Unai Arietaleanizbeaskoa - Eibar

El Zoido

I remember when you used to pay by the letter & number. My parents were skint but they got me a shirt bless ‘em. Took me to the OT megastore for my birthday and I wanted Kanchelskis 14 but they couldn’t afford it, so I walked away with Ince 8 instead.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Was he descended from the aristocracy or something?
What do you know, there is an article on that!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/aug/04/theknowledge.sport

"What's the story behind Dutch striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's unusually area-specific name?" asks David Atkinson.

According to our research, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was thus named because, way back in the 17th century, two farming families in the Enschede area of Holland intermarried. Both the Vennegoor and Hesselink names carried equal social weight, and so - rather than choose between them - they chose to use both.

'Of' in Dutch actually translates to 'or', which would mean that a strict translation of his name would read Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ahh so kind of. It’s how double barrel surnames used to work in the UK. If your parents names were of note then the kids would adopt both for prestige. Helen Bonham-Carter being a more modern example. Now everyone seems to be doing it.
Note sure they mean 'of note' though. The reference to 'a farming family in the 17th century Enschede area' really does not sound like any kinda of noteworthy social standing to me - although I suppose the simple fact that they cared about surnames indicates that they weren't the poorest peasants.

By the way, in response to someone asking if this is nobility: because of the 'of' (Dutch 'or'), it doesn't sound like that in Dutch at all, cause that's never used in surnames of noble families. It sounds clumsy if anything. :D

Classical Mechanic

Note sure they mean 'of note' though. The reference to 'a farming family in the 17th century Enschede area' really does not sound like any kinda of noteworthy social standing to me - although I suppose the simple fact that they cared about surnames indicates that they weren't the poorest peasants.

By the way, in response to someone asking if this is nobility: because of the 'of' (Dutch 'or'), it doesn't sound like that in Dutch at all, cause that's never used in surnames of noble families. It sounds clumsy if anything. :D
Maybe they were just wannabe toffs!

I thought this was going to be a scouting report showing your deep understanding of Spanish football
I’d love it, just love it if we could sign him for the name alone. Regrettably he looks to be quite wank.

Eric_the_Red99

I remember when you used to pay by the letter & number. My parents were skint but they got me a shirt bless ‘em. Took me to the OT megastore for my birthday and I wanted Kanchelskis 14 but they couldn’t afford it, so I walked away with Ince 8 instead.
So you’re suggesting this long-name guy is involved some sort of replica shirt insider trading scam? Perez’s plan B perhaps?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Maybe they were just wannabe toffs!

I’d love it, just love it if we could sign him for the name alone. Regrettably he looks to be quite wank.
I hope he’s a right back. There’d be a nice contrast with ‘Luke Shaw’ on one side, and ejrbrndidownskeisodndns on the other

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
This made me google longest name in the world and apparently some poor bloke was called Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff Sr.

Foxbatt

I wonder what Bobby Robson would have called him if he was alive and managing him?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Unai Arietaleanizbeaskoa? Triffic little player.

Okey

This made me google longest name in the world and apparently some poor bloke was called Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff Sr.
Strangely easy to pronounce, that. And I don't speak a word of German.

MrBrightside1989

Get him signed, just to hear the likes of Paul Merson, Ally MCCoist and Paul Scholes battling to pronounce it.

lysglimt

Scout
This reminds me of that classic Smith and Jones-piece where they try to pronounce the lineups when Bulgaria met South Korea or something from a world-cup in the 80s...and after stuttering through a few names he just exclaims "Oh BUGGER OFF"