United activate option to extend Victor Lindelof's contract until 2025

gajender

@golden_blunder you must be really thrilled atleast another year for your favourite at United . Jokes aside need to move him on in Summer .

honirelandboy

Happy enough with that, its only an eighteen month contract and will do as a backup defender. We can still sell him if needed next Summer.

el3mel

He's a great squad option, and served us well whenever he was called to first team. The last we need at the moment is replacing our bench when our main starting lineup needs a lot of work. Good decision.

Oranges038

As long as it's like Fred and only to get a fee for him in the summer then I don't see a problem.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Geebs in shambles

Honestly I don't mind it. Even if we decide to get rid, he's a player I don't think we'd have trouble finding a buyer for.

userman

Makes sense for us to trigger the option, while at the same time looking to sell him in the summer. Worst case he is an adequate backup CB for next season if he’s not sold.

JimiboyX

As much as he is the living embodiment of the mediocrity at the club over the past decade, this probably isn't a bad idea.

It's only an extra year and there are much bigger problems to address in the next 2 years just amongst overpaid centre backs alone, let alone across the rest of the team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's a great squad option, and served us well whenever he was called to first team. The last we need at the moment is replacing our bench when our main starting lineup needs a lot of work. Good decision.
Like McTominay, just being round the team a lot doesn't make him a good squad option. He isn't and never has been anywhere near good enough.

gajender

Another 6 months. We could still sell him this summer - think we did the exact same with Fred.
Kind of agree hope we sell him in Summer , infact should be looking to move on every one of our CB's except Martinez .

GMoore23

feck sake

Mediocrity being rewarded at United again
He's a decent backup CB. It's not his fault Varane and Martinez have been crocked the whole season.
I'm happy with him as the 4th choice CB for a couple more seasons.
We need to bring in a new 1st choice partner for Martinez. Get rid of Varane in the summer who'll be 31 and is made of glass.

el3mel

Like McTominay, just being round the team a lot doesn't make him a good squad option. He isn't and never has been anywhere near good enough.
Scott was a good squad option whom we decided to make a main player and built the team around him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Was worried we’d given him a 5 year deal for a second. Another year isn’t a bad idea, as long as we make plans that mean he isn’t relied on as a starter.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

We did the same thing with Fred this time last year. Hopefully we follow in the same vein and sell him in the summer. We need to stop rewarding mediocrity.

wolvored

I agree with the posters that say a summer sale is on. May get 10-15 mill if lucky.

Abraxas

Not a fan of his play but they were probably backed into a bit of a corner with Varane's future looking uncertain and his unreliability even when he does feature. We also have the Harry Maguire situation which could play out again when everyone is fit, this manager is not going to suddenly rate him. Baring in mind we have the corpse of Jonny Evans on the books, that's how bleak our depth is.

So with that in mind I think Lindelof is a bit of a placeholder for the club that's generally available and "does a job." Not a great one, mind. But it's financially prudent to add another year to an existing player while the rest of the mess can be sorted out and funds diverted to doing just that.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Lindelof is the ideal backup so I'm happy about this.

You live in a fantasy world if you expect to have a much better CB than him on the bench who's also happy with his role.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Extension makes sense. Not that bothered either way whether he is sold this summer or stays for another year, but both seem better options than letting him leave for free at the end of this season.

Evans would be 35/36 next season and his contract also runs out this summer. Plus both Maguire and Varane having been quite heavily linked with moves away at various points themselves. With that much uncertainty in Lindelof's position there's no harm in having the option of keeping him for another season.

nakpodiareuben

feck sake

Don't think he is mediocre. For a backup defender, he is decent particularly how ww want to play. There will be no increase in wages, no need to just let people go. Plus we don't know which defender is coming on the summer and who is leaving. It's a good deal. Though I don't expect martial to enjoy similar action

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's more the correct use of a "protect the value" minimal length extension.

Rather than release him then have to spend 30-40m on a back up centre back

nakpodiareuben

On the contrary, I think he is one of our defenders who can still play 4-5 seasons in a decent club/league. He is not that bad. His only problem is physicality and aerial weakness. Good reading of the game and highly technical. Would be really good in spain

izec

Happy enough with that, its only an eighteen month contract and will do as a backup defender. We can still sell him if needed next Summer.
We wont sell him. Varane will likely leave and we have a limited budget, so 2 CBs wont be leaving and replaced. Much more likely that we will extend his contract next summer than sell him. Or he will leave on a free if he wants more game time and a last big contract.

Hal9000

feck sake

Not really rewarded, just gives us a chance to get value this summer and he won't be on higher wages.

With Varane potentially going, Evans probably leaving, it's sensible thing to do.

Marcelinho87

feck sake

rewarded how, it’s an optional extra year which keeps him on the same terms but holds his value instead of it plummeting towards a free.

our club can’t win, we don’t sell well but when we protect value we are rewarding mediocrity.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Makes sense. He's a decent player, and is good to be a squad player here. We need to replace Maguire and Varane anyway this summer who are more unhappy if they aren't starting. Martinez, Lindelof and Kambwala (and Evans as a 5th) and then bring in a new CB who can stay fit and that's a decent group.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Meh not too fussed about this , he doesn’t start majority of the time and better than wasting money on another sub par back up, he’s played well when needed.

Telsim

Triggering the clause makes sense.

"Important part of plans" does not.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Some predictably stupid reactions to this. Makes perfect sense even if you want to sell.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Unlike McTominay, most of the time Lindelof is fine as a squad player. There's not many clubs around that would have a better 4th choice central defender. Unfortunately a lot of the time he was actually first choice, but that's not his fault.

The issue is that he has had a few periods where he's been downright poor (including some of this season). It hasn't been as often as is often made out, but it has been enough that it would be good to upgrade even if it's not a priority.

Yanited__

I am not totally against this. Is he good enough to start when everyone is fit? No. But I think Erik Ten Hag already knows that. The only reason Lindelof has played is because of the injuries.

As a squad player, he's fine in my opinion. The argument of selling him comes down to whether we can find a better CB who can be a squad player. In my opinion, that's not a priority right now. The priority should be to fix other key positions in the squad and replace other starters first