United Airlines forcibly remove passenger from overbooked flight

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What does overbooked mean? Is it his fault or theirs?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What an absolute shambles.

They should have offered people the chance to take a later flight at no extra cost, or for a partial refund and avoid bad publicity.
It didn't need to come to this at all.

Nogbadthebad

Since when are US Marshall's involved in a private transaction dispute (which is what that was, he had paid, they did not want to provide the service he paid for)?

They should have been nowhere near that situation.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Don't American airlines (Not necessarily AA) do this regularly? Overbook with an aim to reach capacity every time? Not okay.
Don't most airlines do the same? Usually it works out fine as someone volunteers to take the next flight and gets free coupons/vouchers in return.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I wish a huge airline did that to me. I'd sue the shite out of them!

Phil

United treat everyone be it staff or passengers like crap in my experience.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Here is a bit about overbooking. It is done in part because airlines know on average they will have some no-shows. When that doesn't happen, bumping begins.

Definitely a crap way to treat customers.

kps88

If the flight was overbooked and no one volunteered to leave in exchange for the usual perks, I guess they would have to pick someone at random and ask them to leave. If the person refused, I could understand law enforcement having no choice but to forcibly remove them.

But that's a terrible statement put out by the airline. We definitely need more context with regards to what went on before that video.

Marcelinho87

What an absolute shambles.

They should have offered people the chance to take a later flight at no extra cost, or for a partial refund and avoid bad publicity.
It didn't need to come to this at all.

They first offered $400 to people to get off then $800 then had a computer randomly select.

He was one of the selected and he still refused, citing he had patients to see, so they forcibly removed him which was disgusting.

Also, I hear american airlines often overbook on purpose to oversell seats in the hope somebody doesn't arrive for theirs, works well for them mostly.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
The guy was already seated, wouldn't it be *fairer* (but ofcourse, still quite unfair) to pick an unseated person/persons then?

EDIT: Ah, thanks, @Marcelinho87 for more info. Leave it to computers. :cool:

But man, no volunteers for even $800. :houllier:

facund

Why not just bump the person not already seated or the last person to check-in?

This is why I always carry a can of Pepsi with me.

Marcelinho87

The guy was already seated, wouldn't it be *fairer* (but ofcourse, still quite unfair) to pick an unseated person/persons then?

EDIT: Ah, thanks, @Marcelinho87 for more info. Leave it to computers. :cool:

But man, no volunteers for even $800. :houllier:
$800 wouldn't be that much if they were forced to miss a day or two at work plus considering the cost of the flight in the first place, they would probably be up $3-400...

Nobody should have to leave, greedy cnuts should'nt purposely overbook.

2 man midfield

Here is a bit about overbooking. It is done in part because airlines know on average they will have some no-shows. When that doesn't happen, bumping begins.

That's a shit way to treat customers. Overselling shouldn't be allowed.

Manny

Grammar Police

Why not just compensate the passenger that was late and tell them the planes full? Why drag off a guy who was already seated?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Overbooking is standard practice, unfortunately (but is needed to keep prices lowish)...
But this looks awful, and I hope it turns into hell for the company.

2 man midfield

As for "randomly generated" I'd have liked to see them pick on some 6'6" musclebound guy rather than the Asian man with glasses.

JustAFan

Why not just compensate the passenger that was late and tell them the planes full? Why drag off a guy who was already seated?
That would be how I would do it, well actually I probably would not oversell planes. Instead, feck the no-shows, I get to keep their money, maybe if they have a good excuse and proof of the excuse I might refund them (ie they died).

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So the airline needed to reposition crew for a subsequent flight and needed the seats for their own staff; it gets worse the more you read. It's not like a large carrier such as United can't afford to have a few seats left open for these eventualities either.

2 man midfield

That would be how I would do it, well actually I probably would not oversell planes. Instead, feck the no-shows, I get to keep their money, maybe if they have a good excuse and proof of the excuse I might refund them (ie they died).
Somewhere, Michael O'Leary is furiously making notes.

JustAFan

So the airline needed to reposition crew for a subsequent flight and needed the seats for their own staff; it gets worse the more you read.
Yeah they should be able to plan for that also. Though you can get weather delays and such that screw up the planning. But still, don't put people onboard just turn them away at the gate and compensate them. Seems fairly easy to do.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Though it sounds like many airlines put themselves in the position of having no shows because people who need to change often find it cheaper just to no-show and buy a new ticket for when they can travel.

http://elliott.org/the-navigator/why-some-air-travelers-are-pulling-a-noshow/
When I book tickets for my colleagues, I often find this. Normally like a €30 charge for a €35 ticket. But then you also pay the increase in ticket price, or something, so it makes no difference. Edit - Obviously these are cheap flights in the first place though.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Though it sounds like many airlines put themselves in the position of having no shows because people who need to change often find it cheaper just to no-show and buy a new ticket for when they can travel.

http://elliott.org/the-navigator/why-some-air-travelers-are-pulling-a-noshow/
From the above:
When Laura Attwood wanted to change her recent ticket on Alaska Airlines from Anchorage to Ketchikan to an earlier flight on the same day, the carrier told her that it would be happy to make the change as long as she paid a $100 fee. She refused, choosing instead to cash in miles for a new flight.

“In fact, I checked in and picked my seat on the flight I wasn’t going to make, and confirmed it,” says Attwood, who lives in Maple Bluff, Wis. “That way, they couldn’t resell my seat. I was so mad that I had to pay a change fee.”
Depending on the amount of notice given to the airline and the reason for the switch, a change fee isn't unreasonable. The woman has gone out of her way, and simply made work for some unrelated employee who works at the terminal.

Last edited:

Tarrou

This happened to a lad I used to manage, he was from from Lithuania and he missed some wedding back home because of it. Security literally dragged him off the plane after he'd checked in and everything - with some random euro company like Whizz Air or something. They offered him a measly compensation package there and then (few hundy and some vouchers off future flights), but he dug in and tried to take it to court - ending up spending thousands on it and last I heard never got anywhere.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
From the above:

Depending on the amount of notice given to the airline and the reason for the switch, a change fee isn't unreasonable. The woman ahs gone out her way, and simply made work for some unrelated employee who works at the terminal.
"I was so mad that I didn't read the fine print!"

Stupid people being assholes.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This happened to a lad I used to manage, he was from from Lithuania and he missed some wedding back home because of it. Security literally dragged him off the plane after he'd checked in and everything - with some random euro company like Whizz Air or something. They offered him a measly compensation package there and then (few hundy and some vouchers off future flights), but he dug in and tried to take it to court - ending up spending thousands on it and last I heard never got anywhere.
Yeah I imagine this is the case if you don't have good reputation up against a team of high price lawyers.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A bit police-statish for me. That said, what the feck was the passenger thinking he could just remain on the plane despite having been asked to get off.

Akshay

Staff
Overbooking is fine but the way for the airline to deal with it is by offering incentives for passengers to switch flights. If no one wanted to switch at $800 you offer more. I hope this blows up in their face and makes airlines change policy.

JustAFan

A bit police-statish for me. That said, what the feck was the passenger thinking he could just remain on the plane despite having been asked to get off.
Yeah it was only going to end one way. There comes a time when you have to decide where to fight the battle. On the plane with law enforcement involved, not the place. You will end up off the plane.

JustAFan

From the above:

Depending on the amount of notice given to the airline and the reason for the switch, a change fee isn't unreasonable. The woman has gone out of her way, and simply made work for some unrelated employee who works at the terminal.
Yeah, it is not unreasonable to charge a few in most cases, but the downside to it is that people will just do the math and figure it might be cheaper just to not cancel the other ticket.