United...1990s Liverpool re-enacted?

Peanut Butter

You bitter Liverpool fans just hope and pray we become the 'Liverpool of the 90s' and this thread is just to get a rise out of most Utd fans here. Rafawhateverhisnameis and Pickles are always at it.

Seriously, I wouldn't dream of joining a Liverpool fans forum to attempt thinly veiled digs at their own team and manager but each to his own.

The amount of Liverpool fans on here these days is quite depressing. Whilst it's nice to hear the odd rival fan's view of the football world, I didn't register at RedCafe to see hordes of desperate Liverpool fans clinging onto whatever it is they cling onto these days. If I wanted top bantz with bitter Liverpool fans I would post on r/soccer.

We even get them posting in our matchday threads as well now - can't avoid the feckers.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
You bitter Liverpool fans just hope and pray we become the 'Liverpool of the 90s' and this thread is just to get a rise out of most Utd fans here. Rafawhateverhisnameis and Pickles are always at it.

Seriously, I wouldn't dream of joining a Liverpool fans forum to attempt thinly veiled digs at their own team and manager but each to his own.

The amount of Liverpool fans on here these days is quite depressing. Whilst it's nice to hear the odd rival fan's view of the football world, I didn't register at RedCafe to see hordes of desperate Liverpool fans clinging onto whatever it is they cling onto these days. If I wanted top bantz with bitter Liverpool fans I would post on r/soccer.

We even get them posting in our matchday threads as well now - can't avoid the feckers.
Surely the answer then is to avoid Liverpool related threads. There's plenty of other threads to get involved in. This place would quickly become RAWK if you got rid of oppo fans.

redman5

What's it been like winning 1 trophy in 11 years and counting?
Listen mate, I've been posting on here for over 10 years & seen my side win 1 trophy. In that time I've seen United win pretty much all there is to win. Do you honestly think I'm affected by having people constantly remind me of our lack of trophies over the past decade ? If it did bother me I certainly wouldn't still be posting on a Manchester United form. I consider myself fortunate to have been a young man when I witnessed my team dominate at home & abroad. Anything we win now is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. But keep plugging away if you think it'll push my buttons. You'll get tired before I do & probably spit your dummy out complaining about the number of Liverpool fans on the Caf.

I can certainly take the stick. Can you though ?

Djemba-Djemba

Listen mate, I've been posting on here for over 10 years & seen my side win 1 trophy. In that time I've seen United win pretty much all there is to win. Do you honestly think I'm affected by having people constantly remind me of our lack of trophies over the past decade ? If it did bother me I certainly wouldn't still be posting on a Manchester United form. I consider myself fortunate to have been a young man when I witnessed my team dominate at home & abroad. Anything we win now is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. But keep plugging away if you think it'll push my buttons. You'll get tired before I do & probably spit your dummy out complaining about the number of Liverpool fans on the Caf.

I can certainly take the stick. Can you though ?
Yeah nothing says not bothered like a long paragraph of ranting. You're clearly ice cool

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
A thread started by a Liverpool fan whose opinion is largely only shared by Liverpool fans. Wonderful stuff.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The biggest fear is becoming Liverpool. The thing is Liverpool regularly aren't in Europe but they also never win anything. We aren't doing the latter but we are way off the title every year, just like they were in the early 90's.

Still, it's 2 completely different teams in 2 completely different eras. Surely we won't still be without a title in 2040?

redman5

Aye. Of course.

For what it's worth though I like having rival fans on here. Be boring if we all agreed.
I enjoy posting on here too. Being a Liverpool supporter, I fully expect to take a lot of flak, although it's nowhere as bad as the early days when a lot of it was personal :lol:

You're right of course, it really would be boring if all the posts just consisted of: 'Liverpool are shit' & numerous replies of 'great post', 'well said ha,ha,ha'. I'd even argue that one of the best posters ever on here was a Liverpool fan. The legendary Davo. He was a wind-up merchant but really funny with it. We could do with a few more like him just to remind people that at the end of the day football doesn't always have to be so serious.

Ferguson

United were winning major trophies when Liverpool started to decline. Liverpool have won nothing since Fergie retired.

If United are becoming Liverpool, then what are Liverpool becoming? Everton?

No one should count their chickens just yet though. Rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

montpelier

The tipping point for me on the decline of the LFC is the Palace semi final 4-3 game somehow. Fantastic game of football too.

