Film Underrated Movies

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Good to see this thread doing God’s work and helping folk see decent movies that might have otherwise passed them by.

I’ll add one.

Peanut Butter Falcon
Not sure if this is underrated because I don’t know how it was rated. Did probably slip below the radar though. Just a really lovely, warm-hearted film which proves that yer man from Transformers who turned out to be a bit of a bell end is actually magnetic as hell when he’s on form. And he’s definitely on form here. Zack Gottsagen, in his first movie, is also terrific. Apparently the movie was written specifically for him, after he blew the director away at a camp for actors with disabilities. Beautifully shot and leisurely paced, with a great soundtrack and a cracking cameo that will go down a bomb with all the old farts who grew up watching WWF before the F became an E. Relax into it like a warm bath.
I'd forgotten about this film but it was well worth a watch.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hard Target

is an excellent action/revenge movie starring JCVD which deserves more appreciation. The stunts and action are great, and the villains/side characters are ridiculous.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Just watched this today and awful ending from such a grim show as well

Acting was excellent from both men but as is so often the case when it's over you wonder if anything actually happened for real in the film or not
:lol:

I thought it was a cinematic masterpiece. Lunacy personified.

lsd

The Oracle
:lol:

I thought it was a cinematic masterpiece. Lunacy personified.

It was really made and acted but I have no idea what was going on. I think it was the one person on the lighthouse going slowly mad

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Shot caller with Ser Jaime is quite good. Actually it’s a hidden gem I think.
This is a good shout. very good film. It’s as cheesy as it is gritty but well made.

Few off the top of my head that might not be super famous?
the bank job
sexy beast
In Bruges
Sideways
Felon
War of the buttons (super kids movie but for all ages)
Buffalo soldiers
Kids
The ice storm
Leaving Las Vegas
Pusher
Amores Perros
Y tu mama tambien
Magnolia
The perks of being a wallflower
500 days of summer
(The original) wicker man
Dig!
the devil and Daniel Johnston
and so on…

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
AI: Artificial Intelligence.
One of the most subversive, thoughtful movies post 2000 and one of the most impactful endings in all cinema (for me anyway).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Anyone said Knights Tale yet?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
AI: Artificial Intelligence.
One of the most subversive, thoughtful movies post 2000 and one of the most impactful endings in all cinema (for me anyway).
I think it’s a lovely movie and very touching but got panned upon release

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
One film I though was really underrated was Everything is illuminated with Eiljah Wood and a phenomenal turn by Eugene Hutz. Really good low key film with so much heart.

Mike Smalling

Prisoners seems like a movie that a lot of people don't know about despite it's cast and director. Thought it was really excellent, and it's definitely one of the my favorite thrillers.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Out of the Furnace

I keep coming back to this. Everything about it is great. Watch it you stupid cnut.

Jericholyte2

Prisoners seems like a movie that a lot of people don't know about despite it's cast and director. Thought it was really excellent, and it's definitely one of the my favorite thrillers.
I'd argue that's more of an unknown gem, not underrated, as nearly everyone who has seen it has nothing but a glowing review for it.

Mike Smalling

I'd argue that's more of an unknown gem, not underrated, as nearly everyone who has seen it has nothing but a glowing review for it.
Yeah, that's an accurate distinction. It's just strange, because Jackman and Gyllenhaal should be major draws and it is not exactly a niche genre.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yeah, that's an accurate distinction. It's just strange, because Jackman and Gyllenhaal should be major draws and it is not exactly a niche genre.
Could be a marketing thingie. I can't remember if it was marketed much, but I'm sure it didn't get Marvel-like exposure.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Last Action Hero is an absolute banger that got shit on when it came out and never recovered from there. I love the film personally; it's such great fun

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Hard Target

is an excellent action/revenge movie starring JCVD which deserves more appreciation. The stunts and action are great, and the villains/side characters are ridiculous.
I remember being mesmerised by the leading lady's eyes...