Film Underrated Movies

Matthew84!

Well I've got a few but not many people I know seem to like them.

Dead man on campus.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Let's kill wards wife

Super.

National security (2003)

Drinking buddies.

Benny loves you.

All I think are good and have watched many times. That's just the first ones that come to mind.

caid

Well I've got a few but not many people I know seem to like them.

Dead man on campus.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Let's kill wards wife

Super.

National security (2003)

Drinking buddies.

Benny loves you.

All I think are good and have watched many times. That's just the first ones that come to mind.
Super was fantastic

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Also I've lived in Britain for years now and have never heard the term ''eggy in a basket'', it just an egg sandwich but because it pisses Moore off so much, I always use the term when in the house. The man is brilliant writer but a miserable old git as well.
Eggy in the basket? WTF is that? Never heard of it. Sounds like an American phrase to me.

Bobski

Edge of Tomorrow is one of the best Sci-Fi movies of the last 20 years, plays with the core concept superbly, and Emily Blunts' character is a prime example of how a strong female character can be written, the closest modern equivalent to Ripley/Sarah Connor for me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Shot caller with Ser Jaime is quite good. Actually it’s a hidden gem I think.

Deery

Dreary
Saving Private Ryan, just watched the last hour of it, absolutely amazing film doesn’t get the respect it deserves…

mu4c_20le

I think Southland Tales fits the bill here, it's one of my personal favourites. Such a surreal movie.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
johnny mnemonic isn't "good", but is wildly entertaining, and deserves better than its 19% RT score.

Star Trek: the motion picture is widely disliked but is a great sci-fi movie if you have time and patience and a love of slow, beautiful and slightly pointless sci-fi (pre-existing love of trek helps but it really doesn't relate to previous or later stuff).
41% RT, should be closer to 80.

mu4c_20le

No not in the grand scheme of things does anyone put Saving Private Ryan in their top 10, don’t think so were Godfather is an automatic..
.....that's because it's not a top 10 movie. But in lists of war movies it's surely in there.

OleBoiii

Saving Private Ryan, just watched the last hour of it, absolutely amazing film doesn’t get the respect it deserves…
It's ranked 26th on IMDb. I'd say it's pretty respected.

It's a shame that the best part of the film by far happens in the first 10 minutes or so. It is so well done and intense that nothing really compares after that point. It's possibly the best movie opening of all time.

mu4c_20le

And a haul of Oscars too wasn't it? I remember feeling it was overrated when it first came out

Deery

Dreary
.....that's because it's not a top 10 movie. But in lists of war movies it's surely in there.
Shut up you bastard!
It's ranked 26th on IMDb. I'd say it's pretty respected.

It's a shame that the best part of the film by far happens in the first 10 minutes or so. It is so well done and intense that nothing really compares after that point. It's possibly the best movie opening of all time.
The last hour is fantastic too, clearly a better film than 26, the captain’s hand stopping shaking, Angels on our shoulders, the defending of the bridge.

OleBoiii

The last hour is fantastic too, clearly a better film than 26, the captain’s hand stopping shaking, Angels on our shoulders, the defending of the bridge.
Meh, each to their own.

It's a good film, but I don't think the writing is that good.

Mike Smalling

Definitely gets the credit it deserves, and then some in my opinion. For me it is more overrated. Technically an excellent film, of course, and the battle sequences are great - both the D-Day landings and the final battle. Beyond that it has a fairly nonsensical plot and an array of stereotypes for characters. For WW2 related material, I much prefer Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Dunkirk, etc.

Mike Smalling

Might have been mentioned in the thread already, but one movie that doesn't get the attention it deserves is Prisoners. It keeps you guessing until the very end, has great acting and some interesting themes, but it seems like a lot people don't know about it. Would recommend to anyone that enjoys a thriller.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
johnny mnemonic isn't "good", but is wildly entertaining, and deserves better than its 19% RT score.

Star Trek: the motion picture is widely disliked but is a great sci-fi movie if you have time and patience and a love of slow, beautiful and slightly pointless sci-fi (pre-existing love of trek helps but it really doesn't relate to previous or later stuff).
41% RT, should be closer to 80.
I love Johnny Mnemonic, Burning Chrome is an amazing anthology and it was awesome see the film makers take a crack at the book. If someone could do a decent job of a Neuromancer movie, they could follow up with a remake of Johnny Mnemonic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Star Trek: the motion picture is a interesting one.
I found the story and the inevitable conclusion quite refreshing but people/fans are right to call out its pacing at times. There's alot of self indulgence in the film.
But I do enjoy it.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
3:10 to Yuma (remake): Absolutely love this film and seeing Russell Crowe and Christian Bale go at it is brilliant! Also a stunningly creepy performance from one of my "why aren't they massive stars?" actors Ben Foster

Adaptation: Charlie Kaufman writing with Nicolas Cage playing twins, what more needs to be said really?

Big Fish: Noted as the start of Tim Burton's downward trajectory but I love this film about the exaggerated fairytale-like stories fathers tell sons as children and the reality behind them. Never a dry eye at the end,

Blindspotting: Criminal in this year with what is going on in the world that more people don't know about this film! The most intense final 20-30mins in a film that I remember seeing in a long time and opened my eyes to the Black Lives Matter / Blue Lives Matter conflict.

Candy: Australian film starring Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish. About two seemingly match-made souls who are both drug-addicts. Has some really heart-breaking moments.