1 - Kenny looking confused

2 - the gruesome grey kit (might have affected their passing I suppose)

3 - shambles set piece defending - they could be got at after this (revisionist history maybe)

4 - the trademark very soft penalty not even helping - more stages of Staunton going down here than an Apollo rocket

5 - the YAWN shite rudely interrupted by the Palace equaliser for 3-3 - :lol:

In a different timeline, they'd have done the Double in 1988, 1989 & 1990, :(. Can you imagine what they would have been like?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We had plenty of money, but the lure of Real Madrid came calling. A bit like your Ronaldo I suppose.
Plenty of money? You were nowhere near the top clubs in Europe for what you could pay. Even we couldn't match the big bucks from Italy for example. Or wouldn't anyway.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Despite best efforts, this has well and truly been derailed. Genuinely some really interesting responses by considered posters - some agree some don't.

Frustrating. Some posters seem to scramble round this forum to post the same glib Liverpool jibes regardless of the thread's intention. It's literally the same four or five fanboys who wet their knickers in delight at the sight of a Liverpool-related thread: *copy/paste* thread derailed, job done.

Well done boys, the winning the internet fing is yours again.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I don't think anyone truly believes United's will become Liverpool do they? It's a fun soundbite for Liverpool fans, desperate to exorcise their own misery. And it's a nice if lazy comparison that even United fans throw out when the club does something a bit 'Liverpooly'.

But really, I think for United to truly do a Liverpool we'd have to:

- substantially reduce the size of our stadium for no reason
- cancel all our sponsorship deals
- hire managers due to some emotional link to the club or based on personality ("he gets us la")
- embark on possibly the worst long term player recruitment strategy in modern European football
- have our board and owners lose all sense of ambition and business sense
- behave in a parochial, small minded and emotional way over all matters
- obsess over rivals rather than improving our own situation
- tarnish the club's name beyond repair with some heinous PR gaffes

If anything it's great that Liverpool have been and continue to be an example of exactly how not to run a football club. United seem to be doing everything possible to not emulate Liverpool, and the portents are fairly good at this moment. LFC are indeed a great example for us, for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe without the example of Liverpool we'd have given the job to Gary Neville or Giggs. We'd have tried to plod along doing the same old things hoping that if they worked before they'll work again. We wouldn't have bothered developing commercially because it wasn't the United way or something. We'd blame everyone but ourselves for our predicament. And when we had a set back, we'd get misty eyed and emotional about the past rather than trying to get on with the future.

If the question is are United in danger of not dominating English football in the same manner as previously, I would say that that is not only very likely, but perfectly acceptable. Ferguson was the greatest manger of all time. We won't see anything like that again, not here or at our rivals. So we just need to keep winning stuff and ensure we're at least in the hunt for titles. Liverpool have competed for about 2 titles in almost 30 years. United would have to suffer a perfect storm of incompetence similar to the above to see a similar outcome.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
When Dalglish resigned in 1991, although we couldn't see it at the time, the success link was broken. He was the 4th consecutive Liverpool manager to put a league title in the trophy cabinet. The reason for our continued success was based on building a spirit & an identity within not just the team, but the club itself. When Kenny called it a day that identity & spirit was lost. Such a thing actually comes from within, but we thought we could buy it externally. If United want to get back to their title-winning days maybe they should learn from our mistakes. Mourinho might eventually buy them a league title. But then again he might not. However, I'm not sure he's the man who'll successful build new foundations built on identity & spirit.
I disagree. If anything, Chelsea have been reaping the benefits of his first stint + refresh for over a decade.

Even after he left and they went through various managers, they had that core strength, mentality and belief running through their spine. Whenever they were in trouble, it reared up its head and pulled them through.

Avram feckin' Grant got them to a CL final and Roberto di Matteo (what is he up to?) got them a CL win. Anybody that knows anything about football will tell you that was more to Mourinho's credit than Di Matteo's. The identity and the way they went about it had José's fingerprints all over.

TheReligion

Abusive
You know what makes me laugh about that, is that you Premiership Pups actually believe it. Those who actually lived through our domination of the English & European game know differently. You obviously didn't witness it just as you've never witnessed your own side do likewise. Keep spending all that money & who knows, one day, Europe might just fall at your feet the way they did in the past for us, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, & AC Milan.
You were never the best in the world though sadly. Something which United can boast.

Most successful English club ever

Let that sink in. Well and truly off your perch :smirk:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
This is as lazy a comparison as the need for people to constantly call any new upcoming player the next 'Messi' or 'Neymar'

Sadly football fans tend to go into this mode of lazy group think and try and equate two different scenarios because of one or two little similarities.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not a chance. That would mean no big ears taking up permanent residence at Anfield. I've seen my club become champions of England on many occasions. Champions of Europe is a much better feeling.
Winning the PL for the first ever time after nearly 30 years.

You'd take that in a heartbeat.