Film Underrated Movies

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He's generally awful, but this book was, in my opinion, better than the movie
That depends on if you prefer reading vs watching a movie. I've always preferred reading the books since it has so much more details which don't always get translated to the movie.

Infra-red

I really love the 1986 Robert Harmon film The Hitcher. It's a great, nihilistic little film and Rutger Hauer's performance is absolutely fantastic.

Just don't bother watching the awful 2007 remake!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I might already have said it in this or a similar thread, but Sideways is a really good film that few people I know have seen.

Withnail

I really love the 1986 Robert Harmon film The Hitcher. It's a great, nihilistic little film and Rutger Hauer's performance is absolutely fantastic.

Just don't bother watching the awful 2007 remake!
I watched that years ago with my brother. I think I was about 12. That finger scene creeped us out.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The Hitcher is a good little b-movie, has quite a common concept though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Rising Sun with Wesley Snipes and Sean Connery is a very entertaining movie but not highly rated it seems.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Dead Man's Shoes.

I'm not sure it it's already been mentioned but it's an amazing film
Incredible film. So, so good. As a midlander myself I love the fact that this is filmed locally and paddy considines accent is perfect Derbyshire.

I love pretty much all Shane Meadows stuff but this is his best after this is England.

Widow

You ya cnut!
Love that bit

Incredible film. So, so good. As a midlander myself I love the fact that this is filmed locally and paddy considines accent is perfect Derbyshire.

I love pretty much all Shane Meadows stuff but this is his best after this is England.
Spot on. I was born and raised in Chesterfield so it was filmed within spitting distance

Drifter

American
Radius : Watched this on the Horror Channel recently. A cut above the usual b movie films on there and an original Steven king/Hitchcock feel about it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Last of the Mohicans

Barely ever mentioned and for me has one of the best villains and finale sequences in any film. The music is just phenomenal.

caid

Last of the Mohicans

Barely ever mentioned and for me has one of the best villains and finale sequences in any film. The music is just phenomenal.
Watched it recently, it holds up well.

Tarrou

rewatched A Time To Kill last night

it's not a masterpiece or anything but it's a great little film that I'd forgotten about

justsomebloke

Last of the Mohicans

I've always thought so too (including Trevor Jones' marvellous score). Never understood its lowly reputation. Yes, the characters are one-dimensional, but that goes with the genre territory. Davy Crockett and Captain Long John Silver are pretty one-dimensional too.

And, it does a good job making you take the level of actual atrocity and misery in that war seriously, to the point that it seems a bigger thing than the individual fates of the characters, which is something very few films manage, and which is a courageous take on this particular story.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd say it has one of the best 'villains' in film. As a kid I absolutely hated Magua, but as an adult, I almost respect him. Fighting to protect his lands and kill the man responsible for the death of his wife and children. I like how the film doesn't just make him a one-dimensional bad guy, as the films advances you begin to learn his motives and you start to become conflicted. By the end you see that he isn't a monster, he's trying to protect his people and has a vision for his people. He understands that if they continue down the same path they'd end up like the rest of the Natives in America and then they give him some compassion when he backs down on killing Alice. Great character, portrayed by a terrific actor.

Tell you something, must have been horrific for any peaceful person to live in North America during that era.

Bondi77

The Saint.
With Val kilmer,
I thought it was an enjoyable movie based on an old TV classic.

justsomebloke

I'd say it has one of the best 'villains' in film. As a kid I absolutely hated Magua, but as an adult, I almost respect him. Fighting to protect his lands and kill the man responsible for the death of his wife and children. I like how the film doesn't just make him a one-dimensional bad guy, as the films advances you begin to learn his motives and you start to become conflicted. By the end you see that he isn't a monster, he's trying to protect his people and has a vision for his people. He understands that if they continue down the same path they'd end up like the rest of the Natives in America and then they give him some compassion when he backs down on killing Alice. Great character, portrayed by a terrific actor.

Tell you something, must have been horrific for any peaceful person to live in North America during that era.
Good point that, Magua certainly is not a one-dimensional character.

Superunknown

I stumbled across Midnight Special a few years ago one night and loved it. It's quite "lowkey" in the way that it goes about its business. A sci-fi film that is more about a family drama in the same way that ET approached the genre in the past. I never, ever hear anybody talking about this film, but it's got a really great cast of Michael Shannon (brilliant actor, imo), Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver, and Sam Shepard. I watched it again last week and enjoyed it just as much the first time. A really nice film. I love the final third and the soundtrack throughout.

Another film that it reminds me of is Super 8, which doesn't seem to get talked about too much either. Stranger Things reminds me of that film, the whole vibe and the way the characters interact with each other.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Departed - yes it’s acclaimed by all. But it’s better than all of the acclaim. Watched it again today. It’s a perfect movie.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I stumbled across Midnight Special a few years ago one night and loved it. It's quite "lowkey" in the way that it goes about its business. A sci-fi film that is more about a family drama in the same way that ET approached the genre in the past. I never, ever hear anybody talking about this film, but it's got a really great cast of Michael Shannon (brilliant actor, imo), Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver, and Sam Shepard. I watched it again last week and enjoyed it just as much the first time. A really nice film. I love the final third and the soundtrack throughout.
Good shout. Fantastic movie that doesn’t get talked about enough.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I’ve never seen it. May put on tonight. Just checked where it’s streaming. On iPlayer at the mo if that helps anyone.

Superunknown

It really doesn't. I can't even remember seeing any cinema ads for it, which is a bit odd considering that it's got a pretty good cast. Maybe it's just not quite "loud" enough or have enough action scenes for the average cinema go-er. I'm a big fan of it, though.

I’ve never seen it. May put on tonight. Just checked where it’s streaming. On iPlayer at the mo if that helps anyone.
Go for it. It's best to go into it with no expectations or info at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good to see this thread doing God’s work and helping folk see decent movies that might have otherwise passed them by.

I’ll add one.

Peanut Butter Falcon
Not sure if this is underrated because I don’t know how it was rated. Did probably slip below the radar though. Just a really lovely, warm-hearted film which proves that yer man from Transformers who turned out to be a bit of a bell end is actually magnetic as hell when he’s on form. And he’s definitely on form here. Zack Gottsagen, in his first movie, is also terrific. Apparently the movie was written specifically for him, after he blew the director away at a camp for actors with disabilities. Beautifully shot and leisurely paced, with a great soundtrack and a cracking cameo that will go down a bomb with all the old farts who grew up watching WWF before the F became an E. Relax into it like a warm bath.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

It really doesn't. I can't even remember seeing any cinema ads for it, which is a bit odd considering that it's got a pretty good cast. Maybe it's just not quite "loud" enough or have enough action scenes for the average cinema go-er. I'm a big fan of it, though.

Go for it. It's best to go into it with no expectations or info at all.
Dynamite start.

Paused at the car accident / state trooper scene. Will finish chores and fanny around then resume when I’m not conscious of having other stuff to do.

lsd

The Oracle

The Lighthouse.

Torturously mind-blowing.

Just watched this today and awful ending from such a grim show as well

Acting was excellent from both men but as is so often the case when it's over you wonder if anything actually happened for real in the film or not

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
The Saint.
With Val kilmer,
I thought it was an enjoyable movie based on an old TV classic.
I love it. Helps that Elizabeth Shue is smoking hot. I can even forgive her for pronouncing water as watter.