Gaming "Uncharted: The Adventures of Nathan Drake"

Revan

Assumptionman
The first game has aged terribly. When I played through it again in the HD collection last year, I was surprised at how warped my memory of it had become. I'd only recommend it if anyone really wanted to see where it all began, but in general it's better to avoid it nowadays. I mean, those jet ski sections. :lol:

Uncharted 2 is miles ahead of the first game in a lot of aspects, especially its characters and set pieces. You'll still have to do a lot of shooting though.
I don't mind to do a lot of shooting. I mind doing the same sequence of shooting all over again. It is the most repetitive game I have ever played.

And it is frustrating as hell. The part with the boat when you have to drive against the current, and shoot at people who are shooting at you at the same time might be the worst gaming chapter in the history of games. Until you reach the final chapter, when you have to do the same exact thing 3 times in a row.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The part with the boat when you have to drive against the current, and shoot at people who are shooting at you at the same time might be the worst gaming chapter in the history of games.
Really? You sure about that?

Revan

Assumptionman
And finished the second game. I thought that it was less crap than the first one, but still crap. The plot for most part was crap, characters were cartoonish, Drake a psychopath, the gameplay was repetitive with the same enemies all over again, and I found it much more frustrating than fun. Wouldn't put it even in the level of the likes of Crysis 1, and both the new Tomb Raiders in my opinion are far superior to this.

I am done with this series. If this was the best, then I really don't want to play the lesser ones.

Last edited:

Ainu

And finished the second game. I thought that it was less crap than the first one, but still crap. The plot for most part was crap, characters were cartoonish, Drake a psychopath, the gameplay was repetitive with the same enemies all over again, and I found it much more frustrating than fun. Wouldn't put it even in the level of the likes of Crysis 1, and both the new Tomb Raiders in my opinion are far superior to this. The

I am done with this series. If this was the best, then I really don't want to play the lesser ones.
And to think you had the worst game in the series coming up right after this on if you kept on playing. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
And to think you had the worst game in the series coming up right after this on if you kept on playing. :lol:
I struggle to think how a game can be worse than the first Uncharted.

Okay, it is exaggeration, but that was really shit. This one was alright though, but nothing more than that (for me).

Hoping that TLOU2 will have less elements of Uncharted games, and go deeper into the strengths of the first TLOU.

Stringer

UC2 and UC4 are comfortably better games than the new Tomb Raider games (which are still good). Better graphics, writing and setpieces.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm sort of with Revan on this. I enjoyed them when they came out but don't think they've aged well.

Then again, I think don't think most third person action games tend to age well.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Characters were the main selling point of Uncharted. That and the beautiful graphics which at the time of each release far surpassed games of its era (consoles). Saying you didn't like Uncharted 1 is hardly a shock given its over 10 years old and a console game. Hell Uncharted 2 is 9 years old.

I remember being blown away by the cinematics in the first game at the time of release. It was leaps and ahead of its rivals.

It's a bit like playing Witcher 1 and then going "meh, whats the fuss all about". :lol:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I will not have some filthy philistine shitting on the Uncharted collection.

No seriously, some games just aren't "it" for some people. I can't stand Destiny for example even though everyone says its great.

Try Uncharted 3, it was the best one for me. If you don't like it, let it go. I played the Collection in 2017 and had it my mind that the graphics et all weren't going to be top notch hence I played it in the mindset that its a classic and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Drake is a psychopath ?
He kills hundreds of people while making jokes about it. They aren't even evil guys, just henchmen.
UC2 and UC4 are comfortably better games than the new Tomb Raider games (which are still good). Better graphics, writing and setpieces.
I found writing really really poor. Heck at one stage, Drake and Elena have guns aimed at the main bad guy (whom in return is aiming at them together with some of his henchmen) and then wise as they are, they lower the guns. Because apparently that puts you in a stronger position. I just found the writing totally clumsy, like a cliche from bad movies of eighties. To be fair, story on Tomb Raiders is equally bad.
Characters were the main selling point of Uncharted. That and the beautiful graphics which at the time of each release far surpassed games of its era (consoles). Saying you didn't like Uncharted 1 is hardly a shock given its over 10 years old and a console game. Hell Uncharted 2 is 9 years old.

