and unexpected twists, rights groups have described the trial as a travesty of justice. Senior officials in Cyprus’s criminal justice system have also voiced objections, saying privately that the island’s attorney general should have dismissed court proceedings.

Local protesters gathered at the court in a display of solidarity with the defendant for the first time on Monday. Holding banners aloft in the rain, the women, young and old, accused the Cypriot authorities of submitting to a deeply conservative society, one in which reports of rape are all too often ignored.

They said court officials and police were neither trained nor sensitised in matters of gender, and alleged that national interests had influenced the verdict.

“We are here to defend a 19-year-old girl who has been horribly punished because of political interests,” said Andri Gioakatzi, who works in one of the sovereign UK base areas in the former British colony. “She has had to pay the price of Cyprus’s desire to have good relations with Israel. That is why she has been through this and they let all the Israeli boys go.”

Filing into the packed courtroom for the morning hearing, the protesters angered assembled police and the judge by donning masks with the image of sewn-up lips. The masks symbolised the enforced silence women were often subjected to when they encountered violence, activists said. Papathanasiou ordered them to uncover their faces or face arrest for contempt of court.

“It is extraordinary that the court felt threatened by this piece of cloth and should demand that we remove it,” said Zelia Gregoriou, who teaches gender studies at the University of Cyprus and is a member of the newly created NAVAW.

“This is certainly not the first case of rape in Cyprus and certainly not the first time that a rape complaint is ignored, but it also takes place at a very significant time when Cyprus is trying to reinvent its relationship with Israel both economically and as a partner in defence.”

As the race to tap gas deposits in the eastern Mediterranean has intensified in recent years, the partitioned island’s internationally recognised Greek Cypriot government has worked hard to forge ever better ties with Israel.

The protesters said Monday’s verdict also spoke of the desire of authorities to “look good” at a time when Cyprus’s police force is facing unprecedented scrutiny for a string of perceived failures, including in detecting a serial killer who has since admitted killing seven women and girls on the island.

“There is no doubt that this young British woman is a victim of the need to seal that political friendship,” said Gregoriou. “She was an essential sacrifice. We have come to help her belatedly, but help her we will.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ound-guilty-over-ayia-napa-false-claim-cyprus

Outrageous stuff. The world is a pretty shit place for women generally but rape victims in particular are treated horrendously.
The question is whether she actually is a rape victim or not.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The incels will think she deserves what she gets. But the case seems quite complicated.

This bit is quite worrying.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Imo lying about being raped is as morally wrong as rape itself. Even being accused when innocent can ruin a person's life as the stigma hangs over them.

That being said, I don't know anything about this case or what the truth is.
Are you really equating rape to anything beside murder? Caf never ceases to amaze me.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
no its not
Are you really equating rape to anything beside murder? Caf never ceases to amaze me.
On my moral compass it is almost as bad for a few reasons. To take something as hideous and vile as rape and use it falsely to destroy another person's life is just as bad. Or very nearly anyway, basically i think very little of anybody that does it and think it deserves severe repercussion. I think it's one of the lowest, non violent crimes against and adult that I can think of.

I think rape is as bad as everybody else does, I just read stories about false accusations and think it is a horrendous thing to do to somebody.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
On my moral compass it is. To take something as hideous and vile as rape and use it falsely to destroy another person's life is just as bad. Or very nearly anyway, basically i think very little of anybody that does it and think it deserves severe repercussion. I think it's the lowest, non violent crime that I can think of.
The average of people actually lying about being raped is around 2% of cases, I even doubt it's that high, the courage it takes those people to speak out about what happened to them is insane leading to many rapists to get away with what they did, and it's because of men like you equating rape to false accusations some of those women are scared to speak out.

pocco

loco
The average of people actually lying about being raped is around 2% of cases, I even doubt it's that high, the courage it takes those people to speak out about what happened to them is insane leading to many rapists to get away with what they did, and it's because of men like you equating rape to false accusations some of those women are scared to speak out.
feck off. I'm talking about the genuine liars here.

