Under 21 European Championship 2021 (March & May - June)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The comparison of Raum and Henrichs is exactly what I mean. You look at the name/status instead of actual performances. Raum has been excellent in the 2nd BL as FB and has been very good for the u21 so far while Henrichs constantly disappoints and was at best average for the u21. You write he plays for CL level teams but the reality is that he hardly plays and still relies on his reputation as great talent.
In regards to the other positions... the attack this time is clearly stronger / a lot better infront of the goal and while Tah was/is a great talent on paper he is another one who couldn't really show it in the u21.
Don't get me wrong, the differences aren't huge in these comparisons but the team in this tournament has the right balance and except GK has at minimum solid options everywhere and no glaring weaknesses.
I also think (and this is obviously just an opinion) that this team has a better mentality, partly because there are many players who had to work their way to this level instead of relying on hype as talents. That's why I think this one might produce some surprises in the future.
It will be interesting to see Raum with Hoffenheim in the BL next season and I'm also curious what Nmecha and Dorsch will do next.
I mean Henrichs by the time of the of the 2019 tournament had played more league minutes at CL clubs than Raum has amassed for Fürth and about a dozen CL games on top. Is Henrichs a top player? Not really. But it's a bit disingenuous to call him a constant disappointment, when were comparing him to a 2nd division player. And I know Raum had a couple of good moments in this tournament, he doesn't stand out as a weakness and he seems to have a great left foot and he may just be a late bloomer, but it still says a lot about the level of talent, that where there used to be a promising top four club talent and Mittelstädt as his backup, there is now only Fürth's LB.
Tah is a somewhat similar case to Henrichs: relative to how he started out his development has been disappointing, but he still rolled up to the u21 team with probably 150 games played for Leverkusen and some senior caps on his CV. At night Amos Pieper dreams of being able to say that about himself when he's retiring.

The team right now is on 8 goals scored, last tournament it was 14 goal scored after the semi final, so it's a bit ambitious to state the attack is clearly stronger this time around.

I agree that the team shows a very good mentality, balance, organization, whatever you want to call these soft factors. I really applaud their effort. But this isn't the early 2000s, a German team should not have to rely on being solid and having good mentality to this extend anymore. I know these numbers aren't facts, but the market value of the current squad is €153m, two years before it was €314m and that kind of says it all..

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I thought the German LB looked decent.
Definitely one to look out for, had 15 assists last season for Fürth and will be playing for Hoffenheim now. Maybe finally someone who can fill the gap at the LB-Position in the national team for years to come.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What a fitting goal for this tournament this would have been
:lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Both teams have had decent moments in their final thirds. So far, the biggest attacking threads have been Dany Mota and Florian Wirtz. Dalot's looked alright without necessarily being an attacking threat at this stage.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I was impressed with Portugal's play in the first 10 minutes or so, but since then they have been quite harmless.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He has one year left on his contract, but Anderlecht are keen on purchasing him before his contract expires. Of course, everything depends on City.
Thanks. The commentator just said sporting are interested too. Kompany must know him from his time there.

Looks like a handful.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Nmecha scores, Germany 1
Good stuff from Baku, and Nmecha was stone cold to keep the ball at his feet until he was past the keeper.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ths is not the first time the German team is getting on their back foot when their opponent commits to pressure them, I wonder why so many teams took a passive role.

::sonny::

I like Maier

Florentino Luis what a bad player, slow and useless

Florentino is a bad name in general :smirk:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The game stops 30 seconds for every minute that is played

We're about to get 4 minutes of added time anyway though

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dorsch is the man of the tournament from a German point of view. Very tough against the ball, but also very sharp and creative on the ball. Leaving aside Wirtz and Baku, who didn't look as impressive as they did in Bundesliga, he's easily the most promsing player in this team for me.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Well done boys. Kuntz' record as junior coach is really impressive, i guess he'd have been nailed on as Löw's successor had Hansi not decided to leave Bayern.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Would have never thought Kuntz would turn out that good a manager but he's done it again, strong performance against strong, even higher rated opponents, just like against Spain the last time around. Hats off to him, very impressive.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Deserved win for the germans. We're awfully managed and didn't deserve to win this, shouldn't have even got past Spain in the semis.

The stereotype of the 'dirty latin team' needs to end though, germans cheated for 90 minutes today. No problem with it, it's part of the game and if the ref allows it then it's normal teams take advantage of it. But the stereotype needs to end.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Deserved win for the germans. We're awfully managed and didn't deserve to win this, shouldn't have even got past Spain in the semis.

The stereotype of the 'dirty latin team' needs to end though, germans cheated for 90 minutes today. No problem with it, it's part of the game and if the ref allows it then it's normal teams take advantage of it. But the stereotype needs to end.
Fouls: 16:15

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There were some situations that could have been a foul but the referee did not stop the play, I think he meant that.
I thought the game was on the physical side - from both teams - but nothing nasty or particularly unfair.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Fouls: 16:15
What constitutes a foul for the two teams was very different today, which is an usual theme in this fixture. At the end he gave us a lot of calls just because we were losing though. Anyways, I was refering to the timewasting and fooling the ref, not about how much you fouled.

I have no problem with it, if we were in the same position I would have wanted us to do the same. We were too naive, physically weak and tactically left too much space in key areas, especially out wide. Got nobody to blame but ourselves. You guys 100% deserved to win today so congratulations, Nmecha, Maier and Baku were impressive and tactically your coach was spot on unlike ours.

slored1

Watched the game live.

Some observations:

Baku was decent, even got some chants from our side of the ground.

Braganca is a good player, sweet left foot and a nice range of passing.

Leao was crap, so were the other two strikers.

Dalot's only moves are pointless stepovers.

Overall, a deserved Germany win.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thought Dorsch was easily man of the match, he reminded me of Schweinsteiger in the 2014 final.

Baku was also great.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would have never thought Kuntz would turn out that good a manager but he's done it again, strong performance against strong, even higher rated opponents, just like against Spain the last time around. Hats off to him, very impressive.
Reached the final in all 3 under 21 tournaments he's managed, winning twice. That is really impressive given that he hasn't had the most talented batch of players, and had to play with a 2nd string squad in 2017.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Fun fact: Lukas Nmecha has scored the winning goals in the U19 EC and U21 EC, both times against Portugal, but one for England and one for Germany :D

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Fun fact: Lukas Nmecha has scored the winning goals in the U19 EC and U21 EC, both times against Portugal, but one for England and one for Germany :D
Winning vs Portugal in a tournament is a requirement for german citizenship at this point. ;)