I remember being blown away by the cinematics in the first game at the time of release. It was leaps and ahead of its rivals.

It's a bit like playing Witcher 1 and then going "meh, whats the fuss all about". :lol:
Considering that I am a sucker for old games (heck in top 10 I probably have more games from the nineties than from any other decade), that shouldn't have been a problem for me. Just that, I found the story very poor, and the gameplay tedious and repetitive.

Graphics were great, but were they better than Crysis for example (who was released in the same year as first Uncharted)? Talking about cinematics and characters, Mass Effect was released in the same year, and it is infinitely superior on those two aspects (and practically everything else).

The first Witcher, a game nobody made a fuss about, it still better than the first two Uncharted. Or at least, it is not as bad.

I will not have some filthy philistine shitting on the Uncharted collection.

No seriously, some games just aren't "it" for some people. I can't stand Destiny for example even though everyone says its great.

Try Uncharted 3, it was the best one for me. If you don't like it, let it go. I played the Collection in 2017 and had it my mind that the graphics et all weren't going to be top notch hence I played it in the mindset that its a classic and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Nah. Like George Bush has said: ' fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again'.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He kills hundreds of people while making jokes about it. They aren't even evil guys, just henchmen.

I found writing really really poor. Heck at one stage, Drake and Elena have guns aimed at the main bad guy (whom in return is aiming at them together with some of his henchmen) and then wise as they are, they lower the guns. Because apparently that puts you in a stronger position. I just found the writing totally clumsy, like a cliche from bad movies of eighties.

Considering that I am a sucker for old games (heck in top 10 I probably have more games from the nineties than from any other decade), that shouldn't have been a problem for me. Just that, I found the story very poor, and the gameplay tedious and repetitive.

Graphics were great, but were they better than Crysis for example (who was released in the same year as first Uncharted)? Talking about cinematics and characters, Mass Effect was released in the same year, and it is infinitely superior on those two aspects (and practically everything else).

The first Witcher, a game nobody made a fuss about, it still better than the first two Uncharted. Or at least, it is not as bad.

Nah. Like George Bush has said: ' fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again'.
Come on, if it's like that most main character of any videogame are psychopaths

Revan

Assumptionman
Come on, if it's like that most main character of any videogame are psychopaths
Most are to be fair. Mostly they also don't make jokes while killing people, and in a lot of games you're shooting aliens, Nazis, mutants etc which are fair game :drool:

Ainu

Most are to be fair. Mostly they also don't make jokes while killing people, and in a lot of games you're shooting aliens, Nazis, mutants etc which are fair game :drool:
It's supposed to be a sort of light-hearted game, so that's just something you need to look past. I feel game designers nowadays are more aware of that ludonarrative dissonance (a term I learned specifically from an Uncharted trophy :lol:) but back then it was par for the course, more or less. The ruthless killing of henchmen is something that was always treated as a gameplay element rather than a story element. Game designers just have a very hard time filling up an action game with meaningful content that doesn't involve loads of killing.

You can completely ignore that suggestion about Uncharted 3 though, it's by far the worst offender in the series. A collection of seemingly random set-pieces with wave after wave of cookie-cutter enemies with completely nonsensical villains and a lauhgable plot. I'm sure that describes the other games for you as well, but bear in mind I'm actually a fan of the series. That should give you an idea of just how bad that particular game is.

afrocentricity

I liked the 3rd tbh. Currently playing the 4th and it's excellent too. Revan is being incredibly hyperbolic here as well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Are you seriously comparing a PC game to a very early PS3 game? Wow. *backs away slowly*

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
4 was brilliant but it really lagged in parts. Naughty Dog are usually great at not putting filler in their games for the sake of longevity but they could've cut a good five hours from that and I wouldn't have missed it.

afrocentricity

But they are trying to kill him! Justified surely? It's not like we're talking about Manhunt ffs