Charlie Wilson's War: BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT film which nobody knows about for some reason! Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Phillip Seymour Hoffman (who steals every scene!) about the US arming the Taliban in the Afghan/Soviet conflict. Did I mention it's bloody brilliant?

Cinderella Man: Boxing film with Russell Crowe as depression-era James J. Braddock. I remember a story about the studio giving people their money back for this but for the love of God I've no idea why! Crowe is just amazing in this!

The Fisher King: Ahead of it's time looking at the possession-based sense of worth in the 80s and a great commentary that is pretty valuable to look at today.

Galaxy Quest: Watch it for Alan Rickman alone!

Hell of High Water: A great film with a brilliant starring turn by Chris Pine as a brother who resorts to robbing banks to pay the mortgage.

Insomnia: Christopher Nolan-directed crime thriller with Al Pacino and the best performance from Robin Williams, creepy creepy creepy!

Intouchables: French film about a wealthy disabled man who hires a street-wise carer and the relationship they form. Absolutely hilarious! Was remade with Kevin Hart & Bryan Cranston in "The Upside" but isn't a patch on this.

The Jacket: Little-known sci-fi with Adrian Brody, Kiera Knightley and a great supporting role for a younger Daniel Craig about an asylum inmate who, as a weird punishment gets drugged up, put in a straight-jacket and put into a mortuary drawer for a set period of time for "sensory deprivation", but realises he can travel in time!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Great noir-who-dunnit from Shane Black who later did The Nice Guys. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer are just electric together.

Nightcrawler: Amazing film looking at the idea of car crash TV and what people will do to win ratings. Jake Gyllenhaal is so creepy in this it's genuinely uncomfortable to watch him at times.

Onward: Pixar's most recent offering. Putting it as under-rated as so few will have seen due to the lockdown. Wife and I saw it the week before closure and (having lost my father recently) I was absolutely in floods by the end of this.

Pleasanteville: Reese Witherspoon, Toby Maguire are siblings arguing about the TV when they get transported into the latter's favourite TV show. He thinks it's brilliant being in "the simpler time" but soon sees the ideology of the town is antiquated and dangerous. Amazing use of black and white vs colour to show the awakening of people in the show.

The Prestige: For my money it's Christopher Nolan's best film.

Road to Perdition: In the world of gangster films this is criminally overlooked. Tom Hanks as the "muscle" for a local kingpin (Paul Newman) going on the run. A great cast with Newman being mesmeric, Daniel Craig and Jude Law both being great, and a rain-soaked scene near the end which is so beautifully shot I have a video of it framed and mounted on my living room wall if the missus would allow it! Cannot believe this isn't out in 4K yet!

Serenity: Guardians of the Galaxy before it was cool and what Star Wars should have aimed for.

Sunshine: Yes the 3rd act is a bit off but this is one beautiful film.

Team America: World Police: So much more than just "Matt Damon!" - bloody brilliant satire.

Up in the Air: Jason Reitman with a brilliant film about isolationism and how unsustainable it is. George Clooney is a downsizing liaison who spends his life flying from place to place to co-ordinate the down-sizing of companies. His life is so vapid his main goal in life is to fly 1 million miles. Life and a woman gets in the way of this lifestyle and he quickly realises just how empty his life has been.
Some cracking films here but The Jacket is the pick. An amazing film that very few people have seen.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Definitely gets the credit it deserves, and then some in my opinion. For me it is more overrated. Technically an excellent film, of course, and the battle sequences are great - both the D-Day landings and the final battle. Beyond that it has a fairly nonsensical plot and an array of stereotypes for characters. For WW2 related material, I much prefer Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Dunkirk, etc.
Saving Private Ryan is a good action/adventure film but a bad war film. Everything after the Omaha Beach makes war seem cool, everybody wants to be the cool sniper quoting the bible as you headshot nazis or the teacher turn war hero tom hanks. The fact it's always on tv all the time and can be watch multiple times by people(Including myself here)is a failure of the film.

Shez

Warrior
Absolutely brilliant movie, that people dismiss before watching as just another MMA movie. Every single person who has watched it seems to have loved it, but it always surprises me how few have actually even had it on their radar. A Tom hardy masterclass

Mike Smalling

Warrior
Absolutely brilliant movie, that people dismiss before watching as just another MMA movie. Every single person who has watched it seems to have loved it, but it always surprises me how few have actually even had it on their radar. A Tom hardy masterclass
Yes! Also have to highlight Nick Nolte’s performance - so, so good!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Warrior
Yes! Also have to highlight Nick Nolte’s performance - so, so good!
:drool:

Mike Smalling

Amen to that! His despair at knowing he had been a shit father, and not knowing how to rectify that - so human
The good thing about Warrior, which can be said for many great movies, is that it is all about the characters - and of course that the actors are able to excellently portray those characters. MMA is the backdrop, but it is not a movie about MMA. It could have been boxing, polo or darts. You have very real characters with believable motivations, relationships and great arcs, which makes for great storytelling. Too many movies do not have this.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Manhunter.

Not sure if it's underrated. I liked it better than "Silence of the Lambs" (which I also rate highly). Class film form Michael Mann.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Manhunter.

Not sure if it's underrated. I liked it better than "Silence of the Lambs" (which I also rate highly). Class film form Michael Mann.
I also liked it more than Silence of the Lambs. Maybe I need to rewatch the latter, it just didn't do anything for me the first time I watched it.