It's only 2% so let's forget those that are falsely accused of being a rapist, one of the worst crime that can be committed? Along with those that throw around such severe accusations?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The question is whether she actually is a rape victim or not.
Sounds very much like she was gang raped and then coerced into retracting by the police under political presure to protect relations with Israel - all done without a lawyer present. Alleged rapists allowed to leave then she gets charged. The judge wouldn't even allow evidence that supported that she was raped (as this isn't a rape trial).

Last edited:

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Key point seems to be the signed statement without a representative present, always dodgy that. The more you read in to it the more it seems the whole thing was a forced confession.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
feck off. I'm talking about the genuine liars here.
feck off yourself. You came in ridiculously hot on a sensitive issue. You should spare us the tedium of you continuing the slow backtrack and delete the post and the 'almost as bad' one. Or at at least stop posting in this thread. You have the power to avoid spending further time defending that fecking stupid post and saving us all from reading the attempts that would result.

pocco

loco
No you feck off equating heinous unimaginable actions to words.
Correct. Which makes being a rapist one of the lowest form of human being there is, hence why it is so damaging to a person to be accused of such a thing. These accusations stay with a person for life, because so many rapists get away with it like you said. For a person to take it in vein, when so many other people are suffering because of genuine occurrences is extremely bad morally. The damage it does to another human being makes it a severe crime in my eyes.

You're on your high horse now but if you ever were accused of such a thing then I imagine you'd see it the same way. You clearly feel very strongly about rape, and rightly so, so imagine being tarred as a rapist and never truly being able to clear your name. Thankfully I never have or will find myself in such a predicament, but having heard about such cases I can only imagine how bad it would be. My opinion on false accusations doesn't detract from my opinions on rape, I just think you have to be a real malicious scumbag to falsely accuse somebody of such a thing. Nothing you say will change my mind, I can hate both crimes to different extents (as I corrected in my second post on reflection).

So like I said, feck off. Don't try to associate me with anything relating to the oppression of rape victims. One post on RedCafe about people committing false accusations doesn't affect anybody. I even said that I know none of the details of this case and therefore will not pass judgement.

Last edited:

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
As for those worried about false accusations, the answer is simple, keep but the accuser and those accused anonymous unless convicted. There are too many rape cases going unreported already to start going after those who do report them in case they where lying.

pocco

loco
feck off yourself. You came in ridiculously hot on a sensitive issue. You should spare us the tedium of you continuing the slow backtrack and delete the post and the 'almost as bad' one. Or at at least stop posting in this thread. You have the power to avoid spending further time defending that fecking stupid post and saving us all from reading the attempts that would result.
Shut up. "Ridiculously hot"? Don't be so soft. I gave my opinion of those that make false accusations and said I know nothing about this case, implying that my comment doesn't apply.

As for those worried about false accusations, the answer is simple, keep but the accuser and those accused anonymous unless convicted. There are too many rape cases going unreported already to start going after those who do report them in case they where lying.
Common sense really.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Correct. Which makes being a rapist one of the lowest form of human being there is, hence why it is so damaging to a person to be accused of such a thing. These accusations stay with a person for life, because so many rapists get away with it like you said. For a person to take it in vein, when so many other people are suffering because of genuine occurrences is extremely bad morally. The damage it does to another human being makes it a severe crime in my eyes.

You're on your high horse now but if you ever were accused of such a thing then I imagine you'd see it the same way. You clearly feel very strongly about rape, and rightly so, so imagine being tarred as a rapist and never truly being able to clear your name. Thankfully I never have or will find myself in such a predicament, but having heard about such cases I can only imagine how bad it would be. My opinion on false accusations doesn't detract from my opinions on rape, I just think you have to be a real malicious scumbag to falsely accuse somebody of such a thing. Nothing you say will change my mind, I can hate both crimes to different extents (as I corrected in my second post on reflection).

So like I said, feck off. Don't try to associate me with anything relating to the oppression of rape victims. One post on RedCafe about people committing false accusations doesn't affect anybody. I even said that I know none of the details of this case and therefore will not pass judgement.
Less than 2% of rapists in the UK are even prosecuted, let alone convicted, according to Home Office figures, but the real crime here is the extremely rare incidence of fake rape accusations.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rape-prosecution-england-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html%3famp

pocco

loco

Charlie Foley

Imo lying about being raped is as morally wrong as rape itself. Even being accused when innocent can ruin a person's life as the stigma hangs over them.

