Film Underrated Movies

Delano

Beasts of No Nation

Directed by the guy who did the first series of True Detective.

A film about Child Soldiers being robbed of their childhood to fight wars. Idris Elba is great in it, but the child actors are something else.

One of the first films purely released on Netflix and was essentially blacklisted from awards because of it. Amazing film that not enough people watched.

GazTheLegend

Beasts of No Nation

A film about Child Soldiers being robbed of their childhood to fight wars. Idris Elba is great in it, but the child actors are something else.

One of the first films purely released on Netflix and was essentially blacklisted from awards because of it. Amazing film that not enough people watched.
Great great shout.

I'll throw my hat into the ring with "Baseketball" made by the creators of South Park primarily to poke fun at Americanised sports franchises but which stand the test of time even related to our game in many respects. Also has Victoria Silvstedt, playmate of the year.

GazTheLegend

I'll add "Pandorum" too, wasn't sure whether to call it underrated but I think the concept was amazing and terrifying and it reminded me of Clive Barker's more famous works, which is a compliment. And "Nightmare on Elm Street 3" was amazing and probably the best of all the Freddy films, don't really hear much about it or see anything like it anymore.

Mike Smalling

Beasts of No Nation

Will check that out based on the director alone. First season of True Detective was amazing!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd have to mention two of my favourite films of all time.
Phillip Ridley's terrifying, surreal gothic masterpiece the Reflecting Skin and Charles Laughton's striking thriller The Night of the Hunter, with Mitchum as the lead who produces one of the best manipulative, toe-curlingingly frightening and treacherous antagonists of all-time .

Masterpieces.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Warrior
Absolutely brilliant movie, that people dismiss before watching as just another MMA movie. Every single person who has watched it seems to have loved it, but it always surprises me how few have actually even had it on their radar. A Tom hardy masterclass
One of my favourite movies. It's an MMA movie but the centerpiece are the characters. It's the same thing that made the original Rocky so good, all about character. I think the first Rocky only has two boxing scenes (beginning and end).

I love films like that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The element I love about Rocky is its texture. It encapsulates so much of the rawness of the working class person and their surroundings. There's alot of depth and beauty in its unfashionable and tired setting. There's alot I can associate and relate to within the films core.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Great great shout.

I'll throw my hat into the ring with "Baseketball" made by the creators of South Park primarily to poke fun at Americanised sports franchises but which stand the test of time even related to our game in many respects. Also has Victoria Silvstedt, playmate of the year.
Great shout.

AaronRedDevil

Sleepers

Brilliant movie. But a warning, it’s a hard watch. Some scenes in this were very uncomfortable. Very good cast too. Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, Robert Di Nero, Terry Kinney. A bit similar to A time to Kill (Another brilliant movie). They don’t make movies like these anymore, gritty and dirty. Had my eye on this for some time and finally watched it on Netflix. 8/10.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Star Trek: the motion picture is a interesting one.
I found the story and the inevitable conclusion quite refreshing but people/fans are right to call out its pacing at times. There's alot of self indulgence in the film.
But I do enjoy it.
Ya for sure. They spend 5 mins doing slow exterior shots of the ship :lol:
I guess I saw it in the right mood, just let myself get immersed in it, and it's really great once you do. i also saw it after seeing a bunch of action nonsense, so it was great to see a long sci-fi movie with basically zero weapons fired.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ya for sure. They spend 5 mins doing slow exterior shots of the ship :lol:
I guess I saw it in the right mood, just let myself get immersed in it, and it's really great once you do. i also saw it after seeing a bunch of action nonsense, so it was great to see a long sci-fi movie with basically zero weapons fired.
Oh man, don't go there. :lol:
Its such a great looking sci-fi, and I fully appreciate taking pride in ones work, but it crikey.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Beasts of No Nation

That was a cracking film. Didn’t realise he also made True Detective.

Didn’t he get shit for copying a fairly well known artist during some of the (absolutely beautiful) scenes towards the end of the movie?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Limitless

The visuals alone deserve to be spoke of often. It’s a great movie. Final act is a little weak. But a really great movie.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Kill Bill.

I've tried to show people and they like it but not love it.

For me it's the most anime but real film there is.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Beasts of No Nation

Brilliant. One of the few really really good netflix original films.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sleepers

Brilliant movie. But a warning, it’s a hard watch. Some scenes in this were very uncomfortable. Very good cast too. Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, Robert Di Nero, Terry Kinney. A bit similar to A time to Kill (Another brilliant movie). They don’t make movies like these anymore, gritty and dirty. Had my eye on this for some time and finally watched it on Netflix. 8/10.
Brilliant movie but a tough watch.

Devil77

Sleepers

+1. Good movie with two distinctive parts

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Both sides? He was a bum.
From what I remember he took some super-duper-god drug and woke up the next day clean-shaven with a immaculately tight fitted suit ,attached to his person, with his intellect being completely off the radar while the previous night he looked like the perfect literal illustration of a California Thomas Pynchon-esq hobbo.

Its a dumb, enjoyable film and its current rating is perfectly just.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Kill Bill.

I've tried to show people and they like it but not love it.

For me it's the most anime but real film there is.
Second this. I am a fan of Tarantino. And many people are.
I find it strange though that Kill Bill is always missed in various top/best lists of Tarantino movies.
Django, the 8, Resrvoir Dogs, of course Pulp Fiction, even Jackie Brown are usually what people recall when they hear “Tarantino”

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
From what I remember he took some super-duper-god drug and woke up the next day clean-shaven with a immaculately tight fitted suit ,attached to his person, with his intellect being completely off the radar while the previous night he looked like the perfect literal illustration of a California Thomas Pynchon-esq hobbo.

Its a dumb, enjoyable film and its current rating is perfectly just.
Fair go on your rating, But we literally see him have a haircut and go to a tailor. That part is pretty down the line.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Beasts of No Nation

Far from perfect but well wroth a watch imo.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Second this. I am a fan of Tarantino. And many people are.
I find it strange though that Kill Bill is always missed in various top/best lists of Tarantino movies.
Django, the 8, Resrvoir Dogs, of course Pulp Fiction, even Jackie Brown are usually what people recall when they hear “Tarantino”
It suffered from being in 2 parts. I can't even rember what it was about. I didn't like Django, Hateful 8 (in particular) or Jacki Brown that much but only Kill Bill was forgettable.