Unbelievable Football Scores

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
What are the biggest freak results that you can remember witnessing in football? I'm talking about games where you're watching it in sheer disbelief at how the result is shaping up. The outcome itself doesn't have to be surprising (i.e. the favoured team can have won but in a devastating fashion).

Off the top of my head I can think of Germany annihilating Brazil 7-1 in 2014, that's probably the most surreal I've felt watching a game. In the Premier League these three spring to mind: United's 8-2 win v Arsenal, City's 6-1 at Old Trafford, Stoke beating Liverpool 6-1.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Germany 7-1 Brazil, in Brazil, in the World Cup semi finals.

Not much can trump that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fergie’s final 5-5 was pretty crazy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I remember once Charlton went to Highbury during Wenger's golden years and beat them 4-2, even after he and Arsenal turned shit I don't think they suffered a home reverse quite like that.

Pughnichi

Barca destroying PSG in champs league couple of seasons back. The goals/free kicks given to them that night were unbelievable. As was the clear penalty on DiMaria iirc that again went in Barcelona’s favor

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That time Boro leathered us :lol:

RyRy11

That 4 goal comeback from Newcastle against Arsenal was pretty amazing. Newcastle were dead and buried at half time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Liverpool - Barca last year and PSG - Barca a few years ago. In both scenarios the ties looked like there was only one outcome after the first leg.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Fergie’s final 5-5 was pretty crazy.
Good shout. Forgot about that one.

Barca destroying PSG in champs league couple of seasons back. The goals/free kicks given to them that night were unbelievable. As was the clear penalty on DiMaria iirc that again went in Barcelona’s favor
Both legs were extraordinary to watch. I'd also mention Liverpool's comeback against Barca last season. Even though you could sense it happening it was still phenomenal (less so for United fans, admittedly). I'd completely written Liverpool off before the game, didn't give them even a second thought. And Roma's comeback against Barcelona although I missed that one unfortunately.

Fredrik.A

Germany-Sweden 4-4 a couple of years ago. The germans where 4-0 up with like 30 minutes to go.

Witchking

United 2 City 6 in 2012 which doomed United and Gave City the spark. One of the lowest points as an United fan.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I thought it was supposed to be East Fife 4 - Forfar 5
Ah! I got it, the dream is East Fife 5 - 4 Forfar. But in real life it was East Fife 4- Forfar 5.

Articles on it being (almost) a comedy dream result

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That time Boro leathered us :lol:
I remember listening to that on the radio. It still scars me.

Our 7 - 1 vs Roma must be up there especially after losing such a difficult first leg against them.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I hate to bring it up but the 6-1 At Old Trafford vs City I remember had me in complete shock.

Also Santos vs Flamengo 4-5 was insane with Neymar and Ronaldinho putting on a show.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
United Everton 4-4 which have City the impetus in that title run.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
United beating champions Arsenal 6 - 2 at Highbury, with Lee Sharpe scoring a hat trick

United beating Ipswich 9 - 0.

Liverpool 4 - 4 Arsenal

Germany 1 - 5 England

Germany 7 - 1 Brazil

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Real Madrid - Barcelona 2-6.

Deportivo La Coruna losing 8-3 to Monaco and then achieving one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the CL against AC Milan (4-0).

LvG's Ajax destroying Bayern Munich in CL semi-final in 1995 5-2.

In terms of what the feck is going on here is the Netherlands-France 4-1 match in Euro 2008. You could even argue that France was the better team but it was one of those cases where everything goes wrong for one team and everything goes right for the other. An Unbelievable result really and one that overhyped the Dutch who eventually were eliminated by Russia in the quarter-final.

Others have already been mentioned.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Liverpool 7-0 Spurs - September 1978.

Tottenham shocked the football world that summer by signing 2 players - Ossie Ardiles & Ricky Villa - who'd featured in Argentina's world cup winning side that year. I stood on the Kop that day & watched us rip them pieces. They also had the likes of Glen Hoddle, Steve Perryman, & Peter Taylor in their team. Some were even tipping them to challenge us for the title that season. Oh, & that 7th goal :drool:

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
Reading 5-7 Arsenal. Reading were 4-0 up before HT.

Not big scoring, but Tottenham 0-2 Portsmouth in a FA Cup semi final in 2010. This being the same year Portsmouth were relegated. What makes this more impressive is that Portsmouth had pretty much sold off their entire team of the last two seasons. All their best players including Crouch, Defoe, Muntari, Diarra, Glen Johnson, Distin, Kaboul, Begovic, Kranjcar, Campbell. This was a team cobbled together with free transfers and loans. Also gave Chelsea a good game in the final.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Spain 1 - 5 Netherlands was pretty mental considering how good the Spaniards had been for so long.

King Eric 7

United 8 Arsenal 2. Both line ups look underwhelming, especially Arsenal's.

Denis79

When Mk Dons trashed us. Ridiculous!
fecking league 1 team destroyed us 4-0.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Palace 4-3 Liverpool in the 1990 FA Cup semi-final.

Liverpool had beaten them 9-0 (unbelievable in itself) and 0-2 in the league, and weren't far off clinching the title.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Tottenham 9 - 1 Wigan

Middlesbrough 8 - 1 Man City

Swansea City v Crystal Palace is probably my favourite though.

Finished 5-4 after 2 goals in stoppage time to win it for Swansea

Schneckerl

Dinamo Zagreb vs Lyon 1-7 in the CL group stage felt so blatantly rigged.

baskinginthesun

San Jose 5-2 LA Galaxy in 2003. Quakes scored a 96th minute Golden Goal. Absolute scenes.

LA won the first leg 2-0 and were 2-0 inside the first 15 minutes in the 2nd leg.