That being said, I don't know anything about this case or what the truth is.
No it’s not. Being raped is worse than being accused of rape.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The real crime? I made a comment about false accusation of rape, is that not relevant in a thread about potentially false accusation of rape?
Yes, but as dota said, if you steam in aggressively on the subject in an emotive case that the government has even expressed concern about the verdict of, don't cry if you get some pushback.

You admitted you know nothing about this case, so here is a snippet for you.

Marios Matsakis, a forensic pathologist who was a witness for the defence, testified that the woman had injuries consistent with being raped and that he had detected the DNA of four people in the swabs taken from her.
This thread is for the specifics of this case and whether a horrendous miscarriage of justice has occurred, not pocco's views on how the criminal justice system is clearly loaded against men when it comes to allegations of sexual assault.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
'Oh look, a thread about a specific rape case. I'm just gonna pop in here and say I think being falsely accused accused of rape is as bad as being raped. But it's okay because I've made it clear to everyone I haven't read anything about the case. Wait, why are people mad at me?'.

EDIT - Posted before seeing Jippy's above making the exact same points. Wasn't intending to be standing behind him shouting 'yeah!'. As right as he is.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Agree with the point, not sure it’s relevant to this case though.

LARulz

On the general subject of false accusations. Like with most things, I am sure it is not actually that common and when we see it in the news, it's more an exception and action of a stupid and evil person. The intent of someone deliberately falsely accusing someone of rape is to destroy the person and/or they lack general morals. I know someone personally a long time ago who was accused falsely of rape and even the allegations/case wrecked his life (the potential). He was 16 and think she was 17 or whatever (but same or older), he was part of the West Ham youth team and once the allegation came out, he was released immediately even though he was playing a fair bit for the youth teams. Then once it got revealed (she admitted) that she made it up/it was consensual, it was too late - his name was damaged, missed a fair bit of the season and was a mental wreck by the end of it.

As for this case specifically. Something feels off and the fact they seem to be using something that happened off tape with no lawyers automatically raises questions. Sad thing about this case is that I very much doubt we will ever fully know what happened so whatever the end outcome, it's essentially a coin toss if justice was served or not. Whichever party is saying the truth, I hope they get the right outcome.

Ekeke

On my moral compass it is almost as bad for a few reasons. To take something as hideous and vile as rape and use it falsely to destroy another person's life is just as bad. Or very nearly anyway, basically i think very little of anybody that does it and think it deserves severe repercussion. I think it's one of the lowest, non violent crimes against and adult that I can think of.

I think rape is as bad as everybody else does, I just read stories about false accusations and think it is a horrendous thing to do to somebody.
I think you'll find being raped more akin to being tortured. Yes its horrible to be accused of something you havent done and being treated like you are the bad person. But something like rape is more than that, its a violation of your body against your will. Its not how people look at you, or what people think of you, its how safe you feel in your own skin. So no they are not very alike at all.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Imagine how awful it must feel if she was actually raped to find out the local authorities basically couldn’t give a shit. You’d just feel a hundred times worse. Hopefully the UK government can get to the bottom of what happened.

diarm

The minute the court learned that the interviews and interrogations had not been recorded, that evidence should have been thrown out.

It's 2020. If the police aren't capable of recording their interviews than they are failing in their duty and for a girl in this position to be convicted on the back of such tainted evidence is a gross injustice.

Oldyella

Key point seems to be the signed statement without a representative present, always dodgy that. The more you read in to it the more it seems the whole thing was a forced confession.
After 8 hours of questioning that was not recorded. This case stinks.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Its a Briton abroad she is clearly telling the truth while those terrible foriegners are lying
I’m not sure why you’re posting with such condescension — the facts of the case quite clearly imply the same.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Its a Briton abroad she is clearly telling the truth while those terrible foriegners are lying
Yeah, you've clearly not read the details of the case

This is the reason why some women are afraid to report these things when people are so flippant and ignorant.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having read some of the initial responses, I now regret making